Neck Lift Gone Bad - Atlanta, GA

On June 1st 2012 I traveled to Atlanta Georgia to...

On June 1st 2012 I traveled to Atlanta Georgia to have a "minor" neck lift done. I was lead to believe it would be "no problem". Things started out pretty simple. I was injected and NOT put to sleep. Then the Dr. made the minor incision under my chin and then I felt this pushing and tugging,no pain untill he pushed or pulled something on my right jaw...I told them I felt something and the assistant said "Did you feel pain or pressure?" I said ...pain..the surgery continued.I believe a muscle was "ripped". .I saw him suturing the plat muscle. Then a very tight ace bandage was wrapped around my head....Mind you...they provide a hotel room for two nights. I stayed the night prior to and the night after surgery, so as to be able to get dressing changed. The day after my surgery, my chin had opened up and had to be resutured...The next week visit ...fluid had to be drawn off my neck ( approximately 2 cc's). During ;the weekend after the aspiration ..more flud accumulated. As I tilted my head it would move from one side of my neck to the other...I called the 24 hours number with no return call. I called again during the day and was given an appointment on the following Saturday where the fellow doctor drew off more than 5 cc's of fluid and then placed me in a "sling". On my return visit the skin on my my neck has started to attach and looked lumpy and hard as a rock. I was instructed to get a untrasound hand held device (No more than $100 bucks!) and use it to help with the scarring. I could not get out of there fast enough without crying. I feel that I am maimed for the rest of my life. I am doing all I can to reduce the ugly wrinking and tough , hard areas in my neck.

Now six weeks post op. I have been going to a...

Now six weeks post op. I have been going to a local Dr. for ultrasound on my neck daily for the past week after I returned from my business trip. I did purchase a hand held ultrasound (of which the Dr. said it was practically useless)and it has just arrived. . There may be some reduction of the LARGE lumps...it does seems to be reducing...I hope so. My neck still looks horrible and it a REAL: embarrassment for me and humiliating. I regret ever having this done.

A lady at my church used this same group. She did have some minor scarring but was basiclly pleased with her results.

Thank you for posting your story about LSL. I too was interested in a neck lift and received info and several phone calls pressuring me to schedule an appointment. After reading your story and several others on this site I am glad I delayed making an appointment. I really wish something could be done to prevent this type of thing from continuing to happen. For now, know that your story has helped me to decide that a LSL isn't an option.
To slr57: I can see why you would feel how you feel about Lifestyle Lift after reading some of the negative reviews. I'd like to try to alleviate some of your fears and anxiety. A LSL is a facelift done under local anesthesia. By using this method, it is performed under the safest possible conditions. Both general and or IV sedation are types of anesthesia that carry significantly greater risks than local anesthesia. But even under local, the surgeon can still accomplish all the goals of your facelift. Each LSL doctor is a board-certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. Discussing your needs with him or her and going over the goals of your surgery are key to properly setting your expectations. Once your surgery is done, know that you will need time to recover. Some heal very quickly, others take several weeks. Some look amazing right away, some need minor touch ups to refine the result. Everybody is different. When people post negative comments, I've often found that the reasons were from either a lack of communication or just simply poor communication between the patient and surgeon or patient and staff. There are always both sides. Often, the posts themselves don't convey the whole story. As a LIfestyle Lift surgeon, I can tell you that all LSL surgeons are very well trained, very knowledgeable, and do more facelifts than most other surgeons around simply because it's what we specialize in. The numbers speak for themselves. I can tell you that NO surgeon, LSL or not, can guarantee any result. That is the nature of surgery. But at LSL, we will certainly do everything we can to make you happy. Even if that means touching up or revising part of your surgery. And you should know that that does happen to a very small percentage of patients in ALL practices. No surgeon hits a home run with every surgery every time. And anyone who makes that claim is probably simply not being honest. I would encourage you to still go in for a consultation with a LSL surgeon. Ask all the questions, even raise the comments that I'm making right now, and I assure you, you will leave the appointment at the very least, more educated about the facelift operation and the recovery process, if not ready to proceed. I hope this comment was educational and/or helpful.
I did my research and decided against a lifestyle lift. As my doctor explained, ...can you possible cut and sew anything in a hour? If is sounds too good to be true..it is!!!! My facelift took my PS about 5 hours and I was asleep...woke up..didn't feel a thing...no pain and very happy with the results after 5 years....I would NEVER consider a LSL under any circumstances. My face lift cost $10,000 included a overnight stay.
I too want to thank everybody for posting their LSL stories on here. Several years ago, I got all their info by mail and even went to visit the surgeon. They were very hard-sell, and I made my $300 deposit and scheduled my surgery for a couple of months out. After I got home, I dug in and really did my research. After reading all the horror stories on here, I cancelled my surgery. They would not refund my $300, but that seems to be a small price to pay for avoiding a disaster. I decided to to wait a few years, save my money, and found a wonderful, caring, triple board certified ps. I am happy for the ladies that had good results, and so very sorry for the ones who didn't. Again, thank you for sharing, and I hope you get some compensation for your pain and suffering.
Thank you for posting your story...it is not an easy thing to tell people we don't even know when something bad has happened to us. But we do it with the hope of possibly saving a fellow traveler from the same fate and to get advice and help from those with similar problems. I trust you can find a good doctor with a conscience who will help you. Surely this can be repaired and I hope you are able to get it done soon. Someone should start a "LSL Repair Center", they would never lack for clients! Best wishes to you dear, and thanks again for your post.
I looked them up on the internet and just from the 50% of negative people I read about, I decided not to go to them. We need a REAL cosmetic/plastic surgeon with good credentials, not somebody that advertises in a magazine. And remember there NEVER is a guarantee. Things happen!
You needed more care taking and better preparation for surgery. Your expectations exceeded the possibilities for you. That's what it boiled down to. Instead of posting your complaint, revisit your doctor and be honest with him or her. They'll find a way to help you feel and look better.
Instead of posting your complaint? That is what this site is for, to tell our stories, complaints or glowing reviews. And what makes you think her expectations exceeded the possibilities? There are women in LSL's ads that have much worse looking necks than this woman and they come out looking like beauty queens. Several women here have said they think you are a doctor doing damage control for LSL here. One even stated she knew you were/are a LSL doctor!! Why don't they just clean up their act and give people what the ads imply they will receive? Maybe it's just too much fun screwing people and then laughing all the way to the bank and the cocktail parties about what suckers all these gullible women are.
For a price yes!
thanks for sharing your stories - i can make an informed decision as to if i really want this procedure seems they are liars by omission and want to keep patients in the dark about recovery period and problems that could arise
Bad experience in the Dallas office. Surgery was done twice. My neck still looks the same. I have problems with my left ear incision. It drains on and off, doesn't heal. It was all a waste of money and very painful.

