AQUAMID DISASTER...

I had injected aquamid in my cheeks 3 years ago...

I had injected aquamid in my cheeks 3 years ago and on january 08/2009 i had to run to the ER because my right side face was extremelly swelled ,as soon as got in the hospital i did a catscan that show an huge abscess after couple hours i see myself in the surgery room to have the abscess opened(i had general anesthesia).

I stayed 4 days in the hospital taking very strong antibiotics,after that i went home with a drain in my face that i had to change the packing every single day(it is very painful).After 4 weeks my right face swelled again and i had to go to the ER for the second time and they had to reopen the abscess.The pus never stop,it is almost 7 weeks and the pus still coming out.My doctor told me the only option i have is trying to remove the aquamid but in order to do so he has to perform a surgery and take off,soft tissues,muscle and aquamid resulting in a very bad scar right on my right cheek and a deformed face(dent).Now im taking clarithromycin 500mg 2x day and avelox 400mg.Im really scared to have my face deformed its not gonna be easy but im constantly pain.

I hope FDA never ever aprove the aquamid in the US.Never trust a doctor that use aquamid or any permanent filler, just google and you will se several cases like mine.

I live in New York and i was treated in the Mount...

I live in New York and i was treated in the Mount Sinai Hospital here in NY.

dont trust any doctor that use aquamid or permanent fillers.

whoever injected you accidently injected it into a major vein or artery, cutting off the blood supply to the tissues on that region of your face. your face swelled up because you were experiencing ischemia, aka tissue death from lack of blood supply. it's fortunate the antibiotics controlled infection. i'd wager the surgeon opened up whatever got clogged with aquamid. all injectibles-even HA-based ones, can cause what's known in medicine as an arterial occlusion, literally, a 'clogged artery', that needs immediate medical (surgical) attention to prevent regional tissue death. this is an excellent example of how important it it to find a someone who's very experienced with dermal fillers.
if the filler was injected in a major vessel and caused ischemia, wouldnt what that lady experienced should happen on a date that is close to the injection date? she saying she experienced problems 3 years later... what do you think?
I almost have the Aquamid injection under my eyes until I asked my doctor about it she told me it is the worst idea I can have . when I came here I see what she meant by then.
i suggest you contact him or the centre via mail centro-medico.it and ask him about the treatment, i know the treament requests several procedures however you have to wait between them some months.. I did not do the laser with him but went to him for a problem with the hyaluronic acid, he is the number one of lasers in italy. kisses glo
Thanks alot Glogglo.I will investigate thanks to you
Does anyone know the cost of removing it with laser by the doctor in Milan? I plan to go there to have it removed from my face. How long is the recovery and how many treatments would it require?
Whats the doctors name in milan?
The doctor's name is nicholas Zerbinati
I googled nicholas Zerbinati and nothing came up.Do you have his website? sorry to ask
is nicola zerbinati without h and centro medico hope this helps
you might ask or search for needle aspiration. Fillers can be located as well as infections via sonographia. A needle aspiration device can extract infected liquid as well as identified filler and apply antibiotic solutions at the same spot without invasive surgery. Sonografia will help to guide the needle to the spot. You will need to search around while this is not a common device for physicians who apply fillers. They assume it is all fine. However, it has shown that the technic and insufficient sterile environment cause infections and problems. Of course it is always the product that is bad. Never the sloppyness of the doctor.
After reading all of this,i would never consider any more fillers of any kind,and botox is an absolute con unless you are loaded with $$$,s....because in my case it all all but disappeared within a few weeks.....to get any lasting results with botox,i believe you need top ups every 2 months at least,and i question what the long term effects have.? I have an friend who was a 'botox junkie',but now she can no longer afford regular top ups,it seems like her face is caving in ,and she looks far older than her years. In my opinion,the only way to hold back the years is surgery.!
I am due to fly in 2 weeks for surgery, I am going to the doctor who injected this in the first place, He assures me he can rmove most of it, I am very afraid as it is under the eyes. I just wish we had the Laser here in the U.K for Aquamid removal, Surely we have some of the best doctors in the world at Harley Street in London, I know from reading the Internet that the doctors in Milan have held many seminars here about the laser!!
alipapoo do you have some news on the procedure you had.. how are you now??? best wishes gloria
Alipapoo do you know what the nema of the laser is for Aquamid removal? Do you know of any doctors in London who can do it?
Hi Gloria I had two surgery operations to remove the aquamid. I have been left with scars under the eyes where he could not remove under the skin. I would say it is a little better but still not great. I would never go back to him as i felt scared being back with the doctor who did the injection in the first place. now i am looking for a surgeon in the Uk who can remove the last of it and try to make it as good as it will ever be. Not sure if the laser works kjin italy and it may be the way to go.I havent decided yet!!.
maybe you can help me: when I googled "aquamid" this thread came up, so it must be very effective for warning people against aquamid. I want to write my story and post pictures on this site. Do I click on "write a review" to begin?
I got operated on by a top surgeon on a norwegian hospital. The goal was to try to remove some of the Aquamid, but he said that it was to incorporated into my tissue, som it was not possible to remove any of it, but he cut out some of my lip and got it tested, they told me it was impossible to look for the bacteria that Contura claims it can because those can be found natural on the skin. I will try antibiotics and prednisolon one more time to see if it works, if it dosnt i just have to live with this mistake and try to warn others about it.
Im so sorry, but do not give up, get a lawyer and publish your case everywhere on the internet to allow people to know about this poison!!!!! Lets others to be aware about the damage aquamid cause!!!
i see your point and i am so sorry, i am living with the same nightmare but caused by hyaluronic acid which is even worst.. as none can expect what happened to me... after moths of inflammation i was left with hard pieces that are calcifications, i am looking for a good surgeon able to remove them at least the biggest ones and hope they will be able to do it not lefting me with these rocks.. actually i don't understand how they can remove skin tumors and are not able to remove fillers.. i read that in belgium there is a great surgeon who was also the first one to do a full face transplant on a french woman... i am sure there is a way to remove this stuff from the face.. where do you have it? i have it in nasolabial folds..

