TT & BR, May 13th - Alaska

Have been overweight for the last 5-6 years and...

have been overweight for the last 5-6 years and have tried everything but I just can't seem to get down to the weight I want and what the BMI charts say. I’ve struggled with thyroid issues for most of this time and though I have loss some I will likely not get to the recommended weight (according to BMI).

Let’s discuss these BMI charts, I think they do not take into account your body structure and build. I am overweight but am 5"10 and 219lbs, very curvy. I still believe I will get great results but it still scares me and keep struggling with waiting.

I initially was going in just for a BR but was told the TT would make a great improvement and if I don't do this now, likely never will. Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Also, are any of these scar therapies really helpful (silicone sheets) my PS swears by paper surgical tape.

thanks this is good to know even though i have to wait to have my surgery.
Curvaceous, My story is very similar to yours. I am 5' 8" and weigh around 200. I am overweight, but shapely. I wear around a 14-16 and a 40DDD. I visited a PS for a BR and he also recommended a TT. I have the flap that hangs down that looks disgusting. I want my insurace to pay for the BR, which I also have to have 600cc's removed. He told me that I would get down to a C. I also don't want to be too small.... a D would look so much better for a girl my size. I am considering not going with insurance, so I can regulate my size. BUT I really hate to spend that much money. I'm not rich, but I don't want to make a life long mistake. Please tell me how you look and how much your PS removed from your breasts. Some before and after pics sure be help me. It seems like most of the pics on here are of smaller woman. Glad you are feeling better. I really look forward to reading your posts. Thanks!
I purchased my silicone sheets and wrap from Amazon and got free shipping as well/ the compression belt has silicone sheeting inside of it and is called the GelZone. It is great and cooling. You cannot use the silicone of any kind until the Dr. Gives u the ok. It will be a while before u are ready for them/ your Dr. should provide you with a compression garment after surgery.. I woke up with mine already on. Everyone said for me to massage my scar, but I just could not tolerate and still cannot tolerate the odd feeling of the scar not having full feeling back. Research and get your best deal!
I'm wondering if a a store that specializes in health care products can help you. Us medical people have a name for these kind of stores but its not used by the public (DME-durable medical equipment) Its not a health food store. (they may be able to help too) but I know the DME would have the compression garments. You need to talk to the dr as you would need a prescription for the garments. Also they would have to measure you at least they do for leg compression stockings. I tried to look up in the phone book yellow pages under medical equipment but it was too generalized listing things that are not helpful. I know who to go to here. Just ask your dr or his nurse. Are you still going every few days. Do you have the drains in. Are you happy with how it looks so far? I've lost another 15# I've gone from a 2x to a medium size 24 to a 12 (I'm 5'7') Its pretty neat. Haven't been this wt in 25 years. Had to buy some new clothes. That was fun. lol
I'm wondering if the doctors gave you the silicone sheeting for the scars or do we find that somewhere? Kimmers likes the Palmers but is that with the sheets too? The same goes with the compression garments. Do we just wait to see what the doctor says to get or should we have them ahead of time? I don't know what or where to start with those. I'm glad everyone is healing and it doesn't sound so bad either.
use a pillow to support the incisions when you get up/down. Make sure the drains are secured to something so they don't move around and cause pain where they are inserted. Take your pain meds 15 min or so before you get up. Make sure you get up and walk every 4 hrs or so it will prevent bloodclots and pneumonia. Now don't I just sound like a nurse lol Actually it killed me getting up but I think I got up 4 hours after surgery. (mind is fuzzy after that time) and I made sure i did while in the hospital. I increased other activity slowly. The less you move the more pain you'll have. Sounds backwards but its true.
So I'm on day 3... It hasn't been too bad, as of yet. I'm keeping up on my meds like clock work. Getting up & down as been the worse part. I go in for my pre-op tomorrow. I think I will be getting my breast drains out tomorrow, and get to peak at them, praying they look good and no problems! My doc said drains in the stomach will be in for 2-3 weeks. I think the drain holes are bothering the most right now.

