After 6 Years I Ave Regained Every Ounce and Now Have a Host of Horrible Side Effects

My starting weight was 340. After my surery I lost...

My starting weight was 340. After my surery I lost 165 pounds in less then a year. I had no major complications at first and was happy as a clam with the results. Fast forward 6 years later. I have regained all the weight plus an additional 45 and now weigh 385 plus i have bald spots, multiple vitamin deficiency that has led to weekly vitamin injections, all my top teeth are gone due to acid wear. I look 60 instead of 40. Like many I am have uncontrollable flatulence and smelly stools. Due to this I am no longer welcome at most family gatherings. I am now trying to just hang on, emotionaly and spiritually.

Two of my sisters who were as big as me opted to try eat healthy foods, mainly a plant based diet and have shed 90 pounds over a period of 4 years. They look young and beautiful. We went out last week and I was mistaken for their mother and they are both older then me by 18 months and 3 years.

I would give anything to go back in time and opt out of this barbaric procedure.

I sit around eating ritz crackers and blending up Ben and Jerry smoothies. These are some of the few foods I can keep down and yes I am an emotional eater. News Flash - the gastric bypass does not change your behavior!!!

My advice to anyone considering this is to listen to what people say that have had it going on 5 years out.

If you had asked me one year out I would have recommeded it highly.  I also drink now and I never did before.

Had my by-pass 6 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I am about 5'6" and I weighed about 260 lbs at the time of my surgery. Six years later I weigh about 168 lbs which is probably about 10 lbs over where I should be but hey I know how to lose the weight I just don't. In the end by losing the weight I have probably extended my life by 10 years since I was able to completely come off of every diabetic medication I was on at the time. My life has never been happier and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
I am 6 years out from a vertical sleeve. My post exercise plans were waylaid when extremely painful periphial neuropathy was triggered by the surgery causing many months in bed until finally the right medication cocktail was applied to me. My stamina has never recovered to my pre surgery level. I suffered through 4 post surgery hospitalizations for dehydration and other things. I went on a cruise 8 months post op in a wheel chair. The lyrica is the only reason I am not in a wheelchair right now. I had nausea and vomiting for the first 10 months on an almost daily basis and even now I intermittently throw up my supper. It took 2 years for my hair to get back to normal. My flatulence is something I live with and many times I avoid social interactions because of it. My post surgery bowel movements regularly stop up commodes at home and also when we travel. I have consulted doctors and am assured nothing is wrong. Now I attend water exercise classes which is the best and only way for me to get exercise. I use a rolling walker as a tool to give me more mobility choices due to my arthritus. Not complaining, just explaining. I once more face dietary meal plan changes as now I am no meds to reduce uric acid and will now exist on skim milk/low fat greek yogurt smoothies and lots of veggies. My gouty arthritus was triggered by trauma suffered due to a fall. Would I have had the surgery if I had known the complications? YES YES YES. Obesity is 'complicated' with many contributing factors. The WLS surgery is a tool for us to use in our lifetime battle. I still have issues in keeping myself hydrated and that is a daily battle that is here to stay. I wish everyone well who has had or is considering WLS. Like all surgery procedures, complications can occur which cannot be predicted. Each of us must weigh the risks and the benefits. It was the right decision for me.
I am a mental health provider with one of my charges being the psycho/social assessment for gastric bypass. Now before you all take the moral high ground of not blaming the obese I will say this, "Who do you want to blame?" Let me add here this is rhetorical for it is simple you can't take in more calories than you burn. Sidebar - I am not a skinny person with no understanding, this is just another way to deflect personal responsibility. Ok, their may be genetic components as well as psychological to obesity albeit, it is still up to the obese person to address. All obese people firmly state they are ready to do whatever it takes to have successful post-surgery results, they will exercise and follow the dietary restriction. This is the "Honeymoon Period." The facts are: 1. No obese person every stated to me they were responsible for their weight gain or daily food intake. 2. Those waiting for gastric bypass believe that with a smaller stomach they will be full faster. Yet, most do not stop eating now when full. 3. Every last patient states, "I have tried everything and nothing works." Hostility greeted my statement there was no need for surgery for if nothing works then this won't either. 4. Weight loss prior to surgery is mandated to show a patient will follow the new restrictions. Sadly the way most try to lose those pounds is by traditional dieting not by instituting the lifestyle changes required for successful weight loss. Curiously, they believe these lifestyle changes will miraculously occur after surgery. The comments here about failure as well as personal regret is exactly what happens after one leaves the "Honeymoon period" only to find they are living the same reality of overeating coupled with lack of exercise. The new stomach can be stretched delivering one back to square one. Again, the obese person has to take responsibility. You did not say no to surgery for you believed this was going to be the magic pill when it was just another Monday(The day most use to start a lifestyle change only to fail.) Many, many warnings are given prior to surgery which are not heeded, fantasies abound only to be replaced by the reality that surgery changes nothing unless the person changes. All patients know the risk and benefits they only focus on the positive. Knowledge did not dissuade desire to have surgery. No need to inform me of the immediate benefits of surgery I am well versed however, I suggest all check the research on weight loss methods for they all have the same 5 year result...Failure. I extend my best to all parting with a recommendation you work on the reasons you overeat not the fact you overeat.
i can personally say I was the first person to say I had apart in my weight gain and the other blame on my parents. I was heavy all my life in 2000 I had gastric bypass the old way. I was 483lbs I am 215lbs and having gain the weight back even after having a child. I'm proud of it. Since I fought my insurance company for a year because they wouldn't pay for it back then being on Medicaid. I was almost dead they didn't care. They pointed out everything you said to the letter and said it wouldn't work, I wouldn't keep the weight loss, and made assumptions that They knew my story from there text books. I jump for JOY that I proved them wrong. And a bonus the insurance that I fought and denied it, that particular company that had a contract with the state went belly up! I now work for Aetna and I'm proud to see people who need help, not denied because its cheaper for patients to die. I was molested, had an alcoholic father, my brother was murdered and I never made an excuse. I have maintain my weight loss. I'm also proud of how beautiful I've become inside and out:-)
I had the surgery 7 years ago and really regret it. I lost 105 lbs and have only gained 22 back its the other issues, I had a revision last year do to throwing up for a year till my dr finally went in for a look and found I had a bubble like a hernia in my pouch causing me to vomit, so now 8 teeth later and having a hard time getting a partial to stay in. Also have to go for iron infusions my iron level was down to 5. I have had 7 so far and now down to one every 2 months. And s till cant eat meats, breads, milk. Its just not worth it I would rather be overweight. Please do lots of research befor considering this procedure
It will be 9 train Sept. since my surgery. I lost 174 lbs. I had to have 2 other surgeries because of abcess. I have gained 39 lbs back but still loving the new me. I recently had to wear a wig caused I lost all my hair in the front but I'm dealing with it. I pray things get better for you. Would I do it again? IN A HEARTBEAT.
Francis please do some research. In life you generally get what you pay for and I can't think of a better example. Please...check this out.

