Bad Blepharoplasty Leads to Depression

I’m three months post-op from a very...

I’m three months post-op from a very depressing upper and lower blepharoplasty. My eyes look uneven, I have wrinkles and excess skin where my bags used to be, and I have dealt with depression over how I look.

For the first month and a half after the operation, I noticed all of these issues intermittently but I didn’t panic because I was still recovering. A friend of mine chalked up my baggy eyelids to water retention after the operation too. But by the two-month mark when I went for my follow-up, I wasn’t getting better and my doctor knew it. He didn’t seem pleased with things either but nonetheless he kept telling me to wait for it to get better. He also said that, if things didn’t improve, I could always have the issues fixed with a laser or another bleph. I didn’t want this! I already paid for a blepharoplasty (the monthly payments are still coming out of my bank)!

I got depressed then and am still today dealing with the way I look. Some days I start to think I am getting better, my eyes are evening out, but more often than not I can notice the difference between my baggy left eye and my wide-open right eye. It’s obvious to everybody and this makes me feel sick.

If I had known a bleph could leave me this asymmetrical and odd-looking, I never would have had it done. But I was warned of none of these things! It was all about how great I would look; nobody bothered to mention I might look worse than before the operation

I too have experienced the same, so wish I had read your review before I did my procedure.
I am sorry Connie Rose. I initially went for a consultation for a facelift and was talked into the other procedures. I paid around $10,000 (facelift, browlift, and upper eyelid) to be scarred and not being able to close my left eyelid anymore. I understand, I didn't do my research either, my eye hurts everyday, my eyes don't match each other (1 is smaller than the other) and I've spent alot more money trying to get help with this (especially eyelid) and to this date, I'm scarred physically and emotionally.
It's so true how they never deny any one . Everyone is a candidate at the life style lift centers . They don't tell you the truth about the excruciating pain, the horrible thick scars , the pain in and around the eyes and around the ears . They don't tell you that you'll be scared for life . Both physically and emotionally . If I could turn back time I would never settle for less when it comes to my face . Don't get me wrong, for life style lift was not cheap . It cost me $10,000 . What I would do differently today is I would research the doctor that I would allow to cut my face . I didn't do my homework with the life style center in Downers Grove Illinois and I will regret that for the rest of my life . Dr. Robert S. Kagan ruined my face and my life .
Hi Gretchenbleph! Some days worse than others. Hanging in there, Not looking in the mirror it's impossible sometimes feel better with my scars n scleral show. I'm self conscious so I don't date at all for for so many years already, so I guess that can say how bad I feel about my image;( thank u for taking the time to ask me.
Mely how are you? I'm divorced and dating...it's affecting my relationships with others and myself-I need employment and I'm a single mom too. Waiting for 2nd bleph swelling to calm done after 3 months still there
I add myself to this group! I had a botched Blepharoplasty 12yrs ago n end up with uneven eyes scleral show large indented scars on the side of both eyes. I still regret that decision of having that surgery;( sometimes I feel like hanging a sign on me saying I have this botched surgery from Eugene Cherney in Des Moines Iowa, to scream out loud how much I regret it!
How did you get past the depression? I just can't seem to get past it. Every time I look in the mirror, I want to cry. I feel so uneven and unbalanced with one eye area under the eyebrow so much smaller than the other. I can't sleep or eat....it's awful.
I'm still dealing with it. Post divorce and 2 revisions later. Email me and we can talk. ***@bellsouth.net
It helps to have friends who tell you you look fine even though you don't think you do. Even if they're lieing, it does make you feel better.
Im just out 3 1/2 weeks and am so paranoid that my one eye will never be as big as the other. I feel like there's always hair in my eyes and they burn. I feel movement under my upper lids and I feel like Im wearing goggles. My sister has had both upper and lower done and she said she was wearing makeup after 3 weeks and no side effects. I have a feeling I got a botched up job. I am so depressed I cant look at my self in the mirror and other people when i go out. It really sucks!!
It's too soon to tell, Dear Valerie. Everybody heals differently. What did u had upper or lower? Massage the lids to loosen up lids it helps, that's what they say. I didn't know about it back then. Now I know, n I think it would help some. Good luck(^_~)!
Dear Valerie, I know it irritates you when others tell you that you're still healing but you know your body better then anyone else and pay attention to what you're seeing and feeling . I knew only weeks after my LSL that it was indeed a botched job but I listened to others advise and waited . And believe me it's been 8 months now and I feel the same . The pain is still there around my eyes and ears .My scars are thick and ugly and they pull and hurt really bad. My face looks like it was virtually taken off and sewn back on . It looks awful ! I am so depressed that there are no words to describe the horror that I've been through and still continue to live with . Be realistic but at the same time don't ignore what your gut instinct is telling you . Please go and get a second opinion from a good plastic surgeon . He/ she will be able to tell you if your face/ eyes can or can't be corrected . Give yourself some time since its only been 3 1/2 weeks for you but don't wait too long . You should be able to see your true results in a matter of months. Good luck to you !
