Tear Trough Implants -Austin, TX

My whole life I've had eye bags. My dad has them,...

My whole life I've had eye bags. My dad has them, one of my brother's has them, my sister has them (although she has booked the same surgery I had with the same doctor, so she'll join the no bag club soon). I was constantly asked "are you tired?", "do you have bad allergies?", "have you been crying?" Sometimes I wasn't even asked, but simply told "you look so tired!". Thanks folks. I didn't seriously think about surgery until August/September of this year. Honestly, I didn't know it was truly an option. Once I found Dr. Apostolakis in Austin, TX and read all of his posts here on realself, I knew I wanted to go in for a consult. I already knew I'd want the surgery, and the consult just confirmed that. The surgery couldn't come soon enough, I bought a wedge to sleep on, read everything under the sun on how to prevent bruising, swelling, how to get the best results. I was ready. The only problem, I was a little scared. Now, I'm a nurse, so I stick people all the time, and I'm not afraid of needles. But I had never had a real IV- I say "real" because I've had friends practice on me, but I've never actually had an infusion. I've never been sedated. So I was a little nervous. But everyone put me at ease. I realize I'm kind of rambling now. So I'll try to be more concise and break things down in time line form. Week before surgery: filled all scripts. Antibiotic, Pain and Nausea. October 7th- night before surgery, nothing to eat or drink past midnight. They gave me valium if I wanted to help me sleep, but I didn't take it. October 9th- my sister picked me up and took me to the appt. I changed into a gown and washed my face twice. IV was placed, and blood drawn, not for labs, but for PRP (platelet rich plasma). basically, your blood is drawn, its spun down to separate the platelets, then Dr. A injected my platelets to the surgery site (during the surgery) to reduce bruising. Back to pre surgery info-- I was given an oral antibiotic, Dr. A marked my face and then I walked to the OR. I laid on the OR table. Arms strapped down, Hooked up to a vitals machine, Dr. A enters and starts pushing meds. Taste disgusting and then I'm out. I wake up with an ice pack on my face. No pain, I walk (with help, I can't see, ice pack on eyes) to another room. My sister arrives, I get into a wheel chair and then into my sister car and home. My sister makes me eat (mind you, still have an Ice pack on my face). I eat maybe a half an egg, then go to sleep. For the next 20 hours I'm sleeping, reapplying ice packs, sleeping, reapplying ice packs. October 9th. I wake up, somewhat in pain, but fear it might get worse so I take 2 lortab (did not take anything overnight). My sister picks me up and we head to the post op appt. Everyone is pleased. We head home, not after stopping by the store to get some more saline eye drops. I feel pretty nauseated. I get home and vomit. Then go back to sleep, ice, sleep. The next several days get better and better and I feel better and better. I spent about 10 days after the surgery sleeping on a wedge, I did not drink any alcohol, I did not take anything other than tylenol for pain (no NSAIDs), I drank approx 48ounces of fresh squeezed pineapple juice a day and really only ate "green goddess" soup (spinach, celery, brown rice, broccoli, garlic) I am so incredibly happy I did this. And like I mentioned, I used realself religiously in looking up info- so if anyone has any questions I am more than willing to be of any help! I'll try post a few pics too.

more post photos

2.5 months later

Hi All-
Sorry I'm only now posting another photo- and responding... we've moved over 2,000 miles away... So this photo is without makeup, post shower- taken about 10 minutes ago, over 2 and a half months after the surgery. Everything is smooth sailing, no issues, no complaints. Still very happy I had to procedure!

Feb 28 2014

Hi All,
Everything is still going great. I was actually back in Austin last week because my sister had the same procedure with Dr. A- so I flew back to help her out. It's been a week and 2 days and she looks great and is also happy with the results (sorry, no pictures- she didn't want to). Her procedure was just as smooth! Anyway- it is 630 in the morning- I just snapped a picture so you can see the results after almost 5 months. Thanks!
Dr. Apostolakis

The staff at Dr. A's office and Dr. A are amazing. So friendly, so informative. The office is small and Dr. A only does faces, so I definitely felt like I was in good hands. I like how every time I went in for an appointment everyone always greeted me by my name. I highly recommend Dr. A and his staff and in fact, my sister is going to have the same procedure in a couple of months!

