AQUAMID DISASTER...

I had injected aquamid in my cheeks 3 years ago...

I had injected aquamid in my cheeks 3 years ago and on january 08/2009 i had to run to the ER because my right side face was extremelly swelled ,as soon as got in the hospital i did a catscan that show an huge abscess after couple hours i see myself in the surgery room to have the abscess opened(i had general anesthesia).

I stayed 4 days in the hospital taking very strong antibiotics,after that i went home with a drain in my face that i had to change the packing every single day(it is very painful).After 4 weeks my right face swelled again and i had to go to the ER for the second time and they had to reopen the abscess.The pus never stop,it is almost 7 weeks and the pus still coming out.My doctor told me the only option i have is trying to remove the aquamid but in order to do so he has to perform a surgery and take off,soft tissues,muscle and aquamid resulting in a very bad scar right on my right cheek and a deformed face(dent).Now im taking clarithromycin 500mg 2x day and avelox 400mg.Im really scared to have my face deformed its not gonna be easy but im constantly pain.

I hope FDA never ever aprove the aquamid in the US.Never trust a doctor that use aquamid or any permanent filler, just google and you will se several cases like mine.

I live in New York and i was treated in the Mount...

I live in New York and i was treated in the Mount Sinai Hospital here in NY.

Stem Cell Facelift

I'm doing Stem Cell Facelift with Dr: Vincent Giampapa in New Jersey to fix the damaged Aquamid left in my face, I'm very scared but it's the only way to try to fix it as it is my own fat and he says stem cells help to heal as well. I'm extremely nervous but I'm praying to have my face as it use to be!!! I don't want to photoshop my pictures no more, I'm tired to cover with makeup or have to answer people what happened to my face! I just want to forget it all !!! My surgery will be next week on May 07 , he will perform also a chemical peel TCA. I will let everyone knows about the results. God be with us!!!

Stem cell Facelift

Today is day 5 after stem cell surgery to fix my cheeks, I can already see the difference but it's to soon too clap yet!!! I have to go back to the doctors office on May 15... By the way he also removed the permanent filler I had in my lips so I will probably see an improvement ... I'm very anxious, I can't post pictures yet because I look like an alien ...

Stem Cell fat Grafting

This picture is from the third week after my Stem Cell fat grafting with Dr: Vincent Giampapa .
I did my cheeks , my jaw line , temples and I got silicone removed from my lips as he did some fat grafting on my lips after removing the silicone & TCA chemical Peeling at the end...Until now I'm very happy with the results but too soon yet to celebrate after all the misery I had with the Aquamid!!!
He told me to wait at least 3 months to see the final results!!! I really trust him and I love this heart shape of my lips now, it's much better as I had a kind of clown big lips... All my friends said I look much younger and much better. I did my surgery on May 07 so tomorrow is gonna be a month but I will let the updates up

dont trust any doctor that use aquamid or permanent fillers.

