52 Year Old with Invisalign - Atlanta, GA

I decided to document my Invisalign journey since...

I decided to document my Invisalign journey since I've learned so much from all the other reviews on this website. Hopefully, someone else can learn from my experience. I was supposed to get braces when I was a teenager. I even had two premolars extracted. But for whatever reason (probably money) braces never happened. I've always been told that I have a nice smile (go figure!) but I've always been self conscious of the crowding on my lower teeth. In the last couple of years I've noticed, due to the crowding on the bottom, my top teeth have moved. I actually noticed it in a picture and I thought "Oh my gosh that looks horrible!" I asked my long time dentist if he noticed that my teeth have shifted, and he said yes and that they would continue to shift as I get older. Well I can't let that happen so I talked to my grown kids about getting braces and they all said "Go for it!" My husband said, "Okay, as long as you don't get metal". So I talked to my dentist who gave me a referral to an orthodontist. I went to three other Ortho docs before deciding on my orthodontist. This website was good as far as knowing what to look for in an Ortho. My Dr. was neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. But I chose him because of his vast experience, three office locations (one is near my home and one is near my work), office staff and about 50% of his patients are adults. One Dr. I went to had this little kid decor and I just couldn't see myself there! I do have insurance that covers adult orthodontia and an FSA account so that helps. I had my impressions made June 10th, paid $950 toward my account and was told it would take 4-6 weeks to get my aligners. So, as of now I'm waiting...

My teeth before receiving my aligners

Here are some pictures of my teeth before the Invisalign.

My 1st aligners!

Today, exactly 4 weeks from when I had my impressions made, I received my first two sets of aligners. I had some shaving (interproximal reduction (IPR)) done on my bottom incisors. The technician used a tool that felt like a metal file and she ran it in between my teeth a couple of times. No pain from this. I was shown how to put aligners in and take them out and the fit was checked. I had to take them out and put them in several times while at the office. I was given tubing to bite on that helps to push the aligners further into place. Also, I was instructed how to clean them. I was told to use clear antibacterial soap and a soft children's toothbrush to clean them. I did notice that there were some parts on the lower aligner near my tongue that would probably irritate my tongue. Those areas did not curve into my gumline, but rather out. The technician was able to smooth down those areas. My Dr. told me that If I noticed any other areas that irritate, I could use a fingernail file to smooth them down. I'm to wear the first two sets for 2 1/2 weeks each 22 hours a day. My next appointment is five weeks away and I will getting a little more shaving (IPR) and ten attachments will be put on. I have my ClinCheck video, but I'm not sure how to put it on this website. Once I figure that out, I will do it. I'm pretty excited to have the process begin.

I have had them in for about five hours and so far I don't have any pain whatsoever. I do feel pressure, but not pain. I went to the Apple store immediately after leaving the Ortho office. I cracked the screen on my iPad, but that's a whole other story! Anyhow, I talked quite a bit to the Apple guy and I did not notice any type of speech impediment (yet!). I've heard that some people get headaches. I'm prone to migraines and I hope that the Invisalign doesn't cause me to get headaches.

Treatment plan

I forgot to mention that I have 20 lower aligners and 23 upper aligners. It should take about 12 months.

2nd set of aligners

Well, I've had my Invisalign 5 weeks tomorrow. I'm finishing my second set of aligners and I am about to put in my third set tomorrow. I go to the ortho tomorrow and he will put on my attachments. Observations I've made thus far: Snacking is really a hassle. (I didn't know how much I snack!) Can't even get a sample when at Costco! I've been on vacation that last couple of weeks so it's not so bad, but once I go back to work. I'll be snacking on water.
Just a warning for those of you that attend church and take communion...the communion really sticks to the aligners! So make sure you keep it near the roof of your mouth. When I put in the second set, I again had to file down the same exact area as in the first set. So I'm assuming all the rest will be like that if they use the same molds to make the aligners. I haven't had any severe pain, just more of an ache the first couple days with the 2nd aligners.
For on the go cleaning and when water is not available I've use these dental appliance wipes called "Cleanse, Freshen, Go". There is also a spray bottle available. I bought sample sizes of both on Amazon. The wipes work good in a pinch. The spray needs water to rinse it off.
So far, I'm glad I did it1

