Unhappy with Result of Blepharoplasty and Mid Facelift for Eye Bags - Australia

Treatment was a mid face lift/blepharoplasty...

Treatment was a mid face lift/blepharoplasty performed via transcutaneous incisions. Obicularis sewn to periostium. This was unsuccessful as my lower eyelid became retracted almost immediately. I developed considerable lower scleral show and accompanying foreign body sensation and tearing.

My eye shape was totally altered. Outer lower half was sloping downwards. I had a canthopexy and tarsal strip procedure 2 months ago to attempt to correct this. My left lower lid just now comes up to the iris and my right lower lid is still sloping downwards. This was observable 2 wks after surgery.

My surgeon (cosmetic/craniofacial surgeon) says that this is because the muscle on the outer side of this eye is not working yet. I am dubious about this because I had this problem with my right eye before since my original surgery. I could never get it to lift as high as the left, even when I smiled. My eyes look quite asymmetrical now.

I was aware that the canthopexy may not work because we are dealing with soft tissue and gravity first surgery and the lower lid sat about 2mm over the iris. I always had some bags under my eyes even as a child they were puffy. However I would never do it again. Or at least never with the original surgeon.

He ruined the shape of my eyes and caused huge amounts of discomfort. None of which I was warned about. I think tampering with the obicularis has altered the support structure of my eyes and just using one stitch to hold it up was not a good procedure for me.There was not too much skin taken but my cheeks just weren't held in place by the one stitch.

. What do you think would be the best way to go now? Should I have the canthopexy redone? Or will that just be more of the same? Is there a more permanant fixture? Would a hard palate graft be the way to getting more height in my lower eyelids? What about from behind the ear? Is there a problem with either of these grafts?

Since the above I have had subsequent surgery, a...

Since the above I have had subsequent surgery, a canthopexy and a tarsal strip created. This has only been partially sucessful  At first it looked great and now two months+ later it is not so good.  My left lower eyelid just barely touches my iris. It looks passable though but my lateral canthus does not have the acute angle it had before any surgery.  My right eye is still a mess.  The outer half of the lower lid slopes downwards, continueing to give my eye a round look.  There must be some muscle ptosis as even when I smile the right lower eyelid does not come up as high as the left.  This was damage from the previous surgery.  Also despite my surgeons promise that my eyes would not be smaller than before the canthopexy.  They are.  I have measured the fissure and it is definetely smaller. 2mm to be exact.  So I am left with assymetrical eyes.  I have given up wanting them to look as they did before any surgery, I just want them to look normal.  What does anyone out there suggest?

I am thinking a hard palate graft maybe in the lateral lower lid to bring the corners up a bit more?  My surgeon did tell me at the conclusion of this surgery that I would not need a graft and that if he had to redo he would redo canthopexy again. Would this work? Or is this just a dog chasing its tail situation?  I have a feeling he did canthoplasty not pexy, As he told me he plicated canthus and moved it 4mm.  I do not want to end up with tiny little eyes.  What do you all think?  I am due to return to my surgeon on 17th of this month and would like to have a plan in place. I am a nurse so have access to any literature you could advise me to read in advance.  I only wish this had been the case before my initial botch up 3 years ago.

I have had many procedures such as hard palate...

I have had many procedures such as hard palate spacer graft bilaterly. This has successfully brought up my lower lids, but I have assymetry( one eye wider and longer than the other) and lower eyelid hollowing. I am actively seeking assistance with this. Anyone seeking eyelid surgery in Australia please contact me and I will warn you against my first surgeon.

he did not adequately explain either the procedure or the risks involved. He brushed any concerns aside and actively discouraged me from reading on the internet. When faced with my complications he denied anything was wrong, was unprofessional and rude stating "you are only unhappy because your friends are not telling you that you look good"

Hi I would love to know who your doctor was since I am in Australia and considering lower bleph.

