Bad Blepharoplasty Leads to Depression

I’m three months post-op from a very...

I’m three months post-op from a very depressing upper and lower blepharoplasty. My eyes look uneven, I have wrinkles and excess skin where my bags used to be, and I have dealt with depression over how I look.

For the first month and a half after the operation, I noticed all of these issues intermittently but I didn’t panic because I was still recovering. A friend of mine chalked up my baggy eyelids to water retention after the operation too. But by the two-month mark when I went for my follow-up, I wasn’t getting better and my doctor knew it. He didn’t seem pleased with things either but nonetheless he kept telling me to wait for it to get better. He also said that, if things didn’t improve, I could always have the issues fixed with a laser or another bleph. I didn’t want this! I already paid for a blepharoplasty (the monthly payments are still coming out of my bank)!

I got depressed then and am still today dealing with the way I look. Some days I start to think I am getting better, my eyes are evening out, but more often than not I can notice the difference between my baggy left eye and my wide-open right eye. It’s obvious to everybody and this makes me feel sick.

If I had known a bleph could leave me this asymmetrical and odd-looking, I never would have had it done. But I was warned of none of these things! It was all about how great I would look; nobody bothered to mention I might look worse than before the operation

Did you find a fix yet? I know how you feel. My upper bleph changed the shape of my eyes an I have hollowing too. I'm looking for a revision so I'm not looking at a stranger in the mirror. I hope you are well and that you've found a way to improve your eyes.
I sympathize with you. I understand the depression, as I went through a botched lower lid surgery 3 years ago. I had 4 surgeries in an effort to improve permanent bruising. Didn't help much. I look in the mirror and wonder who I am looking at! I keep sun glasses on and avoid social events, can't believe I paid for this mess. Everyone says I'm still myself. Not true, it has changed me and my lifestyle to the extreme. My heart goes out to you.
You can still try massage to loosen them up. I would give it a year. I woke up one day and noticed my eyes weren't uptilted anymore!
its not even that they are uplifted,it is because they are now very small.the lower lid pulled up too high,i dont think my skin could stretch that much no matter what i do,i am very sad,my cosmetic surgeon did not mean any harm i am sure..he is going to try to repair the skin folds on the sides is all. he is going to do the repair free of charge.but he can do nothing about the fact that my eyes are so small.i just do not want the repair to cause them to be smaller.he said that there was no cantho .i am not sure exactly what he did.
Unusual issue if he did no cantho - but as you get older, you won't have that baggy lower lid and ectropion that older people sometimes get.
i e mailed him yesterday about the upcoming recision for the folds on the sides of my eyes.i am scared that after he is done my eyes will be even smaller so i asked him if there were a chance of that...no answer as of yet....
Just tell him not to take too much skin. Like you, I had a little fold of puckered skin on the side of my eye that had to be removed after my lateral canthoplasty, but it had no effect on my eye size and did not make things any tighter.
to be honest with ypou,i would have much rathered preferred a little bit of ectropion than having my eyes sewn shut. i am going to my high school reunion today,i remember last years reunion,i had glasses on because of the wrinkling under the eyes,but everyone was telling me how great i looked,how beautiful i was,it was really nice,up untill the day i had the revision,strangers would tell me i was a beautiful woman....i have not heard that or had a man look at me like that since the day i had this lower blepharoplasty.it really is amazing that eyes are really are the windows to ones soul and the first things that captivate a mans heart....it is not so much what has been done to me,but how i was treated throughout the process....
Hi, I looked at your photos and think your eyes look very nice! I hate the ectropion look (and the feel is even worse) and you have none of that; also, your eyes probably close just fine. I would give it some time, as skin stretches and things have a tendency to regress to what they were. I had an upper anchor bleph a few years ago which is totally gone. Also, some makeup could make your eyes look bigger if you want to experiment with that. I think the shape looks good.
I totally agree with u sapphire! I like the way Colleen's eyes look like, probably with x she will get used to her new look. It would b worse if she would've have an ectropion, sclera show,bigger eyes but with scleral show. Not a good look ectropion makes u look old right away!
thank you for trying to make me feel better but i know it looks horrible.i dont recognize myself and i cant believe what has happened.i look twice as old and all of my beauty stripped away
Colleen, how long ago was your operation done? I had this done also (a lateral canthoplasty) and the lids should lower and the correction regress over time - my surgery was gone too soon. I liked my result but in 6 months it was like I had never had it done. Gravity, blinking, skin stretching, etc. will loosen the lids up over time. My scars at the corners of my eyes from the surgery spread and I had them lasered off; everything looks fine now. I would wait before more surgery.
I wish that were the case for me.it has been almost 7 months and seemed to get worse with time.my doctor was very very busy, and it was not normal after care, although I'm sure it was not his fault entirely. Otherwise if I had known on from the beginning perhaps massage would have made it better