I understand exactly what you both are saying. I've been so upset and I just don't know if I'll ever get past this depression. Family and friends don't understand why I'm so down - thank you for making me feel like I'm not alone on this struggle to b myself again. Although I wish none of us had to go through this trauma.
Let's all pm each other exchange numbers photos whatever it takes to feel better! Our own support group - mentally, we need it! I'm working out taking vitamins and working on the inside - only choice.
I've had 2 revisions in one eye - I'm done!
I completely understand your feelings - I had an upper eyelid bleph on one eye only and now my eyes look different and my eyebrow is lower on one side. I've been so depressed about it and am having problems finding a surgeon who can repair it. I hope you got your eyes corrected.
Hello, Why a doctor would only preform surgery on one eye, is mind blowing. Skin shrinks, tightened after surgery , so he knew there would be a difference in size. If not, he should find another profession. And yes, when tissue fat is removed, your Brows will lower, because the fat and skin that once supported them are gone. My brows are still much lower than they once were. Luckily, they were high to begin with. Eye lid surgery is serious business. It can change your appearance to a negative. Revision for lis are difficult and you will never look the same. But any positive change, can help. Yes, the emotions are horrid. You go through grief. You lost something, and that is traumatic. So Anger, Saddness, Guilt and Depression is a part, and certainly not what you signed up for. Acceptance? It would have never come for me. I got very lucky and my revision brough back softness, and not the hard, Hollowed and sunken look I had. With my high creek bones,slim small face, I truely looked like a sheleton. The pin was so great at times, since looking in the mirror is a daily event. You may have to have surgery on other eye to get any balance. But be very careful. And again remember, if one eye is 2 mil. off, then take one mil. The skin shrinkage is to be considerd. Good Luck !
I've had good effects with adding fillers to my upper lids and am going to have some added to the lowers too. I had hollowing in uppers and lowers after a supposed "conservative" blepharoplasty. Both my eyes looked small and skeletal, particularly the right eye. I was devastated and felt like I was looking at a stranger. It was like part of my identity was gone. I still miss my old eyes and looking at old photos is tough. But the filler has helped. I am still considering fat grafting somewhere in the future. BTW: my eyebrows were also lower and like Vickisue pointed out it is because the tissue that supports it have been removed and they sink down.
Amyz99 what dr have you had luck with fillers?
I had both revisions with Dr. Weiskolf in Illinois. He is very good. I only used my own fat, but heard other fillers are also effective. And yes, only 20% is retained, so you must keep going back and getting more, until you reach desired appearance.
I've tried fat (didn't last at all on me) and two of the hyaluronic fillers, restylane and Juvaderm. I found after 3 injections, the fullness from the hyaluronics lasted permanently on me in the crease of the upper lid. It stimulates collagen and in that area, hyaluronic fillers don't go away easily.. Plus, it can be dissolved and done over if they put in too much or if you don't like it. I would hesitate in overloading the lower lids though as that skin is delicate and may, over time, become stretched.
I've had upper eyelid fillers by Dr. Yang in NY. I've heard excellent things about Dr. Aharonov in LA and Dr. Hoenig in LA (particularly for lower eyelid fillers). I haven't had lowers done yet. There are other docs too that are now using fillers. I've considered pearl fat grafting, but have read that it's unpredictable and might not be permanent. Also, it can cause lumpiness and scar tissue and the person may need filler eventually if their eyes can't tolerate surgery anymore. I am unfamiliar with using injected fat however.
Can you use juvaderm and restalyne together? I've thought of combining the two in the upper eyelid.
No, I would not do that unless they are in different areas of the lid. Either one works; it's what the injector is most comfortable and experienced with. They are basically the same formulation but in different consistencies. Also, you'd have to pay for two different tubes and use very little of each. Rather than seeking a surgical fix for too much fat removal - which often can't be done - many people should try the hyaluronics first. It's a 10 minute procedure which can give you back your lid fullness, and it really lasts. It will also gently stretch the skin in any areas that are too tight and scarred down.
I looked into pearl fat grafting but decided it was a bit risky; more surgery, somewhat invasive, as I was told the fat is put into the orbital septum, and fat does not last well on me. Many doctors are now doing the hyualuronics. Most areas probably have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in eyes who has experience. I would only have it done by someone who does a lot of it and can show you photos. Also, a BIG consideration for me was that if they do something you don't like, a shot of Vitrase gets rid of it in a few days.