At Home TCA Peel for Hyperpigmentations/melasma - Australia

I'll update this as the days go one- I've...

I'll update this as the days go one- I've just done my first 12.5% TCA peel. I've been getting microderms for months and use AHA / retin A products so my skin was well-prepped.

Pros-
- Cost: it's cheap I got my kit from MUAC. It will probably last a year's worth of peels.
- Directions for use: I was wary both because of the cheap cost and DIY aspect, but I was glad to see that instructions were clear and thorough.

Cons-
- As other reviewers have stressed, you must follow instructions explicitly so it takes being very mindful.
- Prep Time: Optimal results seem to come from good skin preparation -retin A and AHA products over a series of weeks.
-Patience : The results are said to be gradual and I'm not a patient person so I saw this as a bit of a drawback.

I've finally completed three weeks. The end...

I've finally completed three weeks. The end result is I see no change, if in fact my skin has gotten any better. It was considerable downtime to get no result, but from research it takes a few peels before there are any noticeable results. My last picture below shows the before and after, though the exposure on the camera is different and could throw off the results.
Verdict: one peel is some serious work and there are no results. I'm going to try again.

Third times the charm! I did four peels actually,...

Third times the charm! I did four peels actually, but it was the third when I realized it really was working! The stubborn band of discoloration that was on my upper forehead, my upper lip, and in two patches beneath my eyes is gone. All gone.

I was really about to throw in the towel on the third try, but after about 4 days ( the peel was 18% and it was really intense) the skin came off in sheets ... with the
pigmentation.

What's funny is, now that I tell people I had pigmentation really bad, they don't believe me.

I've stopped because summer's coming, but this is definitely part of my winter regime.

Make Up Artist's Choice website

MUAC is easy to order from, comes with good instructions and is relatively cheap (I ended up here after doing a lot of research on other sites). The products took about 10 days to come so it wasn't too bad.

paolaka I did no prep other than cleaning my face with a face wash. I actually did another peel today a 20% 3 layer peel.
Hiya, The dilution depends on the initial strength of the solution. I bought the highest grade, I believe, from MUAC it's 30%. From the instructions they give you they will tell you how to dilute it correctly. Sorry, I just don't want to be wrong and tell you from memory. I just really suggest starting low, at 12% or so ( as instructions will say). Being a bit underwhelmed by the results the first time is better than getting burnt and setting yourself back. I only did the 20% once, and even after prepping my skin and being extremely careful with timing the peels and wearing sunscreen, it was very, very strong. This is NOT the week for photo opps. For prep I did gylcolic peels. They'll get your skin prepared and you'll see your results faster. I did this for about a month, mostly because I was truly worried to apply the peel. It sat in the bathroom cabinet for a couple weeks. The glycolic peels were about 15% and I did them twice a week. I bought something from Sephora for it though there are a lot of peels over the counter you can buy. Now it's been a year. Some stubborn patches of the melasma have come back, but lighter. I have dropped thousands on my skin, and I really am happy that I looked into this. I'd gotten peels from the derm. micros, laser, you name it. This seems to be the most cost-effective, and effective that I've had. Good luck
ty so much KAZZA
Hi all,

I went online and found instructions on how to dilute the TCA peel. See the website below:

Thanks for posting your phases of the peel in such detail. It really helps us in our research for doing a chemical peel at home. Like Jules, I'm also very much interested in knowing how you diluted the product. If you could let us know, that would be wonderful :o)

I have had 3 peels done so far (from my dermatologist), and have been contemplating if i should begin doing this at home because it's becoming expensive at $100 per 5-10min session. If i could do the peel at home while being methodical and following the directions to the T, it would save me a significant amount of money.

Hi kazza, how do u dilute it? Thanks

Did you use a Neutralizer to remove the Chemical Peel and if so what is the name of it? I had a Chemical Peel done at the Plastic Surgeons but I would like to do it myself. I have given myself Botox injections and once did a Chemical Peel a few years back but didn't have a Neutralizer. The girl at the Dr. office did use a Neutralizer and removed it so much easier. She also used a small fan on my face to keep the burning sensation down, I thought that was a good idea. Please e-mail me if you can give me the name and where to purchase it. Sincerely, Tamm
Hi Tamm,

My dermatologist put on a cooling solution on my face about 15 seconds after she applied the TCA to my face. The cooling solution is called: Retinoic Acid 0.4% solution.

To be honest, this REALLY helps. The intense stinging sensation was cleared almost as soon as she applied it to my face. My friend went to a derm who didn't have any cooling solution for post-peel application. Thank god i found a doctor who did!
Hey Gab,
Just posted a pic for you up there. Not sure if the camera/lighting can properly show how much of the pigmentation is gone. Plus, a little has come back because I haven't been using sunblock like I should (shamefully hangs head).
I would do the peel on a Wed night/Thursday. Day four is probably the worst. So if you can plan to stay in Sat Sunday then you should be in good shape.
I use ultraceutical products and have very good luck with them. My favorite is even skin tone serum, but the Vitamin C is also worth the money. The even skin tone serum has low AHA (10%) so it's a good daily one to use in preparation.

Good luck Gab!

Hi kezza- I am also thinking of this peel for melasma. Do you have a final pic? If I had to take days off work (if I can't show my face) which days do you think? Also what products and what was you regime to prep? Thanks!!

Hi Qwesza,
I had gotten a 30% MUAC TCA peel and diluted it. I only mentioned that the 12.5% didn't do anything and then the 18% was super strong to underline how important it is to slowly increase the strength. Since the 12.5% did nothing, I had expected that the my skin was 'tough' but as soon as the 18% hit my skin I knew that I was going to spend the week with a bag over my head. Mind you, my skin looked about 5 years younger afterwards! Ah, the price of beauty!
I did 20% 2 layers. looked like a hot mess but at the end of the week all of my sun damage was gone
hi josephga01, i want to ask you if you had tca before the 20% 2 layers you did, and if you prep your skin before??
I'm confused, your 12.5% didn't yield results, so you purchased the 18% one?

I got myself the 12.5% MUAC TCA Peel and currently deciding whether I should go for the 18% one :(
A TCA peel stands for a Trichloroacetic Acid peel which is a process which has been used by beauty skin doctors to treat conditions as different as wrinkle reduction.

Thanks so much for the update kazza, it's great to have community members come back and let us know how everything is going.

-Britt

Hi kazza,

I'm glad that you are at the point of "so far so good." You mentioned the same thing everybody who is happy with their at home procedures mentions, follow the directions carefully. Your pictures are great for the community to see and I'm excited to hear how well everything continues to go. Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review and happy Friday!

-Britt