Botox May Have Ruined my Eyes to the Point of Requiring Surgery -Austin, TX

I went in to my Dermatologist's office almost 1...

I went in to my Dermatologist's office almost 1 year ago before a trip I had scheduled to visit an old boyfriend in Colorado (where I used to live). I had just turned 39 years old and my confidence levels were shaky as I had just divorced after a year long separation. Finding myself thrown back into the dating world as a single Mother of a young child I figured I needed to try my best to look as good as I can.

I have been blessed with beautiful skin, but I was noticing some minor crows feet forming around my eyes and some very mild fine lines on my forehead, but, what was bothering me most was my frown line in the middle of my eyes.

I went to see my Dermatologist who is part of a team of plastic surgeons and told him that I just wanted to have my frown line treated, but I also mentioned the mild lines on my forehead and crows feet. He said that they were running a "botox special" and suggested I treat my forehead and crows feet as well.

I did. That was 2 weeks prior to my trip. The day after the treatment my brows, - Dropped. My eyelids were completely swollen and not even visible. I knew it was very bad because when I put my mascara on my swollen lids flattened my long lashes out.

I frantically called my Dermatologist as my trip was coming up in 2 weeks. He said to come back in so he could 'fix it.' He injected More botox underneath my eyebrows and this did make my eyes appear to open more fully but I still hated the effect and felt like I just did not look like myself. It made me feel self conscious on my trip. I kept staring at my eyes and the only thing I could think of, was - "Thank God this is a temporary procedure and I can't wait to look like myself again."

I kept watiing...and waiting....and waiting to return to normal. I Never did.

I waited, - Patiently. I figured that for some reason the Botox was staying in my system longer. At 9 months, I was feeling very uneasy as I stared in the mirror. My eyelids were no longer swollen but they appeared flabby and creased unnaturally as I smiled. My eyes looked years Older and tired.

My 'crows feet', - Normal smile lines were uneven (Still are).

The worst of all though, - when I smiled my eyebrows Puffed Up, - the muscles above my eyebrows appear to be very enlarged. It gives my eyes what I could describe as a caveman appearance. My forehead used to be perfectly flat. My eyebrows look Deformed when I smile.

I made an appointment for an evaluation with the Dermatologist all the while thinking, wow, I guess the botox is still just in my system, how long will it take??

When I went in, to my utter shock and disbelief my administering dermatologist told me that my eye muscles had "atrophied" as a result of the botox and that he needed to administer More botox to fix it.

Atrophied? I could not believe it. I was crying in his office, telling him I just wanted my eyes to return to normal.

He said to trust him that he could fix it. He administered more Botox directly under my eyebrows again.

My eyelids swelled again and they are Still swollen 2 months later, - today. They are also Uneven as he administered the botox in different places underneath my brows because one brow was Protruding more than the other. Now the Other brow is protruding higher than the other and one eye appears more open when I smile as you can see in the photo.

As a result of this last treatment, my eyes also look like they are different shapes, and the lids are Swollen. I imagine that this only caused More damage to my already damaged eyelids which looked saggy and creased unevenly after the botox wore off last time. Only time will tell - another 6-7 months? How they will look finally after the effect has totally worn off. The enlarged muscles are as prominent as ever when I smile and I think that this is permanent - that my eyebrow muscles developed unnaturally as an effect of the botox changing the structure of how my natural eye muscles used to function.

I am only 40 years old and I feel that I will need some sort of surgery potentially to correct this damage.

My eyebrows even look slightly swollen when I am resting my face in a natural position. I am so afraid to see how my eyelids are going to look this time after the botox wears off.

I want to sue both the administering Dermatologists practice And Allergen. I was Never warned of these potentially devastating and permanent side-effects before this procedure and my doctor stressed as do all the doctors on this site, that the affects of botox are temporary. I am a Year Out from the original treatment and it has been Permanent for me!

I feel self conscious smiling big or laughing in front of friends. My Caveman eyebrows look like a true Deformity. I look Years Older!!!

Has anyone suffered through an experience like this with botox and had any luck getting their eyes to return to normal? I am depressed. I don't want to date. I barely want to leave the house. I am glued to the internet searching for answers all the time.

I have an appointment with an Occularplastic surgeon coming up and with the administering dermatologist who has agreed to give me my $$ back from the original botched procedure that caused this permanent? damage. I will also see the owner of the practice to show him my eyes.

How can doctors be pushing this treatment as safe and temporary??? It has Ruined the last year of my life!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else had enlarged 'caveman' eyebrow muscles as a result of Botox? Sagging, creasing eyelids? If so, did your eyes ever return to normal on their own or did you require surgery?

