Finally, Going to Beat the Bulge! - Australia

No amount or type of workout has managed to beat...

No amount or type of workout has managed to beat the bulge on my belly. You name it, I have given it 110%, tabata, interval, circuit work, fartlek and intense cardio workouts, clinical pilates......on and on it goes! Working out 6-7 days a week, is a habit for me now, and has provided me with a toned body (except the abs) and healthy mind. But, I have finally accepted that there is nothing else I can do to sculpt my abs, except for surgery.

I am 37 years old, have had 3 children via c-sections, I am 165cm (5ft4) and weigh 54kg(119lb). I am sick of looking at my stomach and feeling like I am still pregnant. I am tired of feeling the frustration at getting no where in my workouts when it comes to my abdominal area.

Day 8 Post op: Today is the first day I feel...

Day 8 Post op: Today is the first day I feel great! Finally I can stand up a lot more erect, which is relieving pressure on my back. Now able to sleep on my side, providing for a better sleep at night.

Spent 3 nights in hospital, pain was minimal, I found my c sections to be more painful, but less discomfort if that makes sense. The muscle repair and tightening I have found to be quite uncomfortable and at times has felt like I would split in half if I stood up! Quickly learnt not to stand erect, as I was cutting of the blood circulation down my midline by doing so.

Had to have a catheter for 2 days, due to the effects of anesthesia, my bladder distended and the pain was horrible. Only one drain was used and this was taken out on day 4. Having it taken out reminded me of the sensation when I had my c sections and they were pulling within my abdominal cavity.

I am wearing a compression garment for 2 weeks, whilst I thought I initially hated it, when I take it off it feels strange and I actually like the support it gives me. I don't like the thought however, of how they put it on me whilst I was unconscious, it makes me laugh and cringe at the same time whe I think about it!

I have my post op appointment today, where my dressings will be taken off and I will get my first peek at my scar and new belly button. Although I have quite a bit of swelling especially late afternoon, my belly bulge certainly has gone!!!!

Here's a few things I have learnt about myself whilst recovering.....
1. I laugh a lot more than I thought, because I have to refrain from laughing constantly to avoid pain!
2. Yelling at my kids is obviously something I did regularly, because now I find myself calming telling them off to avoid pressure on my abs.
3. My wardrobe is mainly equipped with skinny leg pants and I need to get more baggy style whilst I wear a garment.

Have loved this site, to keep me informed of everything involved in my tummy tuck journey. Will post pics after my appointment today.

I just thought to make an update on my case. I am 5months and half post op. AT the five months milestone I notice big improvements. I have to say I gave myself one full month of rest from working out at the gym and took some vacation time traveled and didn't think about it. Now I notice huge recovery . Other than crunches I can do everything but crunches still hurt. I am gonna see my PS in 2 weeks for the 6 months app. and ask him about it.
p.s. It looks fabulous,,,way above my expectation.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-
This comment does not follow our Community Guidelines and/or Terms of Service.
We reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

