Pressure on Middle of Head After Surgery - Australia

I had endoscopic eyebrow lift 4 weeks ago. One of...

I had endoscopic eyebrow lift 4 weeks ago. One of my eyebrows had dropped and was creating pressure on my eyelid which made my eye heavy and watery. It was a real effort to keep my eye open. My specialist came highly recommended. He said I needed to do both eyebrows. My eyebrows are now numb, so is the area above my eyebrow and the top of my head. On the middle of my head I often get pressure which is quite unpleasant. My specialist told me the numbness would disappear over 4 months but did not know what to make of the pressure. Has anyone else had pressure on their head after the eyebrow lift?

It is now a week later. The pressure in the...

It is now a week later. The pressure in the middle of my head is a bit less as long as I do not lift any heavy things (it is now 5 wks after the operation). For the rest my forehead, eyebrows and top of my head still feels numb. Because of the pressure in the middle of my head I often lack motivation to do anything. I hope the situation will improve soon

It is now 9 weeks ago since my operation. I have...

It is now 9 weeks ago since my operation. I have just taken 2 Ibuprofens. To think I did not even know what Ibuprofen was before this operation upsets me to no extent. I never ever used to get headaches. I asked the specialist if I would end up with headaches after the operation I was told it was unlikely if I did not have them before. I still have the pressure on top of my head. I had hoped that by now i would feel a lot better. The reason for the operation was a drooping, heavy eyelid. It has remained unchanged although people notice it more now. Even people that don't know about the operation. I also still have the faint blue lines on the bottom of my eye socket/top of my cheek which other people can easily notice. So overall not impressed.

4 months review

This week it will be 4 months ago that I had my eyebrow lift. Not much has changed from the 3 months review. You can still see the bruises on my cheekbone although thy have faded quite a bit. I still have tightness on top of my head. Sometimes it is not too bad and sometimes I need to take Ibuprofen. It seems that not drinking enough makes it worse. So I do my best with drinking as much as I can. A friend of mine who has had quite a few operations cheered me up by saying it may be 2 years before all the nerve endings have grown back. That was news I certainly did not want to hear. But considering it is now 4 months since the operation and progress is slow, she could be right. The specialist's wife (when i tried to phone the specialist) told me the slow healing is because I am older (I am 63 yrs old and certainly not decrepit and in very good health). I am curious to hear how Mark and Faith are doing. So this is my latest news. Best wishes to you all. Ineke

5 months review

It is now almost 5 months ago since my operation. I don't have to take Ibuprofen anymore and overall I feel a lot better although I still have the tightness on my head and forehead. Sometimes better, sometimes not that great. I am definitely hoping that by the end of next month it will be a distant memory. Fingers crossed. So I don't have much to report.

5 1/2 months development

This afternoon I have been to a cosmetic surgeon specialised in eyelid lifts. I still have problems with drooping eyelids and the endoscopic browlift ( suppsed to fix this) had no benefits only negatives. The cosmetic specialist referred me to a surgeon who is Professor specialised in Ophthalmology because he felt that I have ptoses

n. pl. pto┬Ěses (-sz). Wickepedia)
Abnormal lowering or drooping of an organ or a part, especially a drooping of the upper eyelid caused by muscle weakness or paralysis.

He also felt that it needs someone skilled in Ophthalmology and it was not his area of expertise. So now I need to make an appointment with this Professor and take it from there. I forgot to mention that is till have those blue lines under my eyes just above my cheekbone. I asked the cosmetic specialist about that and he said that is blood pooling. When asked when that would go or if that would go, he could not/ would not say. So the saga with my eyelid will be continued.

6 1/2 months review

I basically have not much to report. I am just waiting for my appointment with the Opthamologist on 1 October. The symptoms described before are pretty much the same. I had expected more improvement by now. Last week I even had to resort to Ibuprofen because I was fed up with the tightness/pain on my head and forehead and heaviness on my eyelids. I cannot wait for my appointment on 1 October. Maybe I am expecting too much from that appointment . I just want it all to go away. Sorry, I sincerely wish I had more positive news to report. All I can say is do a lot of research before you have the Brow Lift. It is a big operation with lengthy after effects.