If you are still posting here you can contact me via this message board. Thanks :)
Hi
The doc that fixed my disaster was Alan McNabb in Melbourne. I am not sure if he does primary blephs, but you could always call and see. If you want any more details of who NOT to go to contact me privately.
Hi ernuse please show pictures of before n after so we can see how good is your surgeon to correct bad surgeries. Please!!!!
Can you tell me who your doc was? I've been searching for two years for revision myself. Can you contact me via email? Or through this message board? Or let me know your email or phone number. I'd be happy to talk with you. I had a hard palate and it really did not help
I am so grateful that all of you are sharing these stories. I had a lower bleph, which was totally unnecessary. Like someone else, I went into the operating room thinking, "I'm not sure this is a good idea," and I regret it so much. Everyone tells me (when I say anything about my eyes looking bad) that they don't know what I'm talking about, which is some comfort, but it's hard to believe them. I am so grateful for all of you sharing - but what can we do to help stop these sociopaths from continuing to harm people? The system (at least here in the US) is totally stacked in their favor. My doctor is considered a great surgeon and now he even has a tv show! I am considering hard palate grafting to bring the lower lids up.
I researched the surgeon who did my blepharoplasty for a long time. He is board certified for many years. He was listed as a top doctor in castle connely's top doctors for about ten years straight...it doesn't matter. Blepharoplasty, which involves removing the fat around the eyes, does NOT make eyes look rejuvenated, I don't care if God did the surgery...by removing the fat pads around the eyes which provides structure and fullness to the eye, they are actually aging the eye and creating a gauntness which only gets worse with each passing year. I had a beautiful face with almond shaped eyes that are now gone forever. I look weird now because my eyes now look like two hollow holes with an eyeball deep in the orbit. It's devastating. I regret it so, but I don't blame myself because if I had been given the honest truth about the ramifications of this surgery, I never would have done it. Doctors take an oath to "first do no harm" but apparently this oath doesn't mean too much.
I had upper and lower blep 15 years ago, even though my eyes were not perfect, incision on right eye opened and left a noticeable scar, also scars on the outside of eyes, however, things seemed to even out okay. 15 years later, overnight my eyes seemed to change. The left eye is smaller than the right and the left lid is lower. Now I have asymmetry, dry eyes, and tightening especially at night. It was such a shock to go from "normal" eyes to abnormal eyes seemingly overnight. I have looked at my eyes and can see that the surgeon took out more skin on the left. I have been researching and apparently he did a canthopexy which as one ages causes problems (my left eye). I am devastated that this could happen after all of this time, and now I am having to see an occuloplastic surgeon next week to see if he can fix the asymmetry. I so regret doing this surgery, wish I could turn back the clock.
Same happened to me 25 years ago and I still despise the ahole dr. who did it to me. My eyes were nice and almond-shaped but had loose skin on top. I Remembered my grandmother's upper lid skin hanging down over her eyes and I didn't want that. But this ahole took out all the skin and all the fat, and clamped down the corners of my eyes which made them very small and pig-like. I fantasized about murdering him for years. Fortunately a lot of good friends assured me I didn't look all that different, which allowed me to believe it wasn't a deformity, just a change. But like I said I still hate that man's guts and always will.
Lol ,I feel the same way towards Eugene Cherny just like you towards the P.S. Who did your surgery, every x I look my eyes I think about that lousy "surgeon"
I totally agree. I went through the same thing. I am not sure where you are from...but take whatever legal action you can...Find your Health Care Complaints Commissio...or Ombudsman...every country has one...and complain.It is free. It is here in Australia. Have all your facts in writing, dates conversations etc. The only way we will get these cowboys stopped is by taking legal action. YOur main point to make is that HE DID NOT WARN YOU OF SIDE EFFECTS.