LilGirl - I'm 51 yrs. Old and had 2 diff c- sections in my 20's, I looked like you and had a lot of stretch marks, I'm 108 pds. I asked my daughter if I was being selfish spending 5900.00 but I work very hard and looked forward to wearing tight blouses. I had my surgery May 11,
now I'm 4 wks. post op. Yes I'm still swollen but flat. I love what I see. My advice please take pain meds for first 3 days nonstop, no exercise till after 2 mths. if you had muscle repair and no housework. You can't breath well the 2 days following surgery so always sit up and you'll be fine. One last thing I'm a diabetic and this was risky for me, but I had a great Dr. in Jupiter. (dr. Rankin) I'm still under his care and so far all his post op care has done me right. Good luck Girl!
i did it and am soo happy..i make love with my husband and like what i see..AND i See what i like ;)..if you have the funds do it with no second thought..
Dear Washington3, all I meant to tell ladies is to be realistic. I believe I will eventually get my core strength back. But there are joys in life that we take for granted( my case joy of yoga) just because we want more and more ( in this case more beauty ) this procedure is too complicated to be consider cosmetic, I recommend it only if you have to do it, not just for being a little more beautiful.
i had the swelling thing also when i started to work again in my gym after 3 weeks post op,i didnt feel pain and felt i was ready as new, i had my belt on which dr told me to wear and went ahead .. it wasn’t very wise, saw my self pregnant and i was terrified. My body showed me that i still needed my time for recovery so i had to stop again and wait for 1 month more thing i could v avoid if i gave my self the correct time and listen to what my dr said from the beginning.. but now am again on the run teaching my 5 lessons a week and weight training and doing my vacu step for my cellulite.. all cool .. but still at night i wear my belt and feel very comfortable and safe.. in the morning am good as new..:)
By the way as Arlington44 says, I look better in the morning and as the day goes my stomach starts to be more noticeable. Also it is noticeable when I sit. I believe that tt operations are more effective for woman with loose skin. I saw several surgeons for supervision before my surgery and they all told me that my appearence needs correction but I am not the ideal candidate for tt. Lipo alone was not sufficent as well. So I preferred a mini tt combined with lipo. This may be your case as well.
My appearence was just like you before the surgery. I had two c-section kids. I didn’t have loose skin or stretch marks but I’ve been looking like 6 months pregnant. I had a mini tt (sort of) with lipo and ab muscle repair 3 months ago. Muscle repair above the belly button was done with endoscopy so that the navel was not cut from inside but only slided a little allowing a mini tt. Now my stomach is not completely flat but it is much better than it once were. I started exercising again and hope that it will get better in time. Good luck with your surgery.
I am happy for you. But I have a hard time to believe that warrior thing!!!! So I must be the unlucky one who can't jump rope, run or yoga!! Don't tell me you can backbend, do vinyasa flow and arm balance or I will be more depressed :(
Swear to goodness I did the Dash (Sunday, May 22nd in the 230pm wave at Budd's Creek in Maryland)! I still have limitations and no, definitely can't do any backbends!! Still have a lot of pulling if I stretch my abdomen too far!! You'll get there. Just remember everyone heals at their own pace!!
Think again. You will loose all your toned body! Your posture will be ruined. No Tabata no joy of life( sport) for god knows how long!! I am 3 month post op. Sure looks better naked but only for a couple of hours in the morning! Then comes back the swelling gradually! By the the night comes and you thought you would put a nice dress on and party you will look pregnant!
TT is not for athletic mind ladies!! Please tell this to your patients docs. It's may be good for very big women who are not hoping to perform sports!!!
I wish somebody had told me that....
Although I haven't had my TT, I think 3 months post op ur body is still adjusting. My sister had her TT about 3 years ago and is running marathons, does triathalons, weights, etc etc and looks great. I hope the same applies to you (and the rest of us)
Thanks for giving me hope. It's good to know about your sister's case. I have been extremely sporty and just not being to perform is very frostrating. I don't want to push too hard to sabotage my results either. My PS is one of the best in the country and my stomach looks gorgeous( early in the morning)my case was just skin tighthening with no fat removal so I expected a quicker recovery!
While everyone is different, I'm here to give you hope! I consider myself quite athletic. I am now 13 weeks post op and am working out (running, biking and lifting weights). Two weeks ago, I competed in the Warrior Dash (a 5k course with obstacles)and had no issues.

I have minimal swelling at the end of the day but it's not unbearable or excessive. I definitely don't look pregnant. Now, I did lose some muscle tone due to not working out during recovery, but that was already an expectation that I had and was willing to take knowing the benefit of loosing my extra skin.

My posture was terrible for the first 4 weeks but resumed to normal after that (I will admit that my back was VERY sore from being hunched over in the beginning - it was my biggest complaint!)

Again, everyone has different experiences, expectations and outcomes. Just know that it can work for smaller athletic body types!
What a shame you have these results. I am very athletic too - had full tt and muscle repair 13 weeks ago and couldn't be ,ore happy with the results . I was running again at 3 weeks post op and have been weight training for the last 4 weeks as well as back to all my regular team sports. I have never been troubled with excessive swelling and would highly recommend this procedure to other women with similar body types.
Sorry to hear you have not been happy with your results. Here's hoping that my surgery will have a positive outcome. I have had 3 C-sections, all with some sort of complication (infections, nerve damage to my leg etc.) so I do know how recovery can be a lengthy and sometimes frustrating process!However, I am sure the end result will hopefully be a belly that is a lot less swollen than it looks now!!! Best of luck with your recovery : )
THANK YOU so much for your positive insight into your surgery. Fantastic to hear you are back into activities! Funny you mention a Warrior Dash, as I am hoping to compete in a similar one here called "tough chick challenge!!" I agree, I think I can sit it out for a while regarding exercise, if the end result is better abs!

July 21 will be here before you know it! Please keep us posted on how you're feeling as the big day nears!

I too am planning for my TT in August, very nervous. I think you will look great, esp since u have no stretch marks (i have a TON).
Good luck !!
Best of luck to you too : )
i also had 3 kids with c section plus one extra operation just to finish the nice look of my UFO abs.. i also work as an instuctor part time in a gym and i also tried it all, but finaly i did it .. i saw another firend of mine abs after tt..and i thought to my self i want my abs to show how hard i work, and THAT WAS THE BEST thing i could award my self with.. so what stops you girl? go for it .. mini with may be lipo a bit.. do it with no second thought. good luck.
Thanks for your comment, great to hear a positive outcome! I too, want my abs to show how hard I work, and forever feel people are looking at my stomach!!