Upper/Lower Bleph with Chemical Peel Under Eyes -- Annandale, VA

Well, I had my upper and lower Bleph along with a...

Well, I had my upper and lower Bleph along with a chemical peel under my eyes done on March 13 (two days ago at this writing) and so far I look horrible. The swelling on the upper lid is pretty severe and painful. I did the low salt diet and cut out all the foods and drugs that could possibly cause bleeding (berries, garlic, fish oil, vil E, aspirin, Motrin, etc) and started taking bromelain and eating fresh pineapple 2-3 weeks prior so I was hoping for a better outcome. I have also been taking Arnica Montana 3 x daily since 3 days prior, icing constantly, and sleeping in the recliner with my head elevated. I have read the 2-3 day is usually the worst for swelling. I hope tomorrow will be better. I will post pictures once I am feeling better.

Day 5 postop - got to keep reminding myself to be...

Day 5 postop - got to keep reminding myself to be patient and to stay clear of mirrors. Went to the follow up appointment today and the sutures on the upper lid were removed. The nurse said the swelling should really start to dissipate. I certainly hop she is right!

Day 6 - 19 March 2013 The chemical peel finally...

Day 6 - 19 March 2013
The chemical peel finally peeled off last night and the bruises are starting to yellow. Having the sutures removed (yesterday) have really helped with the discomfort, but they still feel tight and a little painful from the swelling although the swelling is a lot less today. I am still icing a few times a day as it feels good. I am also still sleeping on the sofa recliner to keep my head elevated. I might try to move back to the bedroom tonight.

Day 7 - one week! Cabin fever is really setting in...

Day 7 - one week! Cabin fever is really setting in. I made my first venture out today (other than to the doctor's office). I went to an Ulta store to pick up some heavy duty cover up to hid the bruises and to buy some large "movie star" sun glasses. My eyes still burn and hurt a bit. Still icing and sleeping with head elevated.

Day 8 - slept in my bed for the first time in a...

Day 8 - slept in my bed for the first time in a week. Had to use extra pillows to elevate my head. I think hubby was starting to enjoy having the bed to himself. Swelling and bruising getting better everyday. Ventured out in my movie star glasses for lunch with a friend.

Day 9 - the bruising looks a little better today....

Day 9 - the bruising looks a little better today. My upper eyelids still feel a little tight and sore--especially at the outer corners. The incisions look sort of wide and uneven. If I look closely I can see the suture holes. I am starting to worry that they aren't healing all that well. I am considering using silicone scar tape but will wait until my next follow up next week to ask if this is advisable. Hopefully I am overreacting and everything is normal and will heal fine. I don't want to have Frankenstein eyelids!

Day 12 - I was planning on going back to work...

Day 12 - I was planning on going back to work tomorrow but decided to take a few more days off until after my second follow up on Wednesday. I still have some bruising and swelling that isn't covered all that well without caking on the makeup and then I feel I look sort of freakish. My eyelids still feel a it swollen and numb. Plus, my eyes have been tearing a lot in the outer corners making it hard to keep make up in place. I still feel that my upper right eye incision line is not healing so well. The scar is thick and uneven in several places and is causing a double crease effect I don't care for. Additionally, the corner of ny right eye looks like he stitched too much making my eye look slightly smaller and slightly "tacked" up. It does not look as natural as my left eye. I hope that this will resolve over time.
I had started an Obagi blender with retin-a regimen after my follow up last week but have decided to stop until a later date as the peeling and flaking was making the cover up makeup look horrible. I only need one problem at a time thank you!

Day 14 I had my two week follow up appointment...

Day 14 I had my two week follow up appointment this afternoon. The doctor assured me that everything is healing as it should and the uneven scars are still healing and once the swelling is gone should look much better. The stich marks should go away in time and if they don't, there are a few things he can do in the office. Hopefully it won't get to that point! He told me to come back for a followup in 3 weeks. I just need to be patient I guess! All in all, I feel my eyes look so much better, even with the scars on the lids.

So...I decided to start posting pictures of my...

