38, Mom of Two-Year-Old Twins, Ready for My Husband to See Me Naked Again - Ann Arbor, MI

Super excited and incredibly nervous! I can...

Super excited and incredibly nervous! I can believe it's just three weeks away. I'm driving myself bonkers thinking about it. I wish I could just relax and focus on the positive: a flat and toned tummy! I'm having a TT with Dr Sherick in Ann Arbor at the Center for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. I haven't seen any reviews here on him, but if anyone has had a procedure done with him or another surgeon at their office, would love some feedback. I have two year old twins so I am a little worried about the toll recovery time will take on my husband and family. I think it will be difficult trying to keep my babies at bay since they love to jump on mommy and be held.

This site had been a tremendous resource and has really been useful in helping me prepare. Thanks to all for sharing your stories through the process. I have my pre-op next week, so hoping my nerves will be set at ease and I can finally get some sleep. I have been letting my mind get the best of me, and am just really hoping my recovery is somewhat normal. A low, flat and straight scar would be even better.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery to those about to take the plunge with me, and thanks again to all who have shared their journeys here!

Pre-op Tomorrow!

Looking for some reassurance from my PS tomorrow about my upcoming TT. Does anyone have any advice in terms of questions I should be asking? Thanks!

Pre-op Over, Surgery Paid!

I'm surprising calm following my pre-op this afternoon. Best news I got was no drains! Yay!

Got my questions answered about diet, vitamins, and surgical supplies. PS said no need to go buy any steri strips or related medical supplies as they will provide all the things I need after survey. That also goes for the compression garment. Got the pain meds I wanted and Doc was nice enough to give me a script for Xanax to take the night before surgery (just in case).

It also helped that my PS' assistant had this procedure done so she was extremely helpful about recovery and how to handle small children.

Anyway, now I just have to remain calm for the next two weeks, right? LOL

I brought a pair of new Bikini bottoms to make sure he was aware of how low I want my scar. When I first met with him (a little less than a year ago) he wasn't sure if he could go as low as my C-section scar, but today he confirmed he could. Glad we can use the existing scar. I got marked up but there are so many lines everywhere I look like a roadmap.

Doc is also going to correct my umbilical hernia at no charge so he is racking up points! :)

The Ugly Truth

Took the this morning... Blah!

Mark up

I got my mark ups at my pre-op, new hip-higher bikini bottoms in hand so doc was aware of my preferred "style." So the top line under the belly button is the top of my bikini, third line is where doc will make the incision (right along my C-section scar) and second line is how high my scar will likely end up. I'm sure many have already commented and are aware that after all the pulling/ stretching of skin, and where the PS will rejoin the belly tissue; the scar will come up a bit compared to the initial incision. I was also told my PS will have to make a slight vertical cut at the bottom (I can't remember exactly why, but something to do with the joining of the skin). Getting excited but OMG so nervous!!!

Mark Up

Tomorrow it's ON!

Just a few more hours! I'm super scared but much more excited about moving on to the next phase and seeing my results. I know recovery will be a hard road but again I'm just trying to focus on long term (the flat side)! I'll update as soon as I am able.


Not going to lie I feel awful today. I felt really good the day of the surgery, was walking around on my own, going to the bathroom ok, even walked to the hospital vending machine at 2am. But holy smoked am I hurting today. I am SO glad I spent the first night in the hospital, highly recommend it to anyone who can spend the extra money. Nothing like 24-hour care when you are a big baby like me. Plus they make sure you stay ahead of the pain (something I'm learning the hard way now that I'm back at home). My PS came and visited me yesterday morning before discharging me. Looked at my belly and told me how things went well as I had no recollection of our convo right after I came out surgery. Said he found a second hernia so he fixed that as well. I told him that I was having extreme soreness near my breast plate (thinking it was from the CG) but he said my recti diastasis was ripped all the way up so that is where had to start the muscle repair. My incision doesn't even really hurt it's my sides, back and pubic bone that are in agony. Standing up is a nightmare, but waking really isn't bad one I get moving. I feel like I did a gazillion crunches. I took a pic when I was at the hospital but still hard to see what's going on. When my PS came the next morning to look at my BB and lifted the band aid I almost puked. He seemed happy with it so I guess that's all that matters. Just looks like a bloody hole to me. Said I need to keep ointment on it (what are others using on their BB?) and to change the band aid position around as to not irritate the same spot on my tummy with the adhesive. Said I should be good to take a shower today and to leave my incision tape alone. Suppose to just fall off on its own. So nervousness to see what's underneath! Pray the cut is thin and somewhat even. I hope I don't sound too gloom and doom, I'm definitely happy with how flat I already am, despite the mega bloating. Today is just a rough one. Last night around 5pm Is when things started to hit me. I wonder if the anesthesia has anything to do with blocking pain and that's why I felt so good Friday. So hard too with my twins too now that I'm home, trying to keep them away. I feel bad I can't help my husband. I'm sure it will get better each day. Thanks to all for the well wishes and support!!


