52 Year Old with Invisalign - Atlanta, GA

I decided to document my Invisalign journey since...

I decided to document my Invisalign journey since I've learned so much from all the other reviews on this website. Hopefully, someone else can learn from my experience. I was supposed to get braces when I was a teenager. I even had two premolars extracted. But for whatever reason (probably money) braces never happened. I've always been told that I have a nice smile (go figure!) but I've always been self conscious of the crowding on my lower teeth. In the last couple of years I've noticed, due to the crowding on the bottom, my top teeth have moved. I actually noticed it in a picture and I thought "Oh my gosh that looks horrible!" I asked my long time dentist if he noticed that my teeth have shifted, and he said yes and that they would continue to shift as I get older. Well I can't let that happen so I talked to my grown kids about getting braces and they all said "Go for it!" My husband said, "Okay, as long as you don't get metal". So I talked to my dentist who gave me a referral to an orthodontist. I went to three other Ortho docs before deciding on my orthodontist. This website was good as far as knowing what to look for in an Ortho. My Dr. was neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. But I chose him because of his vast experience, three office locations (one is near my home and one is near my work), office staff and about 50% of his patients are adults. One Dr. I went to had this little kid decor and I just couldn't see myself there! I do have insurance that covers adult orthodontia and an FSA account so that helps. I had my impressions made June 10th, paid $950 toward my account and was told it would take 4-6 weeks to get my aligners. So, as of now I'm waiting...

My teeth before receiving my aligners

Here are some pictures of my teeth before the Invisalign.

My 1st aligners!

Today, exactly 4 weeks from when I had my impressions made, I received my first two sets of aligners. I had some shaving (interproximal reduction (IPR)) done on my bottom incisors. The technician used a tool that felt like a metal file and she ran it in between my teeth a couple of times. No pain from this. I was shown how to put aligners in and take them out and the fit was checked. I had to take them out and put them in several times while at the office. I was given tubing to bite on that helps to push the aligners further into place. Also, I was instructed how to clean them. I was told to use clear antibacterial soap and a soft children's toothbrush to clean them. I did notice that there were some parts on the lower aligner near my tongue that would probably irritate my tongue. Those areas did not curve into my gumline, but rather out. The technician was able to smooth down those areas. My Dr. told me that If I noticed any other areas that irritate, I could use a fingernail file to smooth them down. I'm to wear the first two sets for 2 1/2 weeks each 22 hours a day. My next appointment is five weeks away and I will getting a little more shaving (IPR) and ten attachments will be put on. I have my ClinCheck video, but I'm not sure how to put it on this website. Once I figure that out, I will do it. I'm pretty excited to have the process begin.

I have had them in for about five hours and so far I don't have any pain whatsoever. I do feel pressure, but not pain. I went to the Apple store immediately after leaving the Ortho office. I cracked the screen on my iPad, but that's a whole other story! Anyhow, I talked quite a bit to the Apple guy and I did not notice any type of speech impediment (yet!). I've heard that some people get headaches. I'm prone to migraines and I hope that the Invisalign doesn't cause me to get headaches.

Treatment plan

I forgot to mention that I have 20 lower aligners and 23 upper aligners. It should take about 12 months.

You have a gorgeous smile! I am prone to migraines as well (weather and scents usually do it for me) but the Invisalign has never caused a migraine for me. The worst liner, by far, was my first one and aspirin dulled the pain. Can't wait to see the end result!
Great to hear that everything is going as it should so far!  You will likely feel a bit more discomfort by tomorrow, but nothing unbearable.  I'm prone to migraines as well and I found that as long as I caught them early, they were manageable, but I do get them more, even just in retainers.

If you'd like info on how to post the ClinCheck, you can find it here.  The main hurdle it uploading it to a video sharing site first (we don't actually host the video, you just share it with us using the embed code).  I look forward to seeing it!
Hello and welcome to our Invisalign community!  You do have quite beautiful teeth, and I can see you'd have a beautiful smile, even though you're not really smiling in the first picture ;).  You can't even see that tooth being crooked until you open up to show it to us specifically.  But you're going to be so happy when things are lined up the way they're supposed to be and you know you'll have retainers to keep them from moving anymore.  At least, that's how I felt (and continue to feel).  I see my mom's and dad's (relatively nice) teeth have kept moving until they actually got crooked, and I'm so glad I have retainers!

RealSelf is a great place for us older people to come and find others to support us.  Some other places seem mainly to cater to younger people, but we've got a thriving community going here :D.  I'll give you some names of others you can go meet if you haven't already!  AreYouKiddingMe, shepherdqueen (actually doing it concurrently with her son :)), adam1995, Nicky.j, humbleoracle, Gwenifer, HelloInvisalign, knitsew, Cazzieboo, and Boyz5.  All of these people are a little older (at least in their 30s) and relatively early in their treatment.  But feel free to meet anyone else--everyone is super friendly!

And let me know if you ever need anything here on RealSelf.  I'm here to help!  I look forward to following your progress :).
Thanks for replying to my post. It's good to have someone to talk to who is going through the same thing as you. I'll contact a couple of the people you mentioned. Two questions, 1)How do you post the clincheck video or pics? 2) My Dr. did not mention attachments, and I do not see them on my ClinCheck. Does that mean I am not getting them?