So...I decided to start posting pictures of my recovery on a weekly maybe bimonthly basis. However, I found the really cool site that answered a lot of my recovery questions and issues and thought I would share the link. Lately I have been stressing about the unevenness of my upper lid scars and little white dots where the suture were. http://www.drmeronk.com/insidersguide/35.html

Day 22 the bruising is almost all gone, but still...

Day 22 the bruising is almost all gone, but still have some swelling, numbness, and tenderness at the outer corners of my eyes and along the suture line. The suture lines are still red, raised, and uneven.

18 April 2013 - day 36 I am very pleased with how...

18 April 2013 - day 36
I am very pleased with how I look so far but I am still concerned about scarring on the upper eyelids. It is easily camouflaged with make up. however, without makeup, i feel the scars are very noticeable. They are still red, raised and a little tender--especially at the outer corners. I have been using BioCorneum faithfully twice a day for about three weeks and I am not sure I am seeing much difference but I will continue as I figure it couldn't hurt. A word of warning if you ever use this product, be careful not to get it in your eyes as it really burns and you will end up having to flush your eyes for a few minutes.

26 April 13 - today is 6 weeks post op. I saw the...

26 April 13 - today is 6 weeks post op. I saw the doctor on Monday for a checkup. He noted that there is still some slight swelling under the eyes but he felt everything was healing well. I expressed my concern about the scars being raised and ropey in several places. He said I could start massaging those spots and that would help a lot.

9 weeks post surgery

Healing has gone well. I still have some slight numbness on the upper lids and corners of the lower lids. The incision site is still pink and the scar is ropey in spots. I have been using biocornium and massaging the scar daily in hopes that would help to flatten the scar. All in all the scars seem to be healing well and I just need to be patient. I am pleased with the results and have no regrets.

Three Month check in

Well it's been 3 months and one week post surgery. While I am happy with the results, I still feel like i have a lot of healing to do. I still have some numbness in my eyelids, and still occasionally feel some tenderness. There is still some minor swelling under my eyes that only I, and my doctor, really notice. The incision lines are still red on the outer edges of my upper eyelid but they seem to be slowly fading. There is still some ropey unevenness along the incision line on the upper lid in the inner part of the lid as well as some white dots where the suture were. It is easily covered with makeup so it is not that noticeable; however, I don't like how it looks and feels and hope it will eventually go away without further procedures. I am extremely happy with the lower lids where you can hardly see the incisions at all.

8 months after upper/lower Bleph surgery

It's been over 8 months. I missed my 6 month check up so really need to schedule one soon. The numbness is gone, or at least unnoticeable. I still have occasional swelling that might be diet related (e.g. Too much salty foods, alcoholic beverages) but I haven't really tracked it as it isn't all that bad. I am still not crazy about how the upper lids look at the incision and suture sites; however, it is still healing so I'll be patient. Also, It is almost unnoticeable with makeup. I am still happy I did the surgery.
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

I did extensive research of the procedure and the best doctors in the area. Dr. Price consistently was listed as one of the top docs in the area and the country. He also listed high on customer satisfaction I went to see 4 surgeons in the area and I felt the most comfortable with the doctor, staff, and location of the clinic.

Thanks for posting the later updates. I am 8 weeks out and PS says not to fuss about anything until 3 and 6 month milestones. This has been very helpful. I think you look great. How are you now ?
I must say that your before-and-after pictures are among the most impressive I've ever seen for bleph. Wow. That guy was worth every penny You paid him
I just had under eye peel dec 11th. , look like you did. Thanks for the follow up pictures. I feel like it will be worth it after seeing how great you look.
You look amazing! Though the recovery seems long, it was worth it.
Hi Arnolbe u look very very nice after surgery nice job! I don't see any scars on the lower lids or on the sides of ur eyes which it's fantastic.
Hi Arnolbe u look very very nice after surgery nice job!
You look amazing. I live in Chevy Chase and have been checking out Dr.s. Is there any way we can talk?
you can send me an email
Big difference! I'll keep in mind the long recovery.
You have done a 180 degree turnaround your eyes are lovely

How are you doing now?  Did the numbness go away?  Did the swelling reduce?  We'd love a review update to hear how you are!