Took this at the hospital about 10 hours post op

Four days post op

Finally got the strength to take a shower for the first time: AH-mazig. Felt great afterwards. Swollen and sore, pain is about a 7. TG for my mom and hubby because I am useless in terms of caring for my twins. Feel horrible and I can tell it's taking a toll on my husband. Would be great if I could have a BM. Four days now and I've tried everything.

First post-op appointment was yesterday...

Doc says things are progressing well. His staff was cheering me on as I did my granny walk to the room. BTW the staff there are the most caring and sincere individuals. Dr Sherick's assistant Jenny is a star in her own right, really made a difference before and the day of my surgery. Anyway, I saw my incision for the first time -- was so pleasantly surprised! It was not nearly as gruesome as I had anticipated. Doc did an amazing job. Said he'd like to see my BB healing a bit faster but nothing to worry about. My BB BTW is gruesome looking. I try not to study it much and have kept a band aid on it all times (except when showering). Switched from Bacitracin to Neosporen today, so perhaps that will speed up healing. I've been totally overdoing it the past few days and my insanely swollen belly is to show for it. I've been feeling really good so I've been changing diapers, making meals, dragging crap out of the garage for my kids, and by 7-8pm I am completely wiped out and in pain. Yesterday I really overdid it, played hide and seek with my twins, did some light cleaning, went to lunch with a friend, then my dad came and took me to my appt., then got home I danced a little (standing in place) with my twins to our favorite Wiggles jam and then at 7:30 I was in so much pain, I thought I had severely done some internal damage. So while I have been recovering much better than expected I really need to cool out, even though I feel pretty great. My biggest issue by far is back pain. All the hunching over is wreaking havoc. Plus the only time I seem to be sitting or laying down is after my kids go to bed. Despite all the amazing help I have at home, I just feel so guilty not chipping in around the house/kids. Plus I absolutely hate wearing the binder, but doc says at least one more week on non-stop wear. No point in even posting a photo because I am so swollen, it wouldn't impress anyone. Quick question, did others notice swelling in their thighs? LOL I can't figure out if mine are swollen or if they've always been that big but I didn't notice now that my tummy is flat. They seem enormous to me!

Just about six weeks post...

My BB is healing slowly but I am so happy to see a flat tummy in the mirror and to once again have an innie!
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Was this review helpful? 2 others found this helpful

Comments (66)

