Tummy Tuck with Lipo of Flanks and Upper Thighs - In 2 Days! - Austin, TX

I am having my procedure in 2 days - a tt with...

I am having my procedure in 2 days - a tt with lipo of flanks and upper thighs in addition to an umbilical hernia repair. I have three kids (16,13,4). I am in great health and am hoping that recovery isn't too difficult. I will have help from my husband and mother-in-law for a week (love them!). I made a trip to Costco to load up the freezer, and have been cleaning and doing laundry all week. Can't wait to see my new tummy and be comfortable in my clothes again!

I am now 9 days out and recovery has been pretty...

I am now 9 days out and recovery has been pretty much as expected - slow but steady. I still have the one drain in that I hope to have taken out in 3 days or less (I have to call with a drainage output report in the a.m.). I am almost standing completely up straight! Sleeping has been a little off since I decreased my pain meds and moved over to extra strength tylenol. From day one, I slept in my own bed with plenty of pillows. I am not in the "jacknife" position anymore, but continue to sleep on my back with a few pillows under my knees. Challenges so far: finding the right balance between getting enough walking around time and not overdoing it, and letting other people do things for me. Things that have been helpful: a memory foam pillow that I know for sure saved my back, having my arms and legs do the work my abs would have otherwise, taking Phillips MOM chewable tablets each morning after my surgery (no problems there AT ALL!), drinking tons of water (regular, Smart and Vitamin, and being as close to my ideal weight as possible.

One thing I found interesting that wasn't discussed with my ps before surgery was the lipo he did above my belly button. When I was researching this procedure, I heard complaints about pooches above the belly button long-term. My ps did the lipo to prevent this from happening because often times it is really difficult to get the muscles as tight there as the lower abs. I thought that was GENIUS and really appreciate the time and effort he took there.

11 Days post surgery - Only drain taken out...

11 Days post surgery - Only drain taken out yesterday. Taking Aleve for pain - working like a charm. Feeling great and doing light mom duty! Must admit, the incision was pretty hard to look at when they took the tape off. It is still pretty tender. I know it will continue to evolve over the next year. Fortunately, I have pale skin and my scars heal white/silvery. My ps had me change to a girdle type garment (just a tube with a tummy panel). I put on a pair of regular shorts today and they were too big at the waist - woo hoo!

Austin Plastic Surgeon

Highly recommended (from another surgeon). Very professional and took their time to make sure I was comfortable and had all of my questions answered. Did an AWESOME job.

Hi Jan
I found your story and had to write bc I too had a hernia repair. I am finding that my belly button area is still so very sore at 5 weeks post op. I did not have a new belly button created with my tt, just the old one pulled down. And like you, my muscles were very seperated, but your new belly looks gorgeous! I'm not happy with mine at all, but nothing I can do about it now. Everyone keeps saying it will get better, so we shall see. I was wondering if you had a lot of pain in the umbilical region, and if so, how long it lasted. Thanks!
I am 4 months out and am not experiencing any belly button pain. Right now, I am still numb in the abs and tender at the lipo sites. You are still so early in your recovery that I would expect you still have some tenderness and discomfort. I don't remember having much pain in my belly button region, but I was still very tender, swollen and sore at five weeks. If I were you, I would give it more time, but definately talk to your surgeon about it at the next appt. Hope this helps and thanks so much for the complement!
I am having a great week so far. I am even going without my compression garment today. I still have a little swelling, but it has lessened considerably and I am feeling a lot more comfortable. My abs feel great, but I guess I had no idea the lipo would still be so tender and numb at this point (he didn't even take that much fat out)! When I first started thinking about having this surgery, it didn't even cross my mind that there would be lipo involved, but I am glad it was done. It smoothed out my back side and pulled in my waistline. I have never had an hour glass figure, but now I do!

Hurray!!!  Yes I know I also love my hour glass figure.  I use to hate my hips but have learned to love them now.

I am so happy you are doing so well.  So how soon before you go and do the bikini shopping!!
Ha! I live in Texas, so you know I could get a lot of use out of a bikini! We'll see, I am more of the sporty tankini type. I am just excited about being able to were a swimsuit and not look pregnant! lol!

LOL - oh I hear ya!  Been there myself.  I actually love tankinis.
I am 4 1/2 weeks out and am experiencing all of that fun swelling I read about prior to my surgery! It's not horrible, it's just there, so I deal with it. My body is putting a lot of effort into healing itself, and the swelling is just a by-product of that. So far, I am happy with my results and have noticed a big change in how my clothes fit and how I feel in them. A tip my p.s. gave me is at night time put a dry wash cloth in between my tummy and compression garmet to provide a little more support while I sleep. I wake up with a flat tummy, but as the day goes by I begin to swell - mostly above my incision line. I did my first real work out today - 30 minutes on the reclining excercise bike and about 20 minutes of arm weights. At my last check up, my incision had healed enough that I could begin putting some kind of cream on it if I wanted. I decided not to go crazy with all types of scar treatments, but I did find a nice cream with vitamin E, aloe, collagen and elastin in it. I've been rubbing that on the incision sight after my shower each morning. I am pretty much at peace with the scar. I knew going in that there would be one, and mine is very low and covered by anything I wear. My main goal with all of this was to feel and look better in my clothes, and I feel like I achieved that - even with all the swelling! My p.s. said I will continue to see improvement as the swelling goes away. Can't wait to see how my body continues to heal itself and how my body changes over the next few months.

