Very Unhappy with my Blepharoplasty (Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift)

I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who...

I am hoping to get some insight from anyone who has had Eyelid lift (blepharoplasty).

I am 41 years old, and had upper and lower eyelids done has been 10 days ago. My swelling is down and most of the bruising, except for the dark purple ones on the left and right of my eyes. I feel like I look plastic - like one of my daugher's Bratz dolls or something. My eyelids don't seem to open all the way. When I look up my lids feel very tight and my eyes take a weird shape- like they can't retract into my eye sockets properly. Besides, one of my bottom lids seem droop a little. The overall effect makes me look like I am half asleep, or had to much to drink. Plus, I feel like the doctor shaped them wierdly, with the upper lids too high in the corners towards my nose.

I am feeling really self conscious. I did not tell anyone at work I was doing this, and I am totally paranoid that everyone notices that I look weird. I spent days looking at before and after pictures online, and none seem as drastic as the difference I feel about my appearence. I do realize this procedure takes time to heal, but somehow I can't imagine ever looking normal again.

My lower lids (bags) have bothered me for years and I would have done anything to get rid of them. The uppers were a little puffy but otherwise not too bad, but I would not have gone through with this had I known what it entailed and the potential length of recovery. The doctor/nurses told me I would be "fine" in a few weeks. I would appreciate sharing experiences with anyone else here who has undergone this procedure.

Will post some photos as soon as I get my camera fixed.

Thanks!

I am six weeks post upper/lower blepharoplasty. Swelling above lids is just now going away. Looked like sausages hanging over the fold. Now it is beginning to look a lot better. It is still a little "stiff" when I look up as well but much better now at six weeks than at two! Under eyes still swollen in different spots creating assymetry. This is what bothers me the most. having two different sized eyes until the swelling resolves. I wish I had known this BEFORE I had the surgery! Its very disconcerting!

Hi Andrianna -- Welcome to RealSelf and thanks for posting your story. If you haven't already, you may also want to post your question on our Doctor Q&A Forum for some professional opinions.

I've heard of not being able to shut your eyes completely after surgery, but not the other way around. Have you asked your doctor about this?

Good luck and please keep us posted on the rest of your recovery. :)

Hello, It has been 3 1/2 months since my eye...

Hello, It has been 3 1/2 months since my eye surgery. My eyes look much better than they did at 2 weeks. However I still cannot look up the way I used to before my blepharoplasty. My eyelids do not fully retract to allow me to see properly when looking up. As a result I still look a bit weird when looking up but it is something I have now got used to. My vision has also been affected, as my eyelid seems to be in the way when looking up and my vision is a bit blur (only when looking up).I guess I have to live with this... My lower eyelid results have been fantastic but my upper bleph could have been better...

I just managed to take a photo of my eyes when...

I just managed to take a photo of my eyes when looking up. The arrow shows you the eyelid that doesn't fully retract into the eye's socket. As a result, my vision is blur (only when looking up) and my eyes look "weird".
Just wondering: is this normal? dfoes this happen to all of you who had blepharoplasty???
Thanks!
I am 8 days post op & one eyelid has a bit of hardening around the incision line. I get a blur when I look up & out with that eye only. I'm massaging gently. Hoping it works itself out. If not I'll ask for a revision. It was utterly painless & such quick recovery! Felt great the next day! Good luck.
4 1/2 weeks our still swollen tried to put mascara have no feeling in that area. I also still feel sore going to wait for the makeup. Saw the doctor and he said he sees where the one eye looks like a lazy eye. he said he would not correct it till 6 months out. Said still swollen. he was kind of at first denied it but I was like I never had one eye small or or lazy eye before and showed him pictures from my phone and then he agreed. I hope it gets better and he follows through.
i just saw my old post which i wrote the name of the cream :) Contractubex ....Also, i mentioned about vitamin C and E which i forgot to mention now...I read someone stating physiotherapy but i totally disagree..This situation has nothing to do with it...After surgery as DR got too much tissue, i couldnt look up for few months and i looked like alien due to tight stiches..But then it itself healed with time...

I am not happy with the final result- too much skin removed- eyes look hollow and unatural- crease dissappeared. On the other hand, my eyes look more "open" which is not too bad and look ok with the right makeup. But overall, had I known the outcome I would't have the upper bleph done!