Lip Lift at Long Last! - Baton Rouge, LA

After doing extensive research on lip lifts for...

After doing extensive research on lip lifts for over a year, and consulting with several doctors around the country who specialize in lip lifts, I selected Dr. Perenack in Baton Rouge and traveled from my home in Scottsdale, AZ to have it done.

My main goal was to reduce the length of my long upper lip (which was 20mm) and balance my features. Gaining some tooth show (I had absolutely nine) would be a plus, and I also hoped to roll the lip up to remedy how flat it was from the side view (ugh, very aging). I am 51 years old so my goal was not to get full, pouty Hollywood lips. At my age I just wanted wanted a natural, non-surgical look.

Dr. Perenack excised 6 mm of skin (he didn't cut or hem the muscle; this was a skin-only lip lift; be sure to research both methods carefully); he excised 7 mm in one small area of my upper lip where I had some assymetry. I opted for local anesthetic and experienced no pain. Dr. P is so good at this, I didn't even feel the numbing shots into my lips and gums, which others have described as painful. Before he gave me the numbing shots, he applied a thick numbing paste to the inside of my gums. So he numbed me for the numbing shots!

In the OR, I lay on the surgical table and listened to John Mayer and Maroon 5. I wasn't scared and I never felt pain the entire time. Dr. P excised the strip of skin, then did two layers of stitching, then zapped the seam with a laser and then did a third and final layer of stitches. He also put some Juvederm Ultra into my lower lip and some Juvederm Ultra Plus in the lip corner crevices (not everyone will need this; at 51, my lips are thinning and I'm getting some downward cracks at the corners). Then I was done and drove myself back to my hotel room where I spent the evening icing my lips.

I will post pics of my lips "Before" with markings Dr. P made prior to the surgery; of my lips immediately after surgery and of Day One post-procedure, which is where I'm at right now. Of course I'm a swollen mess right now but that will resolve with each passing day. I still have no tooth show but Dr. P says once the swelling is gone he thinks I will have 1.2 mm of tooth show. I will post more pics as I heal!

Here are some photos

Will add more...

Day One Photos

The scar is neat and tidy - I can tell it's going to look great when I'm done healing.

Photos 3 Days Post-Procedure

No pain whatsoever. Somb numbness, tightness and the bruises darkened. I look like I have a bruise-mustache! Am hanging on the homefront, laying low and just patiently waiting it out...

Pics 3 Days Post

More Pics 3 Days Post

Feeling discouraged on Day 10...

Trying to be patient - I'm sure everyone heals at a different pace but wouldn't you know I'd be on the slow side. I was supposed to be back at work today but I'm still bruised and the incision is still on the red-and-raw side so I called in sick. I have one stitch that's trying to poke its way out and looks like a pimple, even though it's not. Ideally I need the rest of this week to hide out but I won't be able to pull that off at work. Hopefully when I go back tomorrow I will just look like my nose is raw from a nasty head cold?

Also, I am starting to worry that I should have had more mm of skin excised - I still have zero tooth show. Again, am trying to be patient and not to draw premature conclusions. But what what a drag would it be to have to do it all over again several months from now...

So one thing I can advise those of you who are considering a lip lift is to ask your doctor during your consultation, "What happens if the result is too conservative and I need a revision?" I never thought to ask Dr. Perenack this question so I don't know how it would work in terms of cost...does he charge a reduced amount, etc. Right now I feel depressed because it seems like I paid a ton of money to go from having a really long upper lip to a on-the-longish side upper lip! Dr. Perenack did tell me he leans toward the conservative and of course that sure beats the alternative of having too much taken out...but right now I have to say the jury is still out for me. Keep you posted!

Photos Day 10

I am also going to research veneers and corner of the mouth lift as I believe both would help enhance my result. Argh, more time and money!

Check out how much prettier in profile post-lip lift!

I hadn't really mentioned before how much Dr. Perenack improved my profile with his lip lift technique, but I really love it. So natural-looking - subtle yet what a difference! Thank you, Dr. Perenack.

One month post-op

Hi everyone, I'm posting more pics - today is my one-month marker and the results from my lip lift keep getting better. Still zero tooth show - unless I tilt my head back a bit - but I'm still glad I did it; it's definitely been an improvement! I'm posting pics below. I have had some post-op inflamed cyst-like nodules along my incision line. Dr. Perenack called in a prescription for doxycycline and it went away, but yesterday I got another new one. So he is refilling the doxy. Dr. Perenack has called me a couple of times to check in. The downside to traveling a long distance to have a surgical procedure is that you can't just pop in to see your doc if you have any post-op issues. But at least Dr. P. responds right away which I appreciate. I still have some numbness and a little swelling along the incision line but that's to be expected at only one month out. The incision is a bit inflamed from the persisting nodules. Hopefully it will be gone soon - Monday is my birthday followed by Christmas with social activities. But makeup helps cover it up, thank goodness. Pics posted below. Merry Christmas RealSelf Sisters! Thank you all for your ongoing support!

Photos - one month post-op

Very natural-looking results, nothing fake that screams surgery, thank God (and thanks Dr. Perenack)! Still hoping for a smidge of tooth show...Dr. P says it's still possible as the swelling subsists and things continue to "settle." The centering under the columella is improving as the swelling goes down, too.

7 weeks post-op

Two Months Post

Still have some numbness and stiffness around the incision area, but the results definitely look natural. Posting new pics!

