I have an ankle tattoo that is 16 years old. It...

I have an ankle tattoo that is 16 years old. It goes all the way around my ankle. I had one Picosure treatment in July. Having had previous laser treatments, I will say the Picosure is FAR superior. I had substantial fading after the first treatment. I just had my second treatment yesterday and am anxiously awaiting the results. I would definitely recommend Picosure. The only issue is that there are not many available yet, and I travel 7 hours to have the treatments. Despite that, it's worth it because I desperately want to be rid of this tattoo.
How many treatments for $1500?
A package of 4 treatments.
I am going to Westlake for my first treatment on Monday! What exactly do you mean by realistic expectations? I am very concerned about hyperpigmentation due to my olive skin.

2nd Treatment

Okay, this is one week after my second treatment. It's really bizarre, because this time I did not blister AT ALL. In fact, it was barely swollen. A complete turn around from the first treatment, in which I blistered horribly and could barely put weight on my foot from the pain. So weird to me that there was such a difference. The fading is not as noticeable, but the DR said it wouldn't be due to less pigment. It seems to still be fading. I am posting a view from the top of the tattoo so you can see the light spots that occurred after the first treatment.
Are you going to Westlake again soon for your third treatment? I have my second scheduled for Oct 7th! I hope I see more significant fading after the second tx! I've decided to fly in and fly out of Austin same day instead of driving 7 1/2 hours. Hopefully that will be easier and the traveling price is comparable so that's good.
I was just there Monday! Drove in Sunday, drove home Monday- sucks! I've also considered flying. Anyway, I'm also hoping to get more noticeable fading this time. This time it really swelled and blistered. Just like the first time. The second time didn't blister at all and barely swelled. So bizarre.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

3rd Treatment

So I had my 3rd treatment on Monday. This one was more painful than the last, and this one really swelled and blistered. The first one did as well, but the second one did not. The woman who did my procedure this time said the body can adjust to it, and therefore not react as bad. She said that is why they don't like patients to wait longer than 4-5 weeks before returning. Having said that, she also said the body can react differently each time, so the difference in each of my treatments is not unusual. I am 3 days out and still fairly swollen. Blisters still oozing. SUPER FUN!!! Anyway, I am still very optimistic about this tattoo coming off. The nurse said it was fading great and would DEFINATELY come off. She said my hypopigmentation should fade back to normal over time. Sounds good to me :)
Do you think going every four weeks is a waste of money? I am not really sure who to listen to regarding amount of time in between treatments. Some people say six weeks for PicoSure some people say four. I would like to go every four weeks but if that is not enough time for my body to clean away the ink then I should wait right?
That's a hard one. My understanding is that the time in between treatments is to allow the skin to heal. Our bodies are constantly trying to eliminate the ink regardless. Each treatment just breaks up the ink more, making it easier for our bodies to remove. I don't think waiting 2 additional weeks is going to make much difference as far as fading. Once you get the next treatment it will be easier to fade anyway. The Westlake doctors have all told me 4 weeks. My three treatments have been exactly 4 weeks apart and I am happy with the fading so far. I know thats probably not much help!
No it is!! I will have waited 6 weeks by the tikme I get my second treatment October 7th but I have scheduled a flight exactly 4 weeks from then so I guess I will see what my body like better! Thank you!

9 days after 3rd treatment

Wow, that looks intense!

16 days after 3rd treatment

That looks great. Your hypopigmentation has decreased significantly.
Hey! Did you have your second treatment today?!?!!
Had to move it to next Monday. So ready for the second one!

Before tx & after 3rd tx

You should be going back for a fourth treatment soon right? My third is this Friday. Did you see a new poster is going to Skintastic in Dallas? I am glad she posted so I can see how that facility does.
Kelly told me it should eventually return to normal. Mine has decreased a ton. I don't think waiting longer matters in regard to the healing of hypo you already have. I keep having treatments and mine continues to get better. Since the laser is drawn to pigment, it shouldn't be affected. Don't freak!!!!!! It will be ok :)
lol. thank you. I do not want a scar in the shape of the tat! I told her I had a plne tick for four weeks from the last treatment and she told me to postone my plane tix two weeks. It will cost more than the original ticket to change the day and I am wondering what to do. Stressing is bad for healing but jeez, it's hard when yu are sp far away from the laser.