6 1/2 months review changes

Just the day after I posted the above review I had to see my GP who is interested in the possibility that I may have ptosis. He had undertaken some research and told me to get some tests done so that I have them ready for the Ophtamology specialist who I'll be seeing on October 1. I had to do a blood test to check for my Thyroid and another test to check the Peripheral Nerves above my eyelid. This will be done on September 4. Thank goodness the tests are being bulk billed. The test for the Peripheral Nerves would otherwise have cost me $800. Isn't he a great GP to check that all out and to get it bulk billed? So the wait continues but at least things are happening :)

Bruising after eyebrow lift surgery

I read quite a few reviews of surgeons on your website who state that there is no or hardly any bruising after an eyebrow lift. Please see attached photos and also notice how totally unsuccessful the operation was. All that I gained from the operation are constant tightness on my head, headaches (which I never used to have) and still bruising on my cheeks. After 8 months I still cannot do any heavy lifting and if I don't drink enough the headaches also get worse. Take notice of my photos and i hope I can prevent some people from having this dreadful operation.

photos have been cropped

I just one to let you know that because the second photo has been cropped considerably you cannot see that my cheek was all yellow/blue right down to my jawbone and the photo also shows some jowls that had been created for the occasion to collect the blood that ran down my cheek. So much about no bruising after the operation.

Almost 9 months

Although each time it is getting somewhat better, I still have problems with tightness in my forehead and tightness on my head. Sometimes it is worse than other times. I thought I had more or less solved the issue of my eyes because I felt I had been taking too much magnesium but tonight I had to go out to listen to a forum and I had big problems keeping my right eye open. I am quietly hoping this tightness will be over once a year has passed. :-)

1 week then it will have been 10 months

The tightness on my head and forehead continues. Last week I went to see a Professor of Opthamology who thought that it could take a total of 12 to 18 months before the muscles will slacken. I showed him a photo of the bruising after my eyebrow surgery and he told me that he had never seen bruising like that before. He also more or less indicated that he did not believe in the school that supported eyebrow surgery for ptosis (which I have now definitely been diagnosed with). He is going to operate my eyelids in February. I cannot wait for that operation because initially the ptosis only effected my right eye but it now effects both my eyes. I now also have it during the daytime whereas before I only had it at night. It is very tiring and is effecting the quality of my life. I am so glad now that my operation will be done by a very capable professor of Opthamology. By the time he does the operation it will have been a year of drama and visiting all sorts of specialists to get my eyelid problem fixed I can now finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :-)

My recent eyelid lift

My journey is almost over. Friday 7 Feb 2014 I had my eyebrow lift which was done by Prof Sullivan. He is an excellent specialist and a very nice person as well in contrast to the uncaring Opthamologist who did my eyebrow lift last year. The anaesthetist this time was also a very nice person and last year the anesthetist was also quite unpleasant. The eyelid lift was a walk in the park. I have had to take no painkillers afterwards and the bruising has been absolutely minimal. This coming Wednesday the stitches will come out. I am not looking forward to that but I know Prof Sullivan will do his best to minimise the pain. An extra bonus is that my headaches so far have not returned. The day before the surgery I had quite a bad headache (still the result of my eyebrow lift). I had to phone the anaesthetist the day be4 the operation if I could have more time to drink water because that seemed to alleviate the headaches a bit, and that was ok. I hope I will not get the headaches back. I never had headaches be4 the eyebrow lift. I still have some of the tightness on top,of my head but without the headaches that is not too bad. So my journey is almost over. It has been a long journey to get to this point but at least it has now almost to an end. I wish everybody who has had a bad experience the very best and hopefully you will also come across a nice, very skilled specialist that can make things better for you. Cheers, Ineke

Correction to the above story

I had my eyelid lift on 7 Feb 2014. Apologies .