Hi there, I had lower eyelid surgery 2 years ago. i did not have any fine lines, i had lil foldes under my eyes when i smiled. i thought i would get them smoothed out.he never explained what could go wrong. i thought i was in good hands. i was wrong! I have pulling down in both eyes. i'm hollowed out, i have fine lines and wrinkles now. I complained, he said it would get better with time. one month in, 2 month in over and over he would say it would get better. a year later i was not better. when i told him i went to 5 different Dr's did he stop telling me it would get better. he just said well you trade one for the other. Trade what for the other? He was so arrongant. He said i'm hear to listen to your concerns but never said anything but i think you have a nice result. i told him i wish i never had this surgery and all he could say is that's water under the bridge, i'm davasted here! All five Doctors said i should have never had this surgery. my eyes are rounded out now and he said that's what happens with this surgery. I told him about my fine lines and wrinkles and my now hollowed out look and all he could say is that your getting older hello 6 months after surgery? why have surgery? It's to look better not worse! I'm considering a hard palate graft. I feel so depressed, i can't sleep. I hope for the best.
I really feel sorry for you. It seems there are quite a few of us out there with similar stories. I dont know where you live..but find out whatever official channels exist and complain about this doctor. You must have a Health Care Ombudsman or similar. YOu cannot change what he did, but do not let him get away with it. Do this quickly as I believe the time is only 3 years to make a complaint. (here in Australia anyway) I am in the same situation as you and am facing more surgery to get this problem fixed. The reason your surgeon wont admit guilt is because he is frightened of legal action. He knows what he did!!They all have the same pathetic excuses. Publish his name wherever you can, and warn people to avoid this surgeon.You undoubtedly are not the only one in this situation with this same surgeon. If he continues to use whatever method he is using for this surgery, there are other people out there who are also damaged by him. They all have huge egos, and dont like to be told that they have made serious mistakes. They just want us to skulk off and never be seen again, so they can forget about us. See if one of the doctors you have seen can do revision surgery. Research it carefully. Do not give up!!
Further to your letter - if your surgeon did not adequately warn you that the complications you have were possible, it seems he didnt. You have a case. Get some free legal advice or as I said before use your ombudsmen. GO GET HIM!!
Thank you for your compassion. I'm in California. The DR did NOT warn me of any complications what's so ever! : ( After things started going wrong and they did from the gate, he said to me.....I feel so bad i didn't tell you the complications that could happen. I also had infection under my right lower eye where he did the surgery. Thank you for your reply, I apprecicate you, I hope things go well for you. Please let me know how your revision surgery goes.
Sad Eyes- no matter what country a dr/surgeon is in they all are meant to perform under the ethos of "first do no harm". Your doctor also neglected his duty of care to you by not warning you of the complications that were possible. If he really cares about your outcome and is truly sorry for what he did, he should refer you to the very best revision surgeon he knows and he should pay for the surgery. Did you get your money back from the surgery? If not I would try to get this money back. You did not get what you paid for. Try to find a occularplastic/or a craniofacial surgeon who maybe can help you. Take care of yourself...
I really doubt he will give my money back. He thinks he did a great job. I did find a Dr for the revision on my own. I would not trust anyone he would refer me to. I was thinking of complaing to the Better Business Bureau and complaining how he did not sit with me and warn me what could go wrong and how he told me after this kind of surgery your eyes always become wider. Meaning rounded eyes. I know this is not true because i went to see five different Dr's and they told me this is not normal. He also told me after the surgery you trade one for the other, he never mentioned that before surgery, believe me i would have never done this if he warned me, he made me feel like i was in good hands. I did not go for puffy eyes, i had lil folds i wanted to smooth out, he said he take care of that for me, i told him i did not go in for a eye shape change! that's when he said this is what happens with this surgery always! That is a lie. I went back to him for a whole year, he knew how upset i was and still am. I just don't know what i can do now about trying to get my money back. Trust i wish i could because i need it for my new surgery. Thank you for your time.
