BA for a Lady in Her 60's - Asheville, NC

I'm in my 60's and do 5 hours of pliates...

I'm in my 60's and do 5 hours of pliates reformer workouts per week, 5'5'', 125 lbs, married with no children. My decision to have a tummy tuck and breast augmentation, bumper to bumper even surprised me. Time, gravity and menopause in my early 40's were the culprits to breast which had not changed size but had lost much tissue, fiber and their abillity to point North. My tummy tuck was actually a skin removal since no muscle tightening was required (all those hours of Pilates paid off) and this procedure was performed on Christmas Eve, 2011.

My husband and I had last minute guests for the holidays who had to cancel and when my doctor had a cancellation, I was happy to be the fill-in. The tummy tuck was an easy operation, done under local anesthesia since there was again, no muscle involved. In about three days, I felt like really good and never looked back. The tummy incision was basically placed over my 1999 hysterectomy scar and, while it does run the length of hip to hip, I hardly notice it not because it's not noticable but because I'd rather look at it than hanging, loose skin that no exercise under the sun was going to improvie. My belly button is once again a "smiley face". One month later, I returned to the same doctor to have Allergan Natrelle Saline 350cc, left and right, areola incision breast augmentation.

My request was that he find an implant that would just refill my sagging, seemingly empty boobs. The following four or five days after BA surgery were again surprisingly pain free and then the "internal" med wore off and I didn't want to keep taking my pain medication and switched to extra strength Tylenol. The dreaded "morning boobs" arrived and were a real 7 or 8 on the pain meter. Finally, day 8, I got up after a no sleep night, took a shower, shampooed my hair and just sat in the shower with warm water running on my breasts. When I got out of the shower, I felt much better and this morning ritual was reenacted for weeks, because it provided relief. My doctor explained that so much fluid is draining to the bottom of the breasts and even some women experience a bloated belly. It made sense to me but it doesn't make it "kinder".

I bounced between "to bra or not to bra" because neither was comfortable for any length of time. Finally, settling on the wonderful Spanx body (torso) suits that are very, very lightweight. These Spanx provide just enough support to snug the breasts and comfortable enough to sleep in too. At about 3 weeks, I really got brave rolling off my back and slept on one of my sides, albeit positioning that breast carefully so full weight wasn't resting on it.

When I first approached my husband regarding my idea of a tummy tuck and breast augmentation, he was extremely supportive. That being said, when it was time for the BA, I did wait until he was traveling because I knew that "down time" was probably going to be longer than the skin removal from the tummy. A cousin drove and to my doctor's or and then new breast implants were inserted in a little over an hour. I'm now six and half weeks post op. My right breast in minutely smaller than my left and my doctor has offered to add Saline fill to the right one after 3 months have passed if I'm not happy with my final "look".

As of right now, I'm thrilled to have had the tummy tuck and the BA. Yes, I'm older than most who would even think to have these surgeries but a few upsides are: my breast implants will in all likelihood outlive me so I'll probably never have to pay for a second BA and secondly, and I'm able to see my toes again over the loose, saggin stomach skin and today they are painted Chanel Red!

Dr.John Hamel

Dr. Hamel provided a high skill level for the two procedures that I wanted performed. Being an Atlanta native, I've met a number of surgeons who could have done these operations. Dr. Hamel is located in my home city and that was important to me as well as his reputation. While beginning the implant surgery on my right breast, he discovered a cyst and reassured me, removing it and calling me as soon as the lab report came back benign. I've had several follow up visits with him over the last almost seven weeks - as often as I felt the need to have him check me. Probably just wanting to show off my "old-new" boobs. Yes, I'm very happy with the work he performed and proud of myself for saying "yes" when a lot of women wouldn't even understand why anyone my age would consider these two elective surgeries. For breast cancer patients and there are many my age, it made me humble to understand even a small part of the high fences they must get over to restore their breast appearance. Hope some of you find this of interest and I wish all of you the best with your surgeries, whatever they may be!

