ByeByeBoobies! - Austin, TX

Ok, I fell like I could just copy and paste my...

Ok, I fell like I could just copy and paste my experience with so many other women on here. I got saline implants 8 years ago under the muscle. I really do not know the volume, but I barely fit into a DD bra. When I got the implants, I did not have the information available today. I also did not want these enormous breasts! My original PS said that he always does them a little bigger because all his patients say that is their biggest regret. I remember thinking to myself when he told me that - not me:( . I was uncomfortable from the beginning.

There are so many things I hate about having enormous breasts,from not being able to wear a bathing suit with out looking like a stripper to not being able to lay on my stomach, the list of inconveniences is lengthy. I am athletic and they always get in the way too.

I consulted with 3 plastic surgeons. They all wanted to replace and I was thinking, do you not hear me???? I do not want implants! They did not have good things to say about how I would look afterwards either. My husband thinks he is being supportive because after months of pain and begging he is paying for it (I am financially dependent on him), but all he says is that I will hate it, I will be flat or I will regret it because I will be so saggy. At this point, I really do not care.

I am going to post some before pics. My surgery is set for this Tuesday, Jan.15. Like so many women, I am so grateful for this site. I would not be able to got through with this using the information that is available with out it.

Ok, I had my procedure today. It was under local...

Ok, I had my procedure today. It was under local and it was not painful at all! I took a valium around 45 min before and that really helped a lot. I am wrapped up like a mummy and I have to say it is very strange! The incisions feel a little sore, but NOTHING like the original BA.

Ok, so I am a couple days out and feeling very...

Ok, so I am a couple days out and feeling very emotional at times. I just keep having to tell myself that it will take time to heal. My breasts feel and look soooo saggy. I guess that even though I did not like the outcome of my breast augmentation, I did not realize how much self confidence I had with my large breasts. That sounds so weird because I thought they were way too big, but having none makes me feel so blah. On the other hand, I went to a spin class today and that went fine, sweat and all. I am so grateful not to be recovering from an anesthetic hangover. I just slipped a gauze strip with neosporin under my sports bra and spun away!
I am having some weird air pocket noises on my left side when I move. This side was my "problem" side that the implant always slid over to the side on, so it does not surprise me. Has anyone else had this? It is not swishing, but like if you would try to make your armpit fart with your hand ( I wish I could think of another way to describe it) but internal. It happens more when I am wrapped in my gauze rather than just wearing the sports bra.

I will post pics soon, but I can now say that I am...

I will post pics soon, but I can now say that I am glad I did it and I am really liking the new look!

