No Idea if my Damage is Laser Related.. Please Help - Albany, NY

I had yag laser done On January 30,2014. The...

I had yag laser done On January 30,2014. The session was literally 5 minutes long ( just for a few broken blood vessels on and around nose). I had a few scabs that fell off after a couple weeks and then had 2 hydra facials one on 2/19/2014 and the other on 3/14/2014. These are pretty gentle facials, the first had a 7% glycolic, the second she upped it a little with 14% (which is extremely low). about a week after my second facial, my skin totally dried out. I'm used to having very oily skin, and there was literally no oil left. My skin just seems to have gotten worse over the past 2 months, I'm covered in little bumps all over one side of my face, and my cheeks look like orange peel. But I never had laser done on either of those places, so how could this cause that damage? I'm just wondering if anyone has had laser ONLY on the nose and its damaged their entire face? My skin now burns so badly every day on my cheek area, it swells up, I can't wear makeup it just makes it look worse, its so dry and rough and bumpy. I'm just out of answers, the derm says its contact dermatitis, but NOTHING is helping. I'm worried that this is permanent and I have lost all interest in life. I stopped going out, or talking to anyone. I'm super gentle with my skin and eat healthy. I am beyond depressed and just can't imagine how a laser for 5 minutes on my nose could damage my entire face? (Nose is fine). please help.

Please Help with my Skin Damage, I Am Losing my Mind.

Hi everyone, This is like the third time I've posted on here trying to get help for my skin damage. I had ONE session of yag laser on my nose for a few broken blood vessels on January 30,2014. The session was a bit uncomfortable and I did have some scabbing that lasted a few weeks, but when they fell off, I assumed I'd be fine. It was not until 2 MONTHS LATER, that my skin completely dried out, I mean sucked of all moisture, all over my face. I cannot even smile without it hurting. I have all sorts of little bumps all over the left side of my face, and my cheeks have this bumpy orange peel texture now, which I've never had. I also have this horrible burning sensation which comes and go on my cheek area. I am totally at a loss because the laser did NOT touch any of these areas, and the session literally lasted 5 minutes. I've read that laser damage looks like this though. The only other thing I had done was 2 hydrafacials, One a month after the laser, and one 3 weeks after that .Now these facials are extremely gentle, very low glycolic acid .The first had 7%, the second 14%. It was exactly 5 days after my second facial that the skin dried out. But how could this last for 2 months?!?! I've read online of people getting 70% peels and recovering in a week! I've been to 2 derms, the first said very mild rosacea (but claimed that's not what he was treating, said I had contact dermatitis). He prescribed metrogel, burned too much to use. Second derm last week said no way rosacea, and said I had beautiful skin and people would pay for it, she just thinks something is irritating it. She gave me a steroid ointment, which I could only use for 3 days the burning was so intense. I am at such a loss as to what happened to my beautiful skin. I was using Dr.Hauschka products before this all started, I quit using those because at firs tI thought they were to blame! I've tried it all, no washing, washing with honey, emu oil, jojoba oil, seabuckthorn berry oil, cerave, I'm now on all kinds of vitamins (fish collagen, hyaluronic acid, fish oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil) just to try and help my skin heal. How could this have happened overnight and was it the laser? How could laser cause damage to cheeks when it didn't touch them? I literally cry all day every day because of this, it has ruined my social life and is ruining my relationships with boyfriend and family. I feel like people think I'm crazy because they say your skin looks great. My skin doesn't even feel like skin anymore, just feels rough and dry, like its missing a layer or something. It used to be soft and oily. Will I ever heal? I can't take much more of this.
Latham Plastic Surgeon

I Called several times and even went into the doctor to see if this damage was caused by the laser or facial. they said no.