Sort by

You are looking great. It starts getting even better the next few weeks. Swelling starts going down and that tummy gets flatter. :)
  • Reply
Hey girl! Please give me an update! I'm freaking out with anxiety as July 18th approaches.....ugggggg! How are you???
  • Reply
I'm getting so excited for you!!! Sorry I've been on vacation! I have to post a pic soon but I'm still battling the swell and my BB has a little rash around it from the bandaid adhesive so I haven't been feeling very pretty although I'm loving my results! Are you ready!? I go back on the 18th for a massage, so I'll be in the building thinking about you!!
  • Reply
Yes - please, please, please add a picture!!!! I'm ready and I'm not ready, if you know what I mean. I was getting completely overwhelmed by all the lists of what I need for recovery. Dr. Sherick and Jenny said not to get any of it, so I settled with just getting a wedge pillow. My nerves are for sure setting in. I think I'll get my scripts filled this weekend and try a valium one evening soon to see if it helps. I prefer xanax, however, Jenny said the valium also helps with muscle relaxation and to try it to see if I like it. If not, she'll give me a script for xanax. It's so comforting to hear you love your results! I think it's pretty amazing all the scheduled follow ups and massage appointments that CPRS includes in our price! What benefit do you find the massages bring? Oh, my husband is taking two weeks off, then I have a babysitter for the 3rd week of recovery to help me with lifting my girls while my husband is at work. Do you think I'll need help the fourth week also? What about the first few days home from the hospital....were your twins able to get in bed with you? I'm already getting a lump in my throat thinking about not being able to pick them up and nurture them as I always do and know it's going to be so difficult giving up control of everything that goes on with them during the day/night.
  • Reply
Yay! Just a three more days!!! I'm SO excited for you! I totally agree; Jenny told me the same thing, don't buy anything extra/special - and I didn't. I didn't end up need anything. Just take the sterile pads they give in the hospital room home with you for under your binder, helps more for the belly button. Then when you go to your first follow-up, ask for some steri strips (they will send you home with some, but ask for a few extras for in between appointments. I'm still actually wearing my binder as I write this. I got a pricey compression garment on Amazon, but I don't feel like it gives me the best support just yet. I don't usually wear it during the day but strap it on as soon as I get home from work. I've only had one "official" after-surgery massage so far. My second one is Friday, then my last next week. I should have had the second one already but we went on vacation, so that is why my second one isn't until Friday afternoon. I don't know how the massages speed healing but OMG it's amazing. My back felt better almost instantly. Sue and Dena are fabulous, but my first full hour was with Sur and she massage the incision a bit. Felt oddly good. I finally am just now picking up my twins, and I really feel it at the end of the day if I've overdone it, so pace yourself! Nothing over 5lbs the first 2 weeks, 10 the second two weeks. It was really hard not picking them up and holding them, but we just kept telling them "mommy has a boo -boo" and they caught on pretty fast. Just take the first two weeks to nurture yourself and let others do the rest. It's hard but they'll get over it! LOL. Of course I bought a lot of little busy toys for the kids at Five Below and Traget, so when I was feeling guilty, I'd bring a little "surprise" out. Honestly don't stress about it, it's better for you to heal and rest so you can feel better faster. I'm still having some back issues and get sore (mostly at the end of the day) but otherwise feel pretty good. I don't see Dr Sherick for a while, but I do want to try and find out when I can expect the mid-end day swelling to subside. I've seen other posts on here that said it can last several months, ugh! My stomach looks a million times better but balloons up at night. Sleeping still isn't that comfortable, so great thing you got a pillow. Yeah, take the Valium tonight after the kids go down and see if it doesn't help relax you. I'm sure it will! Trust me that on Friday, the second you arrive on floor 5 you are going to be taken care of. Oh- did you find out who your anesthesiologist is? I assume you got the call today. I hope it's Luanne! She's awesome and also a mom of twins!
  • Reply
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your note and sharing your experience in detail. I'm so anxious that I took a valium 2 hours ago and it still hasn't kicked in,,,,,,uggggg. I feel like crying about missing my girls and not seeing them for over 24 hours after I put them to bed tonight. It's almost like they know something is going on and have been calling out to me all day while I had a babysitter here so that I could take care of some things. It's good to hear you're picking up your twins and I think it's only been 5 weeks for you? Did they get into bed with you as soon as you got home from the hospital or anything like that? Let me know what you find out about the swelling expectations. Luanne called me today. She seemed nice, just sounded like she was in a hurry. This is going to sound silly, but I hate the thought of no moisturizer! It makes me feel dry just thinking about it. Jenny had told me it was okay to do my face care routine the morning of surgery and just to wash the surgery zones with dial antibacterial. However, Luanne said to wash my entire body with the soap tonight and tomorrow morning and not to follow it with any sort of moisturizer. Oh, did your husband visit you in the hospital the night of your surgery? My husband will be there with me all morning and then was planning to come home to the girls after I get out of recovery. I was thinking it would be nice for him to come back to see me after he puts the girls to bed around 7pm
