Day 4 After Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scarring on Cheeks - Atlanta, GA

In my 50s, I had acne scarring on my cheeks that...

In my 50s, I had acne scarring on my cheeks that bothered me since high school. Met a dermatologist at social event that said "why don't you let me fix your face" (though my face has never kept me from getting a job or boyfriends and husband of 35 years), I said ok. Used Quadralase CO2 laser, with numbing cream prior.

This is not for the faint of heart. Luckily I can telecommute---not sure I will make business trip to San Francisco on July 11. Pain is now manageable with Tylenol but I hate the constant "seeping."

EVERYONE assures me that it is like childbirth and when you see the results (in a few weeks/months) you will forget about the pain and discomfort...so I will provide periodic updates.

I do think doctors should show the before and "afters" at various stages of afters. Had I known this, I doubt that I would have done it, quite frankly.

Now 7 months post laser resurfacing and I am...

Now 7 months post laser resurfacing and I am disappointed with the results. The acne scarring (which wasn't real deep) is gone, but I have to still fight redness that I didn't have before, using green cover-up under makeup to minimize it. So pros, and cons, and it can't be undone, I'm not totally unhappy, but I am disappointed overall.

I had CO2 Deka Dot laser on my face, neck, and décolleté I have ice pick scars, very large pores, sun damage. It took a week and a half to be presentable, I had residual redness for about a month. I thought I saw some improvement at the two month mark. Now that it's been six months, there's really not much improvement for all that expense and recovery. There are many promises about laser therapy but I have found them useless (I've also tried Sciton Pro-Fractional, and IPL)
I just did dot laser of you want to check out my blog
Update from my June 2010 post re laser treatment of some acne scarring. I now have one of the TOP dermatologists in Atlanta GA (six months to get an appointment) and he said lasers are not good for scarring...scars should be filled with something like Restalyne or Juvaderm OR deep dermabrasion if you can afford the down time. Lasers are not what they are being advertised to be.
Can u tell me who your dermatologist is?
Who is the dermatologist? Thank you!!
I had laser skin resurfacing in October for acne scars. My doctor said she used erbium on my cheek where I had deeper scars and fraxel for the rest of my face. I was pretreated with hydroquinone to prevent hyperpigmentation which I was really concerned about. It's been 3 months and what a rough recovery. I did not expect the downtime to be so long. Going into it she said I would be presentable in a month. WRONG!The most troublesome side effects were redness and hyperpigmentation. Redness all over my face but especially on my cheeks and brownish discoloration on my cheeks,temples and mostly where she used the Erbium. I followed the after care instructions: wore sunscreen, stayed out of the sun and had to wear make up (which is very distressing for a guy). To say that it was very disruptive to my social and recreational life is an understatement. Long story short, it's been 3 months and while the redness started to subside, it was blotchy. I was more red in areas where she really went deep. The hyperpigmentation got lighter but still obvious. I was so sick of it so I consulted another clinic and they recommended Mealanage peel. It's been a week after the peel and so far I'm it looks like I will be HAPPY with the results. It did not hurt, but the first 3 days I was peeling like crazy and very red. This made me feel rather depressed and worried that I would have to go through more downtime. BUT after that the redness lessened and I could tell the brown discoloration has lightened significantly. I'm still peeling minimally and continuing with the creams they gave me. The results take up to 8 weeks for full effect. I'm very satisfied with the results so far. My skin looks more even, the pores are much smaller and the discoloration is lighter. In hindsight I'm still not sure if the laser surgery was worth the downtime. The scars have gotten shallower and my doctor says benefits from laser continue up to 6 months. I am certain though that I would not want to relive the past 3 months.
I had the Quadralase Laser Treatment on Friday June 8th in my eye area only. It is now exactly 5 days since treatment and most of my skin has peeled and only slight redness remains. I am already happy with the results and if what I'm hearing is true that it will keep improving , I will be very satisfied. The first few days of healing were no picnic, but definitely worth the results.
Fractional CO2 laser is very effective and the result last longer,Co2 laser resurfacing is risk and hars to the skin although if is done by a professional its has the best result ever.

Thanks for you post and your pic. I have had 5 Fraxel treatment and 1 Pixel and 3 chem peels. I still an not quite satisfied with how I look. Idk if there is any way to truly get rid of acne scars but I'm sill to try anything. I was wondering about the CO2. I heard it's very harsh

E-mail me your addr and I will send you a small jar of the Brenese Facial cream. I am confident it will help.
i am a beautician with a special training on microdermabration,laser skin resurfacing,slimlipo,photofacial,etc. from experience i found out that after a laser procedure the down time and after time recovery period depends upon individual skin type,lifestyle,and or professionalim of the easthetician or therapist. but however professional advice must seek before geting a laser treatment.

As is the recovery time after a laser surgery. I have a deep acne scars is this type of treatment is good for his type of scars?

VERY LONG! Give yourself 6 months to be completely healed
i am 9 weeks an my face is still red and blotchy
Please reply back ASAP as I am almost in hysterics! I am on Day 4 of Laser Resurfacing and my face looks worse than your photo but somewhat similar. I was told that I could return to my job by Saturday (in two days) as that is the day I am scheduled to fly. If my face looks that yours now how long before I can wear make up and work? My face is RED and blotchy and feels very dry due to swelling that is still present. I rinse my face every 4 hours and apply an ointment. I was never given any ice packs which may have helped with the swelling. My face is a mess! Can you add any advice as to how long this will last. There is no peeling or itching yet....SCARED! I will be waiting for some advice. THANKS!
I had my laser done on Feb 23,2011. I am still a little red and blotchy. They say the redness can take 4-6 months or a year. I am satisfied with it except foe the redness, I had mine done at LIFESTYLE LIFTS>

put egg whites on it at least once a day. It prevents scarring for burns. And put vitamin e on it.

I dont know about egg whites but they said not to put vitiamim E . Thank you
What type of laser? If is was full on CO2 resurfacing then you are in for a long/ rough ride. However if it was just fraxel then your healing time should be 1 month tops. Good luck
hey, my sympathies go out to you. i suggest you to go in for some good acne vitamins as these could be of help...
Time for an update!

Thanks for sharing your experience! How are you feeling now?