Fabulous At 50 - Australia

I have struggled with my weight all my life. As...

I have struggled with my weight all my life. As Iam getting older I realise if I have not been able to lose the weight and keep it off in the last 30 years the chances of me suddenly being able to achieve this without surgery is zero!

My daughter had a lap band 6 years ago and has maintained her loss of over 40kgs for that whole time, it changed her life, she is extremely active now and as she tells me she would probably have put on another 20kgs if she hadn't had the surgery.

I suffer from high blood pressure and hope by losing the weight this will improve. I stuggle every day with what to wear, I just want to look nice and the fashion I like is unwearable at my size. I feel I cannot be the person I want to be. I am at an age where employment is a bit more of a challenge if you add obese to this as well, that makes it even harder.

I am both nervous and excited, I bumped into an old neighbor the other day, she had lost lots of weight and told me she had a sleeve operation 12mths ago and had never regretted it for a day. Whilst the thought of having surgery is a little terrifying, the thought of being obese and having the restricted life and poor health that goes with this is far more terrifying.

I am currently on optifast only day 2 so not finding it difficult yet. I am planning ahead getting things ready for when I get out of hospital.

Dr. Geoffrey Draper

Internet and a friend referred him.

Hi there so how are you doing now? I go in for my operation in 13 sleeps and am surfing the net researching and getting as much educcation on what to expect. You lost 10kgs in a month!!! how much have you lost now? I'm nervous mostly about the pain after the operation you mentioned it wasnt as bad.... how bad is bad...? how long were you on painkillers for after the operation. I live in Perth Western Australia. Cheers
Hi I had my gastric sleeve operation two weeks ago today, it was a walk in the park! I was diligent with my Optifast diet and didn't suffer any pain at all post op. There was A little discomfort with wind but that was it. I have walked everyday since discharge and intending to commence my hourly daily walk again tomorrow. Whilst it is normal to be a little anxious there isn't anything to be concerned about. I can't believe how well I feel, amazing! I have lost 10 kgs in total in one month. Wendy

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Your big day is only a few days away, are you all prepared? It's completely normal to be nervous, who wouldn't be? You just have to remember that the end result will hopefully be a healthier, longer and more satisfying life for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your starting weight?