Let's Start With Arms - Anaheim, CA

I found this forum so helpful I thought I'd share...

I found this forum so helpful I thought I'd share my experience. I'm 49 and no matter what I do, weights, cardio, Pilates I can or get rid of the fat on my arms and thighs. I remember hating my fat knees in grammar school. My awesome Dr Jack Gutman offered me the procedure at half price. That was 7 weeks ago!

Although most people do this while awake I asked to be "knocked out". The procedure was a piece of cake! The first couple of days I think it was more painful pulling the tape off that held the maxi pads in place for the draining. The Dr. gave me a script for Vicodin but he said I'd probably only use one or two.

My advice is to lay low the first couple of days. I went to the movies two days later and I was so worried that some one would bump into me I couldn't really relax. Lifting was no problem but reaching is another story! For the first week I had to wake my husband up at 6:00 am to fasten my compression garment and blow drying my hair was not an option. Washing my hair was tough too. But after the first week I was able to manage. The compression garments are a life saver and I highly suggest you buy a couple extra from merena.com. You can put them in the washer and the dryer. I was told to wear them 24/7 for the first 4 weeks but I'm still wearing mine with the exception of during the day time on the weekends.

I didn't have a ton of bruising but the swelling is still an issue today. My Dr said that this could go on for another month or so. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the Arnica until a couple weeks later. I only had drainage for two days which I hear is normal and you cant even see where the little cuts were. I really didn't believe that the healing would take more than a month, but it does. The worst part is probably just that, there is a recovery period of a couple months. You might experience some sharp needle like pricking sensations from time to time, for me they weren't bad just annoying and times where it just feels like you have a really bad sunburn. The sunburn feeling is what I'm experiencing now and stretching or far reaching is still not possible. But, so far the results are amazing and I would do it again. In fact, I have made an appt. for Oct 5 to get my inner and outer thighs, knees and hips done!

My Dr also said that the arms are the slowest to heal and often the hardest to deal with on terms of discomfort. That's what I find so incredible, I never really experienced pain only some discomfort. I will post pictures, and keep you posted every couple of weeks.

Here's what I wish I had known:
1. Just plan on taking it easy a few days after
2. Compression garments are your friends
3. Doing this in the winter would be a little more weather friendly
4. Drive a car with automatic trans. The jiggeling of the arms when driving a stick is the only actual pain I felt.

Dr. Jack Gutman

Dr. Gutman has been my primary care physician for 15 years. He's had the same staff since I've been going there. I have complete trust in him and would highly reccommend him. He has been doing this for at least 5 or 6 years maybe longer. I know that he also teaches other Dr.'s on how to use the different machines.