So sorry to hear about your adverse reaction- how stressful! I am a medical aesthetician and laser technician. Hopefully I can shed some light on your problem for you. It's extremely unlikely that Yag laser treatment on the nose only would cause issues with the rest of your skin. The energy emitted is very focused on the veins alone, in a tiny beam which protects the surrounding tissues. I am more inclined to think that your skin is reacting negatively to the Hydrafacial and glycolic acid. Sometimes skin that appears normal and healthy can be very irritated by exfoliating procedures. The combination of physical exfoliation (hydrafacial) and chemical exfoliation (glycolic acid) can be very traumatic on certain skin types. Yours is a rare reaction but not unheard of. Of course, there is also a chance that you are reacting to something unrelated to the procedures, such as a dietary change, skin care product or laundry detergent. Think of any possible changes you made during the time just before your treatments that may give you clues. What products are you using now on your skin? I would recommend switching to all organic products, if you haven't already. The chemicals and additives in typical skin products can worsen the condition of dry, irritated skin. You need very gentle products to baby your skin and nurse it back to health. Don't give up- there is definitely hope for your skin!
thanks for responding...This has truly ruined my life... I literally spend nearly all day every day trying to think of what the hell happened to my skin.. I have been SO gentle since may! How can this not be healing? The burning sensation went away for a while, now I experience it just about every single day. every single pore is visible, and there is serious milia under my eyes. The lady I go to for facials says its not milia but cholestorol spots, which I don't believe. My skin was nice, not perfect, but really nice. I feel like it is RUINED. I just started at home dermarolling, because this I feel is the only thing that may help me. I've tried every other organic oil/product on earth, and nothing works. Every supplement out there, I've taken. Where do you work? If you're in the area I would love for you to look at my skin. Right now I am using dermaological barrier repair and some hyralounic acid serum after I roll, which has only been twice so far. My skin was NEVER sensitive, now this constant burning/tingling sensation along with bumps and cat scratch like marks have ruined my life. Even if it was the glycolic, it wouldn't have lasted this long, Im young, my skin should have healed. I fear I am scarred for life.
Hi Saradominica: I'm so sorry what happened to you and the others posting. I looked up contact Dermatitis on Wikipedia and your symptoms sound like it could be that, but I didn't read anything about the texture of you skin changing. That sounds like laser damage to me if you read all the other posts people have written regarding their skin texture being like an orange peel and having no moisture after lasers. I think these docs say contact dermatitis about every skin condition you walk in the door with when they don't have an answer. There are a few different kinds of contact Dermatitis. Did any of the docs tell you what sort of contact dermatitis it is? I would think if you were having an allergic reaction that other parts of your body would be reacting. And if it is what the docs are telling you, then oral prednisone may help....according to wikipedia! I will be praying for you and the rest of the people on this site who are suffering. Best Wishes to you and everyone else!
Everything's temporary, all your collagen is temporary. Tissue doesn't get better with age. Furthermore, I don't believe the laser spreading theory either. That's like saying I worked out my biceps but my legs hurt...
Hi Sara, I'm sorry for what you are going thru. Same thing happened to me from peels and maybe retin a. I believe some people with an oilier skin type are VERY susceptible to this orange peel kind of damage. I read that your skin is not burning as much, this is a very good sign that your skin is healing. You are very young and all your new skin cells are going to be well formed under this damage and I believe will push thru to the top eventually so please hang in there! Don't be giving up on life you're too young for that. Do not let your skin define you, as devastating as I know it is right now you will come out of this. It sound like you are doing all the right things however stress is a pretty big deal when it come to healing. Try to get out and take walks daily or do some form of exercise to help with the stress you are going thru. Breath deeply and think of things you are grateful for. You are going to survive this. The power of positive thinking is powerful stuff! You've had a couple docs say they believed dermatitis , are they referring to the red bumps? Maybe after your skin completely stabilizes your skin might be able to handle the treatment for that? Just a thought.
I am in the exact same spot as you saradominica. A five minute skin rejuvenation session on some spots of my cheeks ruined my under eye skin. I have broken blood vessels, hemosiderin staining under the eyes, and my skin is all burnt and shriveled up now making me look a thousand years old. I never had dark circles but have to do a paint job before leaving the house now. I cry every day and get severe anxiety all the time now because I know how drastically my looks have changed. I too left my job last week due to this and am suffering mental anguish and trauma every waking minute due to this.
