Worst Decision I Have Ever Made for my Skin -Australia, AU

I had Emerge Fractional laser done about 6 months...

I had Emerge Fractional laser done about 6 months ago now to assist with Melasma (hormonal and sun damage). I had 2 sessions spaced 2 weeks part as recommended by the beautician doing the treatment.
I was very hesitant initially about any long term side effects that could permanently damage/scar my skin but was reassured that there is no way that this machine could do any damage and that it was extremely safe.
After the first treatment I was really happy with the outcome and thought the melasma had cleared slightly and my skin felt and looked smoother (I assume the swelling contributed to this). 2 weeks later I had my second treatment, again my skin felt much the same as after the first treatment until the swelling came down and I started to notice the tiny holes all over my face (everywhere the laser had tracked).
I started to panic slightly at this stage and spoke to the ladies and skin deep Mullaloo (perth) and asked what they thought about the orange peel texture that came up and they said to just wait and in 3 months as my skin is still healing and this should clear. After 2 months passed and things did not get any better I contacted skin deep again and the owner agreed to meet with me in regards to my worries. The only thing that came out of this meeting is that I am focusing on something that is not there and the laser has improved my skin. She said that my face is also still healing and to wait another 2 months and things should look better.
Once 4 months had passed and I was looking worse than ever and decided to email her pictures of damage the laser had caused due to her not looking at my skin during our meeting (even after 2 requests for her to do so, she would only look at my skin through the camera they use to do the before an after photos which did not show the orange peel texture I needed wanting clarification on).
As you can see from these pictures there is a clear orange peel texture there that I can assure you was not there before. Her response o this email was that I had enlarge pores and what did I need her to do about it. This made me furious that they blatantly refused to acknowledge any damage that the laser caused and that they are still using this treatment on other customers without advising of any long term effects such as mine and many other peoples outcomes from realself.
I beg anyone considering this treatment to find an alternative as there are many.
I have really great skin prior to this treatment (melasma being my only worry), now I am stuck with this pin hole, rough textured skin.
I am very self conscious and do not like being it any sunlight as it shows my skin at its worst ( I stay inside most of the time)
I used to be very athletic an love being out and abut, now I am too shy to and unmotivated to do many of the thing I used to love in life. I don't even let my partner look at me up close and fear being affectionate as I feel ugly.
I hope this post stops someone going through this Pure money making treatment for the salons as it has put a halt on many peoples lives from the stories I have read. I hope that anyone that has been damaged by this laser finds a solution to the damaged caused.
Skin Deep Mullaloo

