Cursed with Cellulite Since I Was a Pre-teen...

My story is like so many others I have read on...

My story is like so many others I have read on this site. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. I remember the first glimpses of cellulite at the age of 12. I do recall the fateful day that I say these bumps and bulges all over the outsides of my thighs. I remember comparing myself to my step sister who was one year older than I was, and significantly overweight. Yet she did not have this cellulite. This has been proven to me over the years that cellulite attacks who it attacks, and your weight has nothing to do with it. So anyway, I went through my adolescence and teen years avoiding any setting that involved swimming. I never wore shorts. When I did swim, I would always wear a T-shirt to cover up. At one point I remember my mom saying to me, "You're too young to have cellulite." And that really hurt. As I grew up, I'm in my 30's now, I learned to cover up in different ways: wearing skirted bikinis, board shorts, anything to cover my thighs. I really just felt deformed and ugly.
Fast forward to 2009…
I started researching cellulite treatments. I found Lipodissolve. This was a costly waste of time. I spent something like $1800 on a series of 6 treatments that left me swollen and in pain. The results were nil! I had at that point resigned to live with cellulite. I thought there was no way that I would get rid of it. Doomed.
Fast forward to 2013…
I heard about the procedure Cellulaze. I researched it and for the first time I had some hope that this was FINALLY the answer for me. The science and the principles behind it made sense. There was an explanation for these dimples, there were bands holding them down. And if the bands were cut, the skin would lay smooth. Plus I was very encouraged by the before and after photos. The only problem is the procedure wasn't performed by any doctors in the Memphis area. In the back of my mind, I knew... not IF, but WHEN Cellulaze came to Memphis, I would be signing up!
Fast forward to 2014...
I saw an advertisement for Cellulaze in Memphis. I went to see the doctor at the Laser Aesthetics Body and Wellness Center in the Memphis area. The doctor, Dr. Campfield, was very nice. He has a nice practice. He specializes in SmartLipo and other cosmetic procedures. But after talking with him, it turns out he has performed ZERO Cellulaze procedures; and I was not about to be his guinea pig. Plus, he was not on the Cynosure list of certified Cellulaze doctors. (I highly recommend people look at their website and check). I was overall unimpressed or convinced he could perform the procedure with confidence and expertise. He offered a combo of SmartLipo and Cellulaze for the same intro price of $2900. I researched that evening and found that Cellulaze and SmartLipo CANNOT be performed in the same area at the same time. So that was another red flag to me. So I walked away. I am glad I did my research. And I implore you all to do the same.
Later that day, I went home feeling depressed. I got my hopes up for this procedure and now my hopes were dashed. I went about looking for doctors close to me. I found a certified doctor, Dr. Bacon, in the Nashville area. He was highly reputed, and I even saw him on a news program talking about Cellulaze while I was Googling. So I called up their office. I spoke with Claire Bacon on the phone, who was so helpful, so kind, and accommodating. She informed me that people come to Nashville from all around to get Cellulaze. In lieu of a consultation, I sent 8-10 photos in different lighting, from different angles via email to their office. Dr. Bacon reviewed the photos the same day and returned a quote to me. This doctor is one who charges by the size of the area to be treated, which cuts down on the overall cost. I only needed a small area on each outer thigh, so the quote was $2400.
I have scheduled the procedure for Monday, June 2. The doctor will call in a prescription for antibiotics, and a pain killer that Friday before the procedure. He suggested I get a good compression garment. From what I have read on RealSelf, people talk about the open crotch compression garments. They said I could use Spanx, but I have heard they are not the best to use for cosmetic procedures. So, I found a good surgical grade one: Taylor & Taylor brand Stage 2 Shaper Compression Garment with Open-Crotch. It retails for close to $100 and I found a new one on eBay for $60, and free shipping. This is a slip-on one, as opposed to a zippered one (that sounds awful to have to zip it up). I will travel to Gallatin, TN near Nashville and have the procedure done in their office soon. I will keep you all posted. I’ve uploaded my before photos for you to see.

