I have a deviated septum - 8 weeks post op - Albuquerque, NM

Hi everyone. I am not sure where to start as this...

Hi everyone. I am not sure where to start as this has happened so quickly. I only decided to do this about 4 weeks ago. I am having an open septo/rhinoplasty tommorow at about noon. I am pretty excited.
I am so happy to have found this site.My friends are tag teaming me tomorrow, one bringing, one picking up. My friend has used this Facial Plastic Surgeon for herself and her daughter and he comes highly recommened. I have never had anything done and who would have ever thought my nose.

I have a deviated septum and my insurance company is paying for the procedure. I do have a big deductable but to have insurance is awesome..
So I have never "hated" my nose but I have never liked it either. I also would like to breathe better and not wake myself up storing...LOL
So here we go, I am 53 yrs young and am taking this time during the holiday to recover.

Please wish me luck, Twilight anethesia and not too long a procedure. We shall see....Oh and I did not have too much time to pick out a nose, but I provided photos and we will consult prior to the procedure in the morning.

Hi everyone, I did it yay. Went into my procedure...

Hi everyone, I did it yay. Went into my procedure at noon today, yes about 6 hours ago? It was so much easier than I thought and my surgeon did everything. Septo-Rhinoplasty was done under twilight anesthesia, yes I was talking and aware of everything. What I liked is I never had to go through the awful wake up process. I got up and dresses 30 mins later and my friend took me home. I was not intubatedd and do not have any packing.
I will take pictures as I sit here and write.

Well, woo hoo so happpppy. Went way better than I...

Well, woo hoo so happpppy. Went way better than I expected, no post pain and have enery. I am so pleasently surprised. I will update with a detailed explanation in the morning as I am going to sleep. Sweet Dreams and don't be afraid...

Today is day 3 post op. I started to get a little...

Today is day 3 post op. I started to get a little more swelling and a partial black eye. I had a little nasea today but all is pretty well. My nose is full of dried blood so no breathing from it today. I cannot wait to see my new nose. I took the gauze off and that is great.
Overall, my nose does not hurt at all. I have hardly had any pain at all, no headache or anything and this was a full rhino/septo. I was partially awake during the procedure and I have to say, given the choice I would do it all over again like that. I remember talking and hearing everything. I also remember not having to wake up from general anesthesia which is great. I didn't get sick or anything.
I do not have packing, but I am so excited.
How long does it take to start being the shape that it is going to be?
I had to go get dog food so here I am driving.

Here is the sutures from the Open part of the...

Here is the sutures from the Open part of the proceidure. Does this heal up ok or will I have a big scar?