It's been years since your post, however I hope you receive.
I had my GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY 6 years ago. Was a 333lb woman, now I'm 173. Have gained 11lbs, but I amworried not worried I will loose it.
Now when seeking advice, WE need to obtain it from individuals who struggled, not an individual that has been thin their whole life. EX..we can go to a so called "nutritionists" who has never been fat, cannot and will not understand. The answer is not here, only encouragements and of course ignorance of some folks.
YOUR ANSWER, YOUR WILL POWER, YOUR SOLUTION HAS ONE ANSWER AND ITS SIMPLE........ITS YOU!!;

Go the mirror look at YOUUUU!!! KNOW YOU ARE WORTH IT! Know that the only person that will stick around with you, is looking right back at you. You are beautiful and so worth it, the weight does not, will not define who you are it only defines you with people that look at us, not by who we are but, what our look is. You and only YOU has the will power to change, its hard I KNOW...BUT you must do it if you choose, yes I must say; FOR YOU AND ONLY YOU.

I want you to know I get hungry too!!! But, I try and eat healthy fillers
Ex.: fruits,carrots, yogurt, chicken, water,water,WATER!!!
I have been a member of a gym and work out, start slowly form that habit. I LOVE running, though I'm not currently, and yes I AM SO GOOD IN DOING MY BEST TIME IS 7 miles in 1hr, 5 min!!!! When you feel like eating things like B&J or things you shouldn't LEAVE, Go for a walk, it will help with the stress! Now the rule is the next day you cannot walk the same, you must always walk a few more steps.