Please help! I am so upset and just besides myself with this.

The photo I posted was taken this morning smiling big like I would when I USED TO Laugh freely. :((
Westlake Dermatology

Inexperienced. Dr. Coleman is Not fit to administer Botox and I hope that he Stops until he is completely trained and never does this to another patient. I saw a Dr.Tanuj Nakra, an Occularplastic Surgeon in Austin, shortly after this "Fix" was administered 2 months ago. He says that he has never seen eye muscles atrophy from a 1 time botox procedure but he could see my that my eyebrows are drooping and my eyelids hooded. He said that my forehead should have Never been treated, that I am too young and my skin in too good of condition, - he said that this always causes the brows to drop in younger patients and gives the eyes the appearance of rapid aging! I was not able to show Dr. Nakra the puffing above my brows then, but now that this supposed "fix" is beginning to wear off at 2 months I can show him when I go back next week and he might agree that it is Atrophy - a Known side effect of Botox, but one that is never discussed prior to treatment. I was Never informed of these serious side-effects and would not have agreed to the procedure if I had been informed. If you Must get Botox please do so Only by an Occularplastic Surgeon (who specializes in the Eyes). As of now, I don't know if my eyes will return to normal. I might require plastic surgery to fix them and I can be sure my eyes will never look exactly like they did before. I wish so deeply that I had my natural lines back around my eyes when I smiled. Now I realize that taking the lines out of your face through toxins that freeze and potentially permanently impair and damage the fragile eye muscles is Ludicrous. I also should mention that after the initial treatment I felt sick. I believe the treatment was excessive, I don't know how much was administered, but it must have been a Lot and I do plan to find out on my next visit. After this treatment I got a sharp headache and felt dizzy. I had to go to sleep for several hours. I have also read that Botulism is another side effect and that people permanently lose the use of their limbs as a result of botox in some cases. There are a whole host of devastating side-effects that doctors should be required to disclose. I am thankful that this did not happen to me, but, my eyebrows are truly deformed and years have been added to my once beautiful eyes. I am deeply distressed and feeling anxiety over this. I should be dating and trying to rebuild my life after my divorce, - find love again. I can't do that because I hate the way I look as a result of this. Getting these botox treatments were one of the worst mistakes I have ever made in my life. Please - if you are considering botox, think again. This product should Not be legal.

Also: eat enough protein. I got flabby upper lids a couple of years ago despite facial exercises, and realised that I'd slipped into a routine of having just coffee for breakfast and lunch sometimes! Stupid, I know. Once I started having proper meals again, including eggs for breakfast, the problem was solved.
Hi Austen I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal! Once the Botox wears off somewhat, perhaps start some facial exercises? They have kept my face up where I want it for 8 years now. You need to re-build those muscles.
hi austin this has completely messed up my social life and pretty much all my life. yes this toxin definitely causes psychiatric symptoms in many people. but also looking like a freak and feeling like death for years on end, when you 'signed up' for a 2 or 3 month experience that was completely side effect free and totally reversible. yeah, thats depressing. none of these doctors who use this product on themselves, use as much, or do it as often, as they do it to their patients.. drs i know who use this use it maybe once a year or less.. drs who have tried it to see how long it really takes to go back to normal report it took 18 months before their face returned to pre=botox state. so they are honestly hugely overdosing us.. for the money.. thats all there is to it. they really dont know or understand what they are doign or how to use this product, and why should they care if it hurts us, there are plenty more beating down the door to pay for this.. they just act like its all our fault or we are crazy, and they are off the hook (or so they believe) many, many more people need to start taking legal action on the basis of simply not being correctly or adequatley warned of side effects. there was nothing on my consent form about permanent cosmetic damage or being sick for years. or life changing damage to my health. or the fact that botulinum works by affecting the neurotransmitters. this is something all patients should be informed about. yet this is exactly what happened. i would never have done this if i wasnt repeatedly assured there was literally no risk of meaningful side effects.. that any side effect if it occurred was ALWAYS 'mild and tranistory' (two years and counting is not transitiory or mild) and that the effects ALWAYS completely went away in 2 or 3 months. well very oboiusly all that stuff was hugely misleading and inaccurate and we were sold something under totaly false pretenses and the more poeple who take legal on this basis the sooner they will be forced to stop promoting these dangerous falsehoods to the public. so i will find you the info and get it to you ok. as far as the damage yes it comes and goes even still. im also wearing bangs and trying not to think about it, but it literally impacts me constatnly becuase its so incredibly unnerving to have your face constantly and unpredictably changing all the time, even after 2 years, and you have no idea where its going to end up. its unbelievably painful and i cannot bleieve my dr actually recommended this as a treatment for =mild= tension headaches. in this case the risk was nowhere near worth the 'benefits' (there have been NO benefits) and its pathetic and ridiculouis that this is allowed to be promoted as a 'cure' for headaches when it has absolultey destroyed my health and when i now suffer from pretty much non stop constant headaches. its just a huge scam so i really hope the class action goes somewhere this stuff is dangerously misrepresented by those who are making money off it. it makes me angry when drs are so cavalier about this damage. the next time some dr tells you it will 'definitely' go away ask him WHEN. if they cant tell you when, or how, or any details, they are just blowing smoke and have no idea what they are talkign about. they are just saying that to put you off, avoid liability, and continue the falsehood that this 'always goes away' press them for details and you will realize they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. ask them to give you a time line. ask them -exactly- what you can expect, when it will be ALL better and normal, exactly when, and exactly what you have to do to get it there.. and they will stare at their shoes and babble cause truth is they have no answer to any of those questions. this has been terribly depressing and afffected my entire life and my mental health and my physical health very severely. i do bleieve there is possibility of improvment, i do -not- believe anything any dr tells me about it at this point. seeing doctors is a huge waste of money becuase honestly they simply have no idea how this stuff works. and, they wont admit that, so trying to get help from most of them is probably actually dangerous. i keep thinking there must be something some dr can do to fix it, but then when i remember that i was beautiful, healthy and normal before, and how much the doctor caused terrible illness and deformities, i really see no reason to trust any dr to competently fix this! whose to say they just wont make it worse again, what do they care, its obvoiusly they simply dont care. and they totally dont know what they are doing when it comes to this stuff. next time some dr tells you it will 'definitely ' get better - ask HIM WHEN. talk soon ok take care. we will improve just not with any help from the 'medical establishment' im afraid.

