Juverderm Eye Bags (Tear Troughs) - Australia

I had Juverderm back in July for treatment of...

I had Juverderm back in July for treatment of undereye circles but all it did was make them more prominent and gave me bags under my eyes. The doctor overfilled the area particularly on my left eye. I have been very unhappy with the results.

Since then i have three injections of hyaluronidase the under last one was 4mls in each eye which i am told is a lot. This was ten days ago. I now have a bag under my left eye which is bothering me quite a bit. I have never had one before only dark circles.

I have been very unhappy with my treatment. I went in for dark circles and ended up still with those and now bags. I feel the treatment makes me look at least five years older.

My question is do i need another shot of...

My question is do i need another shot of hyaluronidase even though i have had three is it possible that there is still some product left? How long does it take to resole. How long should i wait before returning to the doctor? -- Updated on Jan 13, 2010: I have since been to the occular surgeon whom has injected me with another shot of hyaluroidase tory ensure all the juviderm is gone. He said he thought it may be fibrous scar tissue. Is there a treatment for this other than surgery? -- Updated on Jan 17, 2010: I went to a second doctor who has given me a final shot of the reversal treatment which has not worked. He said if it didn't work what he believes i have his fibrous scar tissue from the injection. I am going back to him in two weeks. Is there any treatment for this other than surgery?

Hi Tried But Failed

I had a huge amount of hyaluronidase injected in my laugh line area on the right side of my face 24 hours after having juvaderm injections. There was an arterial blockage from the juvaderm injection which was why it needed to be dissolved otherwise I was at risk for skin necrosis. The hyaluronidase spread throughout my face and causes swelling and blackness underneath my eyes. This happened six months ago and although better I still have what appears to be two fat pads protruding from each corner of my eyes. Not sure if this will eventually disappear or is permanent damage from hyaluronidase...I also have indentations under my eyes which appears to be tissue damage and hollowness...very frustrating as the hyaluronidase was not injected near my eyes and I never had any product injected under my eyes but it does show how dangerous this supposedly "safe" product is ...
philippa is everything ok now?? Are you happy with your eyes? After the removal are you finally improved or just plain back to what you look like before you took any surgeries???

thanks!!!
From all my research BEFORE I went to the doctor, Juvederm should never be used for eye bags. I want mine done too, but the only safe and long-lasting way is plastic surgery. Believe me if there was a non-invasive way I would do it. When I had my marionette lines done with Juvederm I asked the Doc. was by research right - response, most definitely. Don't mean to sound like a "know it all" but it's your face ladies/gentlemen, don't rely on your doctor for everything.
Hi All

The ocular surgeon was hopeless. I ended up going to a PS who said it was very unusual what happened. However, what he believes occurred like what tried but failed said that tissue damage occured due to the hyaluronidase which caused the fat pads to protrude forward.

I had the fat pads under my eyes removed at 28! All i can say about this whole experience is that it was a very expensive lesson.

Thank you to all of you for your support. I can only hope that my experience will make someone else stop and think before they undergo this procedure.
Hi there, I'm so pleased, after all the heartache!, that you finally got a good, though expensive result. Yes, that's young at 28 to have pads removed. I'm a lot older, but they started in my 30's and have gotten progressively worse.

In your area, what was the cost for the PS to remove them? What was the "downtime" and how did it look during that time - in other words, when could you "face the world"

