Took the Plunge at Age 44 - Love my New Tummy

After years of thinking about a TT, I decided to...

After years of thinking about a TT, I decided to take take the plunge at age 44. My history is not unique -- my children were both almost 10 pounds when they were born and my skin had stretched as a result. Every time I looked in the mirror or wore a bathing suit, I was unhappy with the way my skin sagged.

I only interviewed one doctor because I was utterly impressed with the one I was referred to my my primary care MD. Once I spoke with him, I never looked back.

My surgery took place on 12/15/09 and am almost 4 weeks out now. The first 24-36 hours were rough though managable. Thank heaven for a recliner to sleep in that first week. My Mom and husband were a big help the first 3-5 days. Having them here meant I didn't have to get up and down frequently - only to go to bathroom. If you are prescibed narcotics for pain - and you likely will want them - I would advise considering a stool softener that first week. Narcotics tend to cause constipation (not fun with TT).

For me the only con was the drainage tube. I have had mine almost 4 weeks (more of an annoyance than anything). I love my new belly and am looking forward to a bikini this summer for the first time in 20 years. If you are trying to decide to have this done or not, I would encourage you to go for it and not look back.

Update -- Now 7 weeks outI continue to be...

Update -- Now 7 weeks out

I continue to be completely (100%)  pleased with my outcome.

A couple of observations -

1) I still have some slight swelling at the end of the day above the incision scar. It is not significant but I notice it.  I am told that that will lessen over the next several months as the lympathic system re-establishes itself.

2) A friend who of mine had a TT 4 years ago recommended vitamin E for the scars.  I used the silicone sheets for several weeks after the incision healed.  Now am trying the vitamin E and it seems to help.

3) Still not back to Kick boxing though am planning to return after my 2 month check up. Am able to do moderate exercises -- walking, some light weights, etc.

4) Overall, I am about 8 pounds lighter post op vs. pre op.  I think much of that was skin though certainly had some lipo.

Steven Madry, MD

Truly skilled surgeon with a great bedside manner. He patiently answered my questions and provided excpetional care. I recommend without hesitation and I am picky.

Everyone go for it Thank you Dr. Salzhauer it has been 3 years and as you can see in my photo my tummy is still looking great. It was worth it!!
If I look as great as you do after my surgery, I'm going to cry tears of happiness for days and days!

Thanks for sharing your story!
My experience is finding the right surgeon is the key. Mine was truly gifted. Best of luck.

FYI -- I plan to post some 1 year pictures this week as I just passed it.
Absolutely Fabulous, I am happy for you! I get my TT with Lipo of back and flanks with BBL in December. I am so excited.
Well it has been over 2 yrs and my tummy is still great thanks Dr. Salzhauer.. It was so worth it!!
WOW! you look fantastic!!!! You are never to old to own your body! awesome!
wow u look flatter than me at 4 wks. i still have the kangaroo pouch from the swelling but he said it comes down on its own and gets btr each month and takes a full yr to see full results. i hate that i cant work out hard like before as i feel im losing my toned arms and altho i litely work out its not enuff

I know Speedracer would love your encouragement.

Her TT is coming soon
You look soooo good!!! He did a great job :)
Thanks for the compliment - I continue to be excited about the new me each and every day. What a blessing!!
Wow, you look great! I just found this site today and I am so thankful for people like you posting REAL thoughts and pictures. I am scheduled to have a TT in Feb 2010 and your photos and story are so encouraging and have put me more at ease. Thank you so much!
CuriousOne - I wish you the best of luck. For me having realistic expectations was helpful. No one is perfectly symetrical before surgery and I am not "perfect" now either. It is just so exciting to when I look in the mirror and like what I see. Really a nice gift. Again - best of luck. It is worth it.
wow! looks great :) I had mine done 2 weeks ago.. i'm still sooo swollen ..
Hang in there. The swelling did continue to go down with time. I notice a difference each week. I wouldn't advise being in a hurry to get your drains removed as that helps minimize the swelling. Also, my surgeon encouraged me to massage the area just above my incision line and that helped evacuate some of the fluid. It continues to be the best thing I have done for myself - possibly ever.
Wow, I think you look wonderful!
Many thanks. I continue to be pleased with my results. I can't believe the difference myself.
You look great-did you have work done on your legs also?
Yes some -- I had lipo of the inner thighs and when the surgeon did the TT , he took a fair amount of skin off my belly and pulled things up a bit and stetched the skin down as well. I had inquired about a thigh lift and he thought I would be pleased with the outcome without it. He was right.