Hi everyone, I'm one more victime of Aquamid. In my case, the initial result (nasolabial folds and cheeks) was funtastic, but 3 years after the product start to migrate throught the face , appearing that I had cysts. The physician that injected aquamid in my face died. I went to several surgical procedures, like neadle aspiration, that I did twice, with no success because the pruduct was not completely removed. One year ago, I found a dermatologist that did two incisions in two cysts of my face, that apparently removed the bigger ones. I continue with others, smallers, but I notest it in my face. I'm afraid of the ones that I have near my eyes. This last procedures left two small scars in my face. I tryed to make a complaint near portuguese authorities, but they say that this is not consider a drug, so it has no regulation from them. In europe is considered a dispositive. This is crasy, how can a product that is to be injected in your face and body, come to the market with no proper clinical trials. I read that Contura, that put this product in the market and give no support to the people with problems is trying to get FDA aproval
Sorry to hear of your issues with Aquamid, it sounds awful,. Be careful with the fat grafting and only have a small amount injected per time, if possible - putting a lot of fat in at one time can cause other problems.
Thankyou so much for telling us of your progress..it is so helpful to her how others are doing...from this clinic in india i will be praying for you and a success with the stem cells ...sounds sensible..please say how it went for you, what the doctor was like etc...all the very best, anna brocklebank.
Aquamid IS dangerous. I had an aquamid rhynoplasty to fill a collapsed rhynoplasty operation. I now have two tumors on the bridge of my nose. They said it will get worse and there is nothing they can do about it. Curse the surgeons responsible. It looks hideous and I am in more and more pain. It feels like some big eagle is clasping the bridge of my nose and squeezing harder and harder. This particular surgeon in Sydney damaged my face SO much from nerve damage from other procedures, cutting and burning my eyes. He made me pay for redoing certain things and when I pointed out all the damage and said I wanted a refund he said no. Any complaint to a health protection agency is a waste of time because they are only there to protect the medical people. He cheated on his wife with a plastic person that worked there and is utterly incompetent. THERE ARE SUCH LOWLIFE PEOPLE AROUND SO BE WARNED AND DON'T TOUCH ANY PERMANENT FILLER ESPECIALLY AQUAMID.
My God, your story sounds so similar to mine (and I am a doctor myself)..10 yrs ago i had aquamid in my lips and naso labial lines..apparently to no effect , then 4 yrs ago problems started , pain and lumps very obvious to me but not so to others..it could be hidden with make up but the constant facial pain and corneal ulceration leding to perriods of blindness made me quite suicidal..i saw as many experts as i could in the uk..all said nothing could be done to help....things then stopped progressing for over a year and then BANG on xmass eve the lumps really sarted growing and i developed a facial palsy,,my husband and children became frightened s did i...I then saw a dentist who did xrays and i saw to my horror that my upper roots of teeth and the bones were riddled with chronic abscesses...i laughed when the dentist asked "haven't you been in alot of pain?...so i have had all my upper teeth removed and am hoping the infection will clear in time after which i have a bone graft and implants,,(nothing can be done about the lumps as they are coiled round the facial nerve)...Early retirement and the upset/beakdown of family ties (my eldest just can't bear to see me at all and my husband who has been so kind just can't face sleeping in the same bed as me) all this has lead me to take drastic steps and i am now in an ayruverdic clinic in Karula India...yes, yes I know i am a physician but apart from removing my teeth and costing me a bomb in dental surgery western medcine hasn't been of much help......is there anyone who i can talk to or who will talk to me or email me..i feel so alone...all the best to anyone reading this ..i hope and pray we will all get better somehow, ***@gmail.com
I'm so sorry for what happened to you but the only way to prevent this happening again is posting your story even photos to let everyone knows about aquamid and any other permanent filler... I'm sure sharing my pictures helped lots of people to avoid Aquamid !!! My face is a little better now since then but next week I'm having graft fat into my cheeks to fix the dentation, I'm doing it with dr Giampapa in New Jersey so I really hope to leave all this behind and not to have to photoshop my pictures again.
good luck! i had fat grated to my cheeks twice, since my aquamid infection, and it has turned out beautiful! even though i had alot (and still have a lot) of scar tissue.. you cant tell by looking at me, but you can feel it when you touch my cheeks.
Anna, I read on this site there was a lady who had "Dermalive" excised (cut out) from the nasolabial fold area by a doctor in America. Which specialists did you see in the UK here who told you that nothing could be done? Have you tried a doctor abroad or emailing anyone else? Your story sounds awful and I hope one day you can find someone to help you. Enjoy your time in India
whoever injected you accidently injected it into a major vein or artery, cutting off the blood supply to the tissues on that region of your face. your face swelled up because you were experiencing ischemia, aka tissue death from lack of blood supply. it's fortunate the antibiotics controlled infection. i'd wager the surgeon opened up whatever got clogged with aquamid. all injectibles-even HA-based ones, can cause what's known in medicine as an arterial occlusion, literally, a 'clogged artery', that needs immediate medical (surgical) attention to prevent regional tissue death. this is an excellent example of how important it it to find a someone who's very experienced with dermal fillers.
if the filler was injected in a major vessel and caused ischemia, wouldnt what that lady experienced should happen on a date that is close to the injection date? she saying she experienced problems 3 years later... what do you think?
I almost have the Aquamid injection under my eyes until I asked my doctor about it she told me it is the worst idea I can have . when I came here I see what she meant by then.
i suggest you contact him or the centre via mail centro-medico.it and ask him about the treatment, i know the treament requests several procedures however you have to wait between them some months.. I did not do the laser with him but went to him for a problem with the hyaluronic acid, he is the number one of lasers in italy. kisses glo
Thanks alot Glogglo.I will investigate thanks to you
Does anyone know the cost of removing it with laser by the doctor in Milan? I plan to go there to have it removed from my face. How long is the recovery and how many treatments would it require?
Whats the doctors name in milan?
The doctor's name is nicholas Zerbinati
I googled nicholas Zerbinati and nothing came up.Do you have his website? sorry to ask
is nicola zerbinati without h and centro medico hope this helps
you might ask or search for needle aspiration. Fillers can be located as well as infections via sonographia. A needle aspiration device can extract infected liquid as well as identified filler and apply antibiotic solutions at the same spot without invasive surgery. Sonografia will help to guide the needle to the spot. You will need to search around while this is not a common device for physicians who apply fillers. They assume it is all fine. However, it has shown that the technic and insufficient sterile environment cause infections and problems. Of course it is always the product that is bad. Never the sloppyness of the doctor.
After reading all of this,i would never consider any more fillers of any kind,and botox is an absolute con unless you are loaded with $$$,s....because in my case it all all but disappeared within a few weeks.....to get any lasting results with botox,i believe you need top ups every 2 months at least,and i question what the long term effects have.? I have an friend who was a 'botox junkie',but now she can no longer afford regular top ups,it seems like her face is caving in ,and she looks far older than her years. In my opinion,the only way to hold back the years is surgery.!
I am due to fly in 2 weeks for surgery, I am going to the doctor who injected this in the first place, He assures me he can rmove most of it, I am very afraid as it is under the eyes. I just wish we had the Laser here in the U.K for Aquamid removal, Surely we have some of the best doctors in the world at Harley Street in London, I know from reading the Internet that the doctors in Milan have held many seminars here about the laser!!
alipapoo do you have some news on the procedure you had.. how are you now??? best wishes gloria
Alipapoo do you know what the nema of the laser is for Aquamid removal? Do you know of any doctors in London who can do it?
Hi Gloria I had two surgery operations to remove the aquamid. I have been left with scars under the eyes where he could not remove under the skin. I would say it is a little better but still not great. I would never go back to him as i felt scared being back with the doctor who did the injection in the first place. now i am looking for a surgeon in the Uk who can remove the last of it and try to make it as good as it will ever be. Not sure if the laser works kjin italy and it may be the way to go.I havent decided yet!!.
maybe you can help me: when I googled "aquamid" this thread came up, so it must be very effective for warning people against aquamid. I want to write my story and post pictures on this site. Do I click on "write a review" to begin?