before photos

Here are my before photos

Day After Procedure

I had Cellulaze yesterday. I took my antibiotics starting the night before as I was asked. I also took a Vicodin before the procedure as a preemptive measure :) However, It was not at all as painful as I expected. The only part that hurt was the numbing of the area where the incisions were made. He injected Lidocaine in 4 areas, 2 on each leg, where the cannula/laser entered. Then he pumped my legs full of numbing solution, after that I felt nothing, The whole experience lasted about an hour. Afterward the nurse pushed out all the remaining numbing fluid in my legs, which was gross. Then she bandaged me up really well at the incision points. I was told to wait to put the compression garment on until I got home and had a shower. This was a good suggestion because as I sat down in the car to leave, my legs gushed fluid. I went home and showered. I was told no bath or pool for a week. I got my husband to bandage me up after the shower. It made me feel very nauseous to see the fluid and blood trickle out. It continued to trickle out the rest of the night, although the bandages helped keep it off the bed sheets. I slept on one of those absorbent pads just in case. Overall, soreness. Not really painful. Hard to walk and sit down. If I was still, it felt tolerable.
Day after:
Today the pain is much better. Still sore but less than yesterday. Bruising is starting to form. Idon't see any results yet. I know some people saw improvement right away but I am reserving judgements until 6 weeks, that's when my doc said I could start to see results. I will continue to update.

day 3

I've uploaded two more photos. Virtually no pain today :) bruising is not as bad as it could be.. Thanks to the Arnica I've been taking for 2 weeks plus Rome lain tablets. So far so good with the drainage.. I think I could get by with bandaids from now on.

Bromelain

Damned autocorrect ...Bromelain tablets!!!

3 days post op pics

I don't see any inkling of improvement yet.. Kinda worries me bc some ppl say they can see where the dimple bands were cut and I can't :( I'll update again in a week. Wish me luck

9 days out...

Bruising is looking way way better. First day at the pool ...I'm still wearing my swim skirt bc as you see the cellulite looks completely the same... Perhaps a bit worse. You can actually see all the imperfections in the natural sunlight. I know I'm only a week or so out but I am overall saddened bc I see ZERO improvement. I don't care what they say about 3-6 months.... The ppl who get good results see the beginning of improvement immediately ...I see nothing and so based on the reviews and photos I've seen on here I will probably be one of the unlucky ones... Need some encouragement here :((((

3 weeks post op

I don't know but I THINK I might be starting to see a LITTLE TINY bit of improvement ...feedback???

pics 3 weeks post op

1 month

Today I see a tiny bit more smoothness. The big dimple is still there but I am slowly starting to feel this MAY work.

Side by side pics

2 month pics

I am still waiting to see the full results. Not totally satisfied. I see improvement but it is SLOW coming. Please leave feedback thanks

3 months

Three months out and i am still not satisfied with the results of the big dimple. That was my biggest problem to begin with. I will probably be marking my results as "not worth it" if I still look this way at the 6 month mark. 2K for these results... No way. I will remain patient and see what happens

almost 4 months post op

Not too much difference. The deep dimple There's is still there. The overall smoothness is way better. If you have that "mattress cellulite" which is cottage cheesy then I think you should go for it. But for pronounced dimpling this procedure is not a good option. Maybe it depends on the doctor and their skill level. I do notice some improvement to the back of my left leg. Maybe you guys can tell too?? I'll keep updated
Dr. Bacon

