Dysport - Impairing Speech and Smile

Pros: less expensive than Botox, smoothed out...

Pros: less expensive than Botox, smoothed out wrinkles, produced a more youthful appearance, helped decrease a natural frown.

Cons: Side effects- Facial paralysis in mouth, smile and speech effected

I received 30 units of Dysport in my chin two weeks ago to reduce frown lines and to contour areas around my mouth. Overall it did help, but I am experiencing some major side effects and need to know if I will overcome them. My lower lip is somewhat paralyzed- and this is effecting my speech, I cannot smile normally, and other little things are effected, like biting into something, spitting etc. My doctor advised that this will get better- within the next MONTH. I am not happy about this and I am worried that it will stay like this until the Dysport wears off. Please help!

NOt sure if I would recommend - this depends on if the side effects I am experiencing wears off.

I have had Dysport injected and found that one side of my mouth is frozen and one eye drooped, if I over work the affected muscles as in excercise will the effects wear off sooner?
The muscles of the face are small and highly specialized. It takes long time of specialization and expertise to know these muscles, their function, and their anatomy to manipulate them with a potent drug like Botox and Dysport. The most important part is to choose your doctor carefully and not accept any injector with a syringe and little knowledge of the anatomy. Injectable safety is a priority to the American society of Asthetic plastic Surgery.
I hope you will recover sooner than the 5 months.
I couldn't agree more. It takes a very in-depth knowledge of facial anatomy along with the proper amounts of a neurotixin (Botox/Dysport) to correctly adjust lower facial muscle issues.
mine took about a month to get better. good luck.

I had dysport a week ago in my chin to correct dimpling and my habit of grimacing using those muscles. After 24 hours, my lower lip wouldn't move. I can smile only with my mouth closed. If I laugh or try to smile regularly I looked deformed and like a stroke victim. Can't eat apples or ice cream cones. It's affected my romance too, as you can imagine. Please give me hope this will return to normal faster than the 5 months estimated. My smile was one of the best things about my face, and it's gone!

There's always a change it will go back to normal faster than the estimated time it's supposed to wear off, but just concentrate on the fact that you WILL get it back eventually- and it's not permanent. I was in the EXACT same situation as you.
It has gotten better.. it's been five months. I have majority of my smile back, it's still a little off though. And when I smile there are dimples in my chin like the Dysport isn't distributed evenly or something. I am hopeful that I will be back to my normal self soon. At first I was VERY distressed about this, but like other handicaps I got used to it and tried to forget about it- because there was nothing I could do. That's all you really CAN do. I am DEFINITELY not using Dysport ever again.
i am wondering if yours ever got any better?
i experienced the same thing with dysport. When i smile real big or get tickled, my chin juts backwards and my bottom lip goes over my teeth, my top teeth come forward and i looke retarded and i can't talk correctly. I just had it done in my chin 2 weeks ago. i am so worried that it will be permanent, that maybe it is nerve damage. I can't spit well or bite anything big either, but my lip does not feel numb.
There are always risks involved when injecting Botox, especially in the lower half of the face (mid chin and DOA). The effects that you are experiencing will wear off between 1-5 months.
The Dysport has affected some of the small muscles that control the lower lip. The effect can last from one month to 5 months. it is reversible with time