I am so beyond bummed guys. Actually had a nervous breakdown and quit my job due to my skin issues. I just don't understand what happened to me. My skin was great. I had one yag laser on my nose recovered fine 2 facials later and my skin has not recovered in 2.5 months. Open pores. Lines connecting pores broken caps dry skin so bad I can't smile... And a horrible burning sensation tht comes and goes. Three derms later everyone says contact dermatitis. Just don't believe them. I've now got patch tests stuck to my back to see if I'm allergic to something, highly doubtful. I keep thinking laser damage because of how bad my face looks, but I only had a couple caps removed only on nose! Why would my entir left side of face be damaged? Red bumps everywhere? Dry skin ALL OVER face? I almost don't recognize myself anymore and can't look in the mirror. My skin will not heal. I am 26 and look horrifying. My skin is so rough and dry to the touch, my cheeks don't even sweat anymore. Life ruined had a great job now gone. Everything is slipping away so quickly I sleep all day and dread tomorrow how can I heal my skin If I don't know what happened? So devastated
Sara, I'm so sorry your having to deal with this as well. My damage is from a Vitalize Chemical Peel I had 2 months ago. My face is a disaster, I have depressed marks on my right side, and discoloration that spreads and changes daily. I've been to 3 dermatologists and they all say I have contact dermatitis as well. I was perscribed Protopic ointment 2 weeks ago, my skin looked like it was finally healing for about 4 days, now its back and worse than ever. I'm getting married in 1 month and am SO utterly depressed this is going on before my wedding. I was wondering how the Psoria- Gold worked for you?? I've been contemplated getting it..
Hi b... I used psoria gold for 2 weeks and really didn't see any difference at all. This whole thing Is so devastating basically I've given up on life. My skin on my face feels so rough my boyfriend who's a mechanic and treats his skin like shit.. His feels like a million times better... Mine doesn't even feel like skin.. Feels like sandpaper.. Seems like I lost all moisture in it.. So scary dry... Do u have thi also? I'm so scared to use the even low dose steroid cream because I really don't know I this damage is facial related or contact dermatitis. My facial wasn't even a peel! I'm so confused bc a steroid will only hurt my skin If damage is facial related it's been almost 3 months I don't think my skin will ever go back I can't look in mirrors I wish the oil would at least come back I literally have a hard time moving my face! And the burning and tingling I get is so bad I've never heard any one else mention the burning. So lost and hurt, stay in bed all day was just out on antidepressants
I know exactly what your going through..I'm 24 and feel my skin is forever ruined and am severely depressed from this. I as well experience the extremely dry skin to the point where it hurts to smile..I have my bachelorette party tomorrow but feel to depressed to go. My face is burning SO bad..I do believe this may be some sort of dermatitis that wont allow my skin to heal. I feel the peel damaged my skin and became so inflamed that its delaying the healing. I feel the key is to get rid of the inflammation first and foremost. I tried cortisone for a few days but decided to stop after consulting my derm. My next appointment is on Monday and I know it will keep getting worse until then since the burning is only worsening daily. I'm praying for answers on Monday, and until then i'm leaning on my Fiance, Family and God to get through this. I feel so defeated by this, but I know God's plan for me isn't to live in misery, and that's not his plan for you either. I know it's hard, but try to keep your faith that everything will work out. Keep me posted on your progress..praying for you.
Hi there! I actually went to a consult with you PS for the laser you had and decided to go with another local PS and had damage. There is some phenomenon where the heat from the laser in one area damaged the skin on other areas. I had Fraxel only on my nose but I have noticed my cheeks look worse now too. I've also had a bad reaction to glycolic acid 10% cream but recovered in a few weeks. Maybe you need a oral steroid like prednisone? That way you won't have a burning reaction when the cream is put on.
I Went to my regular doctor last week and asked about the oral prednisone, she said she wasn't totally sold on that. She actually prescribed another cream but I just will not put any more medicated creams on my face, I'm too scared. I have been using the psoria gold sensitive plus cerave pm on my face with emu oil at night for about a week now. I see no real improvement but the burning has subsided a bit. I'll definitely check into the prednisone. I'm so desperate I cannot believe my live has turned into this, researching all day, crying, reading horror stories and staring at myself in the mirror. I've becoming obsessed and it has taken over my life for sure. I hear most people say the damage occurs from fraxel (usually more than one session). What kind of damage is on your cheeks now? and what was your reaction after fraxel, was it immediate?