SEARCH AND FIND WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU!!! DO NOT LET PEOPLE TELL YOU OTHERWISE, KNOW YOU ARE WORTH SO, SO MUCH. SO MUCH THAT A GUY DIED FOR YOU AND IS ON THE CROSS. Define you, get to know YOU, NEVER STOP LOVING YOU.

YOU HAVE THE POWER!!! TRUST AND BELIEVE IN YOUUUUUUUU!

YOU CAN DO THIS!! DO NOT LET FOOD RUN YOUR LIFE, YOU RUN YOUR LIFE AND YOU CHOOSE WHAT GOES INTO IT!!

p.s. Don't buy B&J, if you don't have it, you will not eat it!!!!

best wishes!!

Sandy

Here's my thoughts. I am 10 years post op, next month. I KNOW WHAT I DO WRONG, WE ALL DO. We knew what we were going into having this surgery and we knew the rules. I STILL have dumping syndrome but know my limits, which is a cookie or a snack size candy bar. That is my cut off. My opinion is that the flatulence and smelly stools is probably a form of dumping syndrome from all of the Ben & Jerry's.
Sadly, your experience echoes what I've seen with the people I know personally who had surgery. Sure, for a few years, they're thinner.....but surgery can't fix what makes you overeat, and they gain it all back and then some. Worse, they end up with horrible health problems as a side effect from having their digestive tract mutilated. I'm willing to be that all the glowing reviews on here won't be so glowing a few years down the road, or are made by people so invested with the idea that surgery HAD to be the answer (it's too late now, anyway) that they ignore the very real problems.

20 or 30 years go, gastric bypass was almost unheard of, and it continues to be in countries that have healthy cultures and healthy eating habits. Only in gluttonous America have we been fooled into thinking that gorging ourselves on junk food is a "disease" and that the only cure is to have a doctor cut out our digestive organs and staple the remnants back together. Our skyrocketing rates of obesity show that there is something very, very wrong with the way we eat, and diet programs only make it worse. The answer isn't repeated surgeries, but a concentrated overhaul on what and how we eat (a huge portion of our calories comes from "healthy" snacking, as if we needed to be eating constantly!) lest we all end up morbidly obese and immobile. This will not happen as long as we pretend that our psycho-social disorders relating to food, and tendency to expect doctors and surgeries to fix everything for us without taking personal responsibility, are beyond our control.

