Invisalign, from Being Super Happy, to Super Not-so-happy - Melbourne AU

I started invisalign because I had/have crowding...

I started invisalign because I had/have crowding of both my upper and lower teeth.
It's always bothered me, to the point where I just wouldn't smile, or I would do that weird half smile, lips together thing. You know the one that makes you look like you ate a sour grape?

When I was serious enough to go have a consult I was 27, and I thought, enough is enough, this really holding me back. I'm to embarressed to talk to new people, to talk to other professionals and in general was really ashamed of how gross I thought my smile was.

After saving the money I made an appointment, and I notice from other peoples reviews that it is quite a bit more expensive to undertake this treatment in Australia than in the US. Bummer.

I have to say I was pretty impressed with the service, and everything went fine for while.

I was a bit taken aback when they shaved between my teeth, and when the buttons went on. But I thought 'one year, that's all this is going to take'! I could handle that.

After 20 trays I was really happy with my progress. So happy that I didn't care about covering my smile. For the first time ever I was totally ok with having only one slightly crooked K-9.

Just peachy.

I had 29 trays altogether, so just over a years worth. I was told that I may have to get refinements. Ok, fine that sounds normal.

But than I put in tray 20.

It didn't fit properly. It was slipping off my K-9 and my very front tooth.
I made an 'emergency' appointment at the ortho so they could see it.
They said not to worry, totally normal and when I put the next tray in it would correct this. I had a normal appointment to pick up the next set of 4 trays the in the coming weeks so I wasn't too worried.

But then the next tray didn't fit either, and when I had my normal appointment to pick up the following 4 trays, they assured me again, totally normal.

So when I put in the next set of trays and it didn't fit, I was starting to get a bit more concerned, but I thought 'cool, perhaps it will settle in the coming days.'

It didn't.

And the following three trays didn't fit either. In fact, they didn't fit so well, that during this three or so months of ill-fitting trays, my K-9 tooth ended up twisting the whole way back to it's original position (see photos). I was/am pretty upset.

I must add, that because I was wearing trays that were popping off my teeth, I had this horribly embarressing thing where every time I spoke spit would build up in the gap and I would blow bubbles while talking... mortified.

I called the ortho again and expressed my concerns. I was told 'don't worry, keep using the chewies'. When I pushed it, and said I really want to come in, they again said, 'don't worry, keep using the chewies, your next appointment we are going to scan you again and have a whole new set made up.'

I went and my teeth re-scanned and had to wait another month for the trays to arrive. So this is 4 months of no treatment and pretty big re-lapse for the front tooth.

Now over 14 months on from my initial treatment I have just been told I have another 41 trays. So that's a total of 70 trays, which is 140 weeks, which is a total of 2.69 years. And this could end up being more if I need further refinements.

Now this review is already pretty long, so I'll end it hear for now. But I will update it further once I know if this is final.

I have attached some photos which show how it got quite good, but then bad again.

I also just want to add, that I don't think my teeth were as bad as I make them out to be. But as you all know, this is more of an emotional thing, it's how you see yourself, and how you want others to see you. I started Invisalign not so I could be beautiful, because I'm not, and I'm ok with that. I did it because I want people to focus on what I say, what I do and what I'm trying to achieve rather than that being that 'girl with with crooked smile'.

Photos:
1 _ No Treatment
2_ 2nd set
3 _ 6th set
4 _ 17th set
5 _ 24th set
6 _ 27th set
7 _ how they are now, with new buttons... on my front teeth!

If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd really like to know how you handled it.
Dr. Geoff

OMG! Your review scared me...hope everything is being sorted out for you :)
Did you ever have the meeting?  Very interested to hear how it went….
That is so incredibly frustrating! Have you considered talking to a lawyer? This seems like malpractice.
BTW, we have some other Invisaligners from Melbourne, but brosegr (this is a link to her review) is a relatively new start so she'll be here a while.  She is using Acceledent, however, to speed up her treatment.

Also, here are a few people who were not so pleased with their Invisalign experience and have dealt with it in various ways:

BatonRougeCutie
lw47777
Guapojulio
notasexpected
Wow--I have never before seen such a clear illustration of reversion before.  That is heart-breaking.  And your teeth looked really smashing by set 24.

I wonder whether you have seen another doctor for a second opinion?  Shown pictures and all, you know?  It seems just…so incredible, the complete turn-around, and that it wasn't stopped.  You would have been better off staying in tray 24, you know?  Bizarre.

Well, I am so sad for you, but I hope…well, I hope things go well.  I'll be following your review, so please do update when you know more.
Hey thanks so much for the links to the other reviews. I have a meeting with the owner in a couple of days to express my concerns. I also want to tell them that I'm concerned that I wasn't consulted or given a plan. I wasn't told until after my new attachments were on that there would be so many trays. My dentist does Invisalign as well so I may ask to see him to see what he says. But I think there is little I can do, I have already paid in full :(
Good luck with your meeting...