So sorry to hear what your going through, I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same and unfortunately it's never got any easier for me, i feel like ive ruined my face and im only 31!! I had a nurse (not doctor) inject me underneath my eyes! For fine Lines on cheeks when i smiled, i was only 27!! She should have talked me out of it..they werent wrinkles!! She only did it under one eye as I bruised. My whole face looked uneven when I smiled! I looked so weird and it lasted 6 months. I now have tear troughs under my eyes, which I never had before and it's aged me by about 10 years! I always get told I look nearer 40 than 30! I hate my face now if I could afford it I'd have surgery. It's made me become completely obsessed with how I look, I wish I'd never had it! I hope your face returns to Normal it's a living nightmare.

I am SO Sorry to hear this! Have you sought legal care/assistance? - You Should. The only Ocular Plastic surgeon I have spoken with so far explained to me just day before yesterday that Botox is Not a benign treatment, - that it is strong enough and if injected incorrectly, it can literally "Blow Out" muscles and groups of muscles for up to 2 or more years! I spoke with Dr. Kenneth Steinsapir's medical assistant Faith about what I'm experiencing in detail on the phone. She seems extremely knowledgeable and after viewing my photos they both feel that I have 're-trained' my eye muscles according to the botox treatments that were administered entirely incorrectly. I know I look Older too. I used to look 5 years Younger but now I feel that I look my age. There are indentations in my forehead and all kinds of odd lines and creases forming as well as the severe swelled muscles above my eyebrows due to this. I am flying out to Beverly HIlls CA to meet with this doctor. They feel Strongly that I will Not require surgery, please don't let anyone tell you that you do. I Wish I was 10 years younger, like you. Your skin should heal faster than mine most likely because you are so young and you have more collagen in your skin. I think your eyes will go back to normal on there own, - Eventually. I am going to seek treatment for mine though. If you see someone, see a very reputable Ocular Plastic surgeon and also seek legal care and compensation for what has happened to you. I plan to.
oh by the way: i now have personally been in contact with 2 people who have successfully sued. one is very well known and is a famous case. this was several years ago. the other is recent and her case was settled out of court by the makers of botox. she has posted here on this forum in the past. she 'won' (or they settled) as her case was based on "false advertising" and non disclosure of risk.. she claimed they did not inform her of the risks. (true of all of us) it was on this basis she won her case, or at least, she -was- paid a settlement by the makers of botox. this happened only recently. i can put you in touch with her if you wish. she knows someone who wants to do a class action. she has been very sick for several years now.
I am so sorry!! Did you get any answers from your consult?

Oh wow, I'm sorry you are having to go through with all of this.  Do you remember how many units of Botox were originally injected?  Just curious.   I'm glad you posted your experience here, there are lots of people in our Community who are full of compassion and support.  I hope you keep us posted on your upcoming Occularplastic appointment.