The ongoing saga following my eyebrow lift

It has been a while since I wrote a review. I have been very busy and my husband and I are just back from a 4 weeks holiday. But here we go. I continue to have headaches as a result of my eyebrow lift almost every day so I am not impressed. I specifically asked my first specialist if I would end up with headaches after the eyebrow lift. As mentioned before, he told me that if I never had them before, there should be no reason why I should get them after the operation. How wrong could he be! It is ongoing after 1 1/2 yrs.
My eyelid lift was successful as long as I do not get very tired. Then my right eyelid starts to feel heavy and sags.
So, as far as the eyebrow lift is concerned, there are no changes. I live in hope it will get better. To think I have subjected myself to the eyebrow lift is hard to come to terms with.

From two GPs

Thanks for the update and I couldn't agree more with your advice "My advice is DO NOT HAVE AN EYEBROW LIFT UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD REASON TO DO IT."
I've read your updates with great interest. It sounds like your surgeon cut too much out of your brow, making it too tight. Do you think that's possible? At your consultation, did he, or you, push up on your forehead to see if that would affect the drooping lid? Because the brow lift with upper lid surgery should have fixed that completely? I had a brow lift with upper and lower lids 8 days ago. My forehead didn't get bruised, but is yellow and wondered if that was the surgical wash they use (it's still on my face too). My brow isn't numb but the top of my head is. I emphasized that I didn't want unnaturally high brows and brought photos of before/after that I wanted her to see, so that worked out ok. I am noticing a lot of hair loss, and hope to heck that it's 'shock' loss and that it'll grow back! Scary. I am also noticing that my bangs don't seem to go straight down my forehead like they used to, they are headed more to the right, like maybe she took more from the right side, altering the direction of the hairline. I hope this post helps in some way.
Thanks for your email. That could well be that the specialist cut too much out of my brow because it always feels tight and sometimes my forehead feels quite warm. I still have to have the eyelids done but as you can imagine I will not go back to the surgeon that did my eyebrows although he came recommended by 3 GPs. I seriously don't know why because I looked an absolute fright after the op and still now after almost 9 months have some blood that has pooled on the top of my cheek. The specualist was atrocious and did not tell me much of what was to be expected after the op. He only mentioned that my head could be itchy and that the recovery would be 4 to 6 month. I still have daily headaches. I never used to have headaches. Yesterday I had to take Ibuprofen. I never used to know what it was. I did ask him if I would have headaches afterwards as I never had them. He said " if you did not have them before, there is no reason why you should get them after the operation". He also did not tell me I could not lift anything, avoid spicy food. When I came back after the operation he did not have much to say. He took his camera out of his desk, but put it away again as I looked worse after the op and said "you lifts your eyebrows when I took the photo before the op" as an excuse why the before and after was not a success story. He had a very uninterested attitude. I suppose he had his money and it felt to me as if his interest was gone. His wife, who took out my stitches, told me that I should not do any lifting. But that was 2 weeks later. She also seemed quite surprised by all the bruising I had. Yes, my brow lift is definitely not a success story. You were very lucky especially as you can read on RealSelf that I was not the only one with a bad story. I hope your hair grows back again. Best wishes, Ineke

Thank you for your fabulous updates! I'm sorry you're still experiencing discomfort and still have the drooping lid. That must be incredibly frustrating. Hopefully a few more months of healing with help.