kisses
gloria
Thank you for your support. I read both your stories and I think its horrible what people do for money. They get rich from ruining other peoples lives, and they dont care. I have "worked" with this for three years now. I have done anything possible to try to stop the injector and Aquamid, I have a lawyer who is on the case, I also have a blog, I have reported the sideeffects and been in contact with many about this, and i am never going to stop. There is a site on facebook called "modaquamid" you can join. The next step is the media.
Gloria I really hope you find someone who can help you, and you are right, many things are possible today, like fex face transplantations. But there are risks and sideeffects with these operations. I dont know much about this but i think its possible to loose some feeling in the areas operated on, but its much better then having pain all the time. I think in a few years there will be more knowledge on how to treat permanent filler problems.
Hope we can update and help eachother:)
did you got operated? the surgeon removal did not work???
The surgeon removed some because its imposible to remove 100% but i will have a cheek implant as soon as I have enough money to go to the best surgeon in the US
Dear Joanna, I know what you been through :(

I just wanted to ask you if you had considered fat transfer to your cheeck? Ive too had aquamid injected to my cheeks when i was 19, and only to weeks later infection showed up.. Its now been 5 years since then and this summer i had fat injected to my cheeks. It was a bit hard to find a surgeon who perform this, because of the scar tissue and the risk of starting a new infection. But I only had 2,5 cc aquamid injected in each cheek and when i had the pus removed i think a lot of the aquamid followed, so it wasnt something i was that scared about. My biggest concern was the risk of uneveness and so on.. BUT, this summer i had 4 cc of fat injected in one cheek and 5 in the other. Ive feel like ive had my life back :) and im looking very much forward to my next injection in january, after my surgeoun has been on another conference.

Ps. I live in Denmark
Hi, Sorry to hear about all your storys. I got Aquamid injections in my lips, about 7 years ago, 3 years after my lips were swollen, full of lumps and painful. I got Aquamid injected in Norway at Christiania Park klinikk, LARS HAASTED, i got no information about side effect and he still, to my knowledge, doesnt inform patients that Aquamid can cause bad infections/inflammations, foreignbodyreactions, granulomas++. He told me my problems were made up and he offered me no help. Contura says they are going to help me, but are always draining and draining and never comes up with a soutions. They meen the problems come from biofilm, but when a surgeon opened up my lips in a painful operation he found no sign of infection, just a tissueinflammation. I have tried everything and nothing works. Aquamid is like most other permanent fillers a bad filler that you should stay away from, the side affects can occur years after the injection and there still is no good cure for them.