So Happy I Finally Did This! - Albany, NY

I am a 44 year old Nurse Practitioner with heavy...

I am a 44 year old Nurse Practitioner with heavy bags under my lower eyelids for at least 15 years. I've been told that I look young for my age, but at the same time, how tired I look. The procedure itself was quite easy, taking approximately one hour under general anesthesia. I was immediately able to see the difference postoperatively. I had very little bruising and absolutely no pain. I am currently two weeks postoperative and have already been told that I look 15 look younger by multiple people. I can't be happier. I found that arnica Montana and bromaline were very helpfull as well as eating pineapple for decreasing bruising and swelling. I also slept sitting upright for a week. I agree with other people on this site, make sure you pick the right surgeon for this procedure because it could easily go wrong. Dr. Deluca answered any questions and responded very quickly to any concerns I had postoperatively. I couldn't be happier with the outcome so far, and I know I will only continue to improve.

4 weeks out now and still healing. I can now feel...

4 weeks out now and still healing. I can now feel the incision lines are firming up and swelling when waking up in morning is minimal. I still have small area of bruise and swelling under right eye due to my sister accidentally hitting me post op.. Dr. Told me this eye would heal one week later than left, which was correct. Btw, I labeled my one picture one week after surgery which was incorrect, it was 3 days after surgery. Will have follow up with surgeon in 2 more weeks. Still happy with my decision. See updated photo.

It's amazing how on a daily basis, at 5.5 weeks...

It's amazing how on a daily basis, at 5.5 weeks I'm still seeing changes and improvements. The best thing I can say to anyone considering this surgery or that is early in recovery is, be patient and allow healing to take place, bc you WILL improve. It is unfortunate to read some of the stories on this site. I'm so grateful that I had such great results. On a bright note, I was proofed at Applebee's when trying to buy a margarita. That made my week! I tried to put a different light picture for my update, no more bruising, mild swelling.

2 months post op

2 months post op. had my follow up with Dr. Deluca and he was very pleased. I feel that I'm totally recovered at this point and whatever healing continues to occur is icing on the cake. My final statement is that I do recommend this surgery, but only after you research your surgeon and make sure you are prepared mentally to go through it. I went in knowing I would look beat up for a couple of weeks and that there would be months of recovery. If you keep that in mind, the results will come.

5 months post op

So still seeing changes and improvements. Very happy I did the surgery with absolutely no regrets. Turned 45 in July, and no one believes me, but the best part is, no one asks me if I'm tired or in a bad mood since the day I had the surgery. I was asked on a regular basis. I still eat pineapple everyday and still take one bromaline daily. I figured it doesn't hurt through a long hot summer, I don't want any swelling, I'd rather keep the swelling down to avoid wrinkles.

Updated pictures

Pre and post op 5 months
Albany Plastic Surgeon

I finally decided to find a plastic surgeon that filled several important criteria. I wanted someone with experience, who performed many facial procedures, a good bedside manner, and confidence. I found all of these attributes in Dr. William Deluca. It was very simple to make an appointment, we met and scheduled my surgery within a couple of weeks.

