Finally Taking the Plunge! - Australia, AU

After more than a quarter of a century of back...

After more than a quarter of a century of back pain, leers and stares, neck pain, poor posture, hiding in black clothes and wearing uncomfortable bras, I am finally having a breast reduction.

I wanted to wait until I had finished having children and breast feeding before altering my boobs.

So, in just two more sleeps I'll be having my op. I'm really excited but a bit apprehensive about the recovery.

I was really pleased to find this online community. I've found its really hard to talk to my friends about my decision and the day to day misery and challenges of sporting huge boobs.

Lots of the stories and comments here really touched me and helped me to reach my decision to take the plunge.

Thanks to everyone who visits and posts here.

M

Some pre op pics

Boobs of burden!

Off to hospital!

Just a few minutes until we go to the hospital. Very nervous indeed ...

The other side!

Can't believe it's finally here.
Very tired but quite relaxed.
I haven't seen the results yet so no photos at the moment.

The other side

I have been listening to lots of classical music which has been very soothing. I'm not sure if anyone else has found this helpful?

Doctors visit

PS came by earlier. He took 740 grams or 1.63 pounds. He says I am doing really well but has suggested that I reduce the narcotic pain relief. I have done this but I'm a bit cautious because the anaesthetist told me to keep my pain low.
I am about to have my first shower :)

What is it about drains?

They came to take the drains out this afternoon. The left hand one just popped out. The right hand one refused to budge. PS says he will come by in the morning to remove it. So I am walking around the ward (a little) clutching a hideous drain bag. Eeeuwww ...

Right hand drain

PS came by this morning. He found a kink in the drain. He gave me two shots of anesthetic before he pulled it out. That's a lot of trouble from one little kink but I'm relieved to have it gone.
Love of my life (LOML) and toddler came to fetch me. I sat in the back with the seatbelt tucked under my arm and the toddler holding my hand.
It's so good to be home. LOML bought sushi for lunch. So much better than the hospital fare.
Thanks to everyone here for sharing your comments and stories :)

Some photos

Here are some post op pics from day 2

One week on

I have been resting a lot since my op but two days ago I decided to clean out my wardrobe. I got rid of all of my old bras plus a pile of black t-shirts plus an ugly blue T-shirt that I bought because it was big and hid my boobs.

One of the mums from my kids' school told me that i looked like a twenty year old from a distance. Needless to say, I was over the moon.

I still find myself hunching over my chest in an effort to hide my huge boobs. I have to keep reminding myself to stand tall, that I have had a BR and it has worked. The pain in the left side of my neck is no longer a constant companion and the low grade headaches seem to have gone. The painful spasms on the left side of my back have also abated. I am only taking Tylenol/Panafon before bed so it isn't the painkillers :)

I went to see PS today. He told me that righty is more swollen than lefty but that both should go down over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for being here. The support is wonderful.

Some photos

Here are some photos I took yesterday. Righty is swollen. Hopefully this is the reason that the nipple is sitting higher and that this will resolve in time.

The two week mark

I am so happy to be at the two week point - I always like landmarks!

My wounds seem to be healing well and I am trying to limit how much I eat because I can't exercise much - walking only at the moment. I seem to be able to do quite a lot but then, at the end of the day, I am completely exhausted.

I spoke to PS about one nipple being higher than he other. He assured me that this is due to swelling and that it should resolve within a couple of months. I have noticed that the swelling is worse in the evening and that's when my right nipple is at its highest. Has anyone else noticed the swelling changing through the day?

Today is my last day at home. I have to go back to work on Monday. I am going to a conference, including a dinner. I'm worried that I will be sore and exhausted.

I have watched two excellent tv shows to aid my recovery. One is Australian, set in Melbourne. It is called Offspring. The other one is Suits, set in New York. I am planning to take my new body shopping in Melbourne and in New York just as soon as I can :)

Photos later ...

Body language + an experiment

I have been watching a lot of TED talks both before my surgery and during my recovery. One that really resonated for me was the one on body language by Amy Cuddy. Studies have found that people with domineering body language raise their testosterone levels and thereby boost their confidence. She suggests to the audience that they adopt a 'power pose'. She gets them to put their hands on their hips and push their chests out.
When I first watched the talk - pre-surgery - I tried her 'power pose'. It felt very uncomfortable. I felt like I was shoving a pair of ginormous sexual organs out into clear view. Like so many of you who have posted here, for me, a hunched, slouched posture was how I obscured my 'assets' and defended my body from unwanted gawking and, even worse, touching.
Constant slouching was hurting my back, my neck and, of course my own self esteem. It was probably also effecting the way others see me. Now that I've had my surgery, I won't be flinging two gargantuan boulders at the world every time I strike a power pose.
So, for the next week, I will follow Amy's advice and test the 'power pose'.
I'll let you know how my experiment goes!

Back at work

Well, I have been back at work for a week and a half now. I found the first week exhausting. This week is better.
I have remembered to power pose a few times but I'm not sure ...
I have tried to stop slouching too but I have to try to be mindful catch myself doing it.
A few of my colleagues have commented on my weight loss but no one really makes the BR connection or, if they do, they don't say it!

Righty is still quite swollen at nearly four weeks!