  • Reply
Ah I'm getting SO excited!! I can feel your anxiousness -- and trust me I was so there the night before my surgery, but you are going to be so happy you did it! And you are in the BEST hands! Honestly as impossible as it is, stop worrying about the girls and think of it as a mini break! This is your mommy make-over! Your body went through so much during pregnancy and raising twins- is not easy. So just keep reminding yourself how much you DESERVE this! It's just one day and you are going to be on heavy meds, so you will be feeling pretty groovy for 24 hours. My husband was with me from the morning until about 2 or 3pm then my Dad came and hung out with me . I actually had to beg him leave. I wanted to have the room to myself, read magazines, talk on the phone, watch TV, just chill. And be so glad you are staying in the hospital for one night. The nurses wait on you hand and foot and continually keep you on top of your meds, check your vitals, etc. I loved it, LOL. Plus it was so comforting knowing I was in a safe place. I can not even imagine going home the same day. Before my girls went to bed we did FaceTime and it was so reassuring seeing their faces. I thought it would bum me out, but it actually made me feel better. They were on their routine just like any other night. Trust me, enjoy the first day away from home and relax. Coming home , I was on the couch for the first four days. I didn't allow them to come on the couch with me but instead I would just lean over or crouch down and kiss their faces, do light hugs. You will be in protection mode, so you will not want them in bed with you unless they are pretty still. Your girls are a little younger, but mine are 2 and can sometimes be bulls in a China shop, so we would just keep reminding them of "mommy's boo boo." Yeah I skipped lotion altogether. Washed with Dial the morning of and put just a little moisturizer on my face. I hope the same goes for you, but I was unusually calm the morning of. I have no idea why. My girls were still sleeping which made it a little easier leaving the house too. Ok so just a few more hours! I wish you the absolute best and please keep reminding yourself how much your earned and deserve this , and how fabulous you are going to look! I'll be in the building for my massage around noon and will be sending happy thoughts and healing energy your way! Keep me posted, but only when you're up to it. :)
  • Reply
Things went well, I'm very tired and had an horrible bout of nausea at the hospital - thank God that's over. I just had my first shower and my scars are stinging a bit - probably because I used that anti bacterial soap. Maybe tomorrow, I'll just use my regular body shampoo. In order to keep the nausea at baby I take one percocet every 3 hours and that seems to be helping. I took the valium at night and will probably continue to do that to help me sleep. I can't seem to get my binder very snug while trying to hold up those medical pads underneath. Maybe I should try it laying down? I do look a little swollen and wonder if I'm wearing the CG too loose. The girls don't understand why I won't pick them up and that hurts, however, I'm hoping they get used to it....you're latest pic looks AWESOME!!!!
  • Reply
Ah! I'm so excited to hear from you!!! I'm sure you are sore and exaughsted, but the hard part is over! Just give yourself a break and try not to put too much pressure on yourself on being a perfect mom right now. You need to heal so let hubby take over this week. I know it's hard but it will get better little by little each day. I'm so sorry to hear you were nauseous! Ugh! Yeah, the tighter the better on the binder in my opinion. I had my husband actually wrap me in it to make it tight. Could never do it myself. In fact he still helps me with it from time to time. What is the most sore for you, the TT or the BL? Just stay ontop of your meds and drink plenty of water. LOL and be sure to take your Colace or Miralax to help keep things moving. So glad to hear from you . Hang in there and keep the updates coming!!
  • Reply
The TT is definitely the most sore. I didn't do a BL, just BA and they just feel like engorged breasts during nursing the twins. He did a great job and I can't wait to see everything come together. I wish the sterile pads under the CG had some type of adhesive on them so that I could get them in place before tightening the binder. I overdid it a bit today and felt some pulsating pain from where he did the MR. That got my attention and now I'm taking it easy. The scars have been sensitive ever since using the antibacterial soap. I'll try something different tonight to see if it helps....I cannot bear to look at my BB, however, I know it will get better. I stayed on top of my magnesium glycinate and senna and had a BM yesterday and another today - yay!!!! I was so nervous about getting too constipated. I always look forward to hearing from you and your updates as well : )
  • Reply
