Invisalign-the whole 9 yards! - Albury, AU

Thursday 3rd of April was the day I had my...

Thursday 3rd of April was the day I had my attachments put on and got my first set of aligners I was so excited/anxious. My hygienist was lovely and talked me through everything as she polished my teeth in preparation for my attachments (which are tooth coloured). A dental assistant then ran me through how to put my aligners in and out, how to clean my teeth and aligners, rules about eating and drinking etc. and made my follow up appointment for 6 weeks.
I was pretty devastated walking out that first day as I had heaps of attachments and I was expecting that I’d only have like one or two. It was really noticeable, the aligners were sharp and cut my tongue and I had a very noticeable lisp. I could feel pressure with them in, took some Panadol, had six beers and went to bed.
The next day my tongue was killing me and the pressure in my mouth was still present as well as my lisp. Being a nurse and talking to people all day made my job very uncomfortable. Thank god it was Friday! I used some wax around the sharp parts of the aligners to give me some relief on my tongue, worked a treat.
Over the next few days the pressure subsided, eating became easier, my tongue toughened up but come Tuesday the lisp is still present. Hoping it will go away soon so I can talk more confidently at work. People who know I have them on don’t notice the aligners (or so they say) and people I haven’t told haven’t mentioned a thing so far. Not that I care, just not enjoying the lisp. Things I miss so far include smoking, red wine, white wine, COFFEE. One positive thing is that it stops you from snacking.
Looking forward to going back for my 6 week review and having the attachments removed (hopefully less put back on) and commencing AcelleDent!!!

Second Tray!!! YEAH BUDDY..

In case anyone wants me to break down my day with routine for them here goes nothing.
730am- Tray out for 15-20 mins while I shower and brush my teeth, I let them soak in Luke warm water and Listerine, give them a brush with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste before I floss and put them back in.
830am- Tray out for 15-20 mins to enjoy morning coffee, Berocca and apple. Quick brush of the teeth and tray, mouth rinse then pop those bad boys back in.
1pm- Tray out for 25 mins for lunch. Brush and floss, brush tray and rinse mouth, then put them back in.
7pm- Tray out for dinner 20 mins, brush and floss teeth, bush tray and put them back in.
9pm- Tray out for 5 mins prior to shower for a final brush of teeth and tray before heading to bed.
Pretty griping stuff I know haha! Must confess, if I want a beer I will have one but rinse with water in between really well. I’ve also had a smoke with them in but raced home to brush and soak ASAP. Even had a black Sambuca shot! My trays aren’t stained at all. I’ve been told to soak in vinegar and water 2:2 if concerned about any discolouration.

Have changed to tray 2 today, YAY! No issues getting them in, they are tight, with a little pressure not discomfort. Guess they are doing their job. I have posted some pics today of my second tray. Some good news is my lisp has gone away now that I have adjusted to having extra gear in my mouth and I’ve lost 1.8kgs #WINNING!

Was this really for me??

This whole process is really starting to annoy me when it comes to my social life. I enjoy a drink and a smoke more than the average person i guess and its starting to show really bad on my trays. They are so freaking yellow after smoking and drinking all weekend despite brushing, flossing and soaking them. I tried taking them out for smokes and cut my mouth doing it so often and it cant be good to keep going in and out.
And the taste is bloody terrible. Either i am going to have to become a hermit or rethink this whole process..It seems i can handle the wear time and the cleaning process but its no good if my social habits are staining my trays and potentially doing damage to the enamel of my teeth.... FML!!!!

Clincheck

Tray 3 of 23

So pretty chuffed i'm on tray 3. I'm used to this whole process now and actually enjoy it in a weird way lol. My teeth have def's moved slightly as people close to me have noticed small changes and i can feel slight movement on my top teeth... Progress!! I have my first follow up with my ortho this Saturday where i will get new trays and accelledent (WHOOP WHOOP)... Will update there after.

6 weeks in and onto tray 4

Cant believe how the time has flown. I had my six week check up last Saturday and was pretty disappointed because they didnt give me my acceledent as apparently they havent arrived yet. Not happy!!!! Also i was rushed in and out, thrown three new sets of trays and given another appt for 6 weeks. I'm posting a photo today, i dont see any changes yet :( but im sure they will come :)

AcceleDent a god send!

So i got my AcceleDent last Thursday and began using it that evening. Super easy to use, i'm a big talker so it sucks i cant talk for 20 mins but im sure it please some haha. I change from tray 5 to 6 on Thursday and will be changing weekly starting then.
On another note i've found the best home made stuff to clean retainers especially after big nights out, bicarb and vinegar is the bomb!
I may have been a wee slack on wear time and flossing this weekend but i put that down to big nights out and eating very little (only consuming liquids).
I've posted some photos of the awesome lil gadget for those interested :)

2 months post comparison

2 month post comparison pic.

passed out with only bottom tray in!!!!!

OMG, FML....I passed out last night after a few brews with only my bottom tray in... so i had my top tray out for like 7 hours!!!!!!! To make the situation worse it was the night to change trays so now my mouth is throbbing like a son of a bitch! Also I've done this another night with both trays out for like 4 hours. Hope this wont stuff up my treatment time. Any suggestions people other than cutting back on the beers lol.

