Finally Getting my Nose Done! (And Fat Transfer) - Baltimore, MD

Excited can't express how I feel to finally have...

Excited can't express how I feel to finally have made the decision to do this. I had a consultation with Dr. Boahene mid Sept and my surgery is schduled for Nov 22. Perfect timing to take 2 weeks off since it's the holidays.

I'm having a rhinoplasty and fat transfered from my abdomen to under my eyes since they have always been sunken in. Dr. Boahene's approach is very conservative and kept saying he wants it to match my face. He says that he will file down my hump and lift my tip since it drops when I smile. I never smile with teeth. My nostrils flare when I smile and he says he will use alar cinch sutures instead of making my nostrils smaller. So of course I google alar cinch sutures and I hear that people cannot smile properly so that concerns me. I am a bit concerned that we are being too conservative since we didnt discuss making the tip smaller, simply lifting it. All this trouble and I want to leave there with exactly what I want, although I'm not 100% certain what that is. I scheduled a second consult before my surgery for Nov 13 just to make sure that we're on the same page. I'm sure it will be ok but this is my face and I'm only doing this once!

2nd Consultation

I had my 2nd consult today and I'm so ready to do this! I walked in with a list of questions and concerns and he answered every one! I don't know if I was nervous the first time around but clearly I left there not understanding everything because baaabbyy, I am not just getting the bridge straightened and the top lifted/supported. Here are the topics we discussed and his responses:

- bridge filing. Only top or sides too?
I was concerned that he was just fixing the hump but not the sides around the hump. He said he was narrowing the sides as well.
- tip lift. Is it going to be bigger?
When I lift the tip with my finger, it makes the tip look bulbous so I asked if he's not taking anything from the tip isn’t putting cartilage there to lift it going to make it bigger. He was planning to remove a little bit of the tip as well to make it smaller to compensate.
- cinch sutures for nostril flare
I was concerned that if he put in sutures to hold my nostrils that I would not be able to move lips to smile (I read that). Now this was a surprise, he is actually going to do a alar sill excision WOAH! He’s cutting the inside of my nostrils to make them a smidge smaller so they don’t flare out. Super excited about that! Side note, he went into why just a suture wouldn’t last but I’m 100% positive that he told me he would just cinch it but that’s fine.
- scoop vs straight
His mockup has me with a very straight bridge and I was concerned that I needed some sort of scoop to look natural. He said that a scoop would make it look flat and that’s not what I want. I agreed.
I was given prescriptions to fill. Percocet for pain and Medrol for … Can’t remember now. Nausea maybe? He did not give me antibiotics since I told him I always get a yeast infection. The antibiotics aren’t actually necessary he said.

FYI my BF had a septoplasty two days ago (another dr) and he’s ok so I’m not as scared as I was.

Fat Grafting update will be under that review!

Surgery day!

Today's the day! I'm a ball of nerves but I'll be fine. I'll be back to update when I can.

Guess who's out of surgery!

I'm feeling just fine. I'll write more tomorrow but just want to let you know that it went well. I just changed my gauze and it looks a bit pigish but I read that's normal. Lord please let that be normal and fix itself after the swelling goes down. I have a few "surprises" that I'll discuss in a few days at my follow-up but I'm trying now to worry. I don't have a cast for one. Who doesn't get a cast??? Very weird. No splints either. Also he didn't cut my nostrils but went back to the suture thing (I think). He explained but I was out of it so I can't remember. He said something about cutting from the inside. Anyways. I feel aOkay for now. My nose is clear so I'm having a hard time remembering not to breath through it. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Follow up scheduled at 3pm today

Hi all
I go in later today for my follow-up and to remove my tape. Once I'm back I'll sit and write a recap of the last 4 days. I've been fine just tons of swelling. It's after 3 am right now and I think I've had a break through in the middle of the night. I can feel my top lip again and I don't feel as tight. I was hoping that would happen today since I'll finally be able to see what my nose looks like. I popped a stitch (laughing) in my mouth a few days ago and I've been feeling a sharp pain there when I touch it with my tongue. I called and Dr Boahene told me not to worry so we'll see. My nostrils look more symmetrical thank goodness so I'm sure they will get better. The pigish look is still there. I think I stare at it way too much. Talk to you when I return.

I love it!!!

So I've tried to submit this 3 times from my phone and it freezes. So I'll just add the pics and be back tomorrow. Just know that I love it!!!!! I'm still crazy swollen so don't mind my looking crazy but if it looks good now I can't wait to see the final result. FYI check out under my eyes. So glad I did the fat transfer! Ignore the black and blue eyes lol.

Side by side

Happy Thanksgiving

I still can't feel my face and I can't smile. Added some concealer under my eyes. I think it looks great. Although I don't think I look like myself. I know it's because I'm swollen and I should stop looking at it. Went to the store and I felt like everyone was looking at it like ohhhhh she had a nose job!!! Lol

2 weeks!

