Almost 40yo & Finally Got the Courage to Fix my Teeth! - Albury, AU

I am 39 & tired of hiding my bad teeth. I've...

I am 39 & tired of hiding my bad teeth. I've always had a phobia about the dentist but decided it was time it get them fixed so I don't pass on my fears to my daughter. My teeth are quite crowded top and bottom.
After deciding to proceed with Invisalign I had to have several procedures done including wisdom tooth removal, 2 tooth extractions to allow the crowded teeth to be able to move and a filling.
In July I finally got my Invisalign fitted. I am on the 3rd set of my aligners, almost ready for the 4th. I will also be using Acceledent to speed up the process meaning from the 4th set I will be changing the trays weekly instead of fortnightly.
I have 34 sets of aligners but have been told I will need more after that.

I've been reading about people trying to keep their invisalign clean. After having tried vinegar and water, then toothpaste I found that the trays were discoloured and still didn't smell too good. I have bought an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner from eBay for $40 AUD. I put my trays in there in the morning & night and every second day I put a Polident tablet in with them. Occasionally I need to brush the outside with a toothbrush but they are much cleaner now and don't smell at all.

I can't wait to start changing the trays weekly and finally start seeing some results!

Congratulations for finally getting up the courage to do this for yourself!  Do you have very severe crowding?  Because I could totally see how one could end up with a fear of dentists then.  It's so difficult to maintain healthy teeth with crowding.  We have another dental phobic who chose Invisalign and had such a difficult time even getting started.  But she made it, and is now 8 months along in treatment, I think.  Her name is chandlera07 (the link goes to her review).

That's a great idea about the jewelry cleaner!  I had no idea they were so affordable.

I hope you'll show us pictures!  It's a great way to maintain your own motivation, when it's difficult to see results with the naked eye.  Also, it'll give me an idea of whom to introduce you to ;).  For now, here are some more Aussies! (The links go to their reviews :) and the starred people have AcceleDent as well--there may be more of them that do but I can't recall off the top of my head).

SophieD, Astrodog21, littleoz, Crooky24*, Sunluvva*, smilemelb, shannon1990, Dante555, Malnic, Megastar, Bec1234, jessjaensch, and Jessea.

Pics

Tomorrow I finally get set 4 and hopefully my Acceledent. Here are some photos of my teeth at the start and with the attachments. Also a photo of the jewellery cleaner I use daily.

Thank you for the pictures!  Have you managed to find others on here yet?  Or would you like me to give you some reviews of others with moderate-to-severe crowding?
I'm really enjoying reading so many different reviews from people! It's great to see I'm not alone with some of my experiences such as clenching the jaw. I wake up with such a tired jaw every morning from this, I'm glad it seems to be quite a common issue!
Thanks, yes they are pretty crowded. I have put a couple of photos on so I can track my progress.

4th set

Today I finally got my 4th through to 6th set of aligners. I was supposed to pick up my Acceledent also but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet :(. Hopefully that will turn up on Monday so I can start finally changing the aligners weekly.
I must say that this set is better than the previous one for my speech. I found it really difficult to talk without a noticeable lisp with the last ones. Much better this time! Not sure why it would be different?
I can feel the tightness of these new trays but it's not too painful thankfully. Just a little tender when I remove them or put them back on. Like the previous set (but not the first 2) these ones seem to have a little indent at the top on the front 2 teeth. Any reason this would need to be there or is it just a fault in the tray?

They showed me my 11th set while I was there today and I must say that it was a boost to the confidence in the process. I haven't really noticed any difference yet but I could see heaps and that tray is only about 7 weeks away. Made me feel much better!

The indents are called power ridges, and they just help grip the teeth a bit tighter to get more movement in :D.  Some doctors use them and some don't.  Invisalign Teen used to have them standard but I don't know if they still do.

That's great, that you're having less trouble speaking!  It may just be that you've gotten used to them, or that your teeth plus the new trays are in a slightly different position.  Hard to know!  I hope you get your AcceleDent soon, though.  It's a lot of money to pay and not get to use it!!!
Thanks for that info! Hadn't read anyone else's review that talked about the indents so wasn't sure if they were meant to be there!!
I know mskitycity just got some put on hers near the end of her treatment to get stuff going--she calls them dimples :).  And Invisa312014 just finally got some aligners without them on.  But most people don't seem to mention them.  I didn't even notice them when I had them! :D

AcceleDent

Hooray! Finally picked up my AcceleDent today, was given another 3 sets of aligners and the ok to change them weekly from this Friday. Very excited to get started tonight.
A run through on the use of AcceleDent explained that it needs to be used for 20 minutes every day. It is supposed to make the transition to the next tray much easier and less painful.

I also got to see my ClinCheck for the first time. Great to see it and see what the results will be like at the end of the 34 aligners, although I have been told I will definitely need more. Apparently it will be 90% correct by then.

Will post updated pic when the 5th set go in!

Congratulations!  Did they give you a copy of your ClinCheck, by any chance? :)
Yes, they put it on a USB for me.
Ooh!  Can you upload here for us?  I don't know if it's a format we accept but when you do your next update there's an "Add Video" button I think, and you "choose existing" and find that and that would be so cool!

