Chin Lipo or Neck Lift - 35 y.o.

I have a consultation for a Breast Augmentation...

I have a consultation for a Breast Augmentation this Tuesday. During my visit, I was planning on asking them about chin lipo and possibly lipo of the stomach, flanks, bra fat and maybe thighs. I am not 100% sure about the lipo but I want the breast aug.

My concern is that the fat under my chin will only get worse as you can't really "work out" that area too much. I mean there are exercises for the chin I have tried but I don't think this is an area that exercising works out well with. My grandma and mom both have a double chin and jowls! I started to notice my jowls more, too, especially in photos! I'd like to take care of this now at the same time as the BA if possible (if it's not too much more money).

I heard that you can do Ulthera to help with the chin fat but it's expensive and may not work. Also, I read it's painful. If I'm going to pay that much money I might as well do something that definately works. Anyone get Ulthera already and can share their thoughts?

Can anyone who has had this done give me some advice or share their story? Is it worth it? How long was your downtime?

Not sure about expected cost yet as I haven't had consult with PS yet.

Had My Consult - Recommendations By Dr. Gruenwald

I had my consultation with Dr. Gruenwald today. He's close to my work and house so I'm lucky I didn't have to travel far. After discussing my breast augmentation, I asked him about lipo of the stomach and neck. He said I could do some lipo of the stomach if desired but did not recommend lipo for my chin. He said that it was a bad idea as it would leave me with hanging skin on my neck. I was surprised as I thought my neck skin would bounce back because I'm young, and I thought I didn't have much fat there. He recommended a neck lift called a lipectomy. A nurse came in to get me to take before photos in another room. Afterwards I went back to my exam room and got dressed. After that, I went into another office to discuss prices and scheduling. I got four quotes including the neck lift. The neck lift or Submental Lipectomy Platysmaplasty would cost $7,615!!! I was totally shocked!! That was more money than lipo of my stomach and breast aug together!!! I decided not to move forward with this procedure at this time and to do more research!

Take a look at my photo, do you think lipo would help or do you think what Dr. G recommended is best? I'm a little disappointed to hear I may need a neck lift!!!

Had A Second Consult - Recommendations By Dr. Perenack

I wanted to get a second opinion on my neck so I went to Dr. Perenack in Baton Rouge. Actually, I went to see his partner, Dr. Weiler for a breast augmentation consult, and also was able to see Dr. Perenack. He didn't have me on the books for a consult but took time out of his schedule to see me while I was there. I really appreciated this. He was very knowledgable and informative. I felt very comfortable with him because he took his time in expaining things to me. He also personally showed me photos and described what he did during each procedure. Dr. Perenack recommended chin lipo and a little filler called Radiesse instead of a neck lift. He quoted. $4,100 total. The lipo of the chin is cheaper than a neck lift obviously. Dr. Perenack said that my skin is tight enough to get the lipo and that I don't need a neck lift. However, he did say that to help define by jaw line more, I could use the filler Radiesse which is $800 for procedure. That's already included in the $4,100. To be honest, it's more than I thought it would be. Not sure why but I thought it would be closer to $2,000.

Right now my main focus is on my breast. However, I may want the lipo of chin or lipo of body in the future. I really liked Dr. Perenack for the face so I most likely would go with him if I decide to move forward with that.

The prices above include the surgeon's fees/procedure fees (includes operating room fees), anesthsia and garmets. The most expensive part of each quote was the surgeon's fee. This quote is only good for 90 days.

Thanks for seeing me, Dr. P without an appointment!

Neck Front View

This is a photo of my neck from the front w/o me making that double chin look like in the first photo. This is what it typically looks like unless I move my head/neck certain ways.

More Photos of Neck

Sorry - meant to upload these with the last photo. Please see the attached photos of my neck. These were taken more recently.

More Photos of Neck

Still Thinking If This Is For Me

I went ahead and had my breast enlargement surgery with success! I'm very happy so now I'm thinking about my neck and stomach again. They say plastic surgery is addictive. For the stomach, I'm hoping by exercising more and eating better that may help. However, my other family members all have weight in that area as well so not really sure if what I can do will help as maybe it's more genetic. So that leaves the neck. I was hoping to pay off my carecredit card before getting something else. Before my breast enlargement, I paid off my Invisalign fees on it. Then I got the BA. I'm hoping to pay off the card again before I move forward with my next procedure if I get another one. This gives my body time to heal as well as my wallet!