2 weeks after 4th tx

I am healed from my 4th treatment. Still a ways to go, but I am pleased with the progress so far. My hypopigmentation has healed tremendously :)

Wow, your results are encouraging, looking great! Thanks for the side by side those really paint a true picture of the results. Keep us updated :)

Before and after 4th tx

Top of tattoo

Here is a pic of the top of the tattoo showing hypopigmentation after the first treatment. The second picture is after the 4th treatment. You can see the hypopigmentation has gone away :)
Did you go for your fifth treatment yet?
Hi, thank you! I see in your picture you have hypopigment! How long ago was it since that happen and how does it look today? Mine was the same but has only gone down slightly. My main concern is if i keep going with lazer will this just effect the skin over and over and over. . Making it less likely to fade? And will i have a huge ghost shadow behind. It is slightly bumpy in some bits too.when you pinch the skin together it looks like scarring but Im not sure. . Its getting to the point should i get it covered right now as its coverable . .or keep going and have a scared bumpy hypopigmented looking area? Or does it just look dramatic as Im half way through my treatments will it look decent after a year from last treatment
P.S Iv had 9 treatments on my shoulder a flower was quite new when i started lazer just hated the tattoo turned out all wrong. All has been well until now experiencing some hypo i have a few questions to ask i want to ask some one experiencing the same thing. Iv been using q switch ruby treatment! And discovered a picosure lazer in my town. Once again just a few questions :-) would mean the world to me.

2.5 months since 4th TX

It's been over 2 months since my last treatment (oct. 16) and I feel like my tattoo has continued to fade. I'm going to try and get my 5th treatment this week.
Your results look amazing. I'm considering picosure removal also. Have you noticed any change in texture or any long term raising of the treated area? Thank you for sharing your progress...
I see that you have been getting your treatments at Westlake Dermatology and then later see you are scheduled to have treatments at a different location (Skintastics). Why the change? I live in Austin and I'm interested in getting a couple of my tattoos removed and would love to know the best place to go.
Hi! Yes, I had 4 treatments at Westlake. I switched simply because Dallas is so much closer to me- I'm in OKC. I have had one tx in Dallas and am very pleased with the facility and the Doctor and staff. I was also pleased with Westlake.

Treatment 5 at Skintastic in Dallas

Gosh I haven't been on here in a while! So I had my 5th treatment 8 weeks ago at Skintastic in Dallas. This was my first time there and they are great. I loved Dr. Adelglass and Karen is awesome. They would not do the entire circumference of my ankle in one visit due to swelling and compromising of the lymphatic system. I must say this decreased my pain and swelling immensely. The only drawback is having to go back in 2 weeks to do the rest. I just bring a friend and have a shopping trip :)

Treatment 6

I had my 6th pico treatment yesterday in Dallas. I expressed that I was getting discouraged and Karen was very encouraging. She moved the setting to 2.8 this time. It frosted great and she was pleased, hoping I will have noticeable results. I hope so too!!!!
I am considering this for my ankle tattoo as well. Any new pictures? How much is each visit?
Hey there, just checking in to see how your fading is coming along - would love an update :)
I really can't see why anyone would pay 4-5 times the price of a Q-YAG treatment for Picosure when the risk of permanent hypopigmentation is FAR greater, and the 'estimate' of needing only 2-3 treatments for complete tattoo removal doesn't appear to be held up by clinical experience. Just another over marketed laser device..that gullible consumers may well regret paying extra for in the long run.

Not sure what to think......

Well, I had my 6th tx in March and then took the summer off. I do believe it has continued to fade, although I am very ran and it's hard to tell. Parts of the tattoo, especially the top, almost seemed to get lighter as I got darker. Not sure if this is hypopigmentation still, or what. Maybe once, or, if- I should say- the tattoo is completely removed, that skin will no longer tan? Afraid I might have a "ghost" of my original tattoo. I don't really know what to expect at this point. I plan on resuming my treatments this fall, after my tan fades. Hopefully, God willing, I can be free of this tattoo by next summer. I've attached some pics of what it currently looks like.
Looks good! I think you and I are at similar stages in the fading of our ankle tattoos. I also have mixed feelings. A year ago I would have been thrilled to have it faded this much. The process just seems so slow, and I'm still not sure I will have complete removal. Thank you for sharing!
Ugh! I know the feeling!!!! When I look at my "before" pics, I am happy for where I am, but I'm still not thrilled with the results. I hope we both get where we want to be someday! :)
I just posted some new pics:) I am currently paying $400 a treatment.

Side by side view

Before treatment and current
I couldn't find this info anywhere.. how much time has to be in between sessions?
Typical treatment interval is 6-8 weeks. Healing with the blister takes anywhere from a few days up to a week. The longer interval is so that your body (lymphatic system) has time to process the ink as it breaks apart.
I don't think you will have complete removal. I don't think 99% of the people who get tattoo laser removal will. I have had to come to terms with that through my own process. I have had ten treatments with non-picosure lasers, and now I just had my 11th treatment with a picosure one. I have scarring from a previous botched treatment and it still looks like the tattoos are there. I am only continuing to do this because the whole goal was to remove the tattoo and it looks worse than it did before the treatment at this point. I wish I could give people a "wow tattoo laser removal is AWESOME!" story but I just can't. Tattoo lightening is a reality, but removal just isn't.
Westlake Dermatology

This facility is amazing. It is a gorgeous office, the front desk girls are extremely friendly and helpful, and both of the Dr.'s I have seen have been wonderful. They gave me realistic expectations and completely professional service. I can't praise them enough.