Took the Plunge at Age 44 - Love my New Tummy

After years of thinking about a TT, I decided to...

After years of thinking about a TT, I decided to take take the plunge at age 44. My history is not unique -- my children were both almost 10 pounds when they were born and my skin had stretched as a result. Every time I looked in the mirror or wore a bathing suit, I was unhappy with the way my skin sagged.

I only interviewed one doctor because I was utterly impressed with the one I was referred to my my primary care MD. Once I spoke with him, I never looked back.

My surgery took place on 12/15/09 and am almost 4 weeks out now. The first 24-36 hours were rough though managable. Thank heaven for a recliner to sleep in that first week. My Mom and husband were a big help the first 3-5 days. Having them here meant I didn't have to get up and down frequently - only to go to bathroom. If you are prescibed narcotics for pain - and you likely will want them - I would advise considering a stool softener that first week. Narcotics tend to cause constipation (not fun with TT).

For me the only con was the drainage tube. I have had mine almost 4 weeks (more of an annoyance than anything). I love my new belly and am looking forward to a bikini this summer for the first time in 20 years. If you are trying to decide to have this done or not, I would encourage you to go for it and not look back.

Update -- Now 7 weeks outI continue to be...

Update -- Now 7 weeks out

I continue to be completely (100%)  pleased with my outcome.

A couple of observations -

1) I still have some slight swelling at the end of the day above the incision scar. It is not significant but I notice it.  I am told that that will lessen over the next several months as the lympathic system re-establishes itself.

2) A friend who of mine had a TT 4 years ago recommended vitamin E for the scars.  I used the silicone sheets for several weeks after the incision healed.  Now am trying the vitamin E and it seems to help.

3) Still not back to Kick boxing though am planning to return after my 2 month check up. Am able to do moderate exercises -- walking, some light weights, etc.

4) Overall, I am about 8 pounds lighter post op vs. pre op.  I think much of that was skin though certainly had some lipo.

Steven Madry, MD

Truly skilled surgeon with a great bedside manner. He patiently answered my questions and provided excpetional care. I recommend without hesitation and I am picky.