Aligners 3-6

We'll I went to the orthodox doc yesterday and I had 11 attachments put on. I have one on the top right incisor which ican clearly see. In my picture you can see the ones on my eye (canine) teeth. One of the attachments came off the first time took the aligner off and as of today one more has come off. I have an appointment tomorrow to have them reinstalled. I feel more pressure now that I have the attachments. I did wake up around 1:00 am with some discomfort, I took two Tylenol and went back to sleep. In the morning I was fine. Again I had to file down a couple of areas that we're hurting my tongue. The attachments do rub when the aligners are out.
I bought a portable sonic toothbrush to leave at work. It was $12.99 at Beth, Bath, and Beyond (with the 20% coupon). I'll let you know how it works out.

Loved your comment about the Host. I have decided that I will keep receiving it, since it does not contain any sugar.
Thank you for the update!  I'm sorry to hear about the attachments.  I lost one during my treatment and have read of some who have lost them eight or nine times!  I hope after this you're done--it's a pain to have to keep going back, and you always have that niggling feeling that every hour they're not doing their job, it's slowing down your results :-/.  Hopefully this will be it for you :D.

What was the brand of the toothbrush?
Your teeth are beautiful! The shape of them makes me envision that your results will be amazing! Good luck with your journey!
Thank you for the update!  It's funny how going through Invisalign can really change habits.  I never snack on fruit samples at Whole Foods anymore, cause I'm just so used to not being able to snack.  I skip meals a lot, though, so I do snack instead while I'm at home.
Hi!  Wondering how things are going for you.  You should have gone through a couple of aligners by now?
You have a gorgeous smile! I am prone to migraines as well (weather and scents usually do it for me) but the Invisalign has never caused a migraine for me. The worst liner, by far, was my first one and aspirin dulled the pain. Can't wait to see the end result!
Great to hear that everything is going as it should so far!  You will likely feel a bit more discomfort by tomorrow, but nothing unbearable.  I'm prone to migraines as well and I found that as long as I caught them early, they were manageable, but I do get them more, even just in retainers.

If you'd like info on how to post the ClinCheck, you can find it here.  The main hurdle it uploading it to a video sharing site first (we don't actually host the video, you just share it with us using the embed code).  I look forward to seeing it!
Hello and welcome to our Invisalign community!  You do have quite beautiful teeth, and I can see you'd have a beautiful smile, even though you're not really smiling in the first picture ;).  You can't even see that tooth being crooked until you open up to show it to us specifically.  But you're going to be so happy when things are lined up the way they're supposed to be and you know you'll have retainers to keep them from moving anymore.  At least, that's how I felt (and continue to feel).  I see my mom's and dad's (relatively nice) teeth have kept moving until they actually got crooked, and I'm so glad I have retainers!

RealSelf is a great place for us older people to come and find others to support us.  Some other places seem mainly to cater to younger people, but we've got a thriving community going here :D.  I'll give you some names of others you can go meet if you haven't already!  AreYouKiddingMe, shepherdqueen (actually doing it concurrently with her son :)), adam1995, Nicky.j, humbleoracle, Gwenifer, HelloInvisalign, knitsew, Cazzieboo, and Boyz5.  All of these people are a little older (at least in their 30s) and relatively early in their treatment.  But feel free to meet anyone else--everyone is super friendly!

And let me know if you ever need anything here on RealSelf.  I'm here to help!  I look forward to following your progress :).
Thanks for replying to my post. It's good to have someone to talk to who is going through the same thing as you. I'll contact a couple of the people you mentioned. Two questions, 1)How do you post the clincheck video or pics? 2) My Dr. did not mention attachments, and I do not see them on my ClinCheck. Does that mean I am not getting them?
Not sure how I missed this question!  I answered about the ClinCheck above, but as for the attachments, I think they usually show in the full ClinCheck video, but they don't show them in the plain before/after shots.  It is possible that you won't have any attachments, but highly unlikely.  Have you asked your doctor--nearly a month has passed since you asked this question :-/