What An Honor To Share My Journey With You All - Albany, GA

Hello Everyone, I have been browsing this site for...

Hello Everyone, I have been browsing this site for a while now and I've finally built the courage to finally write a post. Well, around this time in 2011, I went for a consultation for a breast reduction. It took me about 5 weeks to get approved. I was excited but later became a bit overwhelmed. I watched video's on Youtube of the procedure and it kind of made me change my mind. I also began researching a whole lot on anesthesia and oh how that REALLY made me change my mind. I didn't know it had so many risks at the time. After spending restless nights for about a few weeks prior to my surgery, I finally decided to cancel my surgery. What a mistake I made. Well, here I am on this journey again and I have my consultation in January. Hopefully I will get approved and can have it some time around February, maybe. I'm still a bit scared of the anesthesia, but there's no stopping me now. How do you all feel/felt about the whole general anesthesia idea?

IT was fine with me. My dr prescribed the anti nausea and I got it filled but I never did use it! Who is going to be your dr?
I think it's perfectly normal to be apprehensive when it comes to anesthesia, but for me it was no problem. Got my anti nausea patch on before surgery and it worked great!
Dear girl, I too was VERY nervous of anesthesia ! Im a nervous nelly about these things. Plus, I'm one of those gals that hardly ever get sick and have only gone under twice in my life, once at 7 years old (tonsillectomy) and at 31 to get my tubes tied. But it really is a breeze. They are so good at this stuff now. Some people have issues with nausea associated with it. My doc prescribed Emend, a single dose pill, taken 3 hours prior to surgery. I had absolutely NO nausea. I suggest asking about but when you go to your consult.
I'm worried about anesthesia, too. I've only been under once, and that was many years ago. I figure, medicine's constantly improving and my boobs are not! Keep us posted on your journey.
lol retrograde mine aren't improving either so after 6 years of my GP trying to get me to go....my surgery is 12/2/13...yes I'm nervous
You're so close - how wonderful! Have you written a review yet?
My surgery was two days ago. It lasted a little more than 5 hours and there's no way I would've chosen anything other than general anesthesia (as if there was an option). I understand it's a very personal decision and yes there are risks. I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you into or out of anything but there are an untold number of risks we take each day. Sometimes it's better *not* to go on YT and watch the videos (though admittedly I did it too LOL). I'm 49 and have had 4 surgeries in my life under general anesthesia with each one being a better experience. Go with your gut but don't let fear be the guiding force in your life. For me, personally, that leaves me feeling like a victim which I seriously dislike. I like to feel empowered and doing research to learn all I can enables me to make informed decisions and feel good about them. Best of luck in your process :-)
I was also scared about the idea of being under anesthesia - I had never had any surgery before this except my tonsils when i was 8 and i didnt remember that. It is normal to be scared and there is nothing like internet horror stories to make it worse! But if you are confident in your doctor and anesthesiologist you will be fine. I talked a with my anesthesiologist before my procedure and found her to be a very serious and focused person - just who i wanted taking care of me during the procedure. These people are professionals and they can handle whatever comes up. So put your faith in them and have the courage to move forward! We've all got your back!
I'm trying to build the courage. Thanks a lot.
me too I am really scare but I am exited at the same time.. I was looking 1 year ago too and changed my mind then this year I went shopping for bras and realized this is time.. to be scared.. I dont like the idea of anesthesia either but I dont care I dont want to be awake for the whole thing lol it is 2h30-3h00 that procedure so no way
I'm ready to get everything over with. I just want to wake up from surgery and say "I did all that worrying for nothing". That would be such a relief.