I have an ankle tattoo that is 16 years old. It...

I have an ankle tattoo that is 16 years old. It goes all the way around my ankle. I had one Picosure treatment in July. Having had previous laser treatments, I will say the Picosure is FAR superior. I had substantial fading after the first treatment. I just had my second treatment yesterday and am anxiously awaiting the results. I would definitely recommend Picosure. The only issue is that there are not many available yet, and I travel 7 hours to have the treatments. Despite that, it's worth it because I desperately want to be rid of this tattoo.

2nd Treatment

Okay, this is one week after my second treatment. It's really bizarre, because this time I did not blister AT ALL. In fact, it was barely swollen. A complete turn around from the first treatment, in which I blistered horribly and could barely put weight on my foot from the pain. So weird to me that there was such a difference. The fading is not as noticeable, but the DR said it wouldn't be due to less pigment. It seems to still be fading. I am posting a view from the top of the tattoo so you can see the light spots that occurred after the first treatment.

3rd Treatment

So I had my 3rd treatment on Monday. This one was more painful than the last, and this one really swelled and blistered. The first one did as well, but the second one did not. The woman who did my procedure this time said the body can adjust to it, and therefore not react as bad. She said that is why they don't like patients to wait longer than 4-5 weeks before returning. Having said that, she also said the body can react differently each time, so the difference in each of my treatments is not unusual. I am 3 days out and still fairly swollen. Blisters still oozing. SUPER FUN!!! Anyway, I am still very optimistic about this tattoo coming off. The nurse said it was fading great and would DEFINATELY come off. She said my hypopigmentation should fade back to normal over time. Sounds good to me :)

9 days after 3rd treatment

16 days after 3rd treatment

Before tx & after 3rd tx

2 weeks after 4th tx

I am healed from my 4th treatment. Still a ways to go, but I am pleased with the progress so far. My hypopigmentation has healed tremendously :)

Before and after 4th tx

Top of tattoo

Here is a pic of the top of the tattoo showing hypopigmentation after the first treatment. The second picture is after the 4th treatment. You can see the hypopigmentation has gone away :)

2.5 months since 4th TX

It's been over 2 months since my last treatment (oct. 16) and I feel like my tattoo has continued to fade. I'm going to try and get my 5th treatment this week.

Treatment 5 at Skintastic in Dallas

Gosh I haven't been on here in a while! So I had my 5th treatment 8 weeks ago at Skintastic in Dallas. This was my first time there and they are great. I loved Dr. Adelglass and Karen is awesome. They would not do the entire circumference of my ankle in one visit due to swelling and compromising of the lymphatic system. I must say this decreased my pain and swelling immensely. The only drawback is having to go back in 2 weeks to do the rest. I just bring a friend and have a shopping trip :)

Treatment 6

I had my 6th pico treatment yesterday in Dallas. I expressed that I was getting discouraged and Karen was very encouraging. She moved the setting to 2.8 this time. It frosted great and she was pleased, hoping I will have noticeable results. I hope so too!!!!

Not sure what to think......

Well, I had my 6th tx in March and then took the summer off. I do believe it has continued to fade, although I am very ran and it's hard to tell. Parts of the tattoo, especially the top, almost seemed to get lighter as I got darker. Not sure if this is hypopigmentation still, or what. Maybe once, or, if- I should say- the tattoo is completely removed, that skin will no longer tan? Afraid I might have a "ghost" of my original tattoo. I don't really know what to expect at this point. I plan on resuming my treatments this fall, after my tan fades. Hopefully, God willing, I can be free of this tattoo by next summer. I've attached some pics of what it currently looks like.

Side by side view

Before treatment and current
Westlake Dermatology

This facility is amazing. It is a gorgeous office, the front desk girls are extremely friendly and helpful, and both of the Dr.'s I have seen have been wonderful. They gave me realistic expectations and completely professional service. I can't praise them enough.