Hi Betty, please take the time and write a full review of what happend to you. No one else is going to know if you don't do you own post and let women and men know what happend to you. I am so sorry that you have gone through so much. It would really help if you would write you own bio and tell your story. I know you would want to warm others of what happend to you! I so hope that you find a way to recover and heal and I know how hard that is to do. I wish you the best, Chrystal Eckes.

Scientist, how are you doing with your neck now??? I am so sorry to hear that you have had such problems with your LSL. Did you try to get your money back or at least some help from LSL on any of your expenses that you have incurred to date? Any one at the offices of LSL offering any help what-so-ever??? I am asking these questions so that other women that read these reviews will see that LSL will NOT help patients after the money is paid and the procedure is done. My LSL "procedure" and the after care was a joke... at my expense! I wish and hope that all prospective patients of any LSL procedure will take the time to seek out a board certified physician in their area AND GET A 2nd OPINION! I know the commercials make the "procedure" (really surgery) sound so simple, when in truth, it is anything but simple. I wish you the best in healing. Chrystal Eckes.
Oh my gosh you are so right Chrystal!!! I did check the internet for reviews after I made my appointment. But I went ahead. My husband supported me and just wanted me to be happy. We were approved for $12,000 by Chase Health Advance. But recently we received a letter which let us they would not honor any additional charges to account. No reason given. I know the reason wasn't due to bad credit since our fico scores are close to 800. This gives me the impression that possibly they are aware of a lawsuit in the works. Wish my name could be included. I've thought about writing to them at the Huntersville, North Carolina location where my Lifestyle Lift was performed. But they'd probably ignore it...
Chrystal....I returned from another appointment yesterday. My neck is still the same, a real humiliation...being in the public sector. The doctor "seemed" sympathetic...an sat and listened but he again stated "it had to get "soft" before anything else could be done. I just cannot believe that I "paid" to have this done to me. I again suggest ...see a "real" cosmetic surgeon ...even if you have to pay more money..I am to return in 6 weeks to see how it is progressing. He stated he cannot do anything till the scarring reduces (Don't think I can trust them to "redo".) Thank you for your comments.

