Count down is on!! Australia, AU

I have been looking through real self for months...

I have been looking through real self for months now and everyone's reviews have been so helpful! So I thought I would start my own review to document my journey :)
It all starts when on the day I was born all those years ago ... My cord wrapped around my face and my nose basically needed to be propped back into position when I came out as it had moved so significantly. I have always disliked my nose and It is only now that I have the funds to seriously start looking into rhinoplasty to fix my nose both cosmetically and also to improve the functionality.

Basically the things I would like to change are:
- shave the bump off top (not sure yet if I want a bit of a slope or completely straight nose)
- straighten my nose (completely crooked so I can't breathe out of one nostril)
- droopy tip (if the tip is fixed then I think my nostrils might be too long and in view so may need nostril work too)

What I am really wanting is a refined nose that enhances my other features and improves my breathing.
Good luck with the consultations and finding the right doctor. I agree that everyone's reviews are so helpful - we are finally joining the beautiful nose club!
Thank you for starting your story on RealSelf! Have you started consulting with doctors yet? Here's a list of questions to ask if you are still on that phase of your journey.

It's interesting that you can trace your deviated septum right back to birth. I don't hear that story often, but I know it does happen. I'm glad you're in a position to correct it and feel more confident about your nose.

Please keep us updated!
Thanks Angie! Yes I have a consultation with an ENT surgeon later this month, will let everyone know how it goes :)

Refined and feminine looking noses

Here are a couple of noses that I like ... Whether they are achievable or not ... That's another story!
Thank you it's super exciting!

Consultation with Dr Imani

I've had my first consultation with Dr Imani.
We went through what I didn't like about my nose and I was quoted for a septal reconstruction + turbinoplasty + rhinoplasty.
Basically the doctor will shave down the bump on my nose, deproject the nose, improve the functionality and work on the tip. He said the surgery will not be as straightforward as most and I will be under for around 3.5 hours.

We spent some time looking at before and after pictures of previous clients that had similar looking noses and I have to admit their noses came out looking very natural. They still looked like their own noses just .. better!!

Dr Imani did mention he would like to build my bridge up to make it wider using my own cartilage which kind of scared me as I have read so many horror stories of being able to see the cartilage protruding through peoples skin afterwards. And to be honest the width of my bridge I have never thought about so it sucks hearing that something needs to be worked on when you didn't have a problem with it in the first place. I guess I should trust him that it will improve the overall look of the rest of his work if done though.

My biggest fear is coming out looking piggish with an upturned nose and my nostrils showing .. but he assured me he would not let this happen. I guess living my whole life with a droopy tip, to have anything else completely freaks me out now!

I walked out of the consult feeling like the surgeon knows his stuff, he is apparently the best in Perth and he is also an ENT meaning that I don't need two surgeons working on me at once. However I am just not sure that by booking my surgery in now that we are on the exact same page with the type of look I am after (don't think I get to see him before surgery again). Perhaps I can book in another appointment before surgery to speak with him again. I am thinking that most people freak out this way before booking, arghhhh help?!
Hey! I have also recently had a consultation with Dr Imani, I'm seeing a couple of other ENT surgeons so I feel more comfortable about making a decision. I also suffer from the same problems including breathing so I'll be following your story and crossing my fingers for you!!
Thanks Rocket! Can I ask who else you will be seeing? I found it hard to find other ENT surgeons with reviews on the net which was annoying!
I went to my Doctor to get referrals as I found the same thing - no reviews onlineā€¦even the ones I've been referred to! I have booked in with Dr Jayson Oates for my next consultationā€¦but have also been given letters for a few more ENT surgeons - Dr Miller, Dr Kailas (sorry if they are spelt wrong, I don't have the letter currently with me as I'm typing!)

Swelling and bruising prep

So with all the work I'm having done I'm thinking that I am going to bruise like crazy! I have seen a lot of people mention arnica tablets or cream on realself lately. Has anyone had any experience with these and is the cream or tablets better to use?
Hi have you had your second consult with Dr imani ?
Hi Lana, I have scheduled my second consult in for a week before surgery itself so it's about a month away now. I am so excited but nervous trusting another person to know exactly what I want is so hard!!
Hi, For bruising you cannot use the cream everywhere for this first week as you will have your cast on so during this time I was advised to take the arnica tablets and Bromelain (pineapple extract) and then when the cast comes off you can apply the arnica cream. Each surgeon probably differs slightly in what they feel is best so maybe phone up and ask if he can recommend what you should do. Best of luck with your operation and recovery!

33 days!

Surgery is just over a month away and I am so excited! I have scheduled my second appointment with my surgeon for a week before surgery.

I have been looking on the internet for more photos of noses that I like as I would like to show at least one to my surgeon the week before surgery. I am struggling to find a pic that captures what I am really after as obviously my nose is unique and who knows what will look good on my face!!!

I like the pic attached but could be a little too upturned compared to what I am used to ... I don't want a scooped out nose either, more a straight profile I think would suit.

Thoughts?
Hi Louise ! I'm so glad i found your story :) I have a rhino booked with Dr Shahidi in Sydney for the 12th of November, so you & i are very close in date ! So excited to see your journey unfold & wish you nothing but the best of luck xx
Thanks Jellyboo I am really excited but the nerves are starting to kick in as well! Have you started your list for post op things u need? I have only bought arnica tablets so far ... Unsure as to what else I will need!
I am so excited for you! The straight vs slope is a huge decision. Ask your surgeon what he recommends. Mine went for a subtle/natural "suggestion of a slope."

14 sleeps to go!

Has anyone got any advice for sleeping without a recliner? I'm thinking my best option is to sleep in my bed with three or four pillows?

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to buy prior to surgery? So far I have bought arnica tablets and will stock up on ingredients to make smoothies ... Any suggestions would be great!
Excited for you and looking forward to reading more of your journey. Thanks for being amazing support!
Yes definitely lots of firm pillows so you're propped up pretty good, and put your computer & charger and phone charger by the bed all ready to go before your surgery, and have a bunch of bottled waters too (anything you can have ready by the bed so you don't have to get up and down a bunch) - usually you're ok to walk around right after, but you never know how you're gonna feel :)
Hi Louise ! Are you getting excited yet :) I'm excited for you ! Some things i would suggest are: - lip balm, like paw paw ointment - arnica gel to use along with the tablets - laxatives (sounds gross but apparently pain medication / antibiotics can require this ) - lots of different types of drinks, like juice, flavoured water etc - humidifier ? Check out this list & the comments for more suggestions xx http://www.realself.com/forum/10-supplies-before-your-rhinoplasty
Dr Imani