Opinions Please! - Atlanta, GA

I have a raised mole, about 1/4 inch wide and...

I have a raised mole, about 1/4 inch wide and 1/8th raised. It is flesh color - above my lip and just next to my nostril. Been there for 20 years so not cancerous. Been getting sooo many different opinions from doctors - some say shave, some say excise. Has anyone out there had something similar, and if so, how was it successfully removed? I am worried about recurrence with shaving, and scarring with excising. It's a pretty big area and bang on my face so I'm doing my research first! If anyone can recommed a doctor that would be great too!

None yet.

Shave excision is the best approach for this kind of mole removal. It's less likely to scar and is much cheaper. A Derm is specially trained to do a great job at this
Hi, I had a black mole removed on my cheek between the nose and the lips. Lets say it is where the line is when you smile, it was as big as the pupil of the eye and it kinda bothered me because I felt it was so noticeable. So I had it cut off by a plastic surgeon and he did a great job.. No one notice it gone and at first of course it was red and you can tell, just like if you get a cut.. but after a couple of month its not noticeable unless I tell you and you look very close.. I had another burned or lasered and that one is white and instead of black. My recommendations, are go with a plastic surgeon, now mine was excised and I still have have some scarring but not to the point that you can tell, unless you look really close... So go with the shaving in my opinion, Mine was where the line is so when I smile it less noticeable...
Hello, I have had two moles shaved off my face side/cheek area anyway, no problems fastforward to now and they have started to raise a bit. It has been over twenty years so I guess all is well :) good luck
Went to dermatologist for two moles. He froze one on my face and said since I did not tell them that the other one hurt or bothered me I would have to come back and complain about it so insurance covers. My insurance gets billed $450 and paid less than half of it. I cancelled 2nd appointment because Im not paying another $450 again. No wonder health insurance is so high. Im gonna try some product online. Dont let Dr. scam you.
On line treat at home mole removers are a scam. Go find an honest Derm instead.
Does it bother you for cosmetic reasons? Based on the pic it looks 'clean' to me -- its round, its even color, all the good signs for a mole.

You can shave, but there is a chance it can grow back.
You can cut -- but given the position you'll have a scar, for which a good plastic surgeon can minimize -- but if its not cancerous -- why bother?

I've had squamous cell abnormalities on my face and had Mohs surgery -- surgeon did great job and the scar is along my smile line and hardly if at all noticable. I've also had other moles shaved off and have nice bigger pink scars.

If purely for cosmetic reasons, I would leave it. It is part of you :)
A mole on cheek was removed several years ago. It was shaved. I had a really good experience. The procedure was fast. The aftercare was simple. And it's never come back!

That is great to hear nicolelee76! Did it leave a tiny scar?

I have something very similar on my chin. I've considered getting it removed, but same as you, since its on my face I'm scared of getting a scar.

I'll be interested to hear what the other community members have to say.

Here is a Q&A that you might find helpful:

Laser Treatment for "Fleshy" Facial Mole Removal