Hello Peridot,
I'm 19 days post op and starting to feel like myself again. The recovery process was a bit slower than I expected, but in all has gone well. I'm really happy that I had my BA done and would do it again any time. It looks like you got exactly what you wanted and you look great!
I think Dr. Hamel is excellent. His practice is devoted to making available procedures that are done under local anesthesia and that is the primary reason for the difference in price. He did three procedures for me since the first of the year: The first was my tummy tuck in late December, then breast augmentation in late January. I had a mini-face lift about six weeks ago. I'm absolutely happy with everything! I live in Asheville now but was an Atlanta native for years. My Atlanta girlfriends have paid incredible amounts for the same surgeries that I had through CLC/Dr. Hamel. I don't have any affiliation with his office other than being a satisfied patient. Please feel free to ask any other questions. I'll be happy to answer. Good luck to you and all the best, Elise
Hi, I live in NC and I looked up your doctor. I am very interested to get a smart lipo from him, it seems that his rate is very competitive. I cant find too many reviews of him, and he offers too many procedures and I am not sure what's his expertise...Would you recommend him? Thanks
ABSOLUTELY NOT~!!!!! PLEASE TAKE HEED, SEE A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON. How good can a plastic surgeon be with his office in a shopping mall?
He is not a plastic surgeon he is an emergency room physician that practices cosmetic surgery, he makes this aware to every prospective patient, Summer your above statement doesn't make sense seek a plastic surgeon then you refer to him as a plastic surgeon. Dr. Hamel has 6 different offices he performs his surgical procedures in Nebo, NC not in the mall, he just recently received an award where he was up against board certified plastic surgeons he has two plastic surgeons that frequently work at his Nebo surgical center he will work at 6a.m. or 9p.m. to meet patients expectations he takes pride in his work & it shows he will allow patents to pay half down of a procedure and make monthly payments directly to him without any interest I encourage anyone who has concerns about the above statement to come in for a free consult Dr.Hamel did not step into the surgery world without thinking people would questions his talent & education, some people have unrealistic expectations that Dr. Hamel has attempted to met for free with significant results that can easily be seen on a before an after.
I'm with you summer ....and I see where training specials are offered....but sorry I'm not willing to be practiced on....I must admit his boob jobs look ok....but hell no....why not just let your ER md give you lipo and remove your appendis....j/k....hell no
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm 50 and am just now interviewing plastic surgeons and hoping to schedule my BA for sometime in May. It's so nice to read about women in my age range who are doing this for themselves, finally. You look fabulous!
Dear TC: Best of luck to you in meeting your life goals including the very personal BA procedure. I'm not 10 weeks post op and have been very happy with the decision. No regrets about size, texture, profile or composition. They have "softened" and look in all respects like they did 15 or 20 years ago. Please let me hear from you once your surgery is completed. And thank you so much for your kind compliment. I'll post some new pictures at 12 weeks. Here's to all of us who have figured out that we aren't going "quietly into that good night!" All the best, Elise
My surgery is April 3rd!! It is coming up so quick, I can't wait. I will definitely keep you posted and I should post pics here pretty soon. Thanks for the support!
Dear Fit: Congratulations on your decision to have BA. May I offer a few simple suggestions: Now that you have made your decision, trust it and put it to bed because you know that you have done your 10 years of "homework"! Focus on the prepartion for your surgery date making the list of things that need to be readied prior to your procedure. One site, if you have not already found it, is Justbreastimplantsdotcom where you will find helpful information from women only who have had BA. One lady even posted a list of the items you need to have beside the bed so when you come home from the doctor's, you will already have the extra pillows, small ice cooler, extra batteries for the tv remote, magazines, etc. Of course, you will have someone with you for a day or two. You didn't mention your surgery date, but hopefully after a decade of considerations,it is in the near future. I'm proud for you. Let us know how you do and look forward to your future posts. My husband is a Texan so we smiled about your Doctor being from Houston! All the best, p.
