Back Lipo: 37 Years Old, 2 Kids, Has Lost over 80 Lbs. - Austell, GA

I went to Georgia Plastic and Reconstructive...

I went to Georgia Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in Austell, GA. to have liposuction of my back (bra roll, flanks, love handles). I chose Georgia Plastic because of the stellar credentials and awards of the chief doctor, Dr. Stanley Okoro that were detailed on their website. However, I ended up consulting with and having my procedure done by the other doctor who practice there. Her name is Dr. Ruth Celestin. I figured by association, she would be just as good as him. THE PROCEDURE: The procedure its self turned out to be ------- THE ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!! ------I was supposed to be sedated by I.V. Anesthesia. It was on my paperwork and thoroughly discussed with me. However, due to an office "miscommunication" on their part, I was only given a much milder anesthetic consisting of a few pills (oral sedation) which did not work at ALL. I was told I woudn't feel or remember the procedure. ON THE CONTRARY I remembered and felt everything. I felt her making incisions with the scalpel, and the tortuous painful motions of the cannula moving and jabbing across me. recounting the experience exhausts me, but it has kept me up many nights since then. I've been waking up wet (from cold sweat and night terrors). And all damn day my mind is flooded with instant replays of the experience. I wanted to make a formal complaint of medical negligence. They all met with me to discuss and help resolve my grievance and offered me a FREE REVISION as long as I paid the $1500 for the anesthesia doctor.
----- As far as results go, I can see a difference but not nearly as significant as I expected or could have been done. But due to my feeling every move she made-- Dr. Celestin chose at one point not to suction any more because she knew she was torturing me. I LATER ASKED why 700cc's was removed from one side but only 700cc's from my other side. She said, "Well, no body is really symmetric anyway." My BEFORE pics will show that my back was Symmetric, whereas now there is a noticeable difference in my left and right sides. I trust as they told me that after swelling decreases we should see what the true results are about 3 months post-op. Yes, I am still seeing her for my post-op care but I have to admit I'm angry that after signing nearly 40 pages of paperwork that THEY gave me the wrong type of anesthesia -- which turned out to be as effective as NO ANESTHESIA.

Back fat update

I am one month and 5 days post-op. My flabby back looks better. You can see in my pics that the lower back/love handles are much smaller. Before the Smart Lipo I could hide a finger inside a fold of skin, but now I can not do that. So in other words the folds are still there, but not as deep and thick as before. I have a lot of "pins and needles" going on all over my back lately and it is soooo irritating and painful.
I actually go in this week for SmoothShapes procedure which is included with my procedure and to meet with Dr. Celestin and Dr. Okoro too. I'll update again after that stuff is over.

Back Lipo: 37 yrs old, 2 kids, lost over 80lbs

Im about 6 weeks post op and I am very good about my results. I had my first SmoothShapes done and it was Sooo relaxing. I LOVED IT! It was basically a lymphatic type massage that is suposed to help reduce swelling and aid in the healing process. Ask your PS about it.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Celestin was very personable, took the time to answer my questions, and give me realistic expectations for the outcome of the procedure. I always felt well informed and was sent lots of paperwork about what to expect, informed consent, and the before and after mechanics of having Smart Lipo done. I felt like I was in good hands and literally had no nervousness whatsoever. AFTER my procedure all my concerns were IMMEDIATELY addressed.