dear rina i too had bags and excess skin under my eyes but other than that i still looked beautiful under a bright light.but i knew how strange the rippling looked under regular or overhead lighting... i went to an occuplastic surgeon here who for 4000 performed the operation on my undereyes only,he repositioned my lower lids too high causing rippling on the sides of my eyes and in addition,my eyes are now half the size and look terrible.i too am looking for someone to fix this now new and even worse problem
any legal help out there? signed away our rights? facing revision(s)? everyday i'm so sad when i wake up - biggest mistake of my life 10/16/2010 - brought on problems didn't know one could get - bleph and malpositioned lower lids caused wrinkled conjunctiva - just had amniotic membrane transplant on left eye last Tues - i'm hoping it will alleviate "some" of my discomfort. eventually must have canthopexy - definitely can't afford that right now. very very sad. wish I'd never believed advertising about having "refreshed" look, "younger" eyes. Liars, liars, liars. don't let a Board Certified PS touch your eyes!!! i believe in the beauty industry they all know - they just don't say anything... nice. looking for help i went to see an eye specialist but he wouldn't even look at me, when he found out i was stupid enough to have Strax do my eyes. said he didn't want their liability and said i pretty much got what i paid for.
Dear Jill: There are ALWAYS attorneys who will take your money and file a complaint. Expect to pay 7-10,000.00 UP FRONT to have one drawn up and filed with the court and served on the Plastic Surgeon who did this to you. He may then file and answer and/or counterclaim suing YOU....intentional infliction of emotional distress, ruining his business name..you name it. Be prepared then to pay for an answer to that. Status conferences, depositions, expect 50,000-100,000.00 by the time it gets to court. ( 3 years). THEN jury trial....and what if they jury decides he did his best with you....and awards YOU nothing, or that your are all about "sour grapes" and awards HIM a settlement? It does happen. Juries don't relate to someone having cosmetic surgery that "didn't turn out the way THEY wanted". Now if you were a patient in a car accident and this same surgeon worked on your face that was all mangled, through no fault of your own.....then perhaps they would be more sympathetic....maybe the doctor's malpractice insurance would pay you a settlement...... There ARE surgeons...who WANT to fix other's mess ups. They are advertising ONLINE, etc. I went to LOMA LINDA occuplastic surgeon after the laser occuplastic surgeon worked on me, leaving me unable to fully close my eyes, leaving the cornea to dry out...and making it only possible to open my eyes if they had copious amounts of eye...ointment on them...and that left me unable to SEE to drive, or write out checks, or watch TV, or work on the computer, OR shop, cook, etc. ... You could always file a complaint with the AMA.....but they all ...protect their own. Doctors....lawyers......
Hello Mia58 Please let us know how your surgery with Dr. Prasad. I also need help because my upper eyelid is so bad that doctors have told me there is no way to help. My left upper eyelid is stiff with very little skin. The only way for my eyelid to close is to have the eyelid droop and when my eyes are open, I have a very small eye opening and looks like I have a lazy eye. There is no way to lift the upper eyelid, I have been told if I do, then the eye won't close as much as it does now.
hi! I'm will have surgery at 09/19, and after, I'm can tell how I'm doing.
Okay, Mika58, after you have healed, please let me know. I also need help and need a very good doctor. If you think he did a good job with you, it would be nice to know if maybe he could help me.
To Colleen: be glad he did not try to "fix" you! If he couldn't do it right the first time...Get your money back...name & shame him....warn others!
how we can get money back from previous surgery? I need now spending for revision surgery-$ 14.500 ( this is a 1 st revision surgery, I'm need more!) and I'm very happy to find #1 Surgery, who can fix my big problem. I' take 2 credit for 12 month, I'm dont have choice, but my problem is- I'm don't have any money to pay monthly. I'm on dissability now and my monthly social security benefits around $800.00.What i'm have to do? Who can tell me, how I'm can get this money? Maybe some of you know some Financial organization, Charity? Who knows a very good, agressive lower in NY, please giv me a name.
Hmmm. I don't know any charity that feels sorry enough for people who have "cosmetic" surgery..that goes awry ...with funds to "fix it". Suing doc will usually not go well. Making doc miserable until refund? NO guarantees with revision or ANY surgeries..and that's where we are....
my doctor refused to take any resposibility and will not fix what he did..im pissed and disappointed too
I had a lower bleph a little over a year ago, along with co2 laser, and fat injections. I am having the same problem with my plastic surgeon. He refuses to take any responsibility for his oversight. I was so nervous as I was being wheeled into the surgery, and he assured me that I would be happy with the results. Well, I am far from happy. I was left with wrinkles under my left eye. My eyes looked so much better before the surgery. I guess they cover their asses by making the patient sign a waiver. It is the patient, I think, that should make the doctor sign a waiver. I have never had any sort of plastic surgery before this. I was shown all these wonderful photos befrorehand, and when I brought up how come the people in the photos eyes look so much better than mine, he told me oh don't go by the photos, everyone is different. Then why show me the photos to begin with. I have spent all the money I had on this surgery, and can't afford to do anything to fix this. I am so devastated beyond belief. I paid good money. What ever happened to customer satisfaction? I can't just pull money out of the air.
The American Medical Association protects all the doctors. Juries are not sympathetic to "dissatisfied" customers...unless maybe the jury pool is from Beverly Hills. One 20/20 segment on tv/Internet shows a woman who sued.. She can't close her eyes! Got some 5000 dollars or some such " slap in the face" judgement when the attorney/trial bills were tens of thousands.