Back Lipo: 37 Years Old, 2 Kids, Has Lost over 80 Lbs. - Austell, GA

I went to Georgia Plastic and Reconstructive...

I went to Georgia Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Austell, GA. to have liposuction of my back (bra roll, flanks, love handles). I chose Georgia Plastic because of the stellar credentials and awards of the chief doctor, Dr. Stanley Okoro that were detailed on their website. However, I ended up consulting with and having my procedure done by the other doctor who practice there. Her name is Dr. Ruth Celestin. I figured by association, she would be just as good as him. THE PROCEDURE: The procedure its self turned out to be ------- THE ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!! ------I was supposed to be sedated by I.V. Anesthesia. It was on my paperwork and thoroughly discussed with me. However, due to an office "miscommunication" on their part, I was only given a much milder anesthetic consisting of a few pills (oral sedation) which did not work at ALL. I was told I woudn't feel or remember the procedure. ON THE CONTRARY I remembered and felt everything. I felt her making incisions with the scalpel, and the tortuous painful motions of the cannula moving and jabbing across me. recounting the experience exhausts me, but it has kept me up many nights since then. I've been waking up wet (from cold sweat and night terrors). And all damn day my mind is flooded with instant replays of the experience. I wanted to make a formal complaint of medical negligence. They all met with me to discuss and help resolve my grievance and offered me a FREE REVISION as long as I paid the $1500 for the anesthesia doctor.
----- As far as results go, I can see a difference but not nearly as significant as I expected or could have been done. But due to my feeling every move she made-- Dr. Celestin chose at one point not to suction any more because she knew she was torturing me. I LATER ASKED why 700cc's was removed from one side but only 700cc's from my other side. She said, "Well, no body is really symmetric anyway." My BEFORE pics will show that my back was Symmetric, whereas now there is a noticeable difference in my left and right sides. I trust as they told me that after swelling decreases we should see what the true results are about 3 months post-op. Yes, I am still seeing her for my post-op care but I have to admit I'm angry that after signing nearly 40 pages of paperwork that THEY gave me the wrong type of anesthesia -- which turned out to be as effective as NO ANESTHESIA.

You should probably get a lawyer about this or Are you going to go back for the re-do? Do you have PTSD from this? Can you post some pics? It's sad to know that mistakes like this happen. At least it didn't result in missing limbs or death - doctors have done worse but For all your trouble I hope you can at least get the look you were hoping for. Take care and stay positive.
Well, a lot of people keep saying I should get a lawyer - even my cousin who is also a Physician. After more swelling goes down I will decide about that but I rather not. I don't know if I have PTSD but I did have to fight off an anxiety attack at my last appointment. Not so sure why. I just get so tense when I go there now. Even if I was happy before I got there I start feeling dark and moody when I am there. Yes I will post some pics. and YES its a blessing that nothing worse happened. I have to thank God anyhow and I am also thankful for the amount of results I have at this point. My formerly flabby/droopy back is already much better looking.
O-M-G!! I just did a consultation with them for Smart Lipo! I can't believe they would make such a mistake. But the Dr. said you didn't pay for I.V. ?? I'm confused. Well they can have 1000 good reviews but 1 experience like this is enough for me to not choose them because I sure as hell don't want to be that ONE who has a screwed up procedure. I will definitely go with the other surgical center I was considering even though it is farther away.

Back fat update

I am one month and 5 days post-op. My flabby back looks better. You can see in my pics that the lower back/love handles are much smaller. Before the Smart Lipo I could hide a finger inside a fold of skin, but now I can not do that. So in other words the folds are still there, but not as deep and thick as before. I have a lot of "pins and needles" going on all over my back lately and it is soooo irritating and painful.
I actually go in this week for SmoothShapes procedure which is included with my procedure and to meet with Dr. Celestin and Dr. Okoro too. I'll update again after that stuff is over.

Oh wow! I'm sorry your experience was not what you expected but you can see results in your pictures. Hope the recovery continues to run smoothly.
Please keep us informed. Let us know about the smooth shape also. I am three months out tomorrow and look great in my clothes, clothes still fit the same minus muffin top, but my stomach is very lumpy and hard as a rock. I go in for my three month checkup next week so we will see what they say. I hope you have better luck as you move forward with the healing process.
CORRECTION: My 1st reply to this post was not written clearly so let me make it clearer...... #1- After more swelling goes down I will decide about the Revision. #2 - No, I don't want to get a lawyer. They are trying to work everything out with me one-on-one and that is respectable.

Back Lipo: 37 yrs old, 2 kids, lost over 80lbs

Im about 6 weeks post op and I am very good about my results. I had my first SmoothShapes done and it was Sooo relaxing. I LOVED IT! It was basically a lymphatic type massage that is suposed to help reduce swelling and aid in the healing process. Ask your PS about it.

You're looking great! I also live in austell....thanks for sharing I have surgery on saturday and i'm excited!
Wow yes I can definitely notice a difference. Glad you are pleased with your results. Like you, I too lost a significant amount of weight (115 pounds) but there are still some areas that will not shrink! Darn genetics. So I'm contemplating the smart lipo. Would you do it again?
You are progressing nicely. You must b thrilled.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Celestin was very personable, took the time to answer my questions, and give me realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure. I always felt well informed and was sent lots of paperwork about what to expect, informed consent, and the before and after mechanics of having Smart Lipo done. I felt like I was in good hands and literally had no nervousness whatsoever. AFTER my procedure all my concerns were IMMEDIATELY addressed.