I haven't heard back from 2 of the 3 women who I PM-ed who posted on the forum a year and 3 years ago. I hope to hear back from them because it seems that their experiences were similar to mine and I want to know whether or not their eyes/faces ever returned to normal or required surgery. I would really love to hear from anyone and everyone in this regard. I'm disappointed that yours is the only comment I've received so far. I hope I'll hear from more people. Thanks.

Try commenting on other people's reviews and in the forums, you can refer them back to your review too.  The more active you are on the site the more people will click to your profile and read your review.  Give it time, your review was just published.  But I hope some of the Botox ladies and gents start commenting here soon!

Here is a good forum post full of Community Members you might like to connect with:     Did you get droopy eyes after Botox?

Thanks, is there any way that I could create forum posts to ask, Did you get enlarged eyebrow muscles as a result of botox and if so, did they go back to normal? Did you get saggy, creased eyelids as a result of botox (after it wore off) and did your eyes ever return to normal? It seems that my issues are far more complicated and long-lasting than many that I have read on here. I am desperate for solutions 1 year post op, I want to look like myself again, just so fearful that my eyes are permanently damaged/deformed as a result. My eyebrows literally look deformed when I smile. I also have indentations (dents) in my temples. My administering Dermatologist clearly used not only an entirely incorrect technique on someone of my age (I was told by my occularplastic surgeon that my forehead should have Never been treated) as it caused the brows to drop and gives the appearance of 'rapid eye aging' was what he said! But I believe that he used Way too much which caused my face to freeze for Months and months causing muscle atrophy, and their botox solution might also not be pure? and/or mixed improperly. I am searching for answers. Getting no where really. :(( I have lots more doctors to see. Wow. What a nightmare! Thanks so much for you help.
I recently had my first botox treatment and have experienced the same thing with my eyelids. My right one only. I also have severe creasing. It makes my eyes look heavy. I am so mad for trying this when I was hesitant in the first place. I sure hope it isn't permanent.

Yes you sure can!  If you want to do it yourself you can click here or the link below to be directed to the Botox forum, then click on the blue "Post to Forum" button.  Or I can add it for you, just let me know.

