Very Unhappy with my Blepharoplasty (Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift)

I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who...

I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has had Eyelid lift (blepharoplasty).

I am 41 years old, and had upper and lower eyelids done has been 10 days ago. My swelling is down and most of the bruising, except for the dark purple ones on the left and right of my eyes. I feel like I look plastic - like one of my daugher's Bratz dolls or something. My eyelids don't seem to open all the way. When I look up my lids feel very tight and my eyes take a weird shape- like they can't retract into my eye sockets properly. Besides, one of my bottom lids seem droop a little. The overall effect makes me look like I am half asleep, or had to much to drink. Plus, I feel like the doctor shaped them wierdly, with the upper lids too high in the corners towards my nose.

I am feeling really self conscious. I did not tell anyone at work I was doing this, and I am totally paranoid that everyone notices that I look weird. I spent days looking at before and after pictures online, and none seem as drastic as the difference I feel about my appearence. I do realize this procedure takes time to heal, but somehow I can't imagine ever looking normal again.

My lower lids (bags) have bothered me for years and I would have done anything to get rid of them. The uppers were a little puffy but otherwise not too bad, but I would not have gone through with this had I known what it entailed and the potential length of recovery. The doctor/nurses told me I would be "fine" in a few weeks. I would appreciate sharing experiences with anyone else here who has undergone this procedure.

Will post some photos as soon as I get my camera fixed.

Thanks!

Hello, It has been 3 1/2 months since my eye...

Hello, It has been 3 1/2 months since my eye surgery. My eyes look much better than they did at 2 weeks. However I still cannot look up the way I used to before my blepharoplasty. My eyelids do not fully retract to allow me to see properly when looking up. As a result I still look a bit weird when looking up but it is something I have now got used to. My vision has also been affected, as my eyelid seems to be in the way when looking up and my vision is a bit blur (only when looking up).I guess I have to live with this... My lower eyelid results have been fantastic but my upper bleph could have been better...

I just managed to take a photo of my eyes when...

I just managed to take a photo of my eyes when looking up. The arrow shows you the eyelid that doesn't fully retract into the eye's socket. As a result, my vision is blur (only when looking up) and my eyes look "weird".
Just wondering: is this normal? dfoes this happen to all of you who had blepharoplasty???
Thanks!

I am not happy with the final result- too much skin removed- eyes look hollow and unatural- crease dissappeared. On the other hand, my eyes look more "open" which is not too bad and look ok with the right makeup. But overall, had I known the outcome I would't have the upper bleph done!

