SmartLipo/Vaser: Recovering Nicely - Just Turned 40 and This is my Gift to Myself

I want to start by saying that I have researched...

I want to start by saying that I have researched the topic of SmartLipo and Vaser lipo until I was blue in the face. I've reasearched, planned and daydreamed for years.

I just turned 40 and this is my gift to myself.

I went to several consults to meet with the physicians I had narrowed my searches down to in Atlanta. After a time I had it narrowed to two physicians, both of whom are well known in this area and both of whom perform liposuction procedures for well known persons as well as for the "swan" makeovers here. That alone told me they knew what they were doing and would be high caliber. In the end I chose the one who is actually named as the first plastic surgeon to begin SmartLipo in the U.S. after trainin extensively with european doctors who had pioneered the method. She was more expensive, but after also haveing seen the horror stories and after scraping the majority of this money from a special savings account for this, I was certain that I would rather spend more money to assure the best results.

Areas to be treated: lower abs, hips, flanks, saddle bags, lower buttucks (my request was that she shape my butt to make it firmer, perkier, smoother as it was in the past without adding anything to it becuase my upper butt has plenty of muscle).

At my pre-op consult a week prior to the proceedure I was given prescriptions to have filled prior to the proceedure (as I needed to begin taking the Proteozyme Forte tablets 3x daily and had to begin the antibiotic the night before, and was even given a sleeping aid the night before). My instructions also included a huge list of "DO NOT TAKEs" for 2 weeks prior or 2 weeks after. The night before I had to shower completely with Hibiclens (even my hair!) and then do the same the mornin of (which happened to be THIS morning).

The surgery: I arrived at 8am scared out of my mind, of course. They took me back and handed me a robe and a teeny black ball wrapped in a band. These are your panties, I was told. Yep, those were way cute. Also they gave me a drug cocktail which I found to be VERY nice indeed. 2 valium and a klonipin - and THEN an intramuscular injection of something... something very strong that they said would make me feel drunk. I have to agree that I felt drunk.

Before pictures were next. Then the drawings with the black sharpie.

It's foggy after that, but I somehow got to the surgery room, so I guess that's where we went next.

I did feel the numbing injections in my stomach, but it didn't last long, and I knew I had to go through that to get to the next step. I don't remember feeling much of the tumescent fluid other than a few pokes that maybe went too deep at the base of my lower abs. I'm guessing where it was too close to bone is when I felt it. I did feel a lot of tightness after all the fluid was injected. Would have loved to have seen what that looked like.

When the doctor switched to the vaser I wasn't really sure until I felt the vibration. I felt that big time. I think (and this is an embarrassing didIreallysaythatwhenIwasdrunk moment) I said something about that giving new meaning to the word vibrator. Anyway, that felt interesting and actually ticked. From the inside, if you can imagine!

And then the sucking machine. I felt nothing and wasn't sure about whether or not they had switched to the suction, but I started seeing red and pink flowing through a tube and assumed....If I was told the exact amount that was removed I don't remember. I was sooooo out of it. But I do remember actually seeing the receptacles and there were half filled; white stuff was on top and seemed to be about 3 inches tall. I assume that was the fat.

Two assistants cleaned me up, put the maxi pads in place and wrapped me in a white mesh. They then put the compression garment on me. This bad boy looks like a spanx shorts jumper. It goes from my knees to my shoulders (with a very sexy hole for pottying LOL). My instructions are not to remove the compression garment for 24 hours for any reason. I will of course comply. I want and need this to turn out as best as possible.

I am sore. For sure. It does ache to turn or to stand up from a seated or lying position. I've been mostly lying on my couch with my feel elevated. I have gotten up a few times to potty and refill a drink - really just to move around some. I am of course DYING to see myself without this garment, but I must wait until tomorrow afternoon to shower.

I am 5 1/2 hours post op and no leaking has seeped through the maxi pads that were placed following surgery. Not sure what to think about that. I'd much rather stuff to seep out than stay in and make me more swollen that I have to be.

I'm typing with the help of two hydrocodone I popped about 30 minutes ago after I awoke. Otherwise I feel pretty ok. Just slow and sore and achy. I do hope the second day will be bearable, as I've read that many find the second day of recovery to be the best....