Hi there, quick question....how often and what time a day do you take your Bromaline? I haven't pulled the trigger on surgery just yet, but picked up some Bromaline at Whole Foods today to see if it will help with everyday swelling. Just wasn't sure if I should take it at night or in the morning. Do you think it helps? Thanks!
Hi. When I had surgery, I took the bromaline twice per day. For several months after surgery, I took this daily in the morning. It definitely helped to keep the swelling down. I no longer take it bc I have absolutely no swelling at all. I still avoid sleeping on my stomach just in case. This was the best thing I have ever done. I truly have not one regret. Good luck, and hope u make the right decision. I can answer any questions for u any time.
You really look great! Absolutely gorgeous. I hope to have results like this, always had horrid hereditary dark circles due to lack of fat in the upper face paired with fair, thin skin in that area. How did you decide on your surgeon?
Thank you very much. I did a lot of research and checked out alot of doctors in my area. None of them fit my criteria. I wanted someone with a lot of facial and eye experience. Also, i wanted someone with a lot of great reviews. He was able to show me a lot of before and after pictures which helped also. I traveled over two hours to meet with Dr. Deluca, traveling back-and-forth before and after surgery. This was definitely worth it. I have worked with a lot of doctors and have a good feel for them, I was lucky and picked the right surgeon. Good luck on your journey and I hope you make the right decision.
KRFNP, thank you, sincerely, again. While I highly respect all of the Drs comments and notes on this site, there's nothing like hearing from an actual patient and their personal accounts. Ty.
Hi, if I can trouble you again... Do you recall How much more swelling went down between weeks 2 and 6? 20-30%? More? I see what I hope is still some minor swelling at my 2 week post lower bleph date today. Just very antsy to figure out how much more that might go down in the next month. Sorry for my OCD! :). Thank you, as always, for any insights.
No problem. Any questions, feel free to ask. I would say 70 percent down by 6 weeks. 2 weeks is very early in healing. You will be really happy in the next couple of weeks. I know you have seen a lot of comments how changes occur months out and it's true. It's hard not to be OCD with this surgery. I was too. You actually get pretty fast satisfaction, even though it seems forever. I remember the feeling.
Hi, I'm from Albany as well. Your outcome of the surgery looks great. I've been researching for the best surgeon and I'm considering going to Dr.Deluca for a consultation.
Dr deluca has a lot of facial experience with over a thousand facial procedures performed. He will show you a book with many of his results. I would highly recommend him. I felt extremely comfortable as soon as I met him, and he answered any questionse that I had. I have been more than thrilled with my results. You have to meet with him yourself to see. Good luck!
Your results turned out beautifully, congrats! I don't see what type of blepharoplasty you had done mentioned -- were fat pads removed and/or redistributed from inside the lid, or was skin excised externally (or both)? I'm also curious as to why a general anesthesia was used, as that seems unusual when not combined with other surgery, such as a face lift. Thanks!
Hi Diane. I had a lower lid bleph with a subcilliary incision with a skin muscle flap. He told me he was conservative with any skin removal to be cautious with my tear troughs. I was given the option for local with sedation or general. I am kinda of skiddish about eyes, so I opted for general anesthesia. I've had surgery in past with no issues, so I chose that. They were the same charges. I felt it was quick and easy for me that way. I am very fortunate and grateful for my results. Thank u.
Thanks so much!
Picking the right surgeon is very important. Too many unqualify doctors are doing comestic/plastic surgery and people are paying the price when it is botched by those that have no skills, talent and experience. People should be very careful about doctors and doctors PRs writing fake positive reviews. The big red flag is when the review is way too long.... bragging about the doctor's skills, words like amazing, the best surgeon, the best doctor, etc is usually fake reviews. I am not as lucky as you. I have tons of scars from the so call eyelid expert I used. I have to live with wearing dark sunglasses and have bangs to cover countless dents, divots, stitch marks, pleats on my eyelids, eyebrows, and above my eye brow. I have "11"s on my forehead plus a lot of man made dents that Dr. W. done on my face. Those dents created ripples on my skin, pleats on my skin and made me looking like I am angry all the time and old. I have a lot of zig zag stitch marks all over my eyelids, inside my eyebrows, above my brows, obvious scars that extend outside of my brows, the left one way worst than the right one. He made cuts at an angle on my eyelids and pulled it extremely tight. I am an Asian women that looks about 60 years older than my real age. This doctor clearly lie about his asian eyelid experience. He has no clue about asian skin type 4. I have a lot of needle holes on my face due to him not knowing what he is doing. The needle holes turn dark brown. No doctors can understand why he made such a mess on my face!!!! It makes no sense. Asian want a natural look to their eyelids. Of course this doctor deny any of his terrible comestic work & continues to post fake positive reviews on himself. Anyone seen his work on my face will know that he done this to me without informed consent. For me, scars don't get better but worst in time. As time goes by, the scars showed up worst. Don't trust and believe all that you find on the internet. Most great reviews are written by the doctors or his rep. Most articles on the web praising the work of the doctors are put there by the doctors themselves. I did have a consultation before I had eyelid surgery. I clearly told this doc what I want done. It is obviously he didn't write it down and didn't give a sh&t what I wanted, but used me as a guinea pig.