Write him a letter and ask for your money back. Well, really demand but in a nice way. List the problems and the fact that he did not warn you of the complications. Mention that you have seen other doctors and what they said. Tell him you did not get what you paid for. ( If you were buying anything else and it was faulty you would take it back to the store and get your money back.) Mention how it has affected your life. Of course he says he did a good job. His medical indemnity instructs him never to admit any guilt! Yes, speak to the better business people or ask them who to contact specifically for health complaints.Try to use the correct medical names for your problem. ie lateral canthus is rounded etc. Dr. Meronks site on eye surgery is good for this. Tell your doc you are contacting the better business people. Make him realise you mean business. Do not delay. The more people are scared to face up to these surgeons the more they get away with it.
Hi ernurse, I did complain to him for a full year in person with all the probelms and how davasted i am. His response was always the same..You have a nice result, this happens with this type of surgery etc. I have wrote him a few letters also but i never get anywhere. It's hopeless to complain to him anymore, it's like talking to a wall a very cold wall at that. I did rate him on RATEMDS.com to try and get his attention, so maybe he might give me back my money but i know he would refuse. He said to me he is bias. I will continue rating him where ever i can and give his name. I don't want anyone else to feel this pain, I have nightmares every night. This has really changed me :(
I know how it must have changed you, because I know how I feel too. However you need to complain via letter with a purpose. ie dont just say you are unhappy, say why and that you want your money back.Point out that he has failed in his legal duty of care to you by not informing you of the complications. State exactly how much money you want back. He would not care that you rate him. He probably never looks at those places. Contact your better business bureau and a free legal advice place if you have one. Also send a letter to the organisations he claims membership of. Send a copy of the letter you sent him to them too.Tell him in your letter to him that you have done this. He will continue to deny everything until the end so just ignore this. Denial does not mean he will not pay you back. Dont get mad, get even!!
Hi ernurse, What will sending a letter to membership and telling him about the beter business bureau do? Wouldn't that make him angry with me and not refund my money? It's to late to take legal action against him. I started writing my letter and will be contacting the Better Business bureau. Thank you kindly for your advice.
hI , I have the same surgery midface and lower blepharoplsty thru transcutaneous, I am three months post op and my right eyes is still swollen. Everytime I smile you can see the swelling that looks like a strip of french fries on my right eye It start from the inner canthus to the outer lateral canthus of my eyes, becoming bigger and bigger as it goes to the lateral canthus. Every morning when I wake up I would look at the mirror hoping it has become smaller and smaller. I am losing hope as I don't see any improvement at all. My eyes are really tight when I wake up in the morning it funny and weird . It's round and very different from before. I use to have a very attractive soft eyes and people used to tell I am very attractive . I wen't to this surgeon people because I wanted a refresh look since people tell me I look tired. Now I end up looking like a freak. I look very different from before. I cannot recognize my self in the mirror and even my sister told me the same thing.I am distraught I lost my identity.. My surgeon never told me about all of this. The thing he said is I'm going to look young and refresh. He never discuss any of this complications to me. I wonder how I can go on with my life now. If anybody is contemplating of having this surgery please don't you will regret it for the rest of your life. The pain both physically and emotionally you will go through is undescribable.
Hi sad eyes I read your experience it was posted on 2009 u were thinking about having corrective surgery hard palate graft. Have you went through n how did it go? I'm considering it too i have similar outcome as yours. Please let me know how did it go!
Hi there, I have had lower eyelid surgery too, it will be 2 years nov 6 09. i went in a for a well what i thought was a smoother more rested appearance. that's what i asked for. Well i didn't work out that way. i didn't have have fine lines, wrinkles, just maye a touch of extra skin that made lil foldes when i smiled. Before i was wheeled in to get cut on, i had this feeling something told me don't do it! How i wished i listened to my inner voice. My dr did not warn we of anything that could go wrong. He thought alot of his self so i felt safe with him, since he was called the top rated Dr.