How are you now?
You look really great!!! Your 1 day post op pics are phenomenal!
Congrats! I think you look great!
Congtrats! I have 3ds and have been so tired of them for a very long time. The price you paid seems low. Was this a special deal? Makes me think I should go to Austin for my procedure. I am finding the costs in Big D to run $5000-7100 with no lift. I think I will just explant and wait a year to see how I look. i am in my 50's so will not be as perky as you are. You look natural and Are a nice size now. I bet you are thrilled.
Hi Barlnk, if you do decide to come to Austin, check in with Dr. Caridi at Westlake Plastic Surgery. They have a great website that even discusses out of town patients. He does a lot of removals in Austin. I had removal of 24 year old silicone implants - one was ruptured so I had to have the capsule removed also. My quote included possible removal of both capsules with general anthesia and was under $5K. He also doesn't believe in a lift until 6 months after surgery because you have to let them heal before you can decide how they will look - plus why get the scars if you don't have to. The mummy part is par for the course - compression is the key to possibly not needing a lift later.
Thanks! I did contact Dr. .caridi. Very nice office staff. But, today I decided on Dr. metcalf in OK. He specializes in breasts only which I like...plus he is less somewhat which does not hurt. He too said to wait six months or longer before deciding on a lift. He does an internal lift on all anyway but it is not the same as a full lift. I hope to have them out in just three weeks! So very excited. My girls are also probably ruptured he told me. But that is expected from some so old. Going to use just IV sedation too which I prefer. Anyway, bet you feel so much better without them! I really am very excited to finally be back to normal.
Yes I do!! Good Luck!! I am so glad he is of the same opinion about waiting for a lift because that is a lot of trauma to have happening all at once. I only had one that was ruptured, the other one hung in there - amazing since they were 24. LOL. Post when you are done so we know everything went good. And remember keep them in the bra while healing. :)
Will do! Thanks for the encouragement. But I am so ready.
.. I .live in Austin... I saw Dr. Robinson in Westlake because he takes my insurance (medicare will pay to remove ) but not lift,etc... but I'm scared; not sure if he's the one for me??... I don't think my supplement will pay unless they are on medicare's PS List......I'm 67, implants 30 yrs old.. implants older than most of you ladies Did you check out several PS in Austin before making your decision?
I went with Dr. Caridi because everyone I knew told me he was the best and my research backed it up. Once I went to see him I felt totally comfortable and canceled my consultation with my second choice. I also liked his private surgical suite because I don't like hospitals and the "super bug" germ hazards. Now, he doesn't take insurance so I paid up front because I wanted them out quickly. However, since I had silicone implants and one was ruptured, I found out that my insurance (Aetna) will reimburse me for the majority of it. I just have to submit the paperwork. I also agree that it is better to wait 6 months before considering a lift no matter our age because that's a lot of trauma happening to "the girls" at one time. :)
Oops forgot to mention that I don't know anything about Dr. Robison and couldn't find anything out on him either. Dr. Caridi is worth a visit even if it's just to confirm whether you want to proceed with Dr. Robison. :)
I think it is important for us to discuss price here. it matters to me a lot bc I am a cash patient, semi-retired but not yet eligible for medicare, no insurance. Check out dr. j Dan Metcalf in oK city also. Not that far to go from Texas. He is very experienced and specializes in breasts. He does not take insurance or carecredit. Dr. Caridi does take care credit. No interest six months or a yr. I think. But, Dr Metcalf was half his price for removal even if they are ruptured. With his price I do not need care credit or insurance. I emailed him photos to his office and he called me back astonishingly fast. They probably are ruptured he told me on a phone consult bc they are 20 yrs old and the type used was thin walled. He wants a copy of my mammogram and would like to know the implants sizes..heck if I recall, but will find that out. I really liked his phone manner. ha interesting to me they may be ruptured since I cannot tell and have not had any significant health issues. that I know of I should add! I will wait a year probably to lift....my guess is I will be fine with them as is. The DR. told me my nipple placement seems ok and said they will go through some changes within 6 months to a year. Like being pregnant he compared it to. I expect all the upper volume to be gone...a natural breast. i expect to be a sz B or small C. But, if they hang too low I will wear a push up bra. Lol at least I can buy one of those sexy ones at VS now. I hope to be explanted in three weeks...they require a $500 deposit to book. I am so excited. i called at least 8 surgeons, went on one consult only to find out she wanted $7100 to explant! at least I walked away with some good information. but, I decided to get prices over the phone before I did that again. Dr. Caridi is reasonable. If I had not found Dr. metcalf, I would be driving to Austin. But forget the Dallas/ft worth area if you want a decent price. Even my original surgeon in Plano wanted $5000. Heck, that is more than I paid to implant back then. Good luck. I imagine a lot of women over 50 have much larger breasts than they bargained for and are deciding to do this. I wish I had done this ten years ago! Honestly, wish I had never had implants! What we do to our bodies when young! Ugh. I have even decided to grow out my gray roots and get my mid- back length brown hair cut in a pixie. Something I could not pull off with F cup breasts( too pinheaded)! Talk about a total image change!