Referal

Hi! I tried to find your Doctor info on here, but couldn't. Who was your Doctor? Thanks!
Congrats JanRio! You've made a lot of progress in the past two months. Your nose looks great!
You're looking fantastic Jan! Wow!
Hope you're doing well!
Hi Gift how are you doing? I do not tape at night. I have my follow up on the 17th. My nose is looking crooked but the Dr. says it is because of uneven swelling. Do you tape at night and how is your healing going?
I was not taping at night either And my nose was also looking crooked but my doctor said taping is a must and specially at night.. He said our body has memory and it's trying to shift my bone back to where it use to b. so now I tape day and night. I will see him tomorrow so I hope everything looks good .. Keep u guys posted .. I am about 3 weeks an still flushing my nose out ..
Hello JanRio! I'm glad to see and hear that you're healing along nicely! It really does take a very long time to heal. It's hard to be patient, but I guess we have no choice! Do you tape at night?
Hi my nasal scar is so much better, not perfect yet. I think it will be fine though and my nose is cute!!!I had so much done and was getting impatient, so......silly me...youtubed the operation.. I am here to say, no wonder it takes so long. My nose has been through ALOT. It literally needs to grow....Heal and shape up.
It's looking fabulous. Wow you put something on YouTube? I'll have to check it out. Take care!
Hold on a minute, I get it. You meant you watched how the procedure is performed on YouTube. I thought you posted yours on YouTube...ah silly me, must be the Arnica spray!!
HI, I am not sure about my sca yet as it is quite asymetrical. My surgeon thinks it is the swelling and I have a follow up 3 weeks post op. I am sure he can fix it if it is not right. I put bacitration on it and I am sure it is fine for a touch of makeup as the wound is closed. It is a bit wierd about the swelling though, has anyone else had this? My nose is great and still numb. I am going to love it I am sure. I go back to work tomorrow and will be presentable so I will take pictures! Happy New Year.
Hi Jan Rio. I have enjoyed following your story. How is your wound-scar going? How have you been caring for it, and is it ok to put makeup on it yet? Congrats!
Hi Gift. I could not log on for a few days, something wrong with site, UGH. OMG I am so happy for you and for me. I really could relate because I was trying to hide my narrow nostrils as well. When the Dr. removed my cast last Wednesday I was so excited. I have some swelling that needs to go down for sure but it is healing nicely. I asked the Dr. what he did and it is amazing how skilled these surgeons are. He removed cartilage and then added it to build a tip for my nose. He also lengthened my nose so he could shorten my nostrils. I think you and I had similar work? Anyway I will take another picture today as the swelling has gone down alot and I have a new little girly nose. Did you have a picture of a nose that you gave your dr. as a wish nose for you? I did, I would love to see yours, and I will send mine too. Do you have a private email? I would love to keep in touch, I am in NM.
Hello, I'm so glad you are happy! Your new nose looks very good so far. I showed my doctor a picture of Princess Mary of Denmark that I got off the internet, just as an example of what I liked. My doctor had to be careful not to make my nose too small because if he did it would make my chin look too big. It's all about balance. You can message me anytime through this website. I will keep my account active for quite some time. Take care.
Hello Jan Rio, How are you? How did it go?
Merry Christmas everyone. The procedure I had done was a full open Septo/Rhinoplasty with full reconstruction.Yes I had my front nasal bone rasped, alot and my nostrils shortened. I was tired of having a "push up" nose. I also had one nostril lower than the other which bothered me although other people seemed not to notice. On the tip I had provious cancer surgery and had a scar that bothered me and as a result also had veins that were showing. Everyone said makeu[ covered it however. sometimes I like to go natural. I found pictures of noses on google images and printed them out for my surgeon. Of course I tried to find women with the same shape face as mine. Boy had to make sure I knew that my face was still going to be min lol. I gave the pictures to my surgeon 2 days prior so he had time to look at them and he chose the same 2 that were my favorites and we discussed the morning of my surgery. I felt comfortable with my surgeon and "liked" him which I think is important. So now to the Twilight...thing... I truly thought I would be asleep. Which I was but I wasn't. First thing is I was in a nice surgery center and had an IV inserted and was relaxed. So as usual they put me on the table and I was in an operating room that was playing "Jingle Bell Rock" which I thought was just perfect. I dozed off and as I reflect back now don't really remember the first part at all. Then I remember hearing voices and feeling th novicaine being put into my nose. Kinda like a dental procedure, not really disconcerting at all. Then I started talking and asking when I was going to fall asleep, but felt like I was in a dream. Not scared or in pain or anything. I had a clothe draped over my eyes and thought to myself, keep my eyes closed I do not want to see. To be clear I was not really awake it is weird but would do it over again. Then, they started rasping my nasal bone, like going to town on it. He would check my profile then rasp some more.. No pain at all just a little pressure. Then he would rinse and he started from the bridge of my nose so I knew I was totally open. What I really liked is when he told me he was cosing me uo and then like nothing I was totally awake and in a wheelchair. I got myself dressed within 30 minutes. So my thing is, if I can do this and have it go well, anyone can. I am a big chicken but I hate going under general..... I hope this helps and does not scare anyone thinking about this procedure. It was not scary, ot painful and yes I would do it again.
Hi Jan Rio, Yes, that's funny, I agree with you and renap1 about how common this procedure is! At the last few staff meetings I worked I slyly checked out all the women's noses (at least I hope I was sly). There were more than a few that I thought, for sure, they had had work done! Jan Rio, did you only have the deviated septum corrected? Or any aesthetic work done as well?
Funny you say that many women have done this surgery. Since I have done mine I cannot stop looking at everyone's noses and trying to figure out if they had it done too. Some I can actually tell others I cannot but wonder if they have. This is going to be an obsession of mine now although I really hate it because nose is the first thing I look at when I meet someone. I swear its like buying a car that you think no one has but once you buy it everyone seems to have it and you keep seeing it on the street all the time when you didn't see it before.
On another note. You look great! You don't seem to have a lot of bruising and swelling as I did. I bet you cannot wait to get that cast off. Mine came off in 5 days. The doctor was trying to schedule an appointment with me 6 days after the surgery but I could not wait and made an appointment for 5 days. He said it was fine and no big deal.
Thanks Mari, I hope mine heal that well. The Twilight was a bit wierd but honestly I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was almost like I was a spectator. The thing I really liked was NOT having the after effects of general anesthesia. I am so excited. I would like to wish you all a Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas tomorrow. I will share details tomorrow when my boys are gone. Gonna chillax with them now..
I had my sutures taken off 2 days ago and now go canĀ“t even tell where the doctor made the cut!! they heal really fast!
Wow, I'm amazed at the lack of swelling and black and blue eyes. Your doc did a great job! I had sutures under my nose too, and at day 16 you can't even tell I had stitches there. I don't think I could do the twilight deal though. You are braver than I am!
Great pics. I'd like to know the answer regarding scarring too as mine will be open too. Keep up the great healing :)
Thanks, I do have some yellowing around my eyes. I cannot wait to see the result? Hey gift how are you?
Glad everything is going well