Bilateral Masseter Reduction - Atlanta, GA

I went to Dr Kim last week to get botox for a...

I went to Dr Kim last week to get botox for a bilateral masseter reduction. He was very professional, helpful, and I am excited to see the results! It was clear that he tailored his approach to patients; spending more time with the woman before me who had dozens of questions and straight to the point with me (exactly how I like it). Though I might move 1.5-2 hours away, I will continue to come back to Dr. Kim for my procedures.

Background: About 11 years ago, I started lifting...

Background: About 11 years ago, I started lifting weights and working out heavily. Due to the exertion, I clenched my jaw/bit down occasionally when lifting which resulted in a bilateral masseter muscle hypertrophy, more on the right than left though possibly due to a slight misalignment of my jaw. Because the misalignment isn't large, surgery is too invasive but I wanted to cosmetically fix the issue.

Procedure: I received botox on the left and right masseter muscles (I believe it was approx. 45 units on the left and 60 on the right) on the same day as the consult. It was quick and virtually painless.

Recovery/Results: After 4-5 days, I have been able to feel a difference in the firmness of the muscle contraction and will have a follow-up 2 weeks after the procedure. There was slight discomfort following the procedure but that's to be expected when needles are involved.

2 month update: After the initial procedure, I got...

2 month update: After the initial procedure, I got an additional 30 units on the right side, 15 after 2 weeks and another 15 after a month.

Below are pictures showing "pre-botox" (the day I got my first injection) and the subsequent 3 follow-up visits, including today. Because of the starting point (quite larger right side than left), it's still not PERFECTLY symmetrical but I am very happy with the results. I am getting back to some lifting now and, now that I know this is an easy and relatively inexpensive option, will check-in with Dr. Kim in a few months to see if any minor touch-ups are required. I just wish I knew this was an option YEARS ago when this first became an issue.
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decided on Dr Kim from Google reviews and am happy that I went!

It looks great! I love botox!!
You look alot better! I also scrunched my jaw together, not because of lifting weights. I did it when I was sleeping as well as grinding my teeth together. Because of doing that my jaw was sore in the morning, my teeth were getting chipped and the jaw muscles built up. Botox got rid of all this! My face is ALOT less bulky at the jaw, my sleep is better and my teeth are being saved. Yay!
Nice! I never thought of using botox but my mom recommended looking into it and I was surprised with how well it works. It's almost 4 months later and I don't see any need to go back for a while...
Your Mum came up with a great idea by the looks of it. Also, do you find you lost weight too? just because your mouth feels fatigued from chewing too long? I lost 5 kilos.. I chew fine, I just can't be bothered after a bit... did you have that?
lol i wish i had a prominent masseter i would never do this
It looks like the botox worked great! I have a question...did you have any other physical symptoms prior to the treatment? In other words, were you having any discomfort or biting the inside of your cheek? I an a nighttime "clencher" and have developed an enlarged masster....am considering botox. Thanks.
I guess in response to both questions: 1) The results seem to last a while; however, it will depend person to person based upon the reason for the hypertrophy. 2) I didn't have any biting of my cheek but I did experience some muscle fatigue (or that's the closest feeling I can relate it to) on the side that was more hypertrophied. At some points it was almost TMJ like. I'd recommend giving it a try. It's non-invasive and, if done right, VERY low risk.
Thanks for sharing. The photos are super helpful. Are the results still lasting?
The muscles don't feel any different than they did before. I can still tear through a steak with ease :) Functionally and comfort wise, there is no difference.
Has it affected your chomping ability? Does your muscles feel weaker than before? Other pain, discomfort, side affects other than what you mentioned?
Looks good, man. Can really see a clear difference.
The balance was the main thing for me so I am very pleased with the results. I didn't realize how much change there had been till I saw the full before/after pictures.

No side effects from the injections except for some minor discomfort shortly after but that's to be expected as you have needles poking into your skin.

Haha, yes that does seem a pretty normal side effect. Glad things have worked out so well for you! :)

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. Wow, what a difference!! I really had no idea that much change in volume could result. You have a great jawline, and you looked great before as well, but things do look more balanced now.

Did you experience any noticeable side effects after getting the injections?

I went in for my 2 week post-op yesterday and, looking at the pictures, there has already been a noticeable change. Because it is a slow change, it is harder to see just from a day-to-day mirror check but I have no doubt of its progress. I already received a comment from someone who looked at my driver's license and asked if I lost weight (no, I didn't...it's just the muscle change).

We did another 15 units in the more hypertrophied side to help the symmetry come along a little more and scheduled another check-up 2 weeks from now.

Can you see a difference in the way the muscle looks, or do you just more feel the difference?

Glad you were pleased.