You're looking great! I also live in austell....thanks for sharing I have surgery on saturday and i'm excited!
Wow yes I can definitely notice a difference. Glad you are pleased with your results. Like you, I too lost a significant amount of weight (115 pounds) but there are still some areas that will not shrink! Darn genetics. So I'm contemplating the smart lipo. Would you do it again?
You are progressing nicely. You must b thrilled.
Oh wow! I'm sorry your experience was not what you expected but you can see results in your pictures. Hope the recovery continues to run smoothly.
Please keep us informed. Let us know about the smooth shape also. I am three months out tomorrow and look great in my clothes, clothes still fit the same minus muffin top, but my stomach is very lumpy and hard as a rock. I go in for my three month checkup next week so we will see what they say. I hope you have better luck as you move forward with the healing process.
You should probably get a lawyer about this or Are you going to go back for the re-do? Do you have PTSD from this? Can you post some pics? It's sad to know that mistakes like this happen. At least it didn't result in missing limbs or death - doctors have done worse but For all your trouble I hope you can at least get the look you were hoping for. Take care and stay positive.
Well, a lot of people keep saying I should get a lawyer - even my cousin who is also a Physician. After more swelling goes down I will decide about that but I rather not. I don't know if I have PTSD but I did have to fight off an anxiety attack at my last appointment. Not so sure why. I just get so tense when I go there now. Even if I was happy before I got there I start feeling dark and moody when I am there. Yes I will post some pics. and YES its a blessing that nothing worse happened. I have to thank God anyhow and I am also thankful for the amount of results I have at this point. My formerly flabby/droopy back is already much better looking.
CORRECTION: My 1st reply to this post was not written clearly so let me make it clearer...... #1- After more swelling goes down I will decide about the Revision. #2 - No, I don't want to get a lawyer. They are trying to work everything out with me one-on-one and that is respectable.
O-M-G!! I just did a consultation with them for Smart Lipo! I can't believe they would make such a mistake. But the Dr. said you didn't pay for I.V. ?? I'm confused. Well they can have 1000 good reviews but 1 experience like this is enough for me to not choose them because I sure as hell don't want to be that ONE who has a screwed up procedure. I will definitely go with the other surgical center I was considering even though it is farther away.
I asked for I.V. but someone on the paperwork end made a mistake and only had me listed as oral anesthesia. therefore I was never charged for I.V. from the get go. But I had no way of knowing in advance that I wasn't billed for it.
Sorry for your complications. And thanks for the info. I've definitely made my decisions NOT to visit this place.
As the saying goes, "Time heals all wounds." Though I was initially very upset they have been very accomodating, apologetic, and have made great efforts to give me excellent aftercare. They also made some internal changes to make sure such errors can't happen again. At this point I WOULD go to them again for another procedure...and each week I feel more and more pleased with the work they did on me. And btw, I have begun to recommend them to my family and friends because overall...I trust them.
I am very sorry that you had a bad experience during your liposuction. The overwhelming majority of liposuction in this country is done under local anesthesia. Unfortunately, sometimes there are patients who do not tolerate liposuction in this setting. During her consultation this patient indicated that she wanted to have her procedure done under IV sedation. However, she did not pay for IV sedation and ultimately had liposuction done under local anesthesia. She did not tolerate this very well. Her result, which we have reviewed together, is still very early. The asymmetry in fat removal that the patient refers to was 25cc's more on one side than the other. I advised her that this was due to the fact that people are not perfectly symmetrical. I and my staff have followed this patient closely with office visits, e-mail and phone calls. We also met with her on a Saturday morning shortly after her procedure to discuss her concerns at her earliest convenience. So it is my belief that her post operative care has been excellent. Because this was a matter of a misunderstanding between the patient and the practice, I did offer to redo her procedure, this time under IV sedation to ensure her comfort.
Telling me "the overwhelming majority of liposuction in this country is done under local anesthesia" does not help me, nor is it a relevent response to my situation. IMAGINE THIS: Your child is severely allergic to peanut butter and you write on her school forms, talk to the teacher and nurse that child can eat anything except peanut butter. Child is fed peanut butter anyway and is hospitalized. Schools responds later saying, "Im sorry we didnt read all the forms WE made you fill out on registration day but the majority of children in this country are able to eat peanut butter with no problem. Your child just doesnt tolerate it very well." WOULD YOU FIND THAT TO BE AN ACCEPTABLE AND APPROPRIATE RESPONSE? NO SANE PERSON WOULD.... followed by teacher saying, "You pay for your own medical bills at the hospital and I will be glad to give your child a new non-peanut better sandwich when she is ready to eat lunch at school again." Its comments like these that made me rate the post-operative care at only 3 stars. Those 3 stars are not 5 stars because of several statements like this and/or contradictory info told to me at my follow-up appointments.
Wow, I am a little shocked your posting on her experience this is a support group, such as the day in age of social media. Teriakin.....an "overwhelming majority of PS" offer a free revision anyway with cost of sedation. So I wouldn't feel as if this is a huge stretch. I chose to not be sedated and yes you are right it is a little much but I don't like being sedated but the other patient seen after me had the IV sedation for exact same procedure and areas. Do you know what cocktail of pills you were given?
Hydrocodone and xanax for sure. Maybe one other pill but i dont recall.
Yeah that's what I had, 4 Xanax, 2 hydrocodone and a phenagren. I was curious because they said you won't remember and thought maybe you were given halcion which I what I sedate my patients with in my dental office. I am going to see if he will let me use that for my revision. Halcion is a true oral sedation, not a cocktail.
Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine what it was like to experience that!  I'm so sorry that happened to you.  How do you feel about going back for the revision?