CoolSculpting in Adelaide, Australia - Australia, AU

This is a relatively new treatment in Adelaide. I...

This is a relatively new treatment in Adelaide. I am 49 years 5' 9" and weigh 65.5 kilos. I have always been relatively thin but recently noticed a tummy pooch that did not improve no matter how many tummy cruches I did. A well known clinic in Adelaide got this machine 12 months ago so I decided to give it a try. They charge pretty hefty at $1000 per site. The doctor advised that I would need 2 x 1 hour sessions on my tummy (2hrs all up). Interestingly she also advised that they would use the small unit side ways on my tummy, this she said was due to the way my tummy bulge was positioned, she said you could grab more sideways than straight across.She said she had it done on her upper abdomen and it was now completely flat, she also said she started to notice results beginning at 1 month with best result at 4months. I asked her about pain, and she said there would be none, no side effects!!!

Anyway, on the day they weighed, measured and took pictures. Then applied the very cold gel pad and sucked me up in that machine. It shocked me at first, then went numb, I noticed that during the last 5 minutes or so there were like little bursts of twinges, this happened on both sides. When they removed the machine I had the stick of butter as others had described (only mine ran sideways down my abdomen), she gently massaged this down. I was very red and had bruising in 2 areas like a mirror image of each other on both sides of my belly button. I was very numb but no real pain, I was wearing jeans and this did not bother me. She did not tell me to do any massage and gave no after care instructions, just made an appointment to see me in 3 months.

The next day I was very sore and numb. But bearable. During the next few days the pain increased, it kind of felt like a burning abrasion and sometimes it would tingle with knife like pains. I am not one to take pain killers so just put up with it. I had trouble sitting in certain positions and sometimes the pain would just grab me. About day 6 I had a bad night sleeping but since then it has gradually improved.

I noticed my tummy appeared to be swollen and my weight has jumped up by about 1 kilo. I am now at day 13 and still a fair bit numb and now only occasionally do I notice little needle like stinging, but the abrasion feeling is still there. Now comes the wait to see the results hopefully. I do feel that the clinic neglected to truly explain the after effects, I don't believe I'd be the only one to experience this sort of pain. Thankfully I have a strong tolerance to pain and soldier on as I don't have time to deal with it as I own a demanding restaurant and need to be on my feet for long hours! Will let you know if I notice anything soon .......

Epiclinic

They have not bothered to follow up on outcome of procedure, as promised. My guess is they have had a low satisfaction rate. Too much money for no results :(

Hi Adelaide, it sounds like you have had a tough time post procedure! I think if you are continuing to experience that much pain that you need to take painkillers you should see a doctor. Perhaps it maybe better to speak to a doctor too just to confirm any advice that was given to you by the place you went to, so that the side effects and symptoms can be confirmed as normal by your doctor. If you are gaining waight it may just be due to swelling, however it may alsso be as a result of an infection. Unfortunatley what the experts forget to fully tell you is that this treatment is not the best thing for everyone. As dumb as it might sound, your body may not react well to these procedures, thus you need to look into the issue before deciding whether to go to your next appointment. I am not trying to put you off, or scare you, in fact it would appear to me that on how you have described yourself, you do not need this procedure drastically. Unfortunatley, with age comes weight gain, and thats ok because it seems it hasnt hit you badly. You need to consider the long term gain this is going to have for you, think about the fact that you are approaching your 50s and that daily exercise and a strict diet in order to maintain these results may not be worth all of the efforet and money you put in, considering you were experiencing severe discomfort after the procedure was performed the first time. I thought I would give you some feedback, because it seems that you were somewhat missinformed in realtion to the side effects, but are otherwise a good looking and lovely person. Whatever you decide to do from here, bedt of luck with your tummy in the future!
Hi Christyb, well good news as now post 16 days there is no pain, just mildly numb, all swelling has gone. And just to explain why I did it, although I am nearly 50 I am told I look early 30's thanks to good genes (my mother is in her 70's and looks like in her 40's) and neither of us have had plastic surgery). Hence I was assessed as a good subject for this as I exercise well due to weight lifting and walk a lot. I do not believe in diets just healthy lifestyle eating, ours is mostly Mediterranean, a lot of fish (as I own a fish restaurant). I do believe that the process does injure the muscles of the stomach wall which would lead to this kind of discomfort. I hope that I did not make is sound debilitating, as it was not, I was able to continue with my normal daily duties which can include 10 hours on my feet at the restaurant. And I never think of taking pain killers for pain, I am lucky to have never had a headache so have never relied on them so naturally do not reach for them when there is pain. I assume this could be a good thing as it is better to feel and know what your body is going through than to cover it up, but as I said it not interrupt my daily functions. Anyway, now I just have to wait and see .... I only intended to have the one treatment, so lets see how much I get out of it. Thank you for your comments!! :)