Tear Trough Implants -Austin, TX

My whole life I've had eye bags. My dad has them,...

My whole life I've had eye bags. My dad has them, one of my brother's has them, my sister has them (although she has booked the same surgery I had with the same doctor, so she'll join the no bag club soon). I was constantly asked "are you tired?", "do you have bad allergies?", "have you been crying?" Sometimes I wasn't even asked, but simply told "you look so tired!". Thanks folks. I didn't seriously think about surgery until August/September of this year. Honestly, I didn't know it was truly an option. Once I found Dr. Apostolakis in Austin, TX and read all of his posts here on realself, I knew I wanted to go in for a consult. I already knew I'd want the surgery, and the consult just confirmed that. The surgery couldn't come soon enough, I bought a wedge to sleep on, read everything under the sun on how to prevent bruising, swelling, how to get the best results. I was ready. The only problem, I was a little scared. Now, I'm a nurse, so I stick people all the time, and I'm not afraid of needles. But I had never had a real IV- I say "real" because I've had friends practice on me, but I've never actually had an infusion. I've never been sedated. So I was a little nervous. But everyone put me at ease. I realize I'm kind of rambling now. So I'll try to be more concise and break things down in time line form. Week before surgery: filled all scripts. Antibiotic, Pain and Nausea. October 7th- night before surgery, nothing to eat or drink past midnight. They gave me valium if I wanted to help me sleep, but I didn't take it. October 9th- my sister picked me up and took me to the appt. I changed into a gown and washed my face twice. IV was placed, and blood drawn, not for labs, but for PRP (platelet rich plasma). basically, your blood is drawn, its spun down to separate the platelets, then Dr. A injected my platelets to the surgery site (during the surgery) to reduce bruising. Back to pre surgery info-- I was given an oral antibiotic, Dr. A marked my face and then I walked to the OR. I laid on the OR table. Arms strapped down, Hooked up to a vitals machine, Dr. A enters and starts pushing meds. Taste disgusting and then I'm out. I wake up with an ice pack on my face. No pain, I walk (with help, I can't see, ice pack on eyes) to another room. My sister arrives, I get into a wheel chair and then into my sister car and home. My sister makes me eat (mind you, still have an Ice pack on my face). I eat maybe a half an egg, then go to sleep. For the next 20 hours I'm sleeping, reapplying ice packs, sleeping, reapplying ice packs. October 9th. I wake up, somewhat in pain, but fear it might get worse so I take 2 lortab (did not take anything overnight). My sister picks me up and we head to the post op appt. Everyone is pleased. We head home, not after stopping by the store to get some more saline eye drops. I feel pretty nauseated. I get home and vomit. Then go back to sleep, ice, sleep. The next several days get better and better and I feel better and better. I spent about 10 days after the surgery sleeping on a wedge, I did not drink any alcohol, I did not take anything other than tylenol for pain (no NSAIDs), I drank approx 48ounces of fresh squeezed pineapple juice a day and really only ate "green goddess" soup (spinach, celery, brown rice, broccoli, garlic) I am so incredibly happy I did this. And like I mentioned, I used realself religiously in looking up info- so if anyone has any questions I am more than willing to be of any help! I'll try post a few pics too.

more post photos

2.5 months later

Hi All-
Sorry I'm only now posting another photo- and responding... we've moved over 2,000 miles away... So this photo is without makeup, post shower- taken about 10 minutes ago, over 2 and a half months after the surgery. Everything is smooth sailing, no issues, no complaints. Still very happy I had to procedure!

Feb 28 2014

Hi All,
Everything is still going great. I was actually back in Austin last week because my sister had the same procedure with Dr. A- so I flew back to help her out. It's been a week and 2 days and she looks great and is also happy with the results (sorry, no pictures- she didn't want to). Her procedure was just as smooth! Anyway- it is 630 in the morning- I just snapped a picture so you can see the results after almost 5 months. Thanks!

Before and After Photos from Dr. A

Dr. Apostolakis

The staff at Dr. A's office and Dr. A are amazing. So friendly, so informative. The office is small and Dr. A only does faces, so I definitely felt like I was in good hands. I like how every time I went in for an appointment everyone always greeted me by my name. I highly recommend Dr. A and his staff and in fact, my sister is going to have the same procedure in a couple of months!

