My Breast Reduction Journey 2013 - Atlanta, GA

I went for my annual mammogram on August 7th and...

I went for my annual mammogram on August 7th and my physician's assistant asked if I had back or neck pain. I told her yes and she recommended that I contact a ps to discuss a possible breast reduction. She told me I had a lot of breast tissue and that the pain I was having in my back and neck could possibly be due to the weight of my breast. I explained to her that I also sweat and have indention in my shoulders from my bra strips and also that I have pain in my breast. I also informed her that I have a history of breast cancer in my family. She gave me the phone number to a ps and I scheduled a consultation for August 27th. He said that I would need to have about 1000 grams removed from each breast. I currently wear a size 38HH bra and my neck and back constantly ache. I've been waiting to hear from the ps as to whether or not I've been approved by BCBS of Georgia. So I am playing the waiting game.

The countdown is on!!!

I received my approval from the insurance company today. After only 8 days. NO MORE NECK, SHOULDER OR BACK PAIN!!! I need help now. What should I do next to prepare myself for this surgery. My tentative surgery date is Nov. 22 and my pre-op appt. is on Nov. 12. I will post before pictures soon.

Change in plans!!

So my surgery was originally scheduled for Nov. 22, it has now been moved up to Nov. 14 and my pre-op is on Nov. 5. I am starting to become a little nervous as that's only 3 weeks away. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for all of you ladies as well as for myself. NO MORE NECK, SHOULDER OR BACK PAIN!!!

Before picture

Here is a before picture. Wanted to be sure I posted one before my surgery on Nov. 14th.

Surgery Day

I'm having my surgery today. I'm already at the hospital with my hubby. I will do my best to take some final pictures before I'm on the other side.

I had my first follow-up appointment yesterday and my hubby snapped a picture. My stomach is so bloated. I had a some bleeding from the left side but other than that. I'm doing great.

Doing Great!!

It will be 3 weeks for me in two more days and I'm doing great. Still having zingers and my right breast still has some slight swelling. This surgery was so worth it!!

Small wound at the T incision on my right breast

So today I realized there is a small wound at the T incision on my right breast and I was in some pain. I'm exactly three weeks post op today. I've been doing too much and not resting. I'm not hurting so I think I can do what I want. I called my PS office and spoke to the nurse she told signs to be aware of and what to do. She said put Aquaphor and guaze and it will heal. I was a bit nervous at first because there was blood. I'm taking it easy from now on. The bleeding has stopped. I actually had to take a Percocet for pain and I'm feeling better.

Feeling so much better!

I'm feeling sooo much better. My T-incision wound seems to be healing fine. I change the guaze and put Aquaphor on it twice a day. I will post a picture soon of my new girls.

Current picture

Here is a current picture of my new girls.

Healing great!!

My open wounds have healed thanks to Aquaphor and guaze. I'm 4 weeks post op and feeling great. I have a slight cold but have never felt better.

Continuing to heal!

I'm continuing to heal wonderfully. I have been massaging my scars with vitamin E oil. I had a follow-up last week and everything looks reallly good. I'm still getting a few zingers but overall doing well.
I go back for a follow-up in February 2014.
Merry Christmas to you all.
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Larsen and his staff are simply the greatest. I have no complaints. When I called about my open T-incision wound the ladies were very attentive and showed me they were genuinely concerned.

you have a wonderful result, do you like your new smaller nipples?
You are looking good how are you doing
I'm doing great! 7 1/2 weeks out and I feel wonderful. Mild soreness under both breast when I move the wrong way, but nothing I can't tolerate. I'm finally able to sleep on my stomach again, but not all night long. I've not had anymore neck, back or shoulder pain. I'm very happy I had this surgery.
Thats good im still sore but doing ok
Your results look really good. I think you are the 2nd person on this board (that I have seen) that went to this PS. He does really good work! Congrats on the new you!
Wow, you look great! I just had my BR on Dec. 11. I too feel like my stomach is bloated. I'm still getting used to the smaller size, but I know I will be very glad that I did this. I just had a doctor's appointment today and he wants to see me back in a month. I am encouraged by how well you've done!!!
All thanks honey this whole experience with real self has been great everyone has been really supportive. I'm so happy that I can help someone else along the way as we all take this BR journey together :)
wow! congratulations! what a tremendous difference!
Thank you! I have not regrets at all about having this surgery. I have no more back, neck or shoulder pain and my clothes fit so much better. I'm anxious to purchase a bra but still have some swelling (mainly in the right breast).
Ikr I keep looking at my old breast...lol and I'm just amazed because I'm only 5'4 and had all that extra carrying it around everyday.
Congrats, you look great! We had the same surgery date! It's great being on the small side. :)
It most definitely is. How are you healing?
I'm doing well ;)
You look great - Congrats on a successful surgery
Thank you very much!
Thanks so much for the current picture, boob envy here!
Boob envy lol I'm afraid once the tape comes off I'm going to freak out over the scar
I thought so too. But it was smooth sailing. The tape came off smoothly and I only had one open wound from doing too much.
Yes I'm afraid of having a open wound myself I try not to do much but I can't help it..lol did dr.larsen take off your tape or did it come off by itself
They took it off in the office. I go back for a follow-up this Tuesday.
Me too I might see you there jonesboro right?
Yes, Jonesboro. My appt. is at 10:45.
9:45 I may be long gone well hope everything goes well :)
Same to you. Continued blessings on your healing.
You look good