You sound like you are doing fantastic!! LOL I am so glad things have been "moving" because that was really annoying. I was the same way about my BB in fact I still feel that way. I can't figure out how it's going to look once it's all healed. Other than the bacitracin I haven't really done much to it and I only use the ointment every other day now. Aren't you so glad you didn't have to have the drains!? Ugh on top of everything else, I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with them. Keep giving yourself some much deserved TLC and take it easy!
  • Reply
OMG - I don't know how people deal with the drains on top of everything else. Yes, very grateful there were no drains! I'm getting better at just walking away and going upstairs to my little recovery hideaway whenever my husband is not following all the details I laid out for him. I'm a stay at home mom currently and he travels a lot. So, before surgery, I told him that I'd share a bunch of stuff with him to help him and the girls while I'm not able to. He even took notes. I guess he'll have to learn the hard way. I go in on Friday for my first follow up appointment with Dr Sherick
  • Reply
Chking back on u!! Hows the healing comin? Just keep in mind everyday will get better!
  • Reply
Tummy looks awesome!
  • Reply
Tummy looks great!! I'm a michigander too!! But take it easy !! Rest! (easier said than done..lol)
  • Reply
yep, sorry to say my thighs were swollen for weeks (and my va-jayjay eek!) but pleased to report they are all back to normal now :) glad to hear you are doing well, take it easy xx
  • Reply
youre looking wonderful already! your results are going to be absolutely amazing! i like the title of your blog also ;)
  • Reply
Oh and belly button I used neosporen for the first 3 weeks. Then switched to vasaline and I'm still using that.
  • Reply
You look great already. The swelling went down for me at week 3. Time moves incredibly slow I know. I'm glad everything went well. I ended up taking 2 stool softeners in the morning and the evening in order to try and speed things up. That ended up working. Just an fyi. I agree that the first week is the worst. You're almost at the end :)
  • Reply
Holy smokes, three weeks for the swelling to subside! LOL I feel like a balloon. Haven't even attempted to put any of my new bikinis on because I'm so incredibly bloated. I've been putting bacitracin on my BB and today switched over to Neosporan so thanks! Felt like the bacitracin wasn't getting the job done. How are you feeling? Is life starting to get back to normal?
  • Reply
I'm doing well thank you. :) I am well back to normal although I still do have some pain here and there. Usually when I push it too much. The healing process is a slow one. Try to take it a little easy, remember your body is trying to heal the insides and the last thing you want to do is prolong the healing. Plus the slower you take it now the harder you can go in a couple weeks. :) My thighs and vajay jay did swell too. Not cute I know. Lol. You look great. I'm so happy for you!!! Did you end up using the walker?
  • Reply
You look amazing! Congratulations on your fab results already!! The first week is definetly the toughest and you are over half way there, so hang in there hon. Sounds like your mum and hubby are doing a great job looking after the twins, so just try to focus on resting, I know it's hard, but the more your rest, the quicker you will heal! Good luck with the rest of your recovery x x
  • Reply
You are so kind, thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • Reply
Wow! Thanks so much for posting your update! Your tummy sure is FLAT! Did you get a walker? I'm just thinking that may help you in standing up as it would put your weight on your arms? I'm pretty sure that the pain is from the anesthesia completely wearing off. I wish Sherick did the exparel that everyone raves about. I'm sure your BB will come around. I wonder if aquafor would be a good ointment for healing. I know how difficult this is, but please let your husband take the brunt of the twins right now and let go of feeling bad - you need that emotional energy to heal. You're a great mom and I know you've done your fair share of caring for them. Dr. Sherick's nurse recommended staying in a bedroom where the kids can't get to you for a few days. But, really? I don't know how I'm emotionally going to handle not being able to just scoop up my twins when they're crying for me after surgery. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you xo
  • Reply
So good to hear from you, I hope I didn't scare you with all my complaining! LOL. What is experal? You must have done your homework :) I'm feeling a bit better today than yesterday. I still haven't had a a BM so that is my latest drama. I've been on top of it, been taking Miralax throughout the day in my water as well as two stool softener pills twice a day since Saturday and nothing so far. I even tried prune juice last night but could not stand the taste. I've been getting the hiccups non stop for days and it is not fun. Can't figure out why. Was super nauseas for the first time yesterday and was terrified I was going to puke, but some saltines and gingerale did the trick. I also cut down my pain med dosage from 2 pills every four hours to one pill every four begining last night, but only because I thought it would help with the constipation and naseau. I was given the ok to take a shower yesterday but chickened out because I was so ill. I'm ready today so as soon as my husband can help me I'm going to wobble in. I'll try and post a pic later :)
  • Reply