Thanks
And the way to tell the difference between swelling and herniated fat under the eyes is to check the difference between what it looks like when your eyes are looking upwards. Swelling looks about the same whether your eyes are looking straight ahead or looking up, but herniated fat looks much worse (ie bulges out more) when you are looking upwards. If the lump is firm and puffy feeling and looks worse when your eyes are in upgaze then it is probably herniated fat. I agree with you that it is unlikely to be a granuloma but it would be good for you to rule that out also. Good luck.
Ok - no botox so we can rule out any botox disaster. It would seem that you are therefore left with 1. Swelling from hyaluronidase 2. Tissue damage from hyualuronidase 3. Residual juvederm perhaps in layers of tissue that the hyaluronidase is not reaching 4. Damaged orbital septum from the hyaluronidase or any of the injections. If your orbital septum has been damaged it may have allowed some of the fat under your eye that is normally held back to protrude through creating the 'bag'. An ocular plastic surgeon should definitely rule that out and I know how hard it is to get in to see a specialist in this country! Have a look at some of the questions to the doctors about lumps under the eyes after dermal filler. Maybe it is best to do nothing further until you have seen the specialist in Feb? Please let us know what you find out. Cheers
Thank you for your help. I just had the Juverderm and then the reversal. The lump is only in my left eye and makes it look like a bag. The hyaluronidase worked perfectly in one eye but this one still has the lump its firm so i am not sure if its product. I am trying to get into a occular surgeon with no avail until end of Feb. I thought it might be a granuloma but i have read the chances of that are so slim. So i am baffled as to what it could be and am tired of people pointing it I am curious to know if it is a granuloma what is the treatment, do they go with time or what else it could possibly be? Any help would so appreacited.
Thank you for your help. I just had the Juverderm and then the reversal. The lump is only in my left eye and makes it look like a bag. The hyaluronidase worked perfectly in one eye but this one still has the lump its firm so i am not sure if its product. I am trying to get into a occular surgeon with no avail until end of Feb. I thought it might be a granuloma but i have read the chances of that are so slim. So i am baffled as to what it could be and am tired of people pointing it I am curious to know if it is a granuloma what is the treatment, do they go with time or what else it could possibly be? Any help woudl so appreacited.
Philippa - I live in Australia also. I had restylane dissolved with hyaluronidase in June 09 and it has been downhill ever since. The swelling under my eyes after the hyaluronidase was incredible. I had a hypersensitivity reaction to the hyaluronidase and under my eyes blew up like two water balloons and went completely black. I had dark circles before but honestly they went BLACK. I too have puffy bags under my eyes now, but guess what? They are from BOTOX. My face got dropped by botox (administered at same time as the filler), causing my eye muscle to flatten out which allowed my facial fat to droop down my face. I also think my cheek muscle got caught by the botox too. It is called cheek ptosis and I have written all over this website about it. Botox can also cause festoon formation under the eye (which I also have) and I have written about that too. Lots of people complain about puffy eye bags after botox. I have improved a bit now (six months later) but initially it looked like I was ill or had lost a lot of weight, but it was neither. It was botox. The botox also overly weakened the muscles directly under my eyes enabling the fat pads to herniate and bulge forward. Hence, the new puffy eye bags. No amount of hyaluronidase will fix a botox disaster. I was very confused as to what had happened because I had two things done at once - dermal filler under the eyes and botox. When something went wrong, I blamed it on the restylane. WRONG CHOICE. It was not the restylane and I should never have had it dissolved. It was botox. But because I didn't know, I had more botox to try to disguise the damage and it made it a million times worse. My advice to you is stop with the hyaluronidase - it damages your own natural tissue. Also you risk permanent damage to your orbital septum, which only surgery like a blepharoplasty will be able to fix. After the amount of hyaluronidase you have had there is no way that you have any restylane left in there. And hyaluronidase dissolves your own natural hyaluronic acid so you are just damaging the tissue under your eyes very badly. Please no more. MY QUESTION FOR YOU: HAVE YOU HAD BOTOX IN THE CROWS FEET, BUNNY LINES OR UNDER THE LASHES WITHIN THE LAST SIX TO NINE MONTHS OR SO? I have done a lot of research on disasters with juvederm/restylane and hyaluronidase and botox. I am happy to help you work out what has gone wrong. There are several possibilities regarding your new eye bags: 1. It is swelling from the hyaluronidase which will only resolve with time 2. It is tissue damage from the hyaluronidase which is unlikely to resolve 3. It is botox related (if this applies to you) for which the only antidote is time 4. It is damage to your orbital septum from either the hyaluronidase or any of the injections around your eyes for which you will need to consult an ocular plastic surgeon to determine the extent of the damage and what can be done for repair. If you want to talk directly to me, please send me a private email through this site with your real email address and/or phone number. I have also been living this nightmare for many months so don't feel alone. Cheers, K
Also - to add if this is a granuloma is there a treatment for it other than surgery?
I know how hard it is for you. I had Juvederm two weeks ago for eye hollows. I got a ridge along each injection site. It appears a raised line on my cheek bone. I can feel the gel when I touch it. I am going to see the dr tomorrow and will ask for the treatment of Hyaluronidase. I don't know whether it will work or not. I wish I would' never do it.
Its been so long since ive posted here. But i thought to help others i should speak about the solution. I ended up having lower bleph on both eyes at 27 years old. I regret more than anything thrr mistake i made with the fillers. The surgeon i went to was Dr Tony Tonks (Canberra) and he was excellent. It was an expensive lesson.