Septoplasty/ Turbinate Reduction - Allentown, PA

I would like to say that overall, if you do not...

I would like to say that overall, if you do not have complications, this surgery is not as bad as people are saying. If you read what people say online, you will be prepared for the worst, but know it is not that terrible. I had this surgery done because I've had sinus problems and chronic headaches,which only occur on the left side since, I was born. I had the surgery one week and one day ago and am doing well. You go in for surgery, wake up with a dry throat from the breathing tube and instantly become a mouth breather since your nose is packed. I had the packing removed after the first 24 hours which was the worst part. I was just uncomfortable, couldn't sleep and had sinus pressure with it in. It was very painful to get the packing removed, that is for sure, but I had so much pressure that I was desperate for them to take it out. Plus they have it out in 20 seconds. I instantly was relived from the pressure and felt a lot better. I continued to have drainage after now, which is normal, but slowed down after day three. Since then, I've just had mild drainage and have been tired overall from the surgery and anesthesia. I went yesterday and had the splints removed. That was easy. They were bigger than I thought thought, but also allowed so much relief, even though you don't even notice they were in there. Upon those being removed, I felt like I could breathe like never before! My left nostril was always blocked and effected by the crooked septum very badly, but now that is clear! The dr said there is a good chance my headaches will also go away since I had a contact point and the headaches were always only on my problem side. He said if I can go the next couple of weeks headache free, then it helped the headaches too! Right now I just have to keep rinsing my nose to keep it clean, which you'll be directed to do with saline or a rinse the dr will provide. At this point I just am mildly sore, no pain meds needed though since day 4, and still a little tired.

If this also helps my headaches, I would do it again if I needed to. After the packing is out after the first 24 hours, the worst is over! My advice is to make sure you can have a week off from work to rest and care for yourself, use ice packs the first day for the pressure, a humidifier at night keeps everything more moist and not so dry, listen to the dr and keep everything clean, and take it easy! Again, after the packing is out, the worst is surely over.
Don't get discouraged if you need this done! I'm a worry wart and always so afraid. If I can do it, you can!

amber, I had this Deviated Septum which is mild and a over muscle on other side,... My Doctor advised me to go for surgery after medication as it ll be the permanent problem,... but I am a worried wart just like you said and was having fear to go fr it... He said Sinusitis in first stage... How ll it be after operation and will they give anesthesia during operation and do we feel the pain during operation?
Thank you for sharing. I am also a worry wart and have been trying to put off this surgery. But every day for the past 4 years it feels like I have been punched in the nose. I am constantly putting vasaline and saline sprays in my nose just to get it to be confortable. I have just started having more troubles with breathing, just don't seem to be getting enough oxygen. But I am. I have just heard so many mixed reviews. I just don't know what to do.
You're welcome! I would encourage you to have the surgery if you are having that many issues. It is a scary thing to think about, but if it will fix your problems, I would say it is well worth it for the short time period of pain you'll go through, versus suffering for the rest of your life. Like I had mentioned to others, after the first 24 hours are over and the packing comes out, you're golden! It is much easier from there on out and just a matter of recovering and keeping your nose clean from the drainage. When the splints come out a week later, which you don't feel that they are in, and are not painful to remove, then it really is like a breath of fresh air. I haven't lied when I said it was rough until that packing is out. I couldn't sleep and the pressure was awful, but again, only one day and it is over. Good luck if you decide to go for it!
Dr. Paul Lemberg

9/10. He is very smart and successfully completed my surgery. He also was able to answer all of my questions at the follow up and did not keep me waiting. He has a dry sense of humor, not very friendly. But as long as he did everything right and this helps me I cannot complain.