Tray 5

ClinCheck video
Tonight is my first weekly aligner change. I have been using the AcceleDent for the past 3 days now.
The 5th set are tight but I don't feel any pain with them as yet and they were relatively easy to put on. I think once I have been using the AcceleDent for the full week it will be even better. Still haven't noticed any changes yet!

I have attached some photos of the AcceleDent and my ClinCheck video (hopefully!)

Hi i am also from Albury, wondering where you are having your treatment? as i also use acceledent and they have no asked me to bring mine in to plug into the computer to track my usage? And i have the same model as yourself. :)
Hi! I go to Evolve. The Q&A sheet they gave me when I picked up the Acceledent says they would like us to bring in the hand piece with every appointment so they can track the usage. I'm guessing that's not happening when you go in?! I've only had it a week so my next appointment isn't for another 5 weeks so I'll have to see what they do!
Oh cool me too. yeah i was not asked to bring it in but i guess its a good idea, coz i have missed a few days lol. Good luck with everything :)

Tray 6 - only 28 more to go! ????

Last night I changed to tray 6 and I'm happy to say I'm finally seeing some slight results. My front tooth that stuck out the most has definitely started shifting down and across.
I've been using AcceleDent for over a week now and it did make a big difference in the pain levels changing aligners. I put tray 6 in and it was extremely tight. Certainly would've been painful if I didn't use AcceleDent. I used the Acceledent immediately after changing the tray and I would say it cut the discomfort levels down by 80% immediately. A couple of my teeth were slightly tender in the morning but that appears to have completely gone by this afternoon. Glad that extra $1000 dollars the AcceleDent cost to my treatment is paying off!

Speaking of costs, here's the breakdown of what my treatment is costing me. The overall treatment is $9500, $1000 of that is the AcceleDent. My health insurance covers $1500. I received $1200 back from the health fund once treatment started and will get the remaining $300 when it's completed. I had to pay approx $2000 upfront to the orthodontist and am paying back $50 per week on a no interest plan for 3 years with DentiCare.

Thanks for the cost-breakdown!  Very interesting.  The prices are so high there in AU--about on a par with costs out here in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Although you got your AcceleDent pretty cheaply, even though it was new!  I don't think most doctors sell it for $890 here.  Unless you're using US dollars--I didn't even think of that!
All in Aus dollars. Where I live it's about 3.5 hours drive from the nearest capital city (Melbourne) and there's not many places around my area that offer Invisalign. Unfortunately it's too far to travel to get a better deal!
Still, your price is comparable to others in all of AU.  You're not getting gouged or anything!

Tray 10 - Ortho visit

Today I had my 6 week orthodontist visit since tray 4. I changed to tray 10 and received another 4 trays. At tray 15 I need to go back for IPR. So far so good, they are happy with how my teeth are moving and there have been no issues since my tray 6 update.

I am loving the AcceleDent and would recommend it to anyone considering it. Not only is it great to change the aligners weekly, the reduction in pain when changing the aligners is well worth it. If I was only changing fortnightly I think I'd go mad with the entire process, adding so much more time on to the how long I'd have to wear them. I don't think I'll ever get used to wearing invisalign. Some people say they barely know they've got them on but I'm aware I'm wearing it every waking moment! I've still got a slight lisp, sometime it gets worse with particular trays.

I'm happy to say that I'm seeing the changes now and although there is a long way to go it's starting to be worth it! My bottom teeth do not fan out as much and the top teeth that really stuck out are definitely on the move.

I did it the slow way and never knew any other way :).  But my treatment was relatively short.  About a year including refinements.  Like you, though, I never did get used to having them in my mouth.  I never got rid of the lisp (though I did get used to it) and always felt (still feel, in my retainers,) like my teeth were suffocating.  I got sore in my jaw from all the clenching and still do.  I really hate them.  But I continue to bear it because the Vivera (Invisalign) retainers are the only ones that really keep the teeth from moving out of their final positions :-/.  I couldn't have afforded the AcceleDent, but it seems like a godsend, and boy am I sure it's available now!!!!!!  I've heard nothing but great things, both about the experience and the company service.

Congratulations on your great progress!  The before/after collage really shows your progress nicely :D.  Thank you for the update!
I could probably cope for a year without the AcceleDent but my ortho quoted up to 18 months with it so I would probably go nuts if I had to go for that long! It is an expensive extra along with the entire Invisalign cost but thankfully I've got the no interest loan to help pay for it. I do tell my husband that my teeth will be gold coated once this process is over as I'm sure I could have bought a gold nugget with what it has cost for the Invisalign plus the teeth extractions & dental work!!
LOL!  But he also gets the upgraded wife, and I say that with the utmost respect.  I've had a lot of work done at this point--never thought I'd say that.  It started with Invisalign but kept going after that.  My husband is very pleased with the results, even though he never really thought about it before I started getting things done.  The confidence alone is worth thousands of dollars, and Invisalign will really help your confidence.  That money is all gonna be worth it!  I can't remember if your insurance paid for any of it?

BTW, thanks again for the pictures of the AcceleDent--I used them again in our extremely popular "18 Things I Wish I Knew Before Invisalign" Forum post :D.  I hate that grammar!  Ugh!  :)