It seems not to be in most cases, but, I know that the administering doctor injected a Lot of botox into my face, - his technique, the amount of botox used, and, possibly the potency of the botox I'm guessing? where all wrong and literally froze my face for months. I'm trying to get all the details on the exact amounts that were used, etc. It must have been A Lot. I had never used it before, and he charged me 350 and told me that it was a 1/2 off special, I had no knowledge on pricing, etc. but 350 seems to be the going rate, for botox that is Not on sale according to this site, so perhaps he injected me with Double the amount, just to make the $$. How very sad, and he has caused me deep distress and a year of suffering with a disfigured appearance as a result of that first injection. He is a Dermatologist at a Huge practice, that looks impressive. DO NOT ever have this done again by anyone who is not a board certified Ocularplastic Surgeon. That is who I am seeing now for help, and, they Know the Eyes. I would never do it again Period, however. I do not believe it is safe, - it is Toxic and their list of side effects include Death. No, no thanks, Not that vain. I had No Idea. NEVER AGAIN. :((
Thank you. I have posted 3 topics. I hope I get some feedback. Thanks so much, you have been very helpful.
i am so sorry this nightmare has happened to you. tonight i went a ladies night out at a dermatologist office.An RN does the botex/juvederm injections and i almost bought a package.yet I felt I needed to do some research.why did i ever think it was ok for a RN to do them when a DR should be doing this?
hi austin.. we talked a few months ago and then i lost internet access for several months! i got it fixed but really felt bad the whole time i couldnt continue our conversation... i thought about you a lot. (also to be honest i really actually cant stand this site and hate coming here i find it really annoying) that being said i just wanted to answer your questions a bit more and tel you ive been thinking about you.. im so glad you are seeing a good eye dr and would be interested to hear what happens. im sure ive told you im wearing tri-focals now. my vision is very different and thats interesting to hear at least one doctor be honest about this stuff. thats pretty rare. i am sad to say that after more than two years my face is still not moving normally and it has obviously suffered great damage. im sorry to say this because i want to be reassuring, however, i feel its important for people who come here later and read this to understand, and i hope its become crystal clear from reading these -many- many posts now, from many many people, and now starting to hear from more and more doctors who are finally being honest, that the effects of this toxin are severe, long lasting, and definitely do -not- remotely 'always' go away. this should be obvoius to anyone reading this, and anytime a dr tells anyone different, they are simply not telling the truth... im sorry but this must be known. im not saying you will not get better and im not saying this to be depressing. honeslty i really dont need to say anything. there must be dozens of women here goign through the same thing, if not hundreds at this point. this should speak for itself at this point. there are definitely many many far superior sites to this one as far as emotoinal support, i only use this site now to refer attorneys to, this site is very very good for that, considering the huge amount of stories here of people who have permanent damage to their looks and health and how well its documented with photos and updates. so basically i hope that you do get better, i can say i am healing however, i am far from normal at more than two years, this has been the thing that ive most regretted doing in my life, and if my dr and the medical community had been honest about disclosing the risks instead of lying, it is somethign i would never ever have done or considered. this is the bottom line and there is nothing more that needs to be said really. however, since we are all still stuck suffering with this i do hope that your eye dr is able to help you and if he tells you anymore useful (and true) information please post it becuase the other doctors will never admit this stuff until more and more doctors do and it just becomes impossible to pretend it isnt happening anymore.... please take care and hope you are doing well. i dont say this stuff to be negative but becuase, people researching this in the future need to see it.
Hi Anne, I'm just seeing your message. There has been absolutely no improvement to my eyes, they look almost exactly as they did 4 months past the 'fix'. I decided to hold off on going to LA to see the specialist because I know it will be a very expensive trip. I want to give my eyes/face several more months to see if there is any improvement. I have an appointment with Dr. Nakra here in Austin tomorrow, he's the local ocular plastic surgeon I'm working with and he Insists that my eyes and enlarged eyebrows will turn back to normal. Well, he might be a little surprised tomorrow I'm guessing when he sees that there has been absolutely no improvement Still. I'm so saddened to hear that your face is still not back to normal at 2 years. Before I got this "fix" Dr. Coleman administered to try to get my eyebrow muscles to go down, - he said that they had Atrophied, as a result of the botox, but, Hypertrophied would actually be the correct term. Anyway, the swollen eyelids had subsided but I was left with uneven, wrinkled/creasing eyelids when the swelling was totally down at 9 months. He obviously was not as concerned with this as he was with my enlarged eyebrows. It's all been a Nightmare and I am suffering from depression still as a result. My eyes were by far my best feature, - they were just beautiful almond shaped eyes, - virtually wrinkle free and looked striking with or without makeup. I can't even dream of leaving the house without heavy eye-makeup on now. I have tried to not think of it so much the last couple of months, I have not been back to Dr. Coleman, or, collected the $350 Westlake Dermatology says they'll refund (the amt I paid for this Nightmare), but, I can't collect it because they want me to sign a release form to do so. Can you please PM me the names of any attorneys that you might recommend? No one should have to suffer through this and these treatments should not be administered so thoughtlessly. There was Nothing wrong with my face previously. I only was going to get the minor line treated between my eyes and he recommended that I do my forehead and crows feet and I've experienced all this pain and 14 months so far of irreversible damage. My vision was almost perfect prior to this, I think it's been slightly affected as well. I think my depression is related to the way I look now and all I've had to deal with, but, I've read on other forums that botox can cause depression/anxiety in some people as well. I don't feel like the same person I was before the treatments, - and that's been caused by the botox, in one sense or another. Westlake Dermatology should be ashamed of themselves for doing this to me. I read on their website how they literally froze one woman's face for 5 months she said, - and charged her $850.00. She said that she was beside herself and that she had gone in seeking a 'natural look.' I don't even know the cc #'s that were administered, they've given me the run around, want me to sign confusing forms to release my medical records, etc. I really Should have probably contacted a legal professional already. I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket to fly to LA to see the specialist. It's been 14 months of living this way, - it's hard to imagine this will subside when my eyebrows look so pronounced still, swollen. Freakish. Tomorrow when I see Dr. Nakra I hope he can give me some answers, but, so far, he has not been able to, - only said that I'll be a 'case study' for botox if my face does not return to normal. That doesn't make me feel any better!!!!! Has your face improved At All in 2 years??? I'd really like to see a photo of your eyebrows, do they look anything like mine? Please PM me and/or write here, whatever you prefer. I hope that one day, we will both look and *feel like we did before. My dating life is not what it used to be, neither is my social life, I'm constantly trying to hide my grotesque (deformed)! looking eyebrows with my bangs and I feel self-conscious when I laugh. My swollen/uneven eyelids also make me look years older. Everything is just the same. No improvements. Thanks for thinking of me. I'm wishing you well too and I'd really like to hear more about what specifically you are still experiencing at 2 years out. Thanks so much! Sending Hugs.