I will keep you posted on if I plan on going to anymore consultations, waiting a while, going through with it or not doing it at all.

Started Working Out At The Gym

I started working out at the gym this week so I'm hoping that I may lose weight not only in my body area but neck, too! We will see how that goes. Will update photos once I have been working out for a month or so. I have only joined the gym this week and went twice so far. No progress yet but that's not expected in two days.

Hate Looking at Photos of Myself

I used to love taking photos and looking back at them to see what I used to and do look like. I now hate it as every time I look I see this ugly, double chin. I'm hoping that with this new "diet" I am trying coupled with exercising that the double chin will lessen or disappear. If not, I need to start saving money for either the chin lipo with filler or the neck lift/Submental Lipectomy Platysmaplasty. Either way, I'm spending at least $5k to get either done. I'm hoping to fix this w/o surgery though if possible with my lifestyle changes. Here's hoping for the best. Only been doing this for about 2-3 weeks so far so no results yet. I will post pics once there is a change (hopefully).
Baton Rouge Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Perenack didn't have me on the books for a consult but he took time out of his schedule to see me while I was at his office visiting his partner's assistant Taylor. I really appreciated him making time for me. He was very knowledgable and informative. I felt very comfortable with him because he took his time in expaining things to me. He showed me photos and described what he did to each patient and why. He gave me his recommendation, explained why that would work for me and then later I got a quote for it. He was willing to bend his surgery schedule for me as well so that if I wanted to get surgery done by his partner and him at the same time, he'd make that happen. He had a good demeanor and personality. I would recommend him to anyone looking for face, head or neck surgery.

I did the chin Lipo and I'm 2 months out and quite frankly, I don't see much difference. The skin does feel a lot tighter and doc says 4- 6 months would be the real results. But I don't think the changebwouldnbe significant to be noticeable. I would say, it's a waste of money. Save up for the full facelift stead. That's what I'm gonna do.
Can you please me posted on your outcome in a few months since it's only been 2 months out? Well by now it's 3 almost 4 months. See any changes? I feel I wasted money with coolsculpting so I don't want to waste anymore money. I'm just so self conscious now about my chin in person and in photos. I hate the double chin and how my face looks fatter when I'm not being careful with how I "pose" my face.
Hi there, I am 3 months now and doc says until the tightness feeling goes away, it's still healing. Well, most of the tightness feeling is gone but there is still a little bit. I honestly do not see any difference at this point. I think it was a good try since I was going to be under anyway, but I wouldn't do it as a standalone separate procedure as that would be too expensive. I'm going to save up for a neck/face lift :) However, with that said, I didn't have much or any fat at all. I was just hoping that the process would tighten the skin which sadly it did not. In your case, you may see some results especially since you're younger and your skin will retract more.
Thanks for the response. I may not be able to get this done for 1-2 years due to finances. I will be 37 or 38 by then. I am just confused on what I really need. My one PS said a neck lift and the other said lipo and injections. I'm confused.
Well if it helps any, my doc says every time you go for the mini or "lite" version of surgery, you also get mini results. My suggestion is if you're gonna go under, do all the way. So for me while I've done a ton of research on the quick lift, lifestyle lift, mini lift, really bottom line is, none of there are truly quick, you will have the same recovery and swelling - might as well go for the full version to get maximum results. I've seen lots of lipo results here especially on the tummy and frankly, about 99% of them should have been tummy tucks in my opinion.
Good point. I don't think either of the suggestions the PSs made were mini. They were just different procedures. I just want to do what I really need. I don't mind length of recovery. I do mind price but I know you get what you pay for.
Check out my tummy under my Coolsculpting blog. Do you think tuck or lipo?
I checked it out and honestly, yours skin is beautiful and smooth, no stretchmarks and it looks like you've never been pregnant so no need for muscle repair. My strong suggestion is to spend that money on a gym membership and a personal trainer. Build muscle, lose the fat and you will look amazing all without surgery (and end up with a tight body with amazing boobs - loved your boob job).
Awwe thanks for the compliments!!! I love my new boobies, too. You are correct. I never had kids. I thought about the gym membership but I feel uncomfortable sometimes working out at gyms. Maybe an all female gym or getting some equipment myself could be an option. One woman suggested weight watchers.
May I recommend this awesome book: Younger Next year http://books.google.com/books/about/Younger_Next_Year_for_Women.html?id=jCQBngEACAAJ basically it does recognize that a lot of people (me counted) do not like gyms but it gives really compelling reasons why you should and I love his comment -" just get over it" because your health is what's at stake. Who cares what other people think.

