Upper and Lower Blepharoplasty and CO2 Laser Resurfacing

I just had the surgery 2 days ago, so I don't know...

I just had the surgery 2 days ago, so I don't know yet if it is worth it or not! However, the first day (right after the surgery) my eyes looked great other than the redness and stitches showing! I was excited. Then, the swelling set in and now I am really swollen and the lasered skin under my eyes is very red and oozing. Gross, but I know this is to be expected. I went to a very experienced facial plastic surgeon and have confidence in him but I'm still nervous, as you aren't gauranteed specific results.

I'm 40 years old (almost 41) and had virtually no visible upper eyelid before the surgery, with my eyes open and the bags under my eyes really bothered me too. The wrinkles weren't too bad, but I had crepey skin there and some crows feet.

I THINK I'm going to be very pleased ultimately, with the results, but I know it could be a month or so before things start looking good. The redness will probably be longer than that. I'll post more when I have more to share!

It is now Day 8 after surgery and I'm looking much...

It is now Day 8 after surgery and I'm looking much better.  I have experienced some dry eyes and my plastic surgeon recommended I start using Restasis (perscription that cost $280 without insurance!  Yikes!  There is no generic) and that has helped a lot.  The Restasis helps your eyes produce more of their own natural tears.  So, I'm using that twice a day and the Refresh tears about 6-8 times a day.  The redness is more pink now and most of the skin is all healed over (FINALLY).   The main issue with the lasered areas is itchiness, due to the healing.

I think by Friday it is going to be OK to wear make-up (doc said it was ok by then).  Today is my last day of wearing Aquaphor all over my eyes, so I'll be glad to finish that up.  It's so annoying having your hair stick to your face and get all gross.  Ick.

I also have to warn you if you have an office job where you are on the computer a lot you should take frequent breaks.  My eyes get very tired looking at the computer for most of the day.  The doctor told me that I should expect this.    My conjunctiva is swollen and that is why I have the dry eye and the tired eyes.

I'm already very glad I did this and I think the most important thing is to find a very good and experienced FACIAL or occouplastic surgeon.   My surgery was not inexpensive by any means but think how much it could cost you if you are not pleased with the results and there are problems and you have to go to another surgeon to fix them?  I read that your best opportunity for an optimal outcome is your FIRST surgery.  It becomes more complex and risky with subsequent surgeries.

Thank you to all of you who have written comments.  I appreciate it and thanks for the nice things some of you said!  :)

Hi! I am still pleased with the results and it has...

Hi! I am still pleased with the results and it has been almost three years. I have some wrinkles and crepey skin under my eyes again now that some time has passed. Things have just "settled" and believe it or not all the swelling didn't go away for a year. I didn't realize I was still a tad swollen until later when I looked back at pictures. Overall, absolutely no regrets!
Marietta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experienced facial plastic surgeon. Uses new techniques and works in a teaching hospital environment.

Hi Anne: Thank you for your posting. I am having upper and lower eyelid surgery tomorrow 1/3/2014. My xmas gift to me. I am nervous. I am also have a total face CO2 Laser. Are you still happy with your results. I am mostly nervous about the lower eye surgery because of the risks of dry eye, etc. sometimes not showing up for many months post surgery. Did you experience anything negative.
Thinking about you today!  I hope you are doing well :)
hi, could you add some nex pics :)
Thanks for the helpful and detailed review. I have been looking at this procedure and the information is really helpful. Thanks also for sharing your before and after pictures. Definitely worth 1000 words in terms of knowing what to expect.
Hi, Cody. I did have the upper and lower transconjunctival bleph and CO2 laser around my eye area. I did not have fat repositioning but that sounds cool!

I REALLY do wish I had done the full face CO2 because while you are hiding from everyone and healing you might as well go for it! The laser was the hardest thing to recover from because it oozed, looked gross and the glop you wear on your face while it heals is messy (everything sticks to it). I recommend using Aquaphor on your lasered skin while it is healing. DO NOT let it dry out or it will tear and ooze/bleed more and then take longer to heal. It is very crucial that you keep it moist during the healing period.

I also had Fraxel on my face in the past. It was just a big of a mess and it didn't last as long. I'd go for the CO2 if I were you.

My doctor is "double board certified facial plastic surgeon" in Marietta, GA. If you are logged into Real Self, you can look in my above review to see his name and contact information. He is good. I don't know which doctor you should go to without knowing more about them but the second one sounds better to me from what you shared. Ask to see a lot of their "before" and "after" shots.

Remember, that plastic surgery results are never gauranteed. It is a risk to have procedures performed. Things don't always turn out perfectly, but if you go to a very good doctor, you should be able to minimize the risk. That's why I paid so much for this procedure and I don't regret it. Lastly, I would suggest you taking Arnica Montana to minimize swelling and bruising for a week or so before the procedure (it is a natural supplement. You can get it at a health food store or maybe your doctor's office carries it). I also used a topical skincare product from their office, which bleached the rest of the skin on my face prior to the procedure so there wouldn't be too much of a difference between the skin that was lasered and the skin that was not. In time that has changed though...my hyperpigmentation is very stubborn. Good luck!
Ann, me again! I am going to have the same thing you had done: upper and lower bleph (lower transconjunctival) with fat repositioning) with CO2 laser resurfacing. One Dr recommends full face resurfacing (I have lots of sun damage from back in the day); the other recommended the same that you had, under the eyes.