Thank you for your kind response. I also hope a few more months and all will be over. So much about 4 to 6 months that the specialist told me. Yes, it has been and is still very frustrating because it sometimes effects my concentration as I am focus on the tightness on my head. As long as I have been able to stop one person from undergoing an endoscopic eyebrow lift then my stories and all my updates have been worth it. Ineke
Yeeeess,,Leniesart if we can stop one person from experiencing what we had to go through then everything was worth it and there was a reason why it happenned . My doctor told me after the surgery not to eat spicy foods or drink alcohol..of course I did not pay attention to that and that could be one of the reasons my recovery was so lenghtly and painfull.. I irritated all the nerves and got a lot of inflamation... Please hang in there remember it took me 10 months..Luv viv
It sounds to me that the surgeon took too much off your brow, making it feel uncomfortably tight!
It took me 10 months to recover from an endoscopic eyebrow lift, the pressure in my forehead was unberable, the itching also got unberable, I still have some numbness in my forehead after 3 years. Had to be out of work on dissability for 5 months. Got depress, took all kind of medications for pain and also to relax. Thanks to my faith God got me through this missery. I have a mission to let everybody now what the doctors do not tell you. This is a very painfull surgery with a lot of risk. My advice do botox. How good it is to look younger if you are in pain and discomfort. I forgot to tell you I lost 10 pounds. Please informed yourselves. From the bottom of my heart believe me it is not worth it. Viv
Hi Viviana, It is scary to hear from you that after 3 yrs you still have some numbness in yr forehead. I have had some itchiness. My specialist had warned me but it was not that bad at all. Had you been warned that there was a chance that you might not work for 5 months? And also that you lost 10 pounds that is shocking. Just like you I am telling everyone, who wants to listen, not to have an endoscopic brow lift. Even some doctors on this website act as if this operation is a walk in the park. It definitely is not. DO NOT DO IT.
Viviana, I wish you all the best and hopefully the numbness in your forehead will disappear soon.
Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone.  It is important that others understand what could also happen to them.  I also deeply regret mine.  I put way too much trust into my surgeon when I should have realized that this is how they make a living and getting our money is more important to them than the risks and side effects that us patients have to live with.
Thanks for your response Faith. Yes, I have also lost some respect for specialists and will not accept any advice anymore before I have checked it out thoroughly. It seems they are just a business as everyone else. So much for their oath to do the right thing by people. It is sad now that we will also distrust the ones that do the right thing but unfortunately that's how it is. The bad ones always ruin it for the good ones as well. Best wishes. Ineke
Thank you Leniesart...thanks God the numbness is partial and I had learned to leave with it... Your tighness at this time might be due to the muscle being over strecht it slowly gives in..if you have felt some improvement that is good news,,sometimes the improvements take so long that we loose hope...You are in your way to recovery Leniesart the pressure should go away soon....
Hi Leniesart. Is it OK if I ask who your surgeon was?
I am more then happy to give you the name of my specialist. He lives in Brisbane, Australia. If you give me your email address I will sent you his name. I don't want any problems by making it public on this website
RE: Your 19 August 2013 comment. I am so sorry that you continue to have such a problem since your surgery. I can not understand why your eyelids would feel so heavy. Mine do not. I do wonder if you really could have the weak muscles in you eyelids. Make sure you ask the doctor about the possibility of your issue being ptosis. My eyelids hurt little. But the problem I have is from the eyebrow lift. Same as you with the tightness of the head and I have pain in the forehead on each side. Most of the time I don't take medication but it brothers me alot.
I'm sorry for all you're going through.  I know how frustrating it must be.  Hoping it gets better over time for you.
Leniesart, it sounds like you continue to have problems with this surgery. I have some pain and tightness of the head but but no blood pooling. Because I had both the brow lift and eyelid lift at the same time, my eyes are open just fine. No more droopy eyelids. I'm am so sorry that you continue to have problems.
Mark here. I really do not have any encouraging news to report. I had my surgery on January 18th. The top of my head continues to feel stretched. The pain in my eyebrows becomes very sharp at times, usually in the middle of the night and when I lean over to accomplish tasks. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I have to wait a minute before I can resume what I was doing. Overall, I think it is getting better, but it seems every time I say something like that, it reminds me that it is in control, not me. hahahaha Last May I had foot surgery to where the surgeon had to cut the bone in half then screw it back together. It took about nine months to feel good. It still, at times, bothers me. Because we had our heads operated on and there is so many nerves, many are stressed and will take quite a while to get better. I am hoping that when my first anniversary of the surgery comes up, pain will be a thing of the past. I wish you all the best as well. I am 66 so we are close in age. Mark