I will update throughout the week. I am off all week and latter half of week is a holiday. This was planned pretty well.

Nice updates. I was like u; I decided to pay a bit more 4 the best results. Do you have any b4/after pics?
Update: Today is the 4th day following surgery. I have to start by saying that this is definitely NOT a pain-free procedure. I consider myself to be very tolerant of pain. In fact, my first of two childbirths was completely natural. I had read that this was a relatively low pain procedure, and that most people return to work within a few days. I can tell you that there is NO WAY IN HELL that I could have returned to work and am thankful that I have another full day of recovery (tomorrow) before I have to return. That will be a full week. I also must say that I have had to rely on the blessedly plentiful pain medication I was given. I am positive that I could never have made it through this time without something stronger than Tylenol. But each morning as I painfully peel off the constricting compression garment (which I have quickly learned to hate) and see nothing where the fat pockets on my outer thighs were just a week ago - I can say that I would go through it all again... I'm not sure yet how my abdomen, flanks or hips will look after all the swelling subsides, but based on what I see thus far I am thrilled. I get to trash the foam pads tomorrow (yay) and will wear only the compression garment. I pray the Dr. will change the garment to something shorter and easier to hide underneath my clothing when I see her on Tuesay. I will update again soon.
I had SmartLipo Friday, Nov 20. This is day 5 for me, and I am so pleased with the entire process! At 55, we had just had it with my tummy bulge. I had tried everything from smart diets, ReDux, crash diets, nothing did it, and since we live on a beach and winter out of the US in beach towns, I still ran around in my bikinis no matter what I looked like! After reading Carl Hiaasen's Skin Deep, I knew that regular Lipo wasn't for me. When I did some net surfing and found SmartLipo, we knew it was just a case of finding the right doctor, and hopefully at a price we'd be willing to pay. Did the homework, made an appointment, and met Dr. Darshan Shah and his staff in Malibu, California. After our initial consultation, it was simply a case of having the pre-op consultation, getting the medical OK (blood tests and EKG, remember, I am 55) and scheduling the surgery. WOW! Talk about a great experience and wonderful staff and facility! Beautologie has an office in Malibu, but has their surgery center in Bakersfield. Because Bakersfield is almost 3 hours from us, I was scheduled for 11am, and was to be there at 10, after stopping at their pharmacy first. Picked up the prescriptions, all put together in a nice box, with great instructions. Even though we had all the information that we could possibly need from the pre-op meeting, it was great to see it all reiterated. We arrived a bit early, but they immediately put on my wrist band and took me back to a lovely space with relaxing videos of the South Pacific. I removed everything except socks, which were recommended to keep my toes warm. Put on the normal "gown," and they brought my husband in to keep me company. Had an IV started, took an anti-nausea pill under the tongue from my box, and hung out for a while. A bag of antibiotic was added to the drip, and in came my Doctor, who used a marker to draw on my abdomen. In came the anesthesiologist who discussed with me the fine line of being completely out versus not aware. I simply put myself in her hands. They again informed us that the abdomen work would take 1 to 2 hours, and my husband would be back in as soon as I came out of the surgical suite. I wasn't nervous, just excited. My blood pressure wasn't even up! I hadn't had the valium the night before because I was unable to pick up my scripts before that morning. They started another drip to relax me, my sweetie left, I was rolled into the surgical suite, remember what the lights looks like, and that's all! My husband loved the luxurious waiting area with coffees, videos, snacks, and was also sent next door to a creamery for a fancy beverage on the house. Next thing I knew, I was awake, in another room with the door open to a sunny outdoors, and was being helped into my comfy, zip front shirt to head home. Sweetheart was called in right then, and only an hour had passed! When asked, they told me that I had had 2 liters removed, and all was good. My compression garment was in place, and I felt great! His orders were to feed me, (Smoothie, milk shake) feed me a pain killer, anti nausea, muscle relaxer and laxative, all from the box. He did, and I didn't even nap on the drive home. I had soup for dinner Friday night, took my pills on schedule, slept at a slight angle, and well. My husband had to work Saturday and Sunday, so I read, napped, took my pills and did just fine. Sunday morning we showered. Wow! Took off the compression garment, and I have a new body! Yes, swelling, some bruising, but what a difference! We took off the two little pieces of gauze, and there had been no drainage. Happily, the three incisions were perfectly placed: one in the little belly button scar I had from my tubal ligation, and the other 2 right where a bikini hits! Tiny, tiny cuts, he put a stitch in each one, just to be sure there would be no scarring! Monday, I felt so good that I quit taking any pills, and we went to two grocery stores. Probably shouldn't have, but wanted to! Tuesday morning, day 4, took another shower, shaved my legs, felt great! The coloration had changed. From laying down for 2 days, the bruising had wrapped around my sides. Not really bad, but quite colorful! Decided we wanted a turkey for tomorrow, so went to 2 more stores. Probably wasn't a terrific idea, I was a little sore in the afternoon and took 2 Tylenol, my first meds (except antibiotics) since Sunday. The swelling changed, likely due to my being vertical. It has gone down my thighs a little bit, and boy oh boy, my crotch!!! Ever seen a female rat in heat?? They swell up big. So have I, and turned purple! Actually took pictures, it is so colorful! Not painful, just wild looking. I remembered to use my bags of frozen peas last night, I have been bad about using them, just feel so good that I forget. Today, and hopefully through the weekend, I'll stay in. I have been really good about not doing anything except the two outings walking around, and have the support to do nothing. I have a couple of projects that need to be done before we leave the US in 10 days, but I hope to wait another week for them. Follow-up?? Doctor called me Sunday afternoon to see how things were. Through the entire process we were encouraged to call him directly, e-mail him and his staff. We did the first night, when it appeared that the compression garment (a stretchy band probably 16 inches wide velcro fastening girdle) had slid up. He immediately called and told us to just slide it down, no problem. Follow up call Tuesday from the surgical nurse checking on everything. She laughed at the rat in heat description. Because of the holiday tomorrow, my one week appointment will be Tuesday, actually day 11. Fine by me! I'm to wear the garment for a week, then it's up to me. It isn't at all uncomfortable, so I'll probably leave it on except for showers until I see them Tuesday. The first 2 nights I slept with lots of pillows at a bit of an angle, on the third went back to my side of the bed and was able to sleep on my side a little. Last night, night 5, I slept normally, both sides, not waking when rolling over, all fine. Over all??? So happy. Yes, I'm holding fluid, but still, you can see a difference, even with the garment on. Pain? Nope. Discomfort? Nope. Recommendations? Go to a doctor/group that has their own surgery center and staff. Elective plastic surgery is basically all they do and if they aren't the best, they won't last long! At the end of 6 months I will be presented with a before and after picture mounted side by side. They took my before pictures at the pre-op appointment, and because I asked, was given a copy when I left the surgery center. Such a difference already! If anyone is interested, I'll up date this every couple of days.