I agree price is important and I didn't get a sticker shock quote from Dr. Caridi. However, my main concerns were the surgeon's expertise, having an anesthesiologist on staff and the private surgical suite. I also didn't want to go out of town since I still work full time. I did get lucky price wise because I got a good Christmas bonus which I saved because I knew I was going to try to explant in January. Austin is 300 miles from Dallas so that would have definitely been a trek! I am glad you found a great surgeon in OK which is closer to Dallas. :)
thank all of you for the info....very helpful
Thank you for your posts....very helpful to me
I liked Dr. caridis price actually. A lot more reasonable than here in the DFW area. I could not find anything negative online about him either. OK is actually five hours for me...so further. I think when you pick a DR with their own surgical suite you save money. I really hope everyone reading this checks out their DR thoroughly and insists on board certified and lots of experience.
I got a quote from a Dr in Tulsa because I used to live there. The lowest I got was from Dr Ratliff for $800. I wanted to have my procedure where I live in case there was a problem afterward. That is just me though.
That is low. My quote is $1500 at DR. metcalf even if they are ruptured. Amazing how broad the price range is for removal! I am not lifting at first so the quote is just removal. IV sedation. Going to wait a year and see how they look. My surgery date is quick, the 8th of February! Gulp. But, anxious to be just me again! So here we go! I will post next week after it is done.
Hi Ladies, I think the price differences are based on whether you have saline or silicone implants and then whether they will be removed with a just a local or if you need IV Sedation or General Anesthesia. Mine was done by General Anesthesia because I had silicone implants that were possibly ruptured which would require a capsulectomy. My doctor doesn't do IV Sedation when a capsulectomy is possible for various reasons, the main ones being lack of control if any breathing difficulties occur and possible wake up or awareness of patient during the procedure. You don't want to be awake for a capsulectomy. :)
Which Dr. Metcalf is this? Just wondering on his entire name as I have some info on a Dr. Metcalf in Oklahoma. :)
Not sure if this is the same Dr. Metcalf - but please read article at FDA if you are considering using him. You would be able to tell if it is the same surgeon - I don't know his entire name so I can't attest to whether this article is about him or not. Link to the article is here: http://permanent.access.gpo.gov/lps1609/www.fda.gov/fdac/departs/696_irs.html May or may not be important to you. :)
Yes, apparently it is the same DR. He was using silicone still after the FDA had placed restrictions and prohibited them. So the FDA prosecuted him. Seems he paid a big penalty and got a yr. probation. Since of course, silicone is again very legal. The FDA strikes again. The implant manufacturer was legit and sold to other countries. So not as if he was implanting defective merchandise. The fact he still has his medical license speaks for itself. All I have found review wise on him has been positive also. He is explanting my silicone implants on Friday as well as performing a full capsulectomy under IV sedation. Same sedation I had for a tummy tuck years ago. Painless, easier recovery than with general. Local is used too and I probably won't remember anything. I am very excited to finally have these things out.
I work in the legal field so I checked after I saw the article. Always the first thing I do when something like that comes up - can't help it. :) Found out that the Oklahoma Medical Board suspended his license during that year and put him on probation until 2002. He's off now. In addition to serving 6 months, he got a year's probation and had to forefeit assets. It was FDA, Customs and IRS - yuck for him - they all went after him at the same time. I'm sure he learned his lesson. Anyway, that is why he is not a member of the ASPS or FACS. I posted only because safety is always my number one concern when surgery is involved and I only want the best for all of us ladies. You won't regret having them out though. I don't. Best Wishes!
Thanks for the concern. I have zero doubts about his skill level. He does only breast surgery and has over 40 yrs experience. I am no IRS or FDA fan and I know how they ruin lives. He is a member of the cosmetic breast society and that is what he specializes in. Again, he was not sued for malpractice nor do I find any bad reviews. In fact, I find tons of rave reviews. So, not holding his former skirmish with the govt. agencies against him. Plus he does have his medical license and I know how nit picky the medical board is! Might explain why he has not retired though. Good for me. :) I really like his manner and know I am in good hands. Are you thrilled about having yours out? Did you get a lift?
A friend today told me that Seton's Institute of Plastic Surgery accepts all insurance including Medicare and they have two surgeons that specialize in the breast. Their number is 877.977.3866. Hope this helps. :)