I am sorry you've had such a hard time, and sorry you fell victim to a culture that says that chopping up your insides to treat overeating is normal. I hope you get better.
The ignorance of comments astounds.
When I had my operation the surgeon worned me that I would probably have bowel issues for the rest of my life, and would most likely at some point need my gall bladder removed. I never suffered with anything except cronic constipation. I learned which foods triggered my bouts and the foods that would releave them if you know what I mean. Though my operation was over 20 years ago I live a life style directed by my bypass. Alternitive (DEAD) from a stroke or a heart attack. So I think I would much prefer the first. We have do be so thankfull for what we have most good comes with a cost, and I am for one willing to pay it. As for your depression I got that too afterwards. Remember your thinking went from what you always hoped and was taught. it,s in the inside that counts to getting your self worth and selfisteem coming from how others presieve you. I am sure you have heard people say everything about you changes when you have this operation and it doe,s but they do not think that they change too. I never truly realized how much people treated me differently afterwards. I was now suddenly approachable and persude in friendship and relationships. So you now know that if you fail and gain a pound or develope other issues that you deal with people will begin to withdraw and treat you like befor but this time you know the Whats in the iside thing is just a bunch of bull. This is were a host of other issues and concerns begin to develope. Wow that was deep inside my brain lol Back on track back. Take your vitamines, drink lots of water. Trust yourself you know what is best for you. Listen and learn from your experiences and others in life not just on your bypass because you are still going to have other problems in life and they may not be related. Good luck and Good life
i know exactly what your saying im sorry about your family situation i also had the bypass started at 359 lost 120 thats it 3 years ago,never worked out i am planning on it i just got sum equipment to help tone ive gained 13 pounds, i lost alot of hair im anemic and deficient on a few other things n when i eat its horrible it runs right thru me im scared to travel im scared to drink coffee or visit friends n relatives because it can hit me all at once then times im constipated its horrible always gasy seems 24/7 and the odor when i do use it is so foul and its uncontrollable i use to be abkle to hold it before surgery not anymore i can eat more now get full n right away feel hungry i cant understand but im working on a healthier diet change because when i was traveling to NY TO VISIT MY HUSBANDS FAMILY I WOULD STARVE MYSELF JUST SO I WOULDNT HAVE TO USE THE RESTROOM ITS ALL BAD BUT I LUV THAT I WENT FROM A SIZE 28 JEANS TO AN 18 IM STILL A THICK CHICK IM TOLD IM A VERY ATTRACTIVE WOMAN I JUST AM DEPRESSED ALOT WISH I WOULD HAVE LOST MORE ANYONE WANNA BE FRIENDS SEARCH ME UP ON FACEBOOK be blessed
6 years ago I had my Gastric Bypass. I would do it again tomorrow. I agree with the one person who said to seek counseling. Something can happen during the weight loss. You are not the first person I have heard of that has had severe emotional reactions to the surgery. I too suffer from malabsorbtion and have to take extra (more than anticipated) vitamin supplements. I Lost 168 lbs originally and have regained about 20. It's my fault though because I don't eat as well as I did originally and I don't work out everyday like I use to. Ben and Jerry's is not comfort food, it is killing you. I eill pray for you and I hope you find peace.
I understand the issues you have faced including provides with not getting enough vitamins. I am 7 1/2 years post op and have lost 128 lbs. I need to lose about 28 more but it's a sruggle. Most people have had positive results but there are people have regained all of their weight. I wish you the best of luck. First of all though it's important to take back your eating issues. Without that, unfortunately you will not be able to lose weight. This surgery doesn't help with the mental state if you have issues with over eating. Luckily I did not. Take care
Food is addictive. As you say, the bypass operation does not resolve food addiction. The reviews of this procedure I'm sure would not be so positive, if most were after 5 years. The good news is that food addiction can be treated. The bad news is, like with any addiction, the recovery rate is very, very low. It all depends on how motivated you are. Recovery from food addiction is even more difficult that recovery from alcohol or other drug addiction. To recover from food addiction and lose and maintain weight loss, you must make recovery the center of your life every single day. I wish you well. Recovery is possible, and I hope very much that you will achieve it.
I am working with 3 women who have had this By pass. All 3....complications, one had to have it redone, one has regained 80% of the weight after 3 years. Complications: Vitamin deficient, dramatic hair loss(chronic) Low blood sugar(never had blood sugar issues prior to the surgery., .they also report dramatic Mood swings. The excess skin is a REAL problem: Turkey necks, increase lines in their faces, sagging abdomens & upper arm tissue......not particularly attrative women even though they have dropped 4 pant sizes. I guess if one is going to do this procedure, you need to think BEYOND the actual Bypass and plan accordingly for the cosmetic surgery that eventually will be needed. The $$$ spent do not end with the Bypass. One gal is now working 60 hours a week to fund the cosmetic surgery she now needs. If you are 40 years or less, the excess skin may not be such an issue but if you are older, your skin will NOT contract. After what I have witnessed, I would want to researh the individulas that are living with a ByPass after 5 years not 6 months and 100 lbs lighter!
I am so glad to hear your comments. I am 8 years out and lost from 291 down to 171. In the last 6 months I've picked up about 20lbs and am at 191. I am 5'8 in height. As soon as I realized my weight gain I began to get worried and go get a physical. I found out that my stoma was enlarged and that I have low thyroid issues. I am on the thyroid meds and have more energy than ever before. I workout every morning or walk 2 miles every evening. I watch what I eat as well. Gastric Bypass is not for everyone. Some people seem to think that you need to just lose and not maintain. Follow the pre surgery rules...I didn't before and wish I had.
1989 was the year I had my operation. I am going on 25 years and still over a hundred pounds lighter than I was. Mostly because of my size I am able to move around and burn energy rather than storing it now. My problem was that there was so much weight there was not a chance I was willing or even able to do much moving . Now I am aware of how easy it is to gain and even though it is a daily fight with temptation. I rise to the challenge and do whatever is needed to maintain the best I can. In my day I was the only fat kid ,now your lucky if your the only slim kid. And in that thought makes obesty acceptable. So Sad. I have issue directly or indirectly with my operation. But you do not cry over something you cannot control you just strive to learn from others experences and make the best choices for yourself to succeed in staying somewhat healthy. My advice.Take your vitamines, Tons of water, walk, stand, play as much as you can. It becomes injoyable and a way of life after a while. Take your vitamines and do your blood test religeously every year whether you want to or not. Results will keep you in check as to what your body needs and how it is doing. And get off the aspartame. BAD STUFF Work towards your reconstruction surgery. Start small if you have to. Self worh and self esteem are HUGE. I know what looking like a sack of skin and bones looks like. No money/ Insurance? Chew gum all through and after losing weight I have no double roaster gobble going on under my chin because of it. Wear Black tights when running and exersicing keep everything tight to you and not flapping and being stretched and pulled. Those spandex biking shorts are the best and can be worn under dresses and skirts. Stay away from heavy upperbody exersicing as when your able to wear sleevless again you will have minimized the heavy purple stretch marks.And if the plastic surgery afterwards is out of your reach then you do not want those breasts even more mis shapen Wear wide side band bras and stay with briefs to minnimize the appearance of rolls of the skin showing. Remember to accept everyone has issues just different ones and you work around them the best you can.
Geewiz I am nearly ten years out. I started at 260 and lost 130 and have kept it off. I was 47 when I had surgery and I tell women that we have years of perfecting the art of disquise trying to cover our obesity. Loose skin can be covered as well. I did eventually go on to have reconstructive surgery but I met my husband and married with the loose skin. I don't know if we can post links but I have some pictures of me before reconstructive surgery. A pair of tight jeans and a good bra go a long way. I also have a video of about 20 women and men showing their before and after shots that I could share. It is so important to address the psychological aspects and know that we have to deal with why we used food to self medicate our pain away. Support is super important. I volunteer full time in order to help others walk a smoother journey because I can tell them where the speedbumps are. Cross addiction is REAL. If you educate yourself this can be the most incredible miracle of your life. If you nurture and respect your surgery, it will do the same for you. I'm here to help. This is no easy way out. Every day I have to put in the effort to keep this going and I'm grateful to have this second chance at life.
Yvonne, I am 5 years out and still down about 140 lbs (I have gained and lost the same 3 lbs). I am 5'7 1/2 and weigh 145 lbs. I am one of the blessed people who got to have the body and breast, arm and thigh lifts. I am 51 and am often mistaken for 38. I have started ice skating and know I have to remain physically active in order to maintain my weight loss.