My breast Look so small wrapped in this ace bandage, I'm hoping there not as small as they look! Anyone else have this thought ???
I had my tt in the nuffield in england , and my drains came out on day 2, not sure the of the reason why some doctors , leave them in for weeks and some take them out , but my drainage was measured every 4 hours on the first night and next morning , by the evening , nothing at all was draning , and i was told it really hurt when they are removed , but i can honestly say i never felt a thing, x
I've had surgeries where drains have been in and they never hurt when they came out.
I'm doing better. I was in the hospital 4 days. The scheduled surgery went fine but the next day I developed a huge hematoma (bruise) in one of my incisions. It was the size of a footbal and it developed quickly and doubled in size in less that a hour. My surgeon was in surgery so a nurse held pressure on it for 2 hours. In the mean time my blood counts dropped and had some changes in vital signs that weren't good. So when the surgeon came up he took a look and took me back to the or and cleaned it out and stopped the bleeding. They kept watch of my blood counts and they are low but stable. Have to check them next week. So I have been totally wiped out. The hematoma is now the size of a melon but soft which means its not bleeding. I have some terrible black and blue there that probaly will be there a while. How was the tt. Tell me all. I so wish I could have had done. This surgery I'm really surpised the only pain the hematoma and I'm getting around ok. Getting in/out of bed/chairs myself. I couldn't do that after my lap band. I don't know if the excess weight then or not. It surprises me that that much stomach can be removed with no pain after but the hematoma certainly makes up for it. Haven't been able to eat. Little appetite today but only can eat frozen stuff. I have thrush so I'm going to call the dr in the am for an appt. I think there are a couple of other things going on. This has really kicked my butt!! I'm very glad you are doing well.
How are you feeling. I hope all is well with you and you are recovering nicely.
Good luck with your surgery. Unfortunately mine had to be canceled. I'm having a problem with my lap band and have to have surgery today to fix so now I have to wait. I'm having the band removed (it slipped its not in place and as a result I cant eat or drink) they are doing a gastric sleeve. The dr thinks I might lose more weight. I didn't think I could but with the sleeve he thinks I could. So its sounds like I'll have to wait for the tt. The only good thing is that this happened before the scheduled tt otherwise it could have been a major problem. Thats neat you were here. I would love to see Alaska. I've traveled quite a bit but have never been there. You'll have to let me know how you do. I wish I was getting the tummy tuck instead of this but things happen for a reason. God bless
@Erie9410, yes we should stay in touch. My big day is approaching and getting really nercous but excited! I am nesting, i think LOL. My pre-op is Wednesday so that will hopefully be informative. I was thinking what a small world, are you from Erie, PA? I have family there:)I was there last summer.
to calgary 4930 I see a Registered Dietician at my bariatric dr.
I'm also excited but am having a problem with my lap band (the first problem since i had it done) I don't know if I'll need surgery for that too and if so if I can have it at the same time as my tt see my bariatric dr 2morrow cuvaceous we will have to stay in touch and share our experiences with each other lol
Good luck! I had a BR and wanted the TT the doctor talked me into liposuction. My breast look great, but my stomach is misshaped. I want a tuck!! Good luck! I'm sure you're look wonderful :)
Thanks for all the feedback! Well the big day is next Friday, 13th. I'm going ahead with the TT, if I don't do it now, I know I never will later. I'm already getting my BR. I am just praying all goes well, I make it thru ok and the result are good, though I do have realistic expectations. I've seen people get BR and then after they didn't realize how big there stomache was/got. So hoping mine will blend in-:) lol.
Suggest you enquire to nutrition specialist
I see a Registered Dietician (they have a 4 year college degree) at my bariatric dr.
I must say that i agree with you , on the weight and diet issue, un like the lady who thinks she is right about all dietry issues. Not everyone is the same , and my surgeon insisted before my surgery that i was not on any sort of diet , and that i was healthy, which would and did help my recovery, i have never been told to stop carbs , or wheat , after surgery , i ate good protein meals, i think it would help on this site if people just shared their experiences , and not insist that there way is the right way , it is not very constructive, or even helpful. Listen to your body!
Very important at this time with the incisions to eat as much protein foods as possible or add protein powder. Your body needs this protein to heal the incisions. As a nurse we give extra protein (powders and drinks) to our patients with large wounds and incisions like this. My Dad passed away last year and didn't eat for 3 weeks and within days had a skin breakdown. I agree with you about sharing experiences and what is the wrong way/right way. I may have come off strong but was basing this on personal experience and fact. We counsel our patients on this issue and sometimes I think more like a nurse! lol Glad you are doing well. I get to go back to my part time job next week. Just found out. Can;t wait to go back. I love my jobs (being a nurse) take care.
sorry do not agree i've been under a bariatric dr care for 3+ years and am a registered nurse
Sorry, no sale. Look into it. Gluten can be a big problem and it is in all wheat products. It may prevent losing weight as well as making you feel sluggish.
Losing a lot a weight too fast is not healthy plus you have a greater chance of regaining it(been there done that) Also cutting out one food group is also not healthy. You need the nutrients that are in wheat. Just be sure to use brown wheat. It is better to eat from each food group in moderation. Pre op is not a good time to start any kind of diet.
There is a limit how much fat they can remove, I believe, without affecting your health. The more weight you can lose before, the better the results. If you want to drop weight quickly, cut-oof all wheat products, corn and soy for starter and eat lots of watery based vegetable soup, meat and green vegies. I lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks that way. At the beginning you should lose weight quickly. Doctors want you to have a good level of iron in your blood before surgery = red meat.
I'm getting really excited & nervous, less then two weeks away. Still feeling uneasy that j didn't lose all the weight but if my doctor thinks the result will still be good now & after I lose more after surgery, I think it will be ok. I have some before pics but I think I'm going to wait and post them with my post op pics the first couple days. Ive been getting my list/ supplies together. Did anyone use a wedge pillow to sleep with in the bed? I'm not sure how long I'll be able to sleep in my recliner, don't like it and want to try and make my bed as comfy as possible! It's a high bed so may need to get a small step stool. Also, how important or beneficial is Arnica to take for surgery?