Hi Imaca, love you results. You look amazing!!! I'm considering this procedure but wanted to ask you a question. What made you choose implants vs. fillers or lower blepharoplasty ? I've had fillers under the muscle in my tear through, but it's not ideal for a guy since we don't wear make up. The skin is too thin and you can see dark shadows from the muscle pressed again the skin :/
Oh my gosh, I am thirty and have these bags. I was so happy to see your post because you're so young. You look fantastic. I have people ask me if I'm tired or angry all the time. Yet if I mention that I hate my eye bags they say 'oh, you hardly notice them'. It's the overall effect and I see them every time I pass a reflective surface. Thank you for sharing.
Hello you look BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for your informative post...I am considering this procedure and it is very helpful when members post all that was done it helps when going for a consult. all the pics are helpful too
Hi Hun :-) Are you you still out there? Would it be possible to see a picture of your result today? In February of 2014? I am very much interested in having this procedure! Thank you!
Hi There! I just saw this :) So I took a picture and am posting it now- it's 630 in the morning :)
wow...6:30 in the morning..and you already have makeup on or no ..YOU LOOK Amazing..surgery took like 20 years off of your face
ha! Thanks! Yeah, 630 in the am- to be fair I did have make up on- I was on my way to work. Although 20 years?! eek, I'm only 32! :) Goes to show how the bags made me look so much older and more tired!
hopefully every thing is ok now , could you please if you can explain your sergeant steps in more details and keep us with ,and keep up with the weekly or monthly results
Hi there! I just posted another picture. I'm not sure the surgeon's steps in more detail since I was asleep :)
What kind of implant material he used ?
silica
You look wonderful !
thank you!
Just a note of caution for others evaluating this result. Two weeks is very, very early from this type of surgery. It would be very help to see post operative pictures taken at 2 months after surgery and beyond rather than at 2 weeks to understand the results of the surgery. However, these are very nice results for just 2 weeks out. The real question is how is the result with more healing.
Hi there! I just posted a 2.5 month post op picture- (we've moved and I hadn't gotten around to posting updated photos). I am still extremely pleased with the results. No issues, no complaints.
Hi, Imaca. I sent a message to your doc on his website, letting him know that 1) I'm in the UK, and 2) I'm black (because different skin types heal differently) and since then - a week ago - I've heard nada. He's either really busy or just decided not to even humour me. :( How long did he take to reply to you?
Hi there- The first time I wrote him he responded right away- the second time, no response. Not sure if the second email he didn't respond to as I had an appointment soon after. Any luck so far? Has he responded yet? One thing I know, I had my pre op appt. 1 week before surgery. Then an apt the day after, then one week after, then 2 weeks after, then 1 month post. I'm assuming he'd want you to be there for that amount of time as well. I know it is not common, but if an infection were to occur, you'd want the implants removed. He did say he's had to do that twice.
I've emailed about 4 doctors in the USA now and none have replied. I guess they don't want to deal with international patients. It would be nice if they could reply one way or the other though.
By the way, I emailed your doc twice.
You should try calling (after the holidays).  Maybe they'd be willing to do a skype consultation.
Your results are amazing! I've been researching to find a doctor who performs this procedure near me but sadly there aren't many facial plastic surgeons with Dr. A's experience in the midwest. Plus they don't feel its necessary to use an implant, preferring HA fillers. I, like you, am looking for a more long term solution but I am worried about the overall cost. On top of the procedure i'm going to need to pay for airfare, and hotel etc... Would you happen to know how long I should plan on staying in Austin?
Hi there! Sorry I'm only now responding. I'd say to plan for 3-4 weeks. Plus the inital consultation. I had the consultation then had to be there for the pre op appt 1 week prior to surgery- they may allow you to do it over the phone? I have no idea. But after surgery I had to go in the morning after, then 1 week after, then 2 weeks, then 1 month. All of these visits were included in the price. you'd definitely need someone to drive you after the surgery as well as to the morning after appt. I drove myself for the week after appt.
Hi there, I have bags too since I was 15 years old. Now Im 50 and they are worse. So is this different than taking the fat out of your bags? What do they do in this situation. Thanks for your time. SC

Your eyes look amazing!!! Well worth the money :)

This looks amazing! I have a pretty severe case of hollowing and sunken eye as well as brow drooping from laser and botox and I'm scared to death to inject I wonder if this would be best for me? I'm 32 and devastated. My eyes were perfect before all this :( I don't have bags just no fat and really loose skin...what do you think? Also how far across the eye does the implant go? I have the loss from the inner corner to the outer. Can you feel the implant when you apply makeup? Your job was done so well I'd fly there from la.