Update:  I am now 15 days post-op.What a...

Update:  I am now 15 days post-op.

What a difference!  I honestly felt like I had been hit by a truck for my first week and boy did I gobble up those pain pills!

But now I'm a new woman.  My abs feel fine, though I find myself needing to massage the hard lumps that come up from time to time - but they do go away after massage.  My hips and saddle bag areas are still very sore, so much so that I still am unable to sleep on my side, which really bites the big one.  But I keep reminding myself that it's all very worth it.

Because my hips are still so sore, arising to a standing position after having been seated for a while is still slow and painful.  But once I'm fully erect I can walk without a problem.

Half the incisions are completedly healed and don't look as though they will scar.  The other half are teeny and still have very small scabs on them.  Hopefully they will heal as well as the others.  I am cleared to use ScarGuard in another 2 weeks or so which is supposed to help avoid visual scarring.

I would do this 1000 times over.  I am so pleased with my results.  My stomach is completely flat, and I'm 40 and have had 2 kids.  This will be the first summer that I will feel confident enough to wear a bikini without a shirt...

I will get 1 month post-op photos when I return to the doctor this month (in less than 2 weeks) and will upload both pre and post for your viewing pleasure LOL.

I been planning smart lipo at strax in ft lauderdale with doctor fisher does anyone know about him
??
Hello, are you still happy with your procedure, who is your doctor?
Hello Atlantamom, I am currently shopping around for the smartlipo procedure and have narrowed it down but i want to make sure I dont miss out...Are you still please with your results? And what surgeon performed your procedure?
Marcia Byrd