Very unhelpful and dismissive of my issues

I am having a good experience with emerge fractional, I did my second session at first day my skin is swollen and the next 4 days my skin is with a lot of points. At fifth day my skin back to normal. The interval between session is one month. The problem could be from whom had evaluated your skin, because there a different protocol for which type of skin, number of points per fraction and intensity, they must be determined from dermatologist or plastic surgeon. For my skin the doctor recommended 5 sessions, once a month and the intensity can't be strong. And the doctor prescribe vitamin C for day and pigmentclar by nigth, pycnogenol to take oral.
If you have experienced hyperpigmentation (production of melanin or pigmentation you may need to see a GP for a prescribed 4% hydroquinone or. Kojic Acid to lighten your pigment followed by a 50 plus SPF.
To improve our results purchase a dermal roller and use 3 times a week over your product- this will infuse into the skin 100x further with amazing results for pigment, scarring and stretchmarks you may need to combine these with a clinical rolling treatment 4-6 weeks apart- but remember ladies the more you prep the better the outcome :-)
As scary as treatments can sound, with the right training, strict protocols ,qualifications and licensing in place you're less likely to experience an adverse reaction. Yes there are dodgy people out there but there are also highly trained passionate dermal technicians who will achieve amazing results for a lot of skins! It's horrible you had a bad experience and wish for your skin to get better ASAP If you have experienced some needling holes in your skin or the pigment hasn't gotten better it is most likely hormonal meaning you would need a level 5 peel either a Melasma or Jessner peel if there is pitted scarring it may be caused from the skin plumping out or the skin was ablated a little too deep at the time and may need some 100% TCA peel to be spot treated with a tooth pick only. Depending how recent your treatment was you may need LED therapy to heal your skin up to 50 times faster maybe its something more straight foward like rosehip oil.. There are a few options to help the condition or results the patient experienced . Your heritage makes a big difference to your results as well I haven't seen or treated your skin so it's hard to tell exactly what you need, but it is strongly advisable to go back to the clinic you were originally treated ,It is also very important to prep the skin 2-4 weeks prior to a medical grade treatment depending on what treatment you're having to ensure your epidermal layers are regenerated and hydrated properly and renewed quicker then a standard product. We don't sell the products just for the sale it's a very important part of your results and outcome so it's crucial to follow the dermal techs instructions for a quality treatment. But don't go and ask for this treatment straight away, It is just a kind suggestion but will need to be looked into further by your technician. All the best from Australia. :-)
thank you for your advice.
I will definitely not be going back to where I was treated as they never recommended prepping skin and didn't acknowledge any damage post laser. I am thinking of doing further laser to rectify the damage...possibly...if I am game enough
Melissa can you post a picture of your skin? I am seven months post. I am not sure if only one laser was use on me. I know I had lime light with a curtea as part of laser genisis. I am not sure if other laser were used. Going to see a cosmetic Dermologist Today. Seriously considering a chemical peel. Orange peel skin all over my face.
Melissa can you post picture of you skin after tca?
I have pin holes and what I call comb marks on entire right side of m y face where I had a chicken poc scar.
HI Grace, sorry I have not written back to you sooner. Unfortunately my scars have not become any better. I did have a 30 percent TCA peel done nearly 2 months ago which helped mildly with the texture and did a lot for my pigmention. I am now using Vitimin A and C and just hoping it gets better, im staying positive though as it does get better for some people. Good luck
Please write me with anything that helps.***removed email*** I had laser on my entire face on 12-13-13. I have two year daughter counting on me. I need to function again. I am crying everyday. I have a dermatologist who gave me some retina A and other skin media products. He is suggesting chemical peels.
Please write me with anything that helps.***removed email address*** I had laser on my entire face on 12-13-13. I have two year daughter counting on me. I need to function again. crying everyday. I have to dermatologist who gave me some retina A and other skin media products. He is suggesting chemical peels.
Hi Melissa, I have also been damaged by a laser. I had a Smartxide Dot treatment almost 3 months ago, and it seems I have exactly the same texture as yours on my skin. I noticed at two weeks that I was not healing well, with visible micro holes and worse texture on the treated areas and red splotchy skin. I have done one dermapen treatment at 2 months post laser, which did make my acne scars less deep, but it did nothing for the orange peel texture. Now it seems my acne scars are the least of my worries. I've read all the stories on the RS on laser damage, and it seems the only people who had some succes, were the ones who only had done a single, non-ablative laser treatment. Mine was ablative, and I only read horror stories from those, very disturbing. I will keep on trying needling at home with a 1.5mm dermastamp, and I will start some TCA peels after all the redness is gone.
Just an update 8 month post treatment that my skin is tsill on the same condition with the micro holes all over. I have tried Honey and the emu oil only for the last 2 months with no success, I will try a few TCA peels at 15% in June and see how that goes. I hope everyone else is doing ok !
Thanks for the update. I really hope you find something that works--I have done TCA peels for my melasma, for which I didn't do strong enough (I think I did 8%) or consistent enough to clear my melasma, but it can really help smooth out skin texture. By the way, a story I wanted to post/share. A couple of days ago I called a clinic that does laser scar removal (I have some small scars I was interested in having removed). Anyway, the woman who answered the phone was really nice and I asked her a bunch of questions and if a doctor would be doing the procedures. She said no, that it would either be her or another woman who worked there. I said wow you sound really young. She said "Yeah, I sound really young, and I look really young, but I'm actually 26". 26 years old. She told me of no medical training she had. Working with lasers on people's faces and bodies. Clearly she would have no idea of what to do if something went wrong. Very troubling. I obviously am not going to that place, and remain skeptical about lasers based on all of the terrible experiences people have posted here. Take good care, wishing you success with the TCA peels.
Thanks for your message. I agree, i work in the insurance business and some guy called in one day and said i am about to buy a laser and need insurance. I asked what his qualifications were and he said he didnt have any and that the distributer/rep of the product provides training upon purchase. I basically told him no chance and cant beleive that someone can get away with no qualifications and use a laser like that. Crazy
Wow that's crazy. I can't believe he had no training. That's just ridiculous.
Wow, just nuts. Hopefully the people who go to him will ask a lot of questions and realize that it would be unwise to use his services. Sometimes you just want it so bad you take the risk. I even considered going to the place with the young woman, and then snapped out of that foolish thinking! Take care. :-)
yeah i have the same thing from fraxel :(
I am so sorry this happened to you. I also have melasma and have considered getting laser treatments in hopes that it would go away. I have never done it because my instinct tells me it will make my skin worse. Like you my skin texture is good--melasma spotting being the only problem. Thank you for your post.
I wish I went with my instinct too :-) im glad that you decided against it. There are alot of creams available and chemical peels that will help and no way near as risky as laser. Melasma is definitely preferable to me than having texture issues, now I have both.
I am so so glad she could help you out with a plan. Good luck with it and denifately keep me updated on how it goes. Microneedling does sound promising. did ahe the needle depth
Www.ynotnatural.com is the website for the emu oil if you still want to try that but im sure marianne has producys she recomments. Are you ising obagi
She has said to go on Obadia later in the year it sounds very good at the moment I'm using their DNA renewal cream for the damage and a serum plus a hydrating cleanser. She did Microdermabrasion on my chin area today free of charge it was great seemed so much smoother after, she did a full cleansing facial, put vitamin c serum on and a moisturiser and applied a foundation after which was lovely my skin looked great I was amazed and just felt like me again. It's going to need a few needling treatments I think and then I will have microdermabrasion every so often. I'll let you know how I get on. How you finding the honey. I've found a supplier in Woodvale for that also,she rang me tonight. I'm still going to try that as well. X
Thats such great news. Stay possitive because things are only going to get better, slowly but they will. My face feels hydrated and smooth. Just using honey and the oil but obviously i have a while wait until i see any progress. Im really interested to see how. the needling goes.