I am very sorry to hear about your terrible results. Unfortunately, this surgery seems, sometimes when reading other's experiences, like a coin toss. I read a lot of information, including 100's of reviews before deciding to do this surgery. I took about a month to find the right surgeon. I made sure it wasn't a surgeon who didn't have experience with eyes. My surgeon has been in practice for 27 years, without any malpractice, done over a 1000 faces, and had minimal poor reviews. I saw him on 2 occasions before the procedure to make sure we were on the right page. I reviewed books of his past work and asked a lot of questions. My surgeon is over 2 hours from where I live, but I felt it was worth the drive for the chance to have the best results. I WAS very fortunate with my results and appreciate that everyday. I have helped others on this site as I was helped, bc I want to pay it forward. I am in the medical field, maybe that's what helped with my recovery and knowing just what to do preop. I also have supple skin on my face and neck which also helped. I by no means knew my surgeon before I chose him, but if anyone would ask my opinion, I could not give him any bad review at all and would be glad to return to him in the future if I need anything else done. Again, I am sorry for your experience, and hope you can revise what was done to you or at least make some peace with it. Good luck.
I am happy for you. I do not wish even my worst enemy to get a face like mine. You look very pretty and young and not everyone's outcome is like that. I was young then and Dr. W. an oculoplastic surgeon in Orange County, Ca aged me several decades. Not even my parents have those wrinkles on their eyelids. None of my siblings have '11s', not even my parents. I have those terrible frown lines without making any muscle movements. They are put there by Dr. W. No doctors can understand why Dr. W done this to me, but they know it is surgical placed there. Some people think maybe he was drunk or on drugs. This is the only conclusion I can come to for years. I clearly told him at consultation time what I wanted, but the outcome is totally different. The scars and cuts got worst in time. Dr. W. told me to use coco butter to soften up the scars, but I am asian with skin type 4. Coco butter can help very fair skin people. How can that help those ugly cuts , divots, dents, pleats, and where he made knotts look like neuron cells or sunburst (he pulled way too tight according to several doctors). One understand what he was trying to do. What he done damaged my skin, my youthful eyes and aged me badly. I am here just to let people know that surgery done without informed consent do happen. I pay the heavy price for it. It is on my face and I wear big dark sunglasses all the time during the day. I used bangs to cover as much of my forehead as possible. Anyone want to see how ugly it really is just sent me a personal email. I do not wish anyone to suffer this.
A doctor takes an oath to first do no harm. He has scarred you physically and emotionally. If you haven't already, report to your states medical board. You obviously have the proof of your face to show them. In my area, recently, a pain management doctor did liposuction on a 20 something year old with NO training. Unfortunately, this person died. He not only lost his license, he has criminal charges against him. There are some very bad doctors out there, we need to watch for them for each other.
It happened years ago. When I saw how ugly the scars look like I just don't look into the mirror anymore. I just wash my face without looking into the mirror. I avoid looking into mirrors since Dr. W. used for his type of experimental surgery without my informed consent. The scars can be extremely noticeale from the side profile. The scars are many times more visible as I age. I am thinking about asking my daughter to use my new camcorder to film me from an angle. It looks really bad in sunlight. You can see someone put loops and cuts into my skin around my eye area. Let me know if you want to see it or not. This is truth I want people to know how some of these bad doctors can be. I wanted eyelid surgery to remove an extra eyelid crease near the inner corners of both of my eyes. I couldn't use eyeliner because the additional crease will make my eyes look smaller with eyeliner. If you see what happen to me, then you know no one one would have requested such surgery. when there is a death involve charges will be for certain. My face is scar for life and this Dr. W of Newport Beach keep on advertising his is an expert on Asian eyelids. See what he done to me, then you know he is full of Sh*t. After the surgery I kept thinking maybe I got an infection or something because he is an oculoplastic surgeon. I thought he knew what he was doing. Seriously, no one will no how bad it is unless they see me in person.
Thank you very much for the feedback on swelling! Cheers.
Very pretty. Thanks for the 5 mo. f/u photos.
That's so nice of you. Thank you.
hi there - you look fab! well done - I had mine done too 3 months ago and I'm quite v happy too! It's made an amazing difference to how you look - you looked fine before but now you look really good :)
Hi mike. Thank you so much. I feel that this minimal procedure made me look like my old self, how I pictured myself. Before surgery I looked tired and sad, or in a bad mood. I wasn't any of those things. Now I'm back to feeling confident and I feel like my eyes are open where before I felt so puffy and swollen. Hope you had great results too. Believe it or not, you will continue to see changes even in the next 3 months.
hi again - I know what you feel about now looking how you 'imagined' yourself to look like - sometimes I only saw the 'good me' in an occassional picture but in a lot of unexpected photos I thought I looked quite bad - but now I see photos from holiday etc and I think I now look like I 'pictured' myself to look in my mind - which is 'OK' :) Isn't it weird how you kind of feel like you have a kind of affinity with other people who have done this? It's such a stressful thing to have done, that only those who've done it know what it's like - then you kind of feel like only those who've been through it really 'get it' - you feel like you risked having a disaster for the rest of your life - but you hold tight and take the plunge because it feels like the risk is worth it - then if it turns out ok you feel ecstatic - but at the same time feeling bad/sorry for anyone who has not been happy with their results - it's a very stressful experience all round.

Yes!  You really hit the nail on the head, Mike 123.

Hi mike. That's exactly how I feel. No one understands how it felt to stare in the mirror every 10 minutes after surgery, thinking that u made a mistake, or will u ever look like what you hoped. Even six months out you still think about it, not as the first couple of months, but it's still there. It is a gamble when you get your results. I remember going into surgery praying I would have one of those good results. I was confident, but still was scared. We were lucky, and can only pass on things to help the others who are scared and not sure about their time of their journey.