Fabulous At 50 - Australia

I have struggled with my weight all my life. As...

I have struggled with my weight all my life. As Iam getting older I realise if I have not been able to lose the weight and keep it off in the last 30 years the chances of me suddenly being able to achieve this without surgery is zero!

My daughter had a lap band 6 years ago and has maintained her loss of over 40kgs for that whole time, it changed her life, she is extremely active now and as she tells me she would probably have put on another 20kgs if she hadn't had the surgery.

I suffer from high blood pressure and hope by losing the weight this will improve. I stuggle every day with what to wear, I just want to look nice and the fashion I like is unwearable at my size. I feel I cannot be the person I want to be. I am at an age where employment is a bit more of a challenge if you add obese to this as well, that makes it even harder.

I am both nervous and excited, I bumped into an old neighbor the other day, she had lost lots of weight and told me she had a sleeve operation 12mths ago and had never regretted it for a day. Whilst the thought of having surgery is a little terrifying, the thought of being obese and having the restricted life and poor health that goes with this is far more terrifying.

I am currently on optifast only day 2 so not finding it difficult yet. I am planning ahead getting things ready for when I get out of hospital.

Dr. Geoffrey Draper

Internet and a friend referred him.