Hi Jill81, I will do a Dr. review and post pictures. I'm not the best poster child for the procedure. I've had a few minor complications, bruise a lot and very swollen. I'll post now,

That would be great- as far as being a poster child don't worry about it.  We welcome both positive and negative reviews.  Honest reviews, including info about complications and problems, are really helpful to our Community.  Look forward to seeing it :)

Hi, It's been over 8 months now. The numbness and swelling has gone away. Every once in awhile I feel swollen. Not sure if it is due to eating something salty or having a glass of wine or what. I am still not crazy about the upper lid scaring. It isn't noticeable with make up. I really notice the incision line and dots where the sutures were. I am hoping they will go away. My under eyes look wrinkled to me and the doctor said he could fix it in the office. Not sure what that all will entail. I missed my 6 month check up. I'll have to make it back in to see the doctor soon. I'll take some more pictures and post them soon.

Thanks for the update.  I hear you on the swelling after salt/alcohol, the same things happens to me with my lower lids and I'm 7 months out.  Are you using any sort of scar cream?  I had a nasty scar on my eyelid from an accident and it took a couple years to go away, but it was also a trauma scar.  It did eventually fade.  Let us know what happens as far as the wrinkle fix.

I have been using a scar cream called biocornium for about 7 months. I use it at night and during the day. I can't say that it has really done anything but will continue to use it for awhile longer. The last time I saw my doctor, he mentioned another peel as well as tacking up some of the skin under the eye to tighten it up. I really don't want to have to pay for another surgery because he didn't remove as much skin as he should have the first time around.

I hear that, it is so expensive to begin with.  So he would charge you for the skin tacking?

Speak with the PS, he may be willing to do it (tighten) at no extra charge. Thanks for the update, looking good. BLESSINGS!
Oh My Goodness!!!! You look AMAZNG!!! I read all your post and all the comment before I looked at your pictures. Awesome work, big cuddles to your Doc! I see you had a lot of bruising, I'm not bruised so bad but my swelling is off the chart. I can barley open my eyes today, I'm typing because I woke up so scared at the amount of swelling I got on the computer to see if I could find someone who look similar to me at this point. Did you swelling ever become so bad that you only had a tiny slit to see out of and was your sight very blurry? Thanks again for all the great information and sharing your story.
Yes I did have a lot of bruising. I had the most swelling the second and third days. My eyes never were so swollen they didn't open but they got close. I had blurry vision for quite awhile after too. Maybe a week or so.
Thank you for your post. It really helped me to see everyone heals at their own pace. I just had my surgery yesterday and feel worse today! I was hoping i would be a fast healer but I don't think so this go round. I'm more swollen today than I was yesterday. Oh, well I hope it goes better tomorrow and if not I will just sit around and look like an alien for a few days if not weeks. Post new pictures when you can. Thanks again.
My second- third days were way worse than the first day. I probably bruised more than anything. Even though it's been 8 months, I still feel a little swelling every once in awhile. It may be from over exertion or diet. I try to stay away from salty foods and alcohol. A glass of wine now and then but nothing more. I will post some new pictures soon.
Your eyes are getting sooo much better. You look great, fresh and young! I pray mine comes along as well. Keep us posted you give me hope. Hugs, smiles
Wow, you look great! Did you experience any lower eyelid drooping during the healing process of the lower bleph? I am at 8 days post op and also had a fat transfer to the lower eye sockets, but am experiencing uneven lower eyelid drooping away from my eyeballs which is scaring me. Doctor told me this was normal and will heal in time if I massage the area upward which I started doing two days ago (no improvement yet).
Hi! Nope no eyelid drooping, however, I have a friend who had some severe drooping and had to get a canthoplasty. I do feel that my doctor could have taken more skin underneath my eyes as I still have some loose skin and wrinkles. But it's really strange because some days it looks worse than other days. I have been told to be patient and wait 6-12 months as often these types of issues resolve with time and the heeling process.