Can't feel or move my top lip but ain't I cute!?!

Merry Christmas!

Hey guys!
It's been a bit over 4 weeks and I'm doing fine. I know it's still very early and I'm hoping all these things improve with time but let me run down what I'm not happy with. See pics. I took all but the last one today with a clean face.

Let me start by saying I think I look pretty great with make-up on but I never really wore it so that's getting on my nerves which brings me to #1.

1. Under my eyes are still very dark.
2. Fat has pretty much gone away and its back to what it looked like before.
3. From my nose to my top lip is very tight and numb. Getting annoying. It's starting to itch so I guess it's healing.
4. Nose is a bit discolored.
5. Nose leans a bit to the right. Only really seen in pictures.
6. Nostrils are shaped differently. This really concerns me since he didn't cut my nostrils. Hoping it's just swelling since only one side was cut. This was the drs explanation.
*7. Cannot raise my upper lip to smile! This is the worst of my issues. I'm trying not to worry because I'm starting to get slight feeling in my lip and under my nose but I read that it could take months for the nerves to reconnect. I brought this up during my second consult and he said this wasn't going to happen since he was cutting my nostrils but he changed the plan during surgery. I would not have been ok with dealing with this for 3 to 6 months or however long this takes to heal. I speak a lot on my job and I look very silly not moving my lip. I cover my mouth with my hand when I laugh. It hurts as well when I laugh. I'm more self conscious of my mouth note than I was my nose!

I have a follow-up on Jan 22. That's 2 months. He wanted to see me at 2 month but didn't have a free day. I've been emailing for cancellations. He's also going to do a scar revision for me. Have an eyebrow piercing that I'd like closed.

Other than all of that I'm happy lol. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Picture update

Everything is going just fine. I'm still numb, tight and can't move my lip but at least my nose is cute. You don't even notice my uneven nostrils unless I'm leaning back to show them. Under my eyes look like they did before the surgery, I'm just even darker under there. Hopefully that goes away cause I have to wear concealer everyday where as before I just wore it when I went out. Might do an artificial fill when I go there on the 22nd for my follow-up and eyebrow ring scar removal.

Side comparison

Today is a good nose day. It bled a bit this morning while cleaning it but not much. Here's a pic comp from the day of the surgery and today. You can see how the hump is gone and the tip is lifted and smaller.

Almost 4 months!

Hi guys!!
Sorry for the delay. Well it will be 4 months in about a week and I am so happy I did this! (why didn't I do it sooner???) So nothing has really changed besides the fact that I can move my top lip so much more now. I can smile with teeth. But it is still numb from the tip of my nose through the middle of my lip. It doesnt bother me much and I expect it will get better with time. Some things that I would change (or I'm waiting to fix itself) are my nostrils. They are still a bit off but I think thats because of the swelling on the side he cut. I can't confirm that until the numbness completely goes away which could take a year so for now I just wait. No one notices but me. With that said my nose also angles to the right and you can see that when I smile but I think thats the same issue that will get fixed once its fully healed. If I had to do it all over again I MIGHT have gone a bit smaller. Dr. Boahene is very conservative and although it was spot on, eh it could be smaller when I smile. Dont get me wrong, I am 100% happy. I don't know if its still swollen. I didn't go through the up and down sizes like others. Its looked pretty much the same since the surgery. If I pinch the middle piece between my nostrils that feels hard and fat. I still get stuffy once in a while and have to clean it out with the nasal rinse about 3 times a week.

Hmmm what else. Oh my under eye fat transfer sucks lol. I see a bit of a change but doesnt look worth the money I paid and now I have to wear makeup under my eyes everyday (before I only wore it when going out) because its much darker than before. The fat to me is completely gone. My last follow up back in Jan, he said that I need to wait like a year before I do anything else like a filler to make sure the fat has settled. I wanted to say what fat but he says that over time it plumps back up. I don't think it will. BUT it does feel like I have a base for filler to sit on rather than just the bone under my eyes if that makes sense.

I also got my eyebrow ring scar removed. Might right a review about that but not sure if anyone is interested. I have two scars there now but it looks better than the holes that were there.

He thought I looked great so my next follow up isn't until the end of June.

Let me know if you have questions! Hope this helps!

Getting better every month

Hi guys
Not much to report on. I'm still loving my nose. I would say that I'm 85% satisfied with my nose and that says a lot seeing how picky I am.