I couldn't find this info anywhere.. how much time has to be in between sessions?
Typical treatment interval is 6-8 weeks. Healing with the blister takes anywhere from a few days up to a week. The longer interval is so that your body (lymphatic system) has time to process the ink as it breaks apart.
I don't think you will have complete removal. I don't think 99% of the people who get tattoo laser removal will. I have had to come to terms with that through my own process. I have had ten treatments with non-picosure lasers, and now I just had my 11th treatment with a picosure one. I have scarring from a previous botched treatment and it still looks like the tattoos are there. I am only continuing to do this because the whole goal was to remove the tattoo and it looks worse than it did before the treatment at this point. I wish I could give people a "wow tattoo laser removal is AWESOME!" story but I just can't. Tattoo lightening is a reality, but removal just isn't.
In my experience when you do multiple treatments with a non-pico laser such as a q-switch yag laser there is something called recalification that can happen to the ink. It will start to fade but will never full clear. I have seen this with some patient who have done up to 20tx with the older technology and you can still see the ink. The good news is the picosure can fully clear it. It just going to take longer. I would estimate another 5-6 treatments on the picosure but you can get it cleared. Just a long drawn out process that I am sure is super frustrating.
That is really good to hear! I've has 7 q-switch and 2 Picosure treatments. I'm very happy with Picosure, but always skeptical about complete removal.
I SO HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT!!!!!! :)
It will (or should) continue to fade, so I think it's looking really great. You have some Hypo pigmentation by the looks of the photo. It is important to refrain from sunbathing while having tattoo removal.
Looks good! I think you and I are at similar stages in the fading of our ankle tattoos. I also have mixed feelings. A year ago I would have been thrilled to have it faded this much. The process just seems so slow, and I'm still not sure I will have complete removal. Thank you for sharing!
Ugh! I know the feeling!!!! When I look at my "before" pics, I am happy for where I am, but I'm still not thrilled with the results. I hope we both get where we want to be someday! :)
I am considering this for my ankle tattoo as well. Any new pictures? How much is each visit?
I just posted some new pics:) I am currently paying $400 a treatment.
Thanks, I think it looks really good. May I also ask if you think the black ink is fading faster than the colored ink?
I don't have any black ink- just turquoise, teal, purple, pink and yellow. And actually my pink is fading really well, compared to what others have experienced. The yellow, not so much, but my yellow is so small, I won't care if it doesn't get removed. I definitely think black fades faster though.
Hey there, just checking in to see how your fading is coming along - would love an update :)
I really can't see why anyone would pay 4-5 times the price of a Q-YAG treatment for Picosure when the risk of permanent hypopigmentation is FAR greater, and the 'estimate' of needing only 2-3 treatments for complete tattoo removal doesn't appear to be held up by clinical experience. Just another over marketed laser device..that gullible consumers may well regret paying extra for in the long run.
Well, I am not gullible, as you suggest and have been having tattoo removal performed over the last 15 years. I have had treatments by every laser available and I can say, without a doubt, the Picosure is superior.
I totally agree that the picosure is superior! I had two treatments with the medlite C6 and barely saw any changes. I've had three treatments with the pico and each time I have obvious fading!
any new pics? I have a very similar tattoo but on my arm and skinnier. I have a consult appt next week for picosure....interested to see what yours looks like now :) thanks for this detailed review!
Sorry I never got back to you! I posted some current pics :)
Hi I have both my ribs and feet that I want gone so bad and am worried how the results would look. Will your tattoo be visible at all?! Do u pay for each session or each tattoo?
Hi there, how long roughly was it before your hypo went away? longer than 5 months? thanks
DEFINATELY not longer than five months. Maybe 3 or 4.
i think that you can treat your whole tattoo in one session... if you can handle the pain omf course. but the swelling can not be that bad. i got my whole ankle, shin, calf and femoral treated in one session...
I am reading picosure does not remove red I j had my whole half sleeve lasered by picosure. The blue areas almost went away completely . The red and orange didn't fade at all.
I am completely discouraged I have no more money and they didn't tell me it doesn't work on red or orange is this true?