Thanks so much for taking the time to update your review.
I agree, there is definitely a good improvement. Yes you can very slightly see the large dimple, but you can't deny it has diminished. Is it worth $2K? Are most procedures worth $2k? Prob not, but that's (sadly) what sets apart people who get plastic surgery and those who don't.
I see a HUGE difference! Made a believer. Please post more pics
You are looking Great! I can see a difference :)
Are you satisfied? I'm in Nashville and looking at cellulite treatment options. My area is nearly the same as yours. Feedback? Did you go back and tell them you're not satisfied?
I feel you. I'm 40 and remember when I was about 35 and saw myself in shorts in a mirror at the mall. I was horrified by the cellulite I saw. I am so insecure about it, I do lunges and squats and I hope to one day try a procedure that works. Keep us posted.
I want to get cellulaze and then i read all this stuff about jiggly skin and maybe it is just people not waiting the expected time frames for recovery....it just makes me nervous...but is see regular and smart lipo just does not have the results as cellulaze does
I think you look amazing ! I struggle with cellulite on a small frame too.... Not sure yet what I want to do about it. I appreciate your review.
Your review helped me A lot. I was going to be charged more than 5k! I do hope in 6 months you are HAPPY.
I see results too. Of course i know when you stare at it all the time its different. You got a good deal, if i wanted it done I would have to pay 6800! Yikes! My PS said I looked great and said I should not bother. I had lipo and wanted to fix that but you can't fix botched lipo. Oh well, now that i have worked out and lost weight it looks alot better.
I see results...I think it is much better...I know how you feel...and how slow it seems to be going...BUT i so appreciated your review and photos...I think it looks much better...I am an esthetician...i see your skin improved..
Amazing results!!
Hope all is well and your continuing to heal with great results :) Have a good day!
Wow! I think there has been a VERY noticeable improvement! Your legs look amazing! I seriously hope you felt comfortable enough to ditch the swim skirt at this point in the summer! Thank you for the very thorough documentation of your journey! My story is exactly the same (except my Mom, who was never overweight, had cellulite so I knew it was hereditary!) The shame of my thighs and bottom really impacted my self-confidence as a teen and, I too cannot remember a time when I have not dreaded walking down to the water on the beach or across the pool deck at the pool club. I can't wait to see your "final" results side by side with your before! I bet you will have better than 90% improvement. Please keep posting!
Thank you so much for posting your results. Honestly, the pictures where you are more tan in the before show great improvement in the after. Like you, I started having a deep dimple in the 8th grade at about 90 pounds. Was always thin growing up, but tend to gain weight in my inner and outer upper thigh. I've always worked out and my diet is good, but as we know nothing gets rid of cellulite. Now, in addition to the deep dimple, which has lengthened, I have additional cellulite, which is to be expected with aging. Your pictures have given me a good sense of what to expect. I have a consult this week. His before and after pictures weren't very impressive TBH. At my age, I'll have an honest discussion with him about options. I have NEVER been able, even at 5'7" and 110 pounds (when younger), to walk around in a bathing suit without covering up, because of the deep dimple. I always viewed it as a deformity and a curse. Sad to be otherwise toned and healthy, but never able to enjoy beach vacations with my family like the other moms on the beach. :( Please keep posting your results. Honestly, even seeing your before pictures made me feel not so alone. I've managed my entire life to hide that area from everyone. To have pictures taken of it horrifies me. Hang in there! I can really see improvement in your latest pics.
Your August 9th photos look like a big improvement from baseline!!! Wow!
It's so sad that in this day and age of modern technology and advanced medicine that they can not come up with a permanent correction that plagues certain women. Like we all know age, diet, and weight have nothing to do with why we have this cursed condition. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures, I do see improvement in your pictures but unfortunately I do see some dimpling and after spending the money and recovery time it must be disappointing that it isn't at least 75% improved. Keep the faith and I am sure you will continue to see progress. In the meantime lets all pray that within the next few years they develop a even better treatment for cellulite that is 100% effective and safe!
Looking great!!
I definitely see an improvement. I have heard from other women that it takes 6 months and to feel normal again. So far so good :)
I appreciate all your documentation of your case. I live in Memphis too, went for a consultation for Cellulaze at the same place you mentioned. The Dr. wasnt in that day and I'm scheduled to go back to meet with him. I grew up and my parents live in Gallatin and so I was interested in all your research and opinion about the two surgeons. The more I read about Cellulaze, the more it seems that experience REALLY matters in order to have a decent result. Please continue to post your results and I am thinking very seriously about making an appointment in Gallatin.
Don't go to my doc that I went to in Gallatin. I am not seeing results
Well I won't say not seeing ANY results not on the dimples. They still remain.
Looks good. I hope u post more pictures.
looking smoother!
Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress, I think things looked to have smoothed out, would be great if you could do a side by side next update.