Once a Year my Dermatologist Removes Age Spots on my Face with Liquid Nitrogen. He's Fantastic!

Each brown spot is usually smaller than the tip of...

Each brown spot is usually smaller than the tip of a q-tip but looks awful and only gets worse untreated. The trick is the ability of the dermatologist; going deep enough to remove the discoloration but not so deep that there is lightening or scarring. It's so much kinder than a facial chemical peel. The day of treatment the spot is pink and stings. The next few days the pick spot turns dark due to the dead skin (conceal with make-up). By one week the spot is gone. My doctor charges about $100 for removing 13 spots.

How far is Dr. John's office from the airport in OKC? Can you get their by taxi? Worth a trip to find a good derm. That's been my experience. It's been well worth it to travel to find expertise.
Come to OKC and have this done with my doctor! Many doctors who are less experienced treat very conservatively in order not to cause the dark spot to scar and appear white when it heals. For that we can only be grateful! But Dr John is amazing! My husband also has his spots removed and neither of us has ever had a spot whiten or return. My sister had it done on the back of her hands in Atlanta and said it was painful. I don't know what she paid but you certainly paid alot. Come to OKC when the weather cools off and see Dr John. It takes about 2 months to get an appointment but he's the real deal. When you make your appointment let them know what treatment you are requesting. Some insurance companies cover it if you are at risk for skin cancer and this is preventative.
I recently visited a derm in Palo Alto, CA to try liquid nitrogen on a few sun spots on my face and 2 large ones on my hands. She told me upfront that the clinic charges $500 for 5 spots. I thought, well it's worth $500 to get rid of these damn things! She dabbed on the LN with a q-tip on five spots but I had some on my lower arms I hated also so we chose another 5 spots. $1000!

It was easy, quick and didn't hurt. The spots on my face have not gone away. I know she was being cautious so as not to go too deep and cause white spots, but I am disappointed. The spots on my hands and arms have lightened up considerably and I am very pleased with that.

But I can't help but think, "While you're here with a cup of LN and a q-tip would it be so wrong to touch a few others while we're at it and not ring up $100 for each touch?" I have some on my legs I would love to get rid of too but don't want to spend thousands of dollars more!

It would be worth it to fly to see your guy in Oklahoma! EVERYTHING costs so much more here - the most expensive place to live in this country.
I have a few spots and would never go near a laser so this seems to be a good alternative.
The greatest skill is required on the face because too deep penetration with the liquid nitrogen can cause scarring on fragile skin. That's why I wouldn't go to someone unless they do this every day! Dr. John has easily removed brown spots on my lower legs. My sister had the back of her hands treated successfully by her dermatologist in Atlanta. I think only the face requires great expertise. Wherever the spots have been "frozen" off they have not returned. But, you wouldn't want to do too many spots really close together...ouch!
Thank you for your response. I have been looking for a successful way to remove the brown spots on my arms and legs. I would like something that is an non-invasive as possible, yet achieves reasonably good results. I'd not heard of using liquid nitrogen before, although I did have a small "wart" remove from leg with some kind of spray that "froze" it off.
I will see when it might be possible for me to go to Oklahoma City for an appointment.
Again, thank you for sharing. I appreciate it!
Does this treatment work on arms and legs? I have spots there that I'd like to remove.
NHaven, can you possibly pm me the name of your doctor, please? Thanks!
Did I tell you yet? Don't remember! It's Dr. Michael John, 15th Street, Edmond, Oklahoma. He's a dermatologist who does NOT do laser so has managed to become extremely skilled in spot removal. Best wishes.
No pictures because the spots are GONE! But they were scattered on my face.

That's cool NHaven, I'm so happy for you that the spots are gone. Congrats! Have a good weekend!

-Britt

Hi Nhaven,

$100 seems like a steal for 13 spots, how great for you. I'm glad it sounds like an easy procedure too. Pictures would be great!

Thanks so much!