10 Weeks Post-Op

Swelling and numbness continue to dissipate each week. Very natural-looking results. Still no tooth show in repose.
Baton Rouge Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Perenack is a pro at the Lip Lift procedure. He teaches this procedure to other doctors and has been doing it for decades. He has a gentle demeanor and I felt comfortable with him. He is very meticulous and leans toward the conservative, which I appreciate since I am a believer in "less is more" when it comes to cosmetic procedures. He explained each step of the procedure as I was having it done, and called me that night to personally follow up, see how I was doing, and if I had any questions or concerns.

Also, you look great! :) I had to comment on your posts because I just read the comment you posted about a reaction to Vicryl and/or Catgut, which seems to explain my problem. My situation is a bit tricky, mostly because I don't understand what's going on. I am right now scared out of my wits. What do I do? Will my incision line pop open? My lip-lift was on April 2nd, I spent 5 days in a nearby hotel, recovering, and then got on a transatlantic flight. I have had plenty of rest since then, since I had taken another week off, and then had a bad back, so was out of work at least 12 work days. So you'd think I'd be near-perfect by now, but noooo! Suddenly, after 19-20 days, the line is red, bubbly, itchy and painful. I have shooting pains that feel really deep, close to my upper gum-line, i.e. deep inside the tissues. I clean the line every day with alcohol prep pads. Of course, I have camouflage make-up on, now that I'm back at work. But I take it off as soon as I get home. After finishing the one round of antibiotics the surgeon gave me, I have been taking Ibuprofen every day, trying to keep infection at bay. no such luck, apparently. What happens now? Is this thing going to explode in the middle of my face? So scared! I did write to the doctor and his explanation was similar to what you mentioned about the hair follicles and sweat-glands in one of your comments, but my question is, if this is normal, where does it lead, and where will it end? Thank you.
Love your smile. I definitely see a difference. Never knew lip lift can do such wonders. The procedure after results look painful! Ouch. Maybe it just looked more painful than it really was. I can't imagine having this kind of surgery around my nose/mouth. Great results!! :)
Thank you, BR Cutie! I'm so glad I did it. The result is very natural looking. The cysts finally went totally away by week 4. That was the worst part. The rest of recovery was a breeze. :)
Oh wow, you received a perfect result. It's natural but makes a big difference in your profile; you look much younger now.
Thank you! Man, I am telling you, a long flat lip is soooo aging! I'm so glad I did this. My only regret is not doing it sooner.
No kidding. Sadly I see a long flaccid lip every time I look in the mirror. I'll be so happy when I am able to get it taken care of too. Seeing positive RS results are encouraging. Blessings!
You look beautiful. I love how your lip lift came out.
Thank you!
You look gorgeous! Love the results of your lip lift. I'm 21 and still cannot decide whether to do permalip or a lip lift but think this may have helped me make my mind up! Just hope I can find a surgeon as good as yours in the UK x
Thank you so much! I wonder if Dr. Perenack knows of a lip lift specialist in the U.K.?
Hey MM: Finally you have relief from the dreaded cysts along the incision. You scar looks great. You have a great result. Maybellineo
Great. Now you made me want THIS surgery along with my BBL
I agree with the others about the scar not being visible. He made the junction so smooth. Gorgeous profile pic! Thanks for sharing.
LOL I know, right?! There's always some intriguing cosmetic procedure to learn about on RealSelf...
I know, right?! I read postings on RealSelf and think "Dang, I want that too!' Ah, to have unlimited funds to do these cosmetic ebhancenent
You look fantastic - the scar is not even visible in the pictures! Congratulations! Debra
Thank you Debra! And I forgot to mention, there is ZERO makeup on the incision line!
My oral-maxofacial surgeon (probably the best in Washington DC) has edited a book called Cosmesis of the Mouth, Face and Jaw and on the section on lip lifts he references Dr. Perenack and has high respect for him. He did try to talk me out of it as he is worriedly my bad dental work will show although Dr Rodriguez wasn't worried about that. To show me, he has put perlane in the sagging part of my upper lift which evened it out a bit but I'm still convinced I want to have it - the problem now is I will have to wait until the perlane is gone! After seeing your results, I see what a beautiful change it makes - you must feel so happy it's behind you and you look so great! Good luck with the chin on the 6th!! I'm sure it will go well too but these things always take longer to heal than the doctors say - in my opinion. Anyway, I'm very, very happy for you!!! Enjoy!
I will have to read that book! The surgeon who is doing my chin reduction wrote the Forward in the book, "Chasing Beauty" and is the same surgeon who salvaged the book author's face from prior bad plastic surgery. Doctor selection is everything. Thank you for the sweet compliment - it truly means a lot.
This is very impressive. I just looked up that book on Amazon and it looks like Dr. Perenack wrote the chapter on lip lifts.
And a few other books too. Definitely a Master at Lip Lifts. Really nice demeanor, too.
your profile looks gorgeous, thought i was looking at a pic of cameron diaz !
Omigosh, I wish! But thank you!!
I was going to say the same thing! The pic in profile looks amazing. You definitely look like an actress. I can't put my finger on it, but as soon as the name pops into my head, I will let you know.
Hey MaybellineO, if/when you get a chance, will you please PM me a couple of current pics of your lips post second LL? As for your eyes, I thought they looked great but it's nice to know Dr. P will take care of it for you if you want a bit more skin removed. He truly seems like a great guy and definitely talented facial surgeon.