Tray 10 Pic

13 more trays of my first set to go yay! Its going so quick. I've noticed heaps of change. Quit smoking and drinking too so i feel extra awesome as my trays are squeaky clean!!! Cant wait to see results in another 3 months.

Tray 14 of 23...9 to go!!

Hi everyone,
Been a while since i updated my review. Ive noticed heaps of changes and i am very happy with my progress. Cant believe i have 9 weeks left. I had my ortho review on Saturday, he was happy with how everything was going. His assistant explained that in 9 weeks they will remove my buttons, re-scan my mouth, ? if i need a refinement set. Then i get them whitened and all pretty!. So very happy so far so ive attached a lil pic of me this morning with tray 14 in :)

Tray 17/23, only 5 weeks left!!

Treatment is flying by! Very happy with my progress, only 5 weeks to go. Not sure about the quality of my photos but i know there has been heaps of change. Tray 17 is tight in places i have not had discomfort before so this is good. Cant wait for the end result.

3 weeks left!

I can taste the finish line. So happy! hope i dont need refinement but if i do i will cross that bridge when i come to it.
Evolve Orthodontics

Orthodontist could of said hello and introduced himself before he starting invaiding my mouth. All other staff have been lovely.

Wow!  Two more aligners after this one?  No refinements, then?  Or are you certain yet?
I have 3 more left now, ? refinements after my scan.
How can I keep forgetting about the AcceleDent? LOL!  I look back at your first pics, and your teeth weren't that bad at all.  But looking at how they are now, it's still such a massive, beautiful difference.  Congrats!
three more after this one as i have 23 trays! will find out on the 20th what the go is with refinements after my scan.

Cool!  Only ten more days!
Whaaaat!  Look at that front tooth!  It's almost fixed already!  Fabulous :D
YAY i know :)
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!  I wish you all the best on the self-improvement journey you've undertaken!
The stuff you get yourself into!  I have no real wisdom for you.  You might consider delaying moving on to the next tray for a day of very long wear.  I have no idea whether this will have an effect on your roots long-term, but I'm guessing if it's the last day, it's more a pain thing than efficacy thing.  Your orthodontist is definitely the person to ask, but I could see not wanting to ;).  One could also try asking the doctors here on RealSelf in the Q&A.  Is the new aligner tracking after a few hours?  I stayed out of my aligners for much longer than you at one point (about 10 hours, without the excuse of being unconscious) and I don't think it did permanent damage :).  No way to know for sure.
Lol i feel like a dickhead. But what i did was, i increased my wear time over the last four days to "catch up" also increased my time using chewies. My compliance is in question i know but i'm still seeing progress, so thats the main thing :)
It's difficult to say for certain, since the one piccie has aligners in and the other doesn't, but it looks like there's been some movement in that central incisor.  Has that been your impression?
i agree, i'm bummed i didnt take one of my teeth without the aligners at the start. But i have noticed some movement. I'm very happy thus far :)
I wish I had gotten more angles of my teeth from the beginning. I got one straight on but nothing else. I'm seeing some movement as well which is exciting! Little jealous of the accledent. I think you're going to be soooo happy you have that!
Fingers crossed we will both end up with gorgeous smiles :)
whats you bi carb and vinegar ratio?
I just wing it aye, put ya bicarb in first as the vinegar will make it fizz up. I prob use about 1 heaped table spoon of bicarb and about a cup of vinegar. I scrub them after about 5-10 mins with some of the undissolved bicarb in the base of the bowl.
Since I'm only on day 4 of tray 1 without a night of drinking (with them in), I haven't experienced any grossness. I do smoke (on average) 1-2 cigarettes a day (at nighttime) and I smoke the last half of the last (or only) cigarette with the trays in (after the nighttime brush/floss/rinse routine). Then I rinse with water. I would like to ask though, when you rinse with water, do you know if it's best to just swish the water around the outside of the trays or push it through the trays themselves? I do the latter. I guess I'm wondering which is better to leave your teeth sit in: water or saliva.
Oh! And I will def try the bicarb/vinegar mix. I love easy, cheap and effective!
Just take them out completely if you are at home, not much on an inconvenience really but if you are out just swish with water... Don't have to worry about this anymore.. finished on Friday :)
Lucky you!! Ive been taking them out completely now when smoking for ages. Looking forward to seeing your results :)
I swish with them in and i use mouth wash and swish with them in too and has not effected anything :).
Thanks for the AcceleDent pictures! :)
No Worries :)
I could not agree more on your comments about your social life. That has probably been the biggest adjustment for me as well! I didn't think I went out that much but, of course, the moment I get these, I turn into a social butterfly! Hard when you just want a drink whenever you want without having to pop these in and out and brush, and floss and brush the liners . . . . it's a little tedious for sure! I don't smoke so I can't even imagine how much that exacerbates the problem! I hope that has gotten better for you. I think you're teeth are looking great!