His Tummy Tuck

The decision to proceed with a tummy tuck is not...

The decision to proceed with a tummy tuck is not something that I've taken lightly. It is however something that I've had on my mind for some time, as I always knew it might be the only option.

See, almost 2 years ago now I set about losing a considerable amount of weight. Weight that had crept on through years of eating whatever I liked and using food as an emotional tool when I felt happy and when I felt sad. Regardless of the emotion, food was there.

The result was a final figure of 116kg, and a very unhappy man.

So here I am a number of years later, and after a lot of hard work and a new mindset, I'm now 30kg lighter and enjoying my new found freedom.

I can now buy clothes anywhere and they just fit. Jeans are no longer a nightmare to try on, and I can order a standard medium in almost anything and it fits perfectly.

However, despite this new found freedom there is still a part of me that is not quite right. I look in the mirror and even though the weight is considerably reduced, there are still the telltale signs of a bigger man - a man whose skin was stretched beyond capacity. Hence the tummy tuck.

When I started on this journey, it was always my greatest fear that my mid-section would not bounce back as well as I would like. And for many years, it was one of the main reasons that I wouldn't even consider really trying to lose weight because I'd always think, what will I be left with.

I'm sure this is something that many larger people struggle with. The eternal questions of 'is it better to be fat with taught skin, or thinner with a bit of loose skin'?

According to the medical profession, the latter is the best, but when you're the one dealing with this dilemma, commonsense doesn't always prevail.

However, luckily these days there are options at the end. There is liposuction and surgery to assist in the cleanup process. But of course, procedures themselves aren't without risk. More on my thoughts on that later.

For those that have made it to the end of this post, welcome. I'll be updating regularly in the lead up to and post surgery. This blog won't go into detail about my surgeon, where I'm having the surgery done of anything like that. It's just a place for me to share my journey, as reading other people's stories has also helped me.

Days to surgery: 29 Here I am on the eve of 28...

Days to surgery: 29

Here I am on the eve of 28 days to surgery, and I still can't wait for the actual day

There are still times when I have doubts about the extent of such surgery, but I know deep down that it's the only way to finish off my journey.

I find sometimes that I end up thinking about the procedure more at night when I'm getting ready to go to sleep. I think about post procedure and wonder how it will look? Will the pain outweigh the result? I find it's the small things that make me think, like the idea of having my belly button removed and a new one installed. It's quite surreal when you think about it. But then, all it really takes is a look in the mirror to remind myself about why I'm doing all of this again.

Yes, I could put up with what I have and just be happy with it, but then again, I'm come so far.

Is there anyone out there that has any regrets about proceeding with their surgery? If so, please feel free to comment or provide suggestions on how best to deal with the aftermath, both emotionally and physically.

Days to surgery: 22 Another week over, and now...

Days to surgery: 22

Another week over, and now just over 3 weeks until surgery.

Not much has changed, in that that I wish I could just bring the whole thing forward. I did however find myself contacting my PS during the week to make enquiries about dog ears and how common they are in male patients. I knew I shouldn't have spent so much time researching last weekend.

Regardless, everything is still going ahead as planned and I'll deal with the adjustments (dog ears) if and when they happen. I still have those moments where I think it should never have come to this and I think about how much of this is my fault. But regret is not going to get my far by way of healing, so will just go with the flow.

Enjoying hearing updates from Abscape who had his surgery just this past week. Great to see others on here willing to share their journey.

BTW - I do have before photos, so plan to publish the before and afters sometime in the future.

Days to surgery: 7 Well here I am, just 7 days...

Days to surgery: 7

Well here I am, just 7 days away from surgery and still it can't come soon enough.

Today I purchased a few necessities for my stay in hospital, including some loose tracksuit pants and zip up cardigans. Also on the list was a very cheap stool for the shower....a 'just in case' requirement I'm hoping.

By this time next Sunday I'm assuming I'll be quite nervous. However, at the moment all I can think is that this week is going to be a long week. I guess I'm lucky that I anticipate it being a busy week at work, so it will just be work and gym each night.

My biggest concern at present is how to keep weight gain to a minimum while recovering. I'm reading other forums for suggestions, and some say it's normal to gain a little weight while recovering. Any suggestions on how to avoid (apart from not eating at all) would be welcome.

Until next Sunday....

Days to surgery: 24 hrs Well here I am - less...

Days to surgery: 24 hrs

Well here I am - less than 24 hours from admission and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super nervous and anxious.

I've almost done everything I can to prep my apartment for my return. Everything is super clean, as I don't want annoyances where I'm recuperating and thinking I really should dust that or clean that.

From my admission time, I can safely say that mine will be an afternoon procedure so I expect that I'll be out for most of Monday evening.

Other than that, I feel like I know some of what to expect thanks to people like ABSCAPE posting regular updates, and others on here that have been sharing their stories and tips on what to do pre and post surgery.

Next update with be post-op. Wish me luck.

Well here I am on the other side of it all and...

Well here I am on the other side of it all and feeling as expected.

My rest last night was minimal with sleep for an hour on and off, but at least I managed to get some sleep. Although I did have the tv on all night for company.

I've got another 3 days in hospital ahead of me but comfort levels should improve in the coming days. At present im on a drip, oxygen and compression machines on my legs... Not to mention the caffita. However I believe tomorrow will be the day for caffita removal. Bring it on I say.

Overall I'm ok. Expecting some visitors today along with my surgeon. From what I can remember of recovery yesterday, all went well.

4 days post surgery Here I am 4 days post...

4 days post surgery

Here I am 4 days post surgery and I'm doing ok.

I checked out of hospital yesterday and have never been so excited to be going home. I can't complain about my treatment in hospital as the staff were all lovely, but there is a sense of independence that it lost when in hospital.

Anyway, yesterday I was able to have a decent shower and wash my hair. Although, regular rests were required.

I tried to put myself to bed after having a shower, but soon realised that my normal bed was just too flat even with pillows behind my next and under my knees. Luckily I have a lounge with recliners, so the move out onto the lounge into the reclined position was the best. And for bed, I placed myself in the single recliner which was quite a nice bed (based on currently limitations).

Today will just be more lazing about. Getting up first thing in the morning is always the hardest as everything has tightened overnight. However, I am noticing that each day I'm straightening out a little more. I think the key is for frequent rests. Make a coffee, get some breakfast and then rest. Have a shower, get dressed and then rest.

I haven't been able to look at myself in the mirror as yet - not with all the stitches in. I think this is more in case I freak out, but it will all come eventually.

Well it's been 7 days since surgery now, and...

Well it's been 7 days since surgery now, and everything is getting better each day.

I'm still walking a little hunched over, but I think I've mastered the art of showering and getting dressed in a decent amount of time. The first few days were quite the chore.

At present I'm still sleeping on both a recliner and on the lounge. Tonight I will try the bed, however will move back out into the lounge room if it proves to be still too hard.

All in all, I have nothing to complain about at present. I've even stopped taking pain medication and haven't hadn't any issues with sudden pain or anything as yet (touch wood).

I'm a week out from my first followup with my Doctor, so hopefully all will continue to just come along nicely. Though, I still haven't had a good look at everything in the mirror. I've seen it in hospital and seen glimpses before, but I'm yet to do the full mirror view. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.