Nostrils: they are slowly getting more uniformed but still a tad off. Waiting a year before I make any final judgments.
Numbness: nose, in-between nose and lip, and middle of upper lip is still numb but definitely improving
Size: hasn't changed much to me since surgery. hoping for it to get a tad smaller but I'll live if it doesn't (he could have gone a bit smaller because it still looks a bit big when I smile with teeth but it looks perfect when I'm not smiling)
Angle: still leans to the right, which is the side he cut, more visible when I smile. Getting a smidge better. Waiting a year for the final judgment.
Hump: completely gone when you look at me but if I stretch my face or feel the left side there is a small bump still present. Not anything I'd fix.
Under my eyes: bruising still present but slowly going away. totally disappointed :-( I'll discuss this with him at my follow-up in June.
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

your pictures look amazing. did you have a closed or open rhinoplasty? i had closed rhinoplasty with dr boahene but i might be getting a revision because i need more definition in my tip, which i feel closed rhinoplasty was unable to address.
Thanks! its getting better as the months go on. I had closed.
You have pretty hair. Did you have an open or closed rhinoplasty?
Thanks so much! It was closed and he only went in through one side.
You look great! What nasal rinse do you use?
The one called Nelimed. It has these salt packets that you add to water.
You look beautiful! The nose looks so natural. None of the issues you described are obvious in the photos. I am glad you're happy with your nose. I am excited about my upcoming revision with Dr. B. I showed him some photos of a nose that I like and he said I should bring the photos on the day of surgery.
Hi hope you are find i am having surgery with dr boaheme in 2 weeks, i am stressed like crazy any advice for me please so
Hi soahmet, my surgery with Dr. Boahene is on March 25. I guess your surgery is after mine. You can pm me if you like. No need to stress out. Everything will be fine.
Hi guys. Everything is healing great. Give me a few minutes and I'll write an update and add some pics. Hope everyone is doing well!
Can you move your upper lip yet?
Hi. Yes I can. THANK GOODNESS!! Its still a bit numb though (sooooo much better) and a bit "heavy" if that makes sense. It gets better every week but will probably be about 3 months or so before its back to normal. I hope.
Thanks. I had my procedure with Dr. Boahene last week. The stiff lip thing makes me talk like a ventriloquist, lol. I'm happy to hear everything is going well with you! I've been stalking this post over the last few months, lol. I'll be posting my experience in the near future to pay it forward. Best wishes!!!
Hope you are doing well and you're nose is healing well, we're all really anxious to know what's going on, please update soon. Take care
Please more pics!
Hey gurl, did u have the cinch sutres?
No I didn't. He did something where he cut a wedge from under my nostrils in through my top lip and cinched them closed. The same way one would do it at the base of the nostrils but this way theres no visible scar since I didnt need my nostrils smaller. Just didnt want them to flare as much.
I love your results, super natural.
Your nose looks great, ive been following your post for quite a while now. I had my first consulation with Dr. Boahene on January 22 and it went well, I traveled from NY to MD to see him. When I get there he had two people with him but I barely noticed them, he said they were just here to see if they can see what he's seeing :). Anyways he asked me what I like about my nose, I said the size, I breath well and then he asked what I didn't like I said the bridge is too flat between the eyes, the bulbous tip and then he said how he can work on that, he said I have a petite nose and the skin is not thick so that's good because I don't need a nose reduction and he Weill be able to see what he's doing under the skin. He said i wont have a cast, I believe he said he'll do a close surgery (I was a bit distracted looking at the picture stimulator of future nose) also I choose to go with the rib cartilage. We had a good long conversation that made me feel secure and in the right place. One thing he said to me like 5 times "PATIENCE" that's something people thats driving people nuts, they want to see full result in just a few months but it will take up to a year to see final result so i'll have to be very patient. My quote is $8050 for thr nose but also I want a lip scar revision it's $500 so that's a total of $8550 for both procedures, the fee for operating room $1050 and anesthesia $923 so the grand total is $10423 for my rhinoplasty with rib graph and lower lip scar revision. The price seems fair to me. However I won't start a review yet because unfortunately Karen said they no longer accept CareCredit so I was planing to pay half money with my cash and half with CareCredit but I can't, I only have about 60% of the money on my saving account so I think I'll have to wait a lil longer to get the other part or get me some personal loan before my birthday in August or before Christmas cause I want this surgery done ASAP. I had three previous consultation with a few doctors in NJ, NY and I wasnt sure about getting a nose job until my consultation with Dr Boahene, I'm confident about my choice and i want to get it done the sooner the better, once I have the money I'll schedule a second consulation, schedule a surgery date and start a review. Feel free to ask any more question. (P.S. excuse my bad grammar and English :D)
Your nose is getting smaller with time. I hope I get good results with him as well. Thanks for the updates.
I love your cute nose day lol. He made a subtle difference, but it's noticeable. The You were pretty before, but you are definitely a prettier version of yourself. I cant wait to see you in a few months. I hope my results are just as good.
I have been spy-ing on you... loool you look great! did u have a hump? because it's not noticeable on ur preop pictures. I want to believe my nose will need 2-3 years to complete heal from the procedure.
Sweety no more pictures? *cover face*
Coming right up!
You look great! He did a really good job. I have decided to go with him. I have tried to call Karen a few times to set up a consult but have not heard from her.