ScubaBarb, don't dismiss complaining so quickly. Others have complained to CC about LSL and have been able to get the charges reversed after they obtained their medical records. I don't know your story but if you have had a bad experience and have kept up with whom you spoke with and what they have told you or offered to do for you, it will help you in being able to post a legitimate complaint with Chase about LSL. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion from another surgeon? Did they lower the amount on your Chase account before you paid them off? I would be curious to know why they wrote that letter to you. Never hurts to ask. Best to you, Chrystal

Scientist, I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Have you seen another surgeon to get another opinion?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. This kind of stuff really hurts my heart. I really do know exactly how you feel. For any person considering this surgery by LSL, PLEASE, please take the time to get a 2nd opinion from a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Realself.com has a doctors referral area and most offer a free consultation if you mention that you found them on realself. Please take the time to do this, it is so very important that you understand what you are about to do to yourself and Deby Boone and LSL could care less what happens to you after the surgery is over and they have your money. In the words of one of LSL's own doctors, "BUYER BEWARE"! Best, Chrystal Eckes
I just called for a packet and the people were so pushy that I felt I needed to look up some information on the ineternet. I am so glad I did. Thanks to all for posting.
You always get what you pay for....doesn't matter what it is. I had my lower eyes done a few years back....paid top dollar for a Park Ave surgeon highly regarded in this procedure....in fact that is all he does...eyes only. I believe that if you are having ANY surgery you should always check the physicians record, schooling, hospital affiliations etc. You have one body....treat it like a temple.....not a Target or Walmart thrift shop. If you can't afford a top doctor....I say forget even having plastic surgery.
My husband went for the neck lift about 2 months ago and the result is terrible. He went to the Atlanta location. He was facial numbness and very hard lumps under his chin. The doctor's at LSL are telling him all is well and normal. He had 40 cc's aspirated the first time and about the same a week later. His VA doctors says he see this all the time and that the whole neck lift needs to be done over. Nice. We'll see how this all turns out with or without a lawyer. Something tells me there will be legal representation needed. Isn't it illegal to sign contracts after being given drugs or alcohol? I know realestate contracts are voidable if signed while under the influence.
The fluid accumulation is what caused my problem. I did everything I was supposed to do...and had no idea anything could go so wrong. After the second aspiration the skin was so "unattached" I was placed in the "sling" it was snug but not snug enough to help the skin attach smoothly. I have been going (at my expense...although my insurance is paying some) to a doctor to have ultrasound to help break up the scarring in my neck (causing the lumps). It is helping...start that early...Do NOT rely on the hand held ultrasound...3 megahertz ...it is a joke...I called everyone...hospitals for PT, wound care specialist , and then finally I called a chiropractor (never been to one). His staff was trained in ultrasound. I have been going everyday during the week...the lumps are getting smaller. My ultrasound treatment is for 3-5 minutes at 1 watt. "Physician heal yourself" or rather "Patient heal yourself". Good luck!

greetings to: saw the bad results -- Just wanted to know how your husband is doing now. And I wanted to know about the signing of the contracts after being given drugs. Could you elaborate on that subject some more? And yes... it is illegal, although LSL claims that they never engage in this practice! I also had bad results at the Atlanta location and had to pay for my own redo by a different (non-LSL) physician. As far as a lawyer goes, good luck on that one. They seem to have the CYA syndrome down pat. You basically sign away your rights, read the mice type on the contract. I do hope that your husband continues to heal and please let us know how he is doing. Best, Chrystal Eckes

Maybe everyone on here who got ripped off by LSL should start a class action suit against them.
This "company" of bargain basement reject plastic surgeons should be avoided at all costs. Like everything in life....you get what you pay for. Whenever one even elects for any type of plastic surgery procedure you must run a thorough check on their credentials and Board status. It is not a simple procedure. Avoid this company, pay the real fee for a qualified plastic surgeon only...If you cannot afford the BEST, top of his class, American Medical School qualified....then run away....and grow old gracefully.
I'm so sorry for your bad experience. I, too, have a numb face & neck, tingling in my face
and neck, and continuous itching around my ears. I had my LSL in Huntersville, NC by Dr. Diaz. I could never get in touch with them either . I have told LSL all about it to no avail. I even contacted Dr. Drew's show and they got in touch with LSL, when in turn they got in touch Dr. Diaz. Apparently it has all been smoothed over. If a class action law suit ever happens, I'll be the first in line. I told them that they were ruining people lives and that they took an oath to "Do no harm". These Drs. are just that, they are not plastic surgeons...that's why you charge plastic surgeons prices. I was told that the Doctors took a quick course to do these procedures. Well, just had to say my peace, Best Wishes. Marion 4115