Hi Mark, I am sorry to hear that you still get sharp pains and even in the middle of the night. I usually feel tightness in my forehead or top of my head or a dull pain on the top of my head. Often this pain is created, I think, because I paint and forget to drink once I am in the zone and that among other things seems to create a headache but it only happens in the daytime. I often reflect on the fact that I did this to myself (this eyebrow lift). I do hope people, who are considering an eyebrow lift, read our stories so they can make an informed decision because the eyebrow lift is a major operation with after effects that last a long time. Thank you for your response. Your reports have overtime helped me a lot to know that my recovery is on track because the support from my specialist has been non existent. I wish you all the best and hope your sharp pains will soon disappear. Ineke
Hi Everyone, this is my 3 months update. I wish I could tell you I am so much better but that would be lying. A week ago I had to take two Ibuprofens because I had a bad headache. I still have that continued tightness in my forehead and on top of my head. Sometimes it feels better and I think, finally it is improving and then I get a few bad days again. So I have nothing exciting to tell you at the moment. I will continue to keep you informed. All the best to you all. Ineke
Hi leniesart and everyone else, Maybe I spoke too soon. This past week my head has been really acting up. Right in the eyebrow areas it is quite painful and the top of my head. I massage it but to no avail. It is worse when I lay down. Now, to be truthful, I do believe that it is just part of the healing process. As for the little dent I also have one. I think we have good days and bad days. And when you have a bad day, it wipes out any good days that you have had. At night I take a couple of Ibuprofen for pain and it helps me get sleep. The tightness is also still there. It sounds like Faith is really having a tough time. The rhinoplasty was bad enough for you. I don't think that would be comfortable at all. Given that leniesart and myself both have issues with the browlift, that is most likely where your problem lies as well. I am hoping that at the 5th month level all of use will have nothing to report. I am 18 days away from the 4th month so I'm adding the extra month. That's about it for now. Mark
Hi Mark, I have been holding off writing a new review because last week I still had so much pain from the pressure on my head that in the middle of the night I contacted a web net doctor who told me to see a neurologist. I went to my GP who sent me to do an X-ray. So far I have also forgotten to mention before that I now have a little dent on the left hand side of the top of my head. That was also checked. Thank goodness no problems showed up so next step. Blood pressure. I had quite high blood pressure while at the doctor's partly due to getting worked up over the eyebrow operation and partly due to Easter and bad eating. I improved my diet and I think that my blood pressure is ok. For me it will be 3 months at the end of April and although I am also better than I was before, I still have some pressure on top of my head and my forehead most days feels very tight. I still have the two stripes at the end of my eye socket/top of my cheeks. Clearly visible. They are very slow to disappear. The operation was absolutely not worth all that trouble. Just like you I don't think we will be back to normal after 3 months but I am pleased to hear you are feeling lots better. I am putting in all this effort of writing this in the hope that other people think very carefully before having this operation. I was told by the specialist's wife (also nurse and office manager) not to look at the Internet before I had the op. I would not have taken any notice of that but unfortunately I was very busy before the operation so did not have much time to research it. I wish you all the best and hope you will keep me informed about your progress. Ineke
Since my surgeries, I get a lot of headaches. I probably have a headache about 50% of the time. I assumed that since the breathing through my nose had been destroyed from the rhinoplasty, this was the cause of my headaches. However, the other day I saw an ENT surgeon because of my inability to breath, and he isn't so sure that my headaches are caused from the rhinoplasty and mentioned that headaches from browlifts are more common. One of the doctors referred me to a neurologist but after booking the appointment, I asked how much the cost would be and it was $831 for the appt! I just can't do that right now so I canceled the appt. The nose spray alone is costing $140 a bottle. So, the answer to your question Mark is that I'm still, 17 months later, experiencing bad side effects. I do hope you feel better soon Mark! Thanks for the update!
leniesart and Faith2012, I would like to know how each of you are doing since last month. I continue to have a sensitive head but things are starting to get better. My forehead continues to feel strange and does hurt a little but not near as much as before. So, I had my surgery on Jan 18th and today is Apr 18th. That makes it 3 months since surgery. I will bet it will probably take another 3 months to feel normal. We'll see. I will keep you posted. I do hope both of you are feeling a bit better by now. Mark