You will definitely notice nice changes over the next few months.  You have a really great and positive attitude which really helps in this process.  Nobody ever said that it would be easy :)

That is a great idea with the wash cloth at night..I never thought of that.
Thanks! I am anxiously awaiting that magic time frame (three months post surgery) that I've heard is a real turning point. I had a busy weekend, so my swelling is alive and well today - ugh! The plan is to take it as easy as possible today.

Yep just get those feet up and ice that tummy.  Just don't put anything directly on the skin.  Yesterday was the first day I did not swell after cleaning my house all day!  Yahoo it only took me seven months to get there.  So I am proof that it does get better :)
I tried putting ice on my stomach yesterday for the first time (frozen peas!). I've been working out (cardio and weights only) and really felt it on my upper abs. It felt soooooo good! I am only 6 1/2 weeks out from my surgery, and look forward to the day the swelling is gone. Still, any swelling I have now doesn't even compare to the horrible tummy I had before the surgery. I wouldn't change a thing - extremely happy with my new tummy!

Hurray!  Hang on because you will see improvement month after month.  I am glad you are so happy with your results.   How did the ice feel on the tummy?
The ice feels great. I feel the most uncomfortable in the evenings, so I ice my tummy while I'm watching TV. I had lipo done in addition to the tuck and I've read that the lipo swelling lasts a little longer. I feel the effects of the lipo mostly in my hips and bottom (!). It's so funny, I've never had much of a bottom, but now with the swelling, I do!

Oh I am so glad the ice is comforting for you!  I loved it when I was at that point.  Yes. the afternoons and evenings are horrible for the swelling.

I also had the lipo and the areas never really bruised but boy were they sore.  My outer thighs were the worst.  That eased up at about 6 weeks.

I know what you mean about the bottom...I have a flat but wide booty and it was pretty puffy after surgery.

Nice update JanDan!  Glad to hear that your are doing so well and happy with your results.  You are only going to get better and better each week from here on out.   Will you be posting before and after pics?  Always fun to see the changes.  Congratulations.
Thanks! I plan on posting pics after the swelling goes down and standing 100% up straight. Almost there!

Sounds great - can't wait to see them.

JanDan - I know others near you will ask, but are you comfortable sharing the name of your plastic surgeon?

Hey! Thanks for all the well wishes! So far, so good. I do have pain (tenderness), but the meds help a lot. I make sure I take them on time every dose. My appetite has been light, but is improving. I just eat very small meals. I was lucky and didn't suffer with nausea (sp?). I had my first post op appt. today and they took out the pain pump. Everything looked great and I know it will improve after the swelling goes down. I still have a drain that will be in for probably another week. I forgot to give you my stats earlier: I am 42 years old, 5'6" and weighed in at 129 lbs. the morning of surgery. The surgery took FOUR hours! No complications, I think he was just taking his time making me a cute belly button! He took 1 1/2 lbs. of skin off me and said my muscles were really separated (brought them in about 5-6 inches). My waist looks awesome so far and I can't wait until I can stand up straight to see my true profile!

You're 3 days out. Thinking about you and wondering how you're doing!

Good luck!! You'll do great! I had mine 2 wks. ago I am doing better thank I thought. Tips-Stay on top of your meds and keep a positive outlook.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am now 9 days out and feel pretty good. What were you feeling like at two weeks? I am hoping at that point, I can get back to at least some of my everyday routine.
It has been 25 days and I am barely beginning to feel like myself. I am completely out of any pain meds including tylenol, yeah!!. I am doing some house work but nothing strenuous. The only set back is feeling exausted after walking or standing for a while my PS said that is normal and that is a common complaint so I guess I'll need to take a daily nap:)continue doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are doing great! It will get better after the last drain is out.

Teachr,

Be patient and go easy on yourself.  It is a long and hard process to get through.  Try my 3/2 method for activity.  I could be up for about three hours and then I would hit a wall.  So then I would have to rest for two hours.

It will improve a bit each week.  Listen to your body and give it the rest it needs.
Thanks for the info. I did get my only drain out yesterday (10 days post surgery). That was HUGE. I feel so much better not having to have that hanging off me. While I was at my appt. I needed to be able to drive this week, so I asked my ps what I could take for pain because the Extra strength Tylenol was doing nothing for me. He recommended Aleve. I took two pills this morning and I feel great. I can take another dose at bedtime. Still need a daily nap, but am slowly getting back into the swing of things. Try the Aleve!