This is a really sad outcome for you. I hope you take some action against your surgeon, although it may be too late. I still would write him a letter and also send him a copy of my posting in regard to my bad outcome to show him that the procedure is flawed and it is not just you who thinks so. Your surgeon didnt say anything when you questioned him as he doesnt know what to say. They are totally hopeless when it comes to complications and so they just deny everything. They are so frightened that if they admit guilt we will sue the pants of them and their insurance wont cover them if they admit guilt. That is why nothing ever changes. If you just go off quietly he will keep doing this procedure!!! I intend to send your email (identifying factors deleted) to my surgeon and let him see what has happened to you. Maybe you should try another surgeon. they are out there. My original surgeon's practice nurse even told me to see 4 or 5 others to see what I could get done. My eyes are so messed up to. I no longer wear eye makeup or look in the mirror. If these monsters could see what they do to people!!!
You describe some of the same exact problems I had with the same surgery - mid face lift via transcutaneous lower lids. I had surgery over 3 years ago and I regret it every moment. I do not recommend this type of surgery for any reason whatsoever. The stresses placed on the orbital muscles are too great, and that being so even if no damage is done to the important nerves around the eye. To sum up the damage done to me... right orbicularis nerve damage, scleral show right eye, eye asymetry, downward pull in both outer eyes giving me a different sort of sad look, shortened smaller rounder eyes, hollowed out lower orbital space, oddly shaped upper cheek, unilateral lip nerve damage making my smile more of a snear and a pucker that plumps on only one side. The almond shape and pleasant quality of my eye appearance is gone. I have no skin left around my eyes to give me my natural expressions. The contours and softness of my previous cheeks are gone. My cheeks do not bunch up in a happy healthy way when I gently smile anymore - I have to really be grinning to get them up there, and then there are the slack lines in the lower cheeks. At an angle my cheeks have been flattened, with a pointy cheek very high. I look haggard and damaged, very different from my former self. Just as bad if not worse is the physical sensation that my face is not right. Pulling down, tearing, asymmetry in mouth movements, and fatigue and tension around the eyes. Prior to surgery I received enough compliments from both genders in one form or another to understand on some level I was a somewhat attractive person despite my flaws. Since surgery, not one compliment that I can remember. Really. I either am dismissed, ignored, or looked at strangely. The surgeon never admitted any wrongdoing or even that I had less than good result. He would just look at me when I cried, listen to my questions without answering, just basically biding his time until I moved on. He would have tried to correct some of the eye damage with a canthopexy. However, I could not bring myself to go under the knife again, let alone with him. Another surgeon, regarded as a "fixer" of bad eye surgeries, told me the canthopexy would not have helped anyhow as it would have given my eyes an unfavorable "pinched" look. He discounted the palate graft by saying the nominal change in results would not be worth the risks. He basically encouraged not doing anything at all (imagine that, a surgeon who recommends no surgery - refreshing and disheartening at the same time). He said I could expect that over time gravity might help lower my other lid to help even out the look. Great. Not what I was hoping to hear, a symmetrical houndog appearance in my future. Various fillers were suggested and tried to fill in the depressions and even out some of the asymmetry, which they did to some extent, but they are expensive as everyone knows and ripe with their own set of problems and risks. And of course, they don't touch the nerve damage issues of how your face moves, or doesn't. I didn't decide to re-fill, and it's been a couple years since I tried those. They are probably all depleted by now. What I see in the mirror still makes me shudder. I do think my appearance is rapidly worsening with time, accelerated by the fact that my natural pre-surgery support networks of nerves and muscles were screwed around with and damaged. I still hope for some new breakthrough treatment that would restore my eyes, cheeks and lip. I'm in my 40's so I still have a while. But that's more of a dream than anything. I just hope someone out there contemplating this surgery will read this or some other problematic outcome and give it pause. And find something else less invasive and and less risky to aid your problem! I wonder how long before this technique will be viewed as flawed and outdated by ALL surgeons?