Let us know if you decide to go through with this!

Will do. I'm having BA 12/18 so this is going to have to wait. More time for research!
Angie - Can you private message me and let me know how I can delete unwanted photos on my profile? Thanks.
I have not gone through with this yet. I had my breast aug though. I'll have to pay off some of that before considering to move forward with lipo or a lift. I'm very self conscious though so hope this gets better. :/
Hi, I'm also not a doctor, and unlike Jo I haven't had any surgery on my neck, but I do have it scheduled. Also, I'm a man, but we're the same age. Often people with "heavy" necks have a combination of problems, including a chin that's too small (microgenia). (I had that, but it was corrected a year ago with a sliding genioplasty.) A. Some people just have too much subcutaneous fat and have taut skin: on these people submental liposuction alone works well. B. Some (mainly older) people have stringy bands of platysma muscle that spoil the original shape of their necks. (Often those people don't seem to have much fat in the neck at all.) They usually need a necklift. C. Some people have too much fat under the platysma muscle as well as subcutaneously. (I'm in this group.) They usually need either a neck lift or a submental lipectomy (surgically cutting out fat through a larger incision) and platysmal plication (tightening the platysma). D. Some people have either poor skin (elderly), or just too much skin as well as too much fat (often people who have had the "heavy" neck for a long time. They need a necklift, or there will be loose skin hanging later on. I think you are either in group C or D. I therefore think you need at least a submental lipectomy plus platysmal plication, and maybe even a neck lift. I emailed my surgeon (a professor of craniofacial surgery) requesting he add submental liposuction to another surgery he's doing in December, and he wrote back indicating that liposuction would probably be ineffective, and instead suggested the lipectomy and platysmal plication. What I think you should do is send your photos to Dr Barry Eppley (who's very active on this forum) and ask his opinion. I think he has excellent judgment about these things. I hope you get a good result with whatever surgery you choose.
Sorry for the late reply. I was preoccupied. Thank you very much for the detailed email. I'm going to post up some new photos of my next area after I make room on my cell in order to do so. I may just write Dr. Barry as you suggested to get his opinion and go from there. Right now I'm very self-conscious about my stomach/ab area and am thinking about how to fix that with more exercise, diet or surgery. My neck bothers me but not as much yet as my stomach. Plus, I'm only 35 and the neck may get worse later in life so may just be good to wait on that and take care of it in a little while. I haven't decided yet. :/
Hi!! First good luck in your endeavors!! I am sorry I didn't get how old you are!! Looking at your pictures I can see that your neck does look a "liittle heavy" I have been through all this so I will give you my honest opinion and advice! I am NOT a doctor! I did get two opinions prior to my surgeries. On July 24th I got b a with a lift, lipo of abdomen with a full TT, and lipo of my neck. I went with my doctor for two reasons. first I saw his work thru a friend and I liked it! second, he felt fairly certain he could complete it all and it would look good! That being said I feel it's important to trust your plastic surgeon. I also wish I had a crystal ball!! I am 49 yrs old and had a major wgt loss the ps thought my skin would bounce back, unfortunately on my neck it hasn't. I have had two revision and I am 10 days post op and it looks like I will still need a full lift. The beauty of modern medicine is there are no absolutes because everyone is different! I have had a rough time with the whole procedure you can see my review and photos! Just continue to research the doctors and ask a lot of questions!! I still trust my doctor, I feel he is competent, I just know everybody is different and you never know exactly how the skin is going to respond! Good Luck!!
I'm 35 years old. 5'2" 140 lbs.I'll check out your review and photos. I appreicate your comment. I know it's hard to say one way or another from photos but I wanted to get other's opinions on here not just from the two doctors I saw.