I am 8 days post op & one eyelid has a bit of hardening around the incision line. I get a blur when I look up & out with that eye only. I'm massaging gently. Hoping it works itself out. If not I'll ask for a revision. It was utterly painless & such quick recovery! Felt great the next day! Good luck.
4 1/2 weeks our still swollen tried to put mascara have no feeling in that area. I also still feel sore going to wait for the makeup. Saw the doctor and he said he sees where the one eye looks like a lazy eye. he said he would not correct it till 6 months out. Said still swollen. he was kind of at first denied it but I was like I never had one eye small or or lazy eye before and showed him pictures from my phone and then he agreed. I hope it gets better and he follows through.
i just saw my old post which i wrote the name of the cream :) Contractubex ....Also, i mentioned about vitamin C and E which i forgot to mention now...I read someone stating physiotherapy but i totally disagree..This situation has nothing to do with it...After surgery as DR got too much tissue, i couldnt look up for few months and i looked like alien due to tight stiches..But then it itself healed with time...
Have you found a way to correct the hollowness of your upper eyelids?
Hi, yes actually! It looks great right now and i'm so happy that i did it, even though i didnt like my dr...I started using a cream that's sold at drugstores over the counter and that is used to heal the scars after surgeries and even after giving birth...But i forgot the name of the cream :( If you can't find it at your drugstore, i can try to find it here by a visit..I put it on my eyelid for like 4-5 months and then i started seeing the change. You really need to be very patient..It took me almost 7-8 months to look normal. Another thing i got vitamin pills, B and D, 3-4 times in a week. I never smoked cigarette but plus, i didnt stay next to anyone who smokes and i still do that..This is also important, i believe..i think they all helped it heal..I used to look like an alien, so ugly with the eyes and now i look 5 years younger...
To all the lady's out there who can't look up after having had a blepharoplasty.You can fix that with physiotherapy. All you have is muscle weakness, do it to its manipulation during surgery.They can help you with some electrotherapy.It is simple, effective and inexpensive considering what is at stake. It will also speed healing due to the increase in circulation and blood flow secondary to the treatment. As the muscles contract inflammation is diminished as well.
Do you get this electrotherapy at an eye dr?
Your MD sounds like a real human being. I need to see a good MD who will really look at my overall situation, which is similar with the lid and lashes turned up - so misserable. Can you give me his name and location. Really appreciation..
Dear Unofactasunt, My oculoplastic surgeon not only removed scar tissue under the lid suture but also gently released the outer portion of my lid (levator muscle release) so the lid would uncurl and close more fully. He said it was a difficult job because he, too, had to be careful not to overcorrect and cause the lid to droop. For scar tissue removal alone, it's mostly a matter of reopening the suture and doing a better, neater, flatter, more thoughtful closure. Only thing, there has to be enough eyelid skin to handle another manipulation. If you can handle the dry eye for 6 months or so it's better to wait before having anyone touch them. I found massaging the lid in a downward and outward motion several times a day with freshly washed hands helped relax the lid. Warm compresses seemed to help, too, even weeks after surgery. Best wishes.
He sounds like a real human being. I need someone like him to assess my situation. Can you give me his hame and locaton? Thanks so much for responding.
I have seen a great plastic surgeon like 2 weeks ago and he said i had the surgery for no reason..If i went to him before, he wouldn't do it. So, please always go to other doctors to see if you really need the operation. He recommended not to have another correction upper eyelid surgery, in stead he asked me to contact him 2-3 months later which will be almost 6 months after surgery and he'll inject fat tissue by taking from my body to end of the eyelid. He said this will make my eyes look not so tired and dull anymore and it'll correct the scar which looks terrible by the way and he said this will even help the lower eyelid wrinkles...i can't wait to contact him..My lesson from all this pain is never trust a young, unknown doctor, always get 2nd and 3rd opinions and always see a prof. doctor who has recommendations...

For dry eyes, i recommend you use medical eyedrops, not something like visine which i heard after some time it affects the eye in a bad way. I've been using this eye drop since surgery and my eye dryness went away. If it doesn't help, my doctor had talked about a surgery where they take something (i dont remember its name) from your nose and tie it to your eyes so your eyes won't be dry anymore...If you ask your DR about this, probably he'll explain you better than me :)
whats your doctors name. he sounds great
That is so good to hear. First time I hear anyone talk about eye curled up. My lids turn up and expose sensitive underside of the lid. I've seen other ocularplastic MD's - they did not mention scar tissue, but I was thinking along those lines. One specialist said the lid needed lowered just above the eyelash area, but was afraid of lowering it too much. The crease in that eye (left) is obviously too high and there is other problems. How much did this procedure cost and was it in a surgical center or hospital. I doubt that my insurance will pay and I'll have to use retirement money. Really appreciate receiving this info. Have you had any problems since and did they tell you that it was dry eye as well.
When Dr. Scott Sigler corrected my eyelid in Edmond, Oklahoma, he also removed scar tissue along the incision line from my bleph by another plastic surgeon. Immediately after surgery I had tremendous relief from that dry eye, scratchy feeling and my lid no longer curled so badly at the outer edge. Sigler is an oculoplastic reconstructive plastic surgeon. I don't know if he does eyelid grafting, but he certainly has the credentials and he really helped me. Maybe removing scar tissue along the lid will help you, too, and it doesn't sound nearly as risky as a graft.
My eye lids turn up at the end and sensitive to air, etc. They say it is dry eye which I am sick of hearing. It's been 2 1/2 yrs since my surgery. Other Optomolagist stated that there was an over correction. I can't find anyone who will do a skin graft and it is even more scary hoping that another surgeon is experienced and knowledge to do a good job. I can move my eye lids, but can't raise my eyebrows as it pulls the skin tight making the right eye smaller and the left where a graft is needed even higher. Creases are one higher then the other and show bumps, etc. I can still feel the cut line from my inner eye and follows the crease across my eyes which pulls as being too tight also. REcently my eyeballs have started hurting, can't read much or watch TV. I am looking for a speical ocular plastic surgeon who can correct these issues. If anyone has had a successful repair and knows a good surgeon, please let me know as I am still fighting depression and no quality in life.
Hi just had upper and lower surgery 3 weeks ago. Lids feel sore. Eyes feel so tight and because of how he made the incisions one eye looks smaller and sleepy. The tightness feels like I have swim goggles on. Seeing surgeon next week. I cried yesterday because of the one eye being so droopy. I don't think it's going to correct itself because he shaped the eyes totally different. I just hope he's going to be an understanding doctor and try to correct this for me. if not I'm pretty screwed because I don't have anymore money to correct this with another doctor. I hope your corrective surgery turns out well.it can be very depressing when you're not liking the outcome. I will keep you in my prayers
ReginaG - how are your eyes feeling? Did you ever find out if you had a suture infection and/or dry eye? I am a little over a year since my surgery and have no more issues with pain or dry eye. I still do have the little bags at the outer corners. I had hoped these would resolve with time, however I guess he didn't remove enough fat. I am glad he was conservative rather than agressive. I will see him for my one year follow up next month. I will not ever go through this again so I guess I'm stuck with the smaller version of bags, lol.
Hi All,