Thank you Peridot! I'm 5"2 120lbs and a 34A/B completely deflated and saggy (stage 3 ptosis) I too have been researching this surgery for about 10yrs! I finally decided it was time My daughter is turning 11 and I am done having children. I hope my recovery goes as smoothly as yours, Im traveling a long way for mine so I'm praying there are no complications once I get back home. I will be staying in Houston where my PS is for a week, hopefully that will be enough time.
You look so great! What was you size before surgery?
Dear Fit, I was a 36 - 38 C going into the surgery but they were not a pretty sight....sagging, absolutely no firmness. I wore padded bras but removed all of the underwires because I had a history of fibroid benign cysts. Wires can aggrevate those cysts. All I requested from my doctor was to determine the implants size that would best fill my exising "shells". I actually saw him this morning and his younger nursing staff are are excited about my results too. Guess they don't have too many women my age waiting in line. LOL I would do it again in a heartbeat but women have to understand that there is some down time required and complications can and do arise. I was a Research Associate in the Stock MarketI for many years, so I know how to "look things up"....just didn't see any reason why if I shouldn't be able to do this elective procedure. Thank you for your very kind words. And good luck to you. All the best, p.
Thank you for sharing! I am 53 and am scheduled to have my 1st BA on April 4. I thought I was the oldest one on here but it is never too late as long as we are healthy and take good care of ourselves. I still have many years to appreciate my new body as do you even in your 60s. And we don't have young children to take care of during recovery so we can allow a little more pampering after surgery. Long showers are easier when you don't have to be caring for children. I like your attitude about celebrating life rather than regaining youth. No, we can't regain our youth but we can truly live at any age. My new proportions won't make me look younger but it will give me greater confidence.
Dear Momo: Good for you! Your post really tickled me because for us the motivation is a little different. I'm very excited for you and hope that your results make you smile! Please let me know how you come through your BA surgery and I'll remember on April 4th to be thinking of your "celebration". Good luck and all the best to you on doing something in your 50's that's no less than spectacular! p.
Almost forgot...I wish I had done this at 53! Again, best wishes to you and look forwart to your post post op.
Dear Finally, thank you so much - you made my day! I believe women should have a sense of self worth without being "self absorbed". Being partnered in a very happy marriage that came about with my 1963 highschool boyfriend in 2000 gave me the courage to think that the best days are to come and not in my rearview. I'm humbled every day that I wake up and am extraordinarly grateful for this life. Thank you taking the time to post - again, what a Jumbo compliment. Good luck to you and all the best, p.
You look fabulous! Most women in their 20's dont have a body like that!! Good for u, have fun with the new goodies.
Congratulation! You look great! If you don't post your age I would never tell that you are in your 60s. I can see you are well taking care of your body! You are also blessed with good genetics as you did not need a lift with your BA. Thank you for posting your story and pictures! How inspiring!
Thank you Zsuzsika for taking the time to post. I hope in some small way my story and photos do inspire women to be kind to themselves. We are given only one "suit" and it has to serve us for a lifetime. I have so much respect for today's women who are super beings with heir abilities to juggle education, career, families and frequently are primary care providers for their aging parents. With all of these "opportunities", our North Amerian women frequently are such givers that our needs are put on the back burner for many years, As a result, there is so much extra effort required to bring us back into our healthy "suits" after our bodies jump the high fences of the ever changing demands from childbirth through menopause. You're probably right about my genes but I was also blessed with a Mother who instilled good habits regarding proper skin care and keeping positive during adversity. She always corrected me when I used the word "problem" and would say: "change that word to "Opportunity". These surgeries are my grand opportunity to not regain "youth" but to reward and celebrate life . Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful and much appreciated post. Good luck to you in all of your endeavors. Elise
Thanks a milloin...I will be putting my before and afters on here ASAP. : )
Hi there Peridot!! Congradulations on your new additions. You look great.! Im having surgery on the 14th.
Congratulations to you too Mrs. Lindsay. Let me know how you do. My husband is a San Antonio native so know your Texas doctors do great work. Good luck to you and thanks for your email. All the best, p.