Sorry to hear you are struggling with the condition of your skin. I don't know much about the HydraFacial but when I looked it up on Google, they appear to be very safe, did you notice any of the side effects you are seeing now after your first treatment  -and did you ever follow up with clinic to see if your skin condition could be related to the treatments? I have never heard of a laser treatment impacting any of the skin not treated.
Hi Eva Yes I went back to te office twice, both times they assured me it was neither the laser or facial. It's now been 2 months of extreme dryness texture change and burning and no one can tell me why. I've been so gentle using natural oils even not washing at all for a while. I've just started using psoria gold sensitive because I read it's good for damaged skin. I am just so scared and have no idea what could have caused my skin to change overnight and not heal.
That is really odd - you should try (and I always suggest a test spot) Manuka honey, or any raw honey will work, here is a review where they discuss this.
im in the exact same situation as you and i can assure u its just the beginning of the nightmare. in my case it wasnt glycolic peels but rather exfoliation but same thing. i had lost my cheek fat as well. the extreme dryness is the indicator of lost collagen. basically the laser u did replaced all ur healthy and resilient collagen with hypersensitive new collagen that breaks down very easily. the reason u noticed the super dryness after two months is because it took u tat long for the healthy collegen u had to slowly become replaced by new collagen and become weaker and weaker. yeah the peels made ur collagen collapse but a couple months down the line even without it would have done the same thing anyways so dont blame urself. also u said u only had around the nose but thermal heat spreads to all parts of the face its callrd thermal bystander effect. right now there is no solution out there right now. im post eight months from the time i felt my skin become crazy depleted and dry and turn into crazy texture exactly like u describe. some say stem cell fat grafting heals it which im sure it would but even that is just temporary since fat grafting also wears off just like fraxel in the years to come. leaving ur face even worse than when u havent had it. accutane seems like a good bet and ive heard people healed the texture although not cheek fat loss if u have that down the line which im pretfy sure url experience sorry to say. just keep ur skin moisturized. ill write a review if i ever find a solution which im frantically and actively looking for right now.
Well that's the most depressing thing I've read, basically a 5 minute yag session on my nose has ruined my entire face forever and I'm 26 years old. I can't go on living like this I don't get out of bed as it is. Thanks for the input, can't believe I ruined my entire life
But you had fraxel which is way more damaging from wht I understand?
laser is laser no matterhow they try to package it the method at which they heat up ur skin may be different but the core of it is essentially the same. they heat up ur skin. as i said collagen isnt meant to be forcefully created. it only creates temporary collagen at the expense of healthy ones. the reason ur skin seems to look good for the following few months or years is exactlyfr this reason. some may even notice that their skin looks fabulous at the six month mark because thats when all that newly produced collagen hits its final remodelized state. result is a better texture a full face and basically a firmer face. however like i said its temporary collagen. ones that will fall to pieces no matter how well u take care of ur face or avoild the sun. it will break down and when it does ur pretty much left looking at the true damage of the laser in the way of texture damage skin saggin(due to loss of firmness) and such. basically its like burning ur face and masking the damage with a temporary face(artifically produced collagen). there are people who keep getting lasers because they dont want to see the truth. the truth that these lasers burned ur skin and masked it up. these people will only see that later in the run their face ends up being burned even more and no matter how many times u try to laser it the damage will only accumilate
I guess I'm just not totally sold that the laser did the damage because number one my nose which was the only part lasered seems fine. It's my cheeks that now have orange peel texture and are very dry and sometimes burn. You are the only person that has said that the rest if my face could be damaged even though laser only touched my nose. The yag laser is different because it pinpoints the broken blood vessels unlike fraxel which people mostly have on larger areas. Can you describe your laser experience please? Where did you have the laser? Damage spread? Did any of it ever heal? I just find it so hard to believe that my symptoms came out of nowhere and are not related to the lasered area. So confused