My Breast Reduction Journey 2013 - Atlanta, GA

I went for my annual mammogram on August 7th and...

I went for my annual mammogram on August 7th and my physician's assistant asked if I had back or neck pain. I told her yes and she recommended that I contact a ps to discuss a possible breast reduction. She told me I had a lot of breast tissue and that the pain I was having in my back and neck could possibly be due to the weight of my breast. I explained to her that I also sweat and have indention in my shoulders from my bra strips and also that I have pain in my breast. I also informed her that I have a history of breast cancer in my family. She gave me the phone number to a ps and I scheduled a consultation for August 27th. He said that I would need to have about 1000 grams removed from each breast. I currently wear a size 38HH bra and my neck and back constantly ache. I've been waiting to hear from the ps as to whether or not I've been approved by BCBS of Georgia. So I am playing the waiting game.
Any news yet? I waited 2 weeks and called my insurance company to see what the status was. I got my approval over the phone. Sometimes I think the letters just get piled up on a desk. It's worth a call.
Yup, exactly!!!

Welcome to the community.  Hang in there, we will all keep our fingers crossed for you.

The countdown is on!!!

I received my approval from the insurance company today. After only 8 days. NO MORE NECK, SHOULDER OR BACK PAIN!!! I need help now. What should I do next to prepare myself for this surgery. My tentative surgery date is Nov. 22 and my pre-op appt. is on Nov. 12. I will post before pictures soon.
Congratulations on your speedy approval! I noticed that we have the same surgery date and am definitely interested in any pre-op need-to-knows too. If I find out anything I'll be sure to share as well:)
Don't know if you read my update. But I had to submit other information to my coordinator and she sent all the paperwork in on Sept. 19. She called me back yesterday, Sept. 27 and told me the insurance company approved me. Just 8 days...I am so looking forward to no more neck, back and shoulder pain.
YAY! Are you just giddy? I was. Then I got terrified. Now I'm just anxious to get it done. (5 more weeks!)

Change in plans!!

So my surgery was originally scheduled for Nov. 22, it has now been moved up to Nov. 14 and my pre-op is on Nov. 5. I am starting to become a little nervous as that's only 3 weeks away. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for all of you ladies as well as for myself. NO MORE NECK, SHOULDER OR BACK PAIN!!!
Congratulations im happy for you we have the same dr. I just met him today and im still waiting on my insurance to approve. Please keep us updated :)

Before picture

Here is a before picture. Wanted to be sure I posted one before my surgery on Nov. 14th.
Had my pre-op on Nov. 5 and will have my first marking on Nov. 13th. Have you received your approval notice yet?
Not yet I'm still waiting. The lady who handles the insurance went on vacation she will be back this Monday. I'm so nervous and excited at the same time. I know you are excited as well

Surgery Day

I'm having my surgery today. I'm already at the hospital with my hubby. I will do my best to take some final pictures before I'm on the other side.
I hope you are healing happily! Hugs!
I am healing happily. Not as much pain as I anticipated. I'm on a routine schedule taking antibiotic and pain meds at the same time.
Yay I can't wait to see your results

I had my first follow-up appointment yesterday and my hubby snapped a picture. My stomach is so bloated. I had a some bleeding from the left side but other than that. I'm doing great.
How are you doing? Hope the healing is going great!
I'm doing quite well. Hardly any pain at all. I've been sore but not a lot of pain at all. I'm also experiencing "zingers" as sensation comes back. Overall experience...GREAT!!
Thank you for checking on me.

Doing Great!!

It will be 3 weeks for me in two more days and I'm doing great. Still having zingers and my right breast still has some slight swelling. This surgery was so worth it!!

Small wound at the T incision on my right breast

So today I realized there is a small wound at the T incision on my right breast and I was in some pain. I'm exactly three weeks post op today. I've been doing too much and not resting. I'm not hurting so I think I can do what I want. I called my PS office and spoke to the nurse she told signs to be aware of and what to do. She said put Aquaphor and guaze and it will heal. I was a bit nervous at first because there was blood. I'm taking it easy from now on. The bleeding has stopped. I actually had to take a Percocet for pain and I'm feeling better.
It seems I'm hearing a lot of us go through this t section problem. I had my surgery on Nov. 20th, and that is the only place I'm still seeping. Good luck and hope it heals quickly.
Hope you have a restful weekend to continue healing. It really is quite a process.

Feeling so much better!

I'm feeling sooo much better. My T-incision wound seems to be healing fine. I change the guaze and put Aquaphor on it twice a day. I will post a picture soon of my new girls.

Current picture

Here is a current picture of my new girls.
You look great - Congrats on a successful surgery
Thank you very much!
Thanks so much for the current picture, boob envy here!

Healing great!!

My open wounds have healed thanks to Aquaphor and guaze. I'm 4 weeks post op and feeling great. I have a slight cold but have never felt better.
Wow, you look great! I just had my BR on Dec. 11. I too feel like my stomach is bloated. I'm still getting used to the smaller size, but I know I will be very glad that I did this. I just had a doctor's appointment today and he wants to see me back in a month. I am encouraged by how well you've done!!!
All thanks honey this whole experience with real self has been great everyone has been really supportive. I'm so happy that I can help someone else along the way as we all take this BR journey together :)
wow! congratulations! what a tremendous difference!

Continuing to heal!

I'm continuing to heal wonderfully. I have been massaging my scars with vitamin E oil. I had a follow-up last week and everything looks reallly good. I'm still getting a few zingers but overall doing well.
I go back for a follow-up in February 2014.
Merry Christmas to you all.
you have a wonderful result, do you like your new smaller nipples?
You are looking good how are you doing
I'm doing great! 7 1/2 weeks out and I feel wonderful. Mild soreness under both breast when I move the wrong way, but nothing I can't tolerate. I'm finally able to sleep on my stomach again, but not all night long. I've not had anymore neck, back or shoulder pain. I'm very happy I had this surgery.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Larsen and his staff are simply the greatest. I have no complaints. When I called about my open T-incision wound the ladies were very attentive and showed me they were genuinely concerned.