Horrible Result with Chin Reduction

I totally regret my chin reduction. It looks worse...

I totally regret my chin reduction. It looks worse than before, with a very elongated looking face, pointy chin. Horrible. I could cry every time I look in the mirror.

I trusted my doctor because he had done my "nose-job" two years ago and it turned out to be good. This time I feel like he really messed up. He said the surgery was much less complicated than the nose job and I admit there was no pain afterwards and a fast recovery. But for this kind of surgery I think it is very important to find a doctor who has the experience to do them right. Most doctors don't perform this kind of operation too often, thus it doesn't matter if it is only a "minor" surgery. If they have no practice they can still mess it up.

I have no idea what to do now. I literally feel like my life has come to an end everytime I look in the mirror.

thank you for replying. i see. i will keep all this in mind. thank you again.
hi, sorry to bother you, i know it's been years. how are things going? i'm still interested in this (and not the genioplasty some doctors keep suggesting) because i'm ok with having a recessed chin. i just want to reduce vertical length by about a centimeter. is that how much you had taken out? what area exactly was removed? thank you.
Well I must say that I can barely tell a difference. There might be a subtle difference and it looks okay as long as I don't smile. I hate smiling in pictures because it makes my chin look really "pointy". The shaved off part of the chin bone, but there is no way it was a whole centimeter. Don't expect that much. I am sure that is not possible. I also had a lower jaw surgery many many many years ago and they removed 7 millimeters. It was a major surgery that required a one week long hospital stay and much dental prep work in order to get my teeth in line for after the surgery. So I have had a lot of work done on my jaw and chin already and must say that the results have always been very subtle. Looking back at pictures from 20 years ago before I had anything done, I can now see the difference clearly. It's just that we expect so much from these surgeries and we shouldn't. They don't change the way we look really.
I had a chin and jaw reduction done in Seoul less than 2 weeks ago. If u wanna do chin or jaw surgeries, Seoul is the place to be because it is relatively common there and extremely uncommon in most other countries.
What about just a chin reduction? I actually lived in Korea for several years. I know that they value the "v shape" of a face--they actually idealize a pointy little chin--and that they often get Botox injections in the sides of their jaws to narrow them. I would imagine a lot of jaw reduction and narrowing surgery, but I never heard of them doing something for just a chin: I personally have a normal jawline but the chin protrudes. I remember noticing that with my very European facial features, I had the exact opposite complaints of a lot of Koreans. Have you found that they do vertical chin reduction (only) surgeries as well as what you had?
I'm quite sure that Korean surgeons can do vertical chin reduction surgery only. It's quite incredible what they're able to do. They can significantly reduce the chin width, or change chin length, or change the chin location (i.e. to correct an underbite or overbite). They can even do all 3 of these things in the same surgery. I'd recommend u email some good Korean hospitals to check about the procedure and cost. There are internet forums with people discussing different Korean hospitals, so u can read and find out more :)
hi who was your docotor if u dont mine telling us
hi, glad to hear that the swelling went away and you have good results. i am planning to have this surgery done because it has come to my attention that my chin might be considered long vertically. i hear they have to do some osteotomy and remove a wedge from the center rather than shaving it down from the bottom. is this what you had done? it would be nice to have a smaller pointy chin because it's very round now. it is also recessive. seems like chin reduction is a bit uncommon and i'm having trouble finding reviews about it. would be wonderful to hear more about your story.
I had a very elongated chin. And it is still very pointy at this point especially when I smile. I looked at some before and after profile pictures of me and must say I can see a small difference. But overall I am not completely satisfied with this surgery. Thank god it is not swollen anymore. If you decide to get this surgery pick someone who has experience and don't get freaked out if your chin looks bigger after the surgery than before. It takes at least a month for the swelling to go down. Good luck.
I am so relieved to read that yopur shin went down, I am having the same problem, my face looks a mile long and my chin loks like Jay Lenos! God I pray it goes down. How do you look now?
It has been a little bit over a year and I did go back for a "touch up" procedure last fall, where he basically removed some of the extra skin from underneath my chin to give it a tighter look. Well... it didn't help much.

Looking back on it now...it wasn't worth it. I don't think my chin looks much better than before, nor does it look worse. The only memory I have is a pretty visible scar under my chin now.
Hey, how are your results after the long recovery? Do you think doing the chin reduction was worth it? I am not too sure if I really want to do the surgery and I have a big jaw -.-
How do you feel about the surgery now? Did you have the bone-burring style of reduction? I have a vertically long chin that looks like an over-sized implant, and am very interested in getting the same procedure (but very nervous!).
It started to look better after about 2 weeks but overall it took at least one month for the swelling to go down completely. With this kind of surgery you don't feel like you have had anything done because most people aren't in any physical pain afterwards so when you see all this swelling it can really freak you out at first.
Out of fairness I must say, now that the swelling has gone done, it is not as bad anymore as it was after the surgery. I still don't see a difference to what I looked like before but at least I am back to my old looks. Of course with a scar under my chin. By I can look at myself again without having to cry.
How long did it take for your swelling to go away?
Hi SilviaTX, how are doing now? Hope the scar faded a bit or is less visible. I am wondering if your skin on your chin still feels less tight & do you think it's because the surgeon didn't shorten and reattach the soft tissues to the reduced chin bone properly?