It's been almost 4 months now after the surgery...The scars are still seen but i started using a medical jel lotion called Contractubex and after 2 weeks of using it, the scars are way better! I can't believe that but my eyes look better and the scars are slowly disappearing every time i use it. When i first started using it, it felt very itchy and when i asked a doctor about it, he said it means it's recovering. I wanted to let everyone know about this jel so maybe it can help. Also, please use a lot of Vitamin C and E if you want fast recovering. I still hate my doctor and i hope he goes to hell but i'm glad that there's hope that these scars may not fully but almost disappear by using some products without another surgery.
I'm glad to hear that things are better I'm 3 weeks post op. and I'm having issues I will try that cream you recommended also when you're talking about the vitamin C and E how many milligrams and how many times a day do you take it? I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you
Thanks a lot..I'm very happy now! I take Vitamin E, C and B 2/3 times a week..Once i took 1 every day, now i lowered it..Also, i suggest you also take Solgar's Hyaluronic Acid..I saw the results in 1 month..I'm still taking 1 every day after giving a break for some time..I drink a lot of water which i never imagined it's so important and fresh pomegranate juice..These all help a lot to heal and to fight against wrinkles..Please don't forget the cream as it created miracles..
Will tell the doctor for sure about the cream. You need a script for that right? I also have feeling like something is moving under my upper eye lids don't know if you had that feeling. I also feels like I have hair in my eyes. Maybe dry eye. Never had dry eye before but maybe that's what it feels like. What kind of drops did you use? The scars are think feels like a botched up job i hate to say. I have hope though. All I can do now is pray.
My doc recommended the cream but no prescription needed for it. He said many women use it also after giving birth to heal the scars..I suggest you use eye drop for dry eyes b/c i had the same feeling after the surgery..my eyes got so dry, i couldnt even see well..I dont suggest Visine b/c it's a terrible eye drop, i think..Doesnt heal eyes. I use an eye drop but i dont think you can find it in US..Blephamide...It's Allergan's product. I think you need to forget mirrors at least for 6-7 months..i hope you don't smoke..For better and fast recovery, please stay away from smoke and smoking people..drink lots of water.
Thanks for the info. I dont smoke thank God and no.one smokes in my house. Just can't wait till.this feeling of hair in.my eyes goes away. I also want to ask wery you eyelashes cut off? Mine look short. Im fair and I thought .by now I wpuld be able to put on makeup on them how long did it take for you to?
It took around 5-6 months for my eyelashes to be normal and long again..I also used something for them to grow them again as they looked terrible..I used Mavala's eyelash product, and Dior's..i think you also need to use something kind of serum..
rosepo - it takes about a month before the numbness goes away (lashes are the last to get feeling back). I lost some eyelashes with the removal of the stitches but they grew back no problem. I do have one "white" eyelash after the surgery. I pluck it out! Weird. My advice is to not tire out your eyes - they are healing. Minimal reading or computer work for about 2 months if possible. This really stresses your eyes and can make dry eye worse. Also avoid wind and sun as they do the same. don't worry about the peaks and valleys - the eyes heal at a different rate and you are probably still seeing swelling which distorts everything...