Wow, you look amazing post-op. I want to do this
you look great.
I have veins under my eye bags. Is that a major problem for surgery?
I'm a bit puzzled by PS's or Dr's who comment negatively on tear trough implants. Lower blepharoplasty has been around for years and I hear very little positive from those who have done this. On the contrary I have seen family members who regret ever having plastic surgery on their eyes and friends who tell me stories of horrible outcomes with people they know who have had traditional blepharoplasty on the lower lids. IMO it seems wrong to take away fat and skin on an aging face that has lost fat and volume due to the aging process. Too many people end up looking sunk in or hollow and after 6 mos to a year end up looking worst with traditional blepharoplasty of the lower lids. In an age of fillers that add volume and techniques such as fat graphting becoming a more modern solution one must really ask why are more PS's. not doing tear trough implants? I don't believe those who say it is an old alternative. The old and traditional way has been to cut, remove valuable fat and tighten for years. My dad had this done in the 70,s and was never happy with the results. He is far from the only one I know who has been dissatisfied with traditional lower blepharoplasty. Hollow eyes make one look haggard and old. Beware these Dr's who criticize the few who are doing a new lower blepharoplasty with tear trough implants. Results speak loudly so look don't just listen.
The reality is that the tear trough implant is obsolete. The mild improvement obtained with these implants can easily be achieved non-surgically with hyaluronic acid fillers.
Not permanently. Tear trough implants are NOT obsolete. Not sure why you insist on down playing them. Just look at imaca's before and after photos. She will not be needing hyaluronic acid fillers.
I would not say obsolete. And I would also not say mild improvement. I agree a similar result might be achieved with fillers- but I am only 33 and if I need to get fillers for the rest of my life- the cost of the implants is a far better alternative. I met a patient at my surgeons office who had been getting fillers for a few years, but has decided to stop and just get the surgery. I could have started with the fillers- but why? especially when I would likely just end up getting the surgery.
I totally agree with Imaca and also wanted to make a point here, that fillers are technique sensitive. You need to have a skilled surgeon or Dr. or RN to do it so it does not come out a mess. I know a woman who unfortunately had not been so fortunate with fillers and ended up at a plastic surgeons office with a horrible mess under her eyes. Fortunately he being a good PS handled it for her but not short of surgery to remove the fillers that had been placed.
I appreciate your comments but the tear trough implant is not a new implant. It was developed by plastic surgeon Dr. Robert Flowers and has been around for 20 years. I have worked with this implant. Like every implant there are potential risks and complications associated with any approach. Volumizing is the name of the game now but it must be done artfully. There are many blepharoplasty techniques that are additive rather than subtractive. I speak from experience in stating that the tear trough implant had its day. The field has moved on. That does not mean that a surgeon can't still place this implant and for a particular individual have a nice result. This surgery may always have a small place. However, it is not accurate to suggest that everyone should get this type of implant. Very simply, the results of this surgery are modest and most injectors can accomplish a better result with a simple office treatment and no surgery. If you prefer surgery, it may be that you labor under the assumption that surgery is permanent. It is not. You may labor under the assumption that something that can be accomplished without surgery can't be as good as surgery. You would be wrong. There is no question that in the hands of experienced injectors, fillers can be used to obtain results that simply cannot be equalled with surgery for the under eye area. Under eye fillers have become one of the fastest growing services for this reason. One issue that was touched on that I am in complete agreement with is that it is essential to find an injector with a proven track record for performing this service. Ideally you will find an injector close to home in case treatment needs to be adjusted. The beauty of the treatment is that it can be adjusted if needed after the initial service using an injectable enzyme. Like most things, great results require great skill. The service is technique dependent. Fillers do not replace surgery. Surgery will always have a role. However, for many people, they can accomplish what they need for the under eye are without the need for surgery or silicone implants and this is welcome development.
Your results are AMAZING! Thanks for posting! I did not know about this at all!
Hi! I have this exact same problem and I was wondering what kind of trough implants did you get? Are there different sizes or different materials to choose from?
You look great! I'm in Nor Cal and am considering going to your PS. I've had one consult by a PS in San Diego who does them too but DrA seems very good as well.
You look great. These were the exact results I was hoping for. Any odd feelings? Can you feel implant? What about profile pics or with a big smile. My face bunches up when I smile really big. Do you like how you look with a big smile?
Hi Imaca, love you results. You look amazing!!! I'm considering this procedure but wanted to ask you a question. What made you choose implants vs. fillers or lower blepharoplasty ? I've had fillers under the muscle in my tear through, but it's not ideal for a guy since we don't wear make up. The skin is too thin and you can see dark shadows from the muscle pressed again the skin :/
Oh my gosh, I am thirty and have these bags. I was so happy to see your post because you're so young. You look fantastic. I have people ask me if I'm tired or angry all the time. Yet if I mention that I hate my eye bags they say 'oh, you hardly notice them'. It's the overall effect and I see them every time I pass a reflective surface. Thank you for sharing.
Hello you look BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for your informative post...I am considering this procedure and it is very helpful when members post all that was done it helps when going for a consult. all the pics are helpful too
Hi Hun :-) Are you you still out there? Would it be possible to see a picture of your result today? In February of 2014? I am very much interested in having this procedure! Thank you!
Hi There! I just saw this :) So I took a picture and am posting it now- it's 630 in the morning :)
wow...6:30 in the morning..and you already have makeup on or no ..YOU LOOK Amazing..surgery took like 20 years off of your face
ha! Thanks! Yeah, 630 in the am- to be fair I did have make up on- I was on my way to work. Although 20 years?! eek, I'm only 32! :) Goes to show how the bags made me look so much older and more tired!
hopefully every thing is ok now , could you please if you can explain your sergeant steps in more details and keep us with ,and keep up with the weekly or monthly results
Hi there! I just posted another picture. I'm not sure the surgeon's steps in more detail since I was asleep :)
What kind of implant material he used ?
silica