I honestly think the follow up plastic surgery has been one of the greatest factors in maintaining this weight loss. When you reach the pinnacle of success and get down into size 4-6, you will do whatever you can to maintain the loss.

I know many/most people cannot afford plastic surgery and I feel sooooo sad about that. Insurance companies should pay for this reconstructive surgery; especially because it will result in people more likely remaining their loss and remain healthy.

If you are someone who can afford to take out a loan for the post surgery (In other words, you work and can afford the payments), I would encourage you to do so.

I am grateful everyday of my life that I had gastric bypass and am so much healthier now. That alone is a blessing; the other surgeries are the cherry on top.
"maintaining" their weight loss (typo)
Hey Gbeana! Better late than never. I don't think I was notified when you posted. I love your story and can definitely relate. I'm very pleased that you have been able to maintain. Unfortunately there are many factors in whether or not we maintain. First we have to be educated about our disease. The education is lacking across the board and many of us are trying as hard as we can to share our experience. I do know many people who have gotten to the weight they want and maintained it without reconstructive surgery. I also know some that have had the reconstructive surgery that gained some back. A lot also depends on how severe their need for using food (or other things) as a coping mechanism and how self aware they are. Self awareness is all about knowing yourself, identifying old habits that are destructive and changing those to good habits into positive outcomes.

I work on my head every single day in 24 hour segments. Sometimes it all gets overwhelming and it's better to know that I just have to these things just for today. We can worry into the next ten years and that only stresses us more. The next day I start all over....fresh....no matter what. We cannot change the past.

When you look at the results from weight loss surgery you will find as many variations as sand on the ocean. Everybody's journey is different and sometimes the perception of how that journey has turned out gets turned around. Gbeana I see exactly why you are doing well and that's because you come from a place of gratefulness. Every day I remember where I was and how much better it is today. Nothing will ever be perfect but I can appreciate all that I have instead of concentrating on all that I don't have. It's a total waste of time and it brings those things into your life. My favorite most recent quote :"Worrying is praying for what you don't want". I'm really happy for you Gbeana and I wish you a continued, grateful journey.
quit worrying about looks. Who gives a rats a3s about turkey necks and sagging arms! What about before they lost weight when they were fat roll after fat roll. Oh...that Is attractive compared to turkey necks???
Nice comment. Congrats on your success!