I am deciding between two doctors. One is a board certified otolaryngologist trained in facial plastic surgery; the other is a board certified ophthalmologist with plastics and aesthetic specialties.

Most of my concerns are about the laser resurfacing. I just don't know much about it and there is so much negative posted here about people ending up with grid marks, etc. But then I see gorgeous results by others. And the doctors rave about it. It seems that after each consult, I research and THEN have a million questions. I wish I could think of these Qs on the spot during the consults. But I would not have known to ask "will I have lingering dot/grid marks?"

Anyway, my question for you is, you said you had your procedures done by a "facial plastic surgeon". What were the doctor's credentials? I keep reading Dr postings which say: "be sure it's a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon" but frankly, all my consults with BCPSs ended up with transcutaneous (external lower incision) bleph recommendations, and after researching, I don't want that. And the Board Certified PSs mostly do breasts and tummy tucks. I think having a face/eye expert makes sense.

What was your doctor? Did he have you do any facial regimen preparation before being "lasered"? Did you have an obvious line of demarcation from the lasered eye area to the lower face? Thanks!
Hi, I am mark. Thanks for sharing great knowledge regarding to Eye.
Ann, it looks great! Are you still happy? How long did it take for the redness to go away? I am scheduled to have this done. In my case, it's a transconjunctival lower bleph. Is that what you had? Or did they cut under the eye and remove excess skin?

Congrats on your results!
me ? I will have my daughter take some recent new photos ....I still love my eyes ! Thanks so much !
Could you post a picture of yourself 2 to 3 weeks post surgery

I would love to see some after photos now that you're all healed! I have to say, you had absolutely gorgeous eyes beforehand, so they must be positively stunning now!

I am thinking of having the same thing done. Can you post pics of they way you look now? Thanks!
Awww ...thanks so much for your sweet compliments and YES YES YES I am so very happy ! I wish that he had maybe been just a tad more aggressive as there is a tiny little drooping at the incision line , but nothing that cannot be revised if I decide to. However , I think Dr Berg is fantastic ...hes not big on personality but he is big on talent which is way more important in a surgeon to me. I am having so much fun with eye shadows and liners , something I too had avoided for years because it was not showing. I hope you decide to go for it , it took a lot of years from my face and I could not be happier. Thanks again ! Don't forget to post your before and afters ! Kat :)
I am thinking of having the upper eyelids done by the same surgeon. I was wondering if you are just as happy now that all the swelling is down? You looked great before the surgery!
i sooo want your eyes, wow, i love them...the last pic, i want that to be my results when i get this later on in life...i always look tired even when im not , i dont bother to use eye shadow cause you cant see it...wow, great results.
Oh, and YES! I love wearing eye make-up now! It is really fun!
It has been about 2 weeks since my surgery/procedures. I'm very pleased. I have a bit of swelling still and my face is still pink under my eyes but it is SO much better and can easily be covered with make-up. My surgeon did a nice job. I have some assymetry on the upper lids, but we'll see if once the swelling is completely gone if that remains.
You look beautiful Ann ...well worth the pain ...isn't it fun to put on eyeshadow again ? Oh my that is the best part to have a LID again :) Happy Holidays sweetie ..enjoy your new face ....fantastic job ! Kat
I had CO2 lasering exactly as you've done. That was 13 years ago and the result is still quite remarkable. On the fourth night after surgery, I was miserable. My eyes kept watering, or so I thought. When I got up the next morning, nearly all the swelling was gone. What I'd felt was the water "leaking" from underneath the skin. After that, it was just a matter of getting rid of the redness. On me that took about nine months. But make-up, expecially a green stick, covered the redness really well. You look great now and will look just that much better in about two weeks. Keep your chin up!
I appreciate the comments. I'm already seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm excited to wear some make-up soon!
Im so excited, Can't wait to see more of your results. Im having the smae done and cant wait to see how you look, You are very Beautiful.
I can't wait to see more of your results,, Im going to have the same done. I found your posting and now I am waiting to see how your doing. YOu looked wonderful before so im sure after you heal you will be drop dead beautiful:.)
Hi ! You are adorable ! I think you are going to be very pleased with your results. What does the c02 laser do ? Does it remove wrinkles ? Does it remove dark circles ? I have such dark circles that I look like I have two black eyes ...will it help with that ? I can't wait to see more of your results ....please keep us posted !!! Kat
Kat: I'm not sure if the CO2 laser would be helpful for dark circles. I did not ask that question as I didn't have that problem. It does greatly reduce wrinkles (deep) and I've read it basically eliminates fine lines and crepey skin appearance. Overall, it also tightens up your under eye area. Some people do this all over their face, but I was not ready for that. That would be a big step. Maybe when I'm older, I would consider the rest of my face? Who knows, by then, maybe there will be a new technology out there? Something easier to heal from, perhaps? That would be nice. Definitely look into